Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Auditions

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Hopefuls audition in Los Angeles, Nashville, New Orleans, and New York City. They include a teacher from Michigan, a construction worker from Alabama, and a goat farmer from Oklahoma.

It’s refreshing to see Katie with less makeup and a more casual dress.  

Best sob story yet.  Brandon’s mother traded him for a car.  That mother couldn’t do it either and put him up for adoption.  Mother #3 worked out. 

• Love 3

I feel like we’ve gone back to the “ loud is the new good” (tm TWoP) days of early Idol seasons. Dynamics aren’t just a good idea, people - I’d like to see the contestants show just a leetle bit of contrast. My ears are about to start bleeding.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Wings said:

It’s refreshing to see Katie with less makeup and a more casual dress.  

Best sob story yet.  Brandon’s mother traded him for a car.  That mother couldn’t do it either and put him up for adoption.  Mother #3 worked out. 

But then she died :( That was a super sad story.

Surprised the '90s looking vocal coach didn't make it. She seemed familiar.

Why would you bring your dog into the audition?!

The guy at the piano in that segment didn't sound that bad.

I wanted goat farm guy to sound better than he did.

Did that one sister really think they weren't going to ask the other sister to sing?? That's how David Cook came on this show.

Lastly, Marco and his baby got me. Tears. His singing to his son was wonderful.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, niklj said:

Why would you bring your dog into the audition?!

I was wondering that, too. After the first accident, they should've just taken the dog offstage the rest of the time.

The girl who was born the year "Idol" debuted made me feel old :p. And on the note of birthdays, I looked it up and realized Katy Perry and I were born the same month and year. I'm just a couple weeks or so older than her. 

• Love 1

I think production wanted her to bring the dog in.  Her mother or whoever came with her was to tend to the dog as she audituoned.  It may have even been their dog. Why it even was brought to the venue shall remain a mystery!  

I loved this show with the original judges.  Every new group since have been terrible.  Do i dare hope this year will be good?  The trick is to keep it short and to the point, this is not about you. 

The judges should be in the music business but NOT performers. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

They are wasting too much air time on the gimmicks, the sob stories.  The live shows will be very limited as is and the producers already know who has advanced from the auditions.  They should be giving more air time to building narratives with viewers with contestants who are legit competitors.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

They are wasting too much air time on the gimmicks, the sob stories.  The live shows will be very limited as is and the producers already know who has advanced from the auditions.  They should be giving more air time to building narratives with viewers with contestants who are legit competitors.

I don't mind the antics, showing fewer auditions is fine with me.  They used to be endless IIRC.  We will get plenty more packages from the top 10.  

• Love 2

The show is so so boring! But then again it was boring with Jlo and the other duds as judges, that is why ratings went down and Fox cancelled it! Why would  ABC think of bringing it back?

I guess this is why they resort to dogs coming on and pooping on the floor, and  fart jokes.   So desperate!

For all of the hype and paying Katy over 20 million, the ratings are not anything that good.  The Good Doctor at 10pm on ABC had higher ratings last night!

I think the Voice is nothing but a gimmick show too, but somehow people like it.    

Neither of these shows have been about finding a star for a long time.  It's all about antics.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, summerdaze said:

The show is so so boring! But then again it was boring with Jlo and the other duds as judges, that is why ratings went down and Fox cancelled it! Why would  ABC think of bringing it back?

I guess this is why they resort to dogs coming on and pooping on the floor, and  fart jokes.   So desperate!

For all of the hype and paying Katy over 20 million, the ratings are not anything that good.  The Good Doctor at 10pm on ABC had higher ratings last night!

I think the Voice is nothing but a gimmick show too, but somehow people like it.    

Neither of these shows have been about finding a star for a long time.  It's all about antics.

I agree.   I think AI could have gone on without the original 3 had they stuck with the formula.  That being, none of the judges were singers but all were in the entertainment field.  They did not act as coaches.  They gave their opinion and the coach (behind the scene) would work with them on the feedback.  

The voice draws it out way too long.  Blind auditions are fun to watch but it stops there.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Wings said:

I think production wanted her to bring the dog in.  Her mother or whoever came with her was to tend to the dog as she audituoned.  It may have even been their dog. Why it even was brought to the venue shall remain a mystery!  

I loved this show with the original judges.  Every new group since have been terrible.  Do i dare hope this year will be good?  The trick is to keep it short and to the point, this is not about you. 

The judges should be in the music business but NOT performers. 

I agree with everything you said.  I told my husband last night that I seriously miss Simon, Paula and Randy as judges in the first airing of the show.  I can't stand Katy Perry and the fart jokes were unnecessary.  I miss Simon giving serious critiques, telling people they are just not up to par with their singing and being honest with them. He was funny, too. I also miss the bad performances, my humor is dark and wicked and I loved the two guys that met during auditions.  One of them was the guy that did the NSync song that Simon said he looked like one of those animals with the massive eyes. Paula and Randy laughing hysterically!  I like Lionel the best of the three, Luke is ok, I guess.  But I miss the old days on Idol badly.  And the sob stories are getting old, I find myself fast forwarding those.

Edited by Thorkim
Forgot the sob stories.
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Thorkim said:

I agree with everything you said.  I told my husband last night that I seriously miss Simon, Paula and Randy as judges in the first airing of the show.  I can't stand Katy Perry and the fart jokes were unnecessary.  I miss Simon giving serious critiques, telling people they are just not up to par with their singing and being honest with them. He was funny, too. I also miss the bad performances, my humor is dark and wicked and I loved the two guys that met during auditions.  One of them was the guy that did the NSync song that Simon said he looked like one of those animals with the massive eyes. Paula and Randy laughing hysterically!  I like Lionel the best of the three, Luke is ok, I guess.  But I miss the old days on Idol badly.  And the sob stories are getting old, I find myself fast forwarding those.

I used to even like Jimmy Iovine, Everyone would be so upset that he was very tough and sometimes really brutal, but he is a record producer, and some of the cocky jerks needed to be brought down to reality.  

Now it's so sappy! It has been since Jlo and her "baby" BS, along with Steven Tyler coming on to the young girls.

The problem now is that it's so politically correct.  No one can say someone stinks.   

I hate the Voice too, that is all about the stupid judges getting more publicity or reviving careers!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, summerdaze said:

I used to even like Jimmy Iovine, Everyone would be so upset that he was very tough and sometimes really brutal, but he is a record producer, and some of the cocky jerks needed to be brought down to reality.  

Now it's so sappy! It has been since Jlo and her "baby" BS, along with Steven Tyler coming on to the young girls.

The problem now is that it's so politically correct.  No one can say someone stinks.   

I hate the Voice too, that is all about the stupid judges getting more publicity or reviving careers!

Yeah, I liked Jimmy as well.  Agree with everything YOU'VE said as well as Wings.  With both shows being back to back on Mondays, I flip back and forth, but prefer Idol over The Voice.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Thorkim said:

And the sob stories are getting old, I find myself fast forwarding those.

Same for me.  This isn't supposed to be a remake of Queen for a Day. It seemed like they were sending so many people through to Hollywood based on their tales of woe in the first few cities that others with better voices were being turned away in the latest episode.  I'm sure they must have a limit on the number of preliminary contestants. 

When the return was first announced I was really hoping they would bring back the original judges.  Back when Simon was on the show it actually seemed like they were looking for someone who could have a career as a successful performance artist. It really went downhill after Simon left.  It's too early to tell how good or bad this panel of judges will be, but I'm not holding much hope for the former.  

• Love 1

Looks like this show has hit major desperation level!   Letting a dog on the set and trying to get laughs because he poops, and fart jokes.  Wow how low this once giant hit has sunk!

ABC has done everything, including having Kelly Ripa telling us how kids, one who is in college all put their phones away to watch Idol (which I do not believe).  

Katy Perry was a big mistake, but who didn't know she was a trainwreck way before this show?    There was a blind item revealed today that states she is coming to the show wasted.  That is not shocking, judging from her wacky behavior.   Unlike Paula,  who was flakey but entertaining, Katy is very obnoxious.

• Love 4

Genavieve isn't a "teacher." She's a kid whose whole life was taken away. A real teacher would be educated and would be paid. Her mother was so sick that Genavieve, at 12, had to take care of all the kids, and yet the mother just kept pumping out babies? Who was teaching Genavieve while she was teaching her siblings? Her parents are the worst. 

She has a lovely voice. I hope she makes it far and gets the heck away from those bloodsuckers. 

eta: I know the show called her a teacher, not you, MarkHB!

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 3

UGH I don't care about all of the ridiculous sob stories!  Such a gimmick!   And who didn't know Katy Perry is a mess?  Is Disney hiring idiots lately?  Katy Perry has been a trainwreck for  while.   And the irony of having someone who sings monotone judging voices is hillarious!  She is popular, has catchy songs, but as a vocalist she is horrible.  As a judge she's embarrassing!   So they have an accused sexual harasser as a host, and a person acting like a disgusting, childish horndog, who is obviously wasted as a judge. Good job ABC! 

And having Kelly Ripa tell us her three children turn off phones to watch this mess is just a bit much.   I get they have spent a ton of money moving Seacrest, having him co-host Live and also over 20 million on Katy, but the show was flopping on Fox.  Bringing it back was a stupid idea! 

Edited by orangekit
On 3/20/2018 at 11:57 AM, Thorkim said:

My husband still laughs hysterically when he recalls that bush baby comment about the guy with the big eyes. Good times, lol.

• Love 2

Goat Farm Country Boy - He reminds me a little of Chris Stapleton in both his look and voice. He had some pitch issues, but interesting tone I guess.

Girl of 10 Kids - She was ok, a little generic, but I think there is potential. 

Carrie Underwood Wannabe - I can't fathom why the judges put her through except for fodder purposes. Her vocals were off, she has a good look, but the voice isn't there IMO.

Other Brandon - his original wasn't bad, considering he's pretty new at singing. 

Happy Birthday Guy - I actually really liked his voice. I want to hear more.

Idol Baby - I didn't think she was as good as the judges said. 

Vocal Coach - I can't believe they didn't put her through. There were people way worse that they let through! I suspect they did it on purpose for that wildcard thing they did before the show premiered, thankfully she won the golden ticket there.

Dominique - I really liked him, though he may not sound very distinctive. 

Amalia - Her tone is unique, but sounds maybe a little put on. Liked her rendition of the song.

Asian Country Singer - He was alright. His original was better than his cover, but still not great IMO.

The Sisters - So obviously set up. At least they didn't completely diss the younger one and still gave her a ticket. They both kind of tried too hard IMO. The older sister was definitely better but IMO her voice sounds stylized and the accent is fake.

Crazy Hair - I was expecting him to be a joke audition, so he was better than I thought he'd be, but his audition felt a bit sleepy and boring.

Marcio - His voice is kind of average but he is very likable IMO. He reminds me of Will Smith for some reason.

Overall no one really stood out to me much except maybe Happy Birthday guy and a couple others. I'm glad we only have one more episode of auditions. Hollywood Week is my favorite round. :)

I dislike how they are going back and forth between cities with each contestant.  The original years of idol, they would make a big deal about going to a city, show us some of the city, talk to people in the lines and at least half if not the entire show was on one city. They used to have stats like 10,000 people came to XYZ city, 53 people made it in front of the judges and 19 got a golden ticket. Some cities had better talent then others which made some weeks better then others. It  was exciting to see your closest home city be shown. On top of missing the spotlight on the cities, jumping back and forth just makes me feel like they are putting together a show with clips that "fit" every week rather then the best talen

• Love 1