Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Cangku Shisi

The more relevant question is why does he have to be not in love with her?

I'd prefer it because I think partners being thrown together in the last episodes of the show is a cliche.

(edited)

Because they spent quite a few episodes in this show establishing the far more Brother / Sister relationship they had and how little interest either party had in being in a relationship with the other. His current feelings seem to rather come out of no where.

ETA: I'm going to blame an artifact, lets say the typewriter from the scriptwriters of Moonlighting. Charged with the will they / wont they tension of the show's famous couple, it causes any male & female pairings to become slowly attracted to each other and fall into love in a short period of time.

Edited by Lrdmordain
  • Love 8

I'm with you, lrdmordain, only I think the artifact should be something more like Cybill Sheppard's IUD, because I watched Moonlighting while it was still on the air and the audience didn't stop watching because they got together. We stopped watching because the leading lady's pregnancy led to the two of them not appearing together onscreen for most of a season after they had sex (and they treated that as something neither of them really intended). Mostly, they moped a lot.

I'm holding to Pete's explanation in the hockey episode. He's not in love with her, but he loves her, and she's the only one he thinks will accept his crazy life.

• Love 2

I wouldn't be opposed to the romance if they'd either started examining the idea earlier (Back when the vet was on the show would have been good since they used her for the reveal last week) or had more time to shift the relationship dynamic (for me they'd need one full 10+ episode season to get there).  Right now, knowing how short of a season we have, it feels a bit out of the blue.  It bugs me less than equivalent situations on other shows, though, because they're still playing it for laughs.  If the two are actively together by the end of the finale next week, I'll be really annoyed by it, I think.  Myka considering the option but no concrete yay or nay would be my ideal. 

• Love 1

How about because people who work together do not necessarily fall in love with each other.   Millions of people are perfectly able to work with members of the opposite sex for decades without UST.   Can we have just ONE show on tv where the partners are just work partners and do not wind up lovers?  

• Love 3
(edited)
and super master villians that can only be overcome by love

Actually, the device that hold Claire was overcome by love and Valda was overcome by Pete Lattimer.

Because they spent quite a few episodes in this show establishing the far more Brother / Sister relationship they had and how little interest either party had in being in a relationship with the other.

I had a recent re-watch. I'd wish people stop saying they established them as having brother/sister relationship, since it's counterintuitive and never happened in the actual show. Pete and Myka are very close friends, and Pete always liked Myka that way. Steve and Claudia have brother/sister relationship, Pete and Claudia have brother/sister relationship. Myka and Claudia have relationship of two sisters.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

In the episode where they got drunk from the artifacts, it was made literally clear by Myka that she doesn't like Pete that way in that there actual dialogue to that effect. I've seen nothing since then that indicated her feelings changed. I don't know what a brother/sister relationship means because I don't have siblings, but I have a platonic relationship with someone I love, and I don't see why this can't be something similar on WH13, mainly, as most pointed out, that this is done on 99% of television, and, this doesn't reflect real life. And it seems very much like that this is brought on more because the show is ending than anything else, cf. X Files. 

This is a classic 'know the show you have'. Is it necessary for the leads to get together in order for the show to be considered successful by TPTBs? No. Has the show portrayed the journey of several disparate characters into a tight-knit family who have shown genuine kindness and caring for one another? Absolutely. This is the show you have. It's good. 

How about because people who work together do not necessarily fall in love with each other.   Millions of people are perfectly able to work with members of the opposite sex for decades without UST.   Can we have just ONE show on tv where the partners are just work partners and do not wind up lovers?

Also, only the opposite sex characters. But, I don't think this is too much to ask. *Everyone is shipped.* I *cannot* stand when the names are smooshed together, like Pyka or Mete. Or Helyka. Or Melena. 

ETA: I'm going to blame an artifact, lets say the typewriter from the scriptwriters of Moonlighting. Charged with the will they / wont they tension of the show's famous couple, it causes any male & female pairings to become slowly attracted to each other and fall into love in a short period of time.

I absolutely believe this is an artifact. Bag it!

No offense to Claudia, whom I'm sure is 1 billion per cent thrilled her sister is back, but Claire needs to leave and travel around and see the world for a while. She's missed a lot. The WH probably has funds to put her through college too, if she wanted to go that route. Not that they have to be estranged, and can't see one another regularly, but go see the world too. 

• Love 1

After the telenovela fun, this episode was a real snoozer for me. So was the shark tattoo on Pete supposed to be product placement for the soon to air Sharknado 2, or was it a jump-the-shark reference for the episode, or both?

The more relevant question is why does he have to be not in love with her?

Because she's not in love with him--at least not that I recall seeing.

And even if he is in love with her, he's old enough to know that it's not going to happen so he needs to focus on what they do have together and cherish that. 

• Love 2

and even if it were going to happen, I can't imagine Myka trying a new kind of jam at breakfast without thinking about it for longer than a week.

• Love 3
And even if he is in love with her, he's old enough to know that it's not going to happen so he needs to focus on what they do have together and cherish that.

I think he knows there's no such thing as "no such thing". :)

• Love 1

Well, unless it does happen.  After all, the show is ending and this show doesn't fight all that hard against cliches sometimes.

Now that Claire is OK, do you think either of them will remember they have a brother and actually contact him???

Well they've only got around 45 minutes left to do so!!!

The Valda line was disappointing. That would have been excellent as a drawn out arc for six episodes than a spring-autumn delivery. As it stands there was nothing to sink the viewers teeth into. Which is a shame... Mark Sheppard is too talented for that sloppiness. 

I guess it was pretty obvious that they weren't going to let Claire lie there in a coma and I did like the rather quick thinking for Pete to resolve both Valda and Claire's lines. And using China for Warehouse 14... I had to admit that was a needle. Clearly where else would it go given the necessity of a host country that is a technologically global leader? But China is such an ugly country in terms of pollution, human right violations, oppression... the idea of the Warehouse there makes me shudder.

And the Myka - Pete bend... I gotta say I'm not opposed.  I'm more opposed to not seeing that develop... but that is more about not wanting the show to end. 

I didn't get the impression that the Regents change based on the Warehouse's location. Would it really matter all that much where the Warehouse was located? I didn't remember the US government being allowed to use it to the nefarious ends of the regime I gather they're concerned about.

I kept wondering why they even chose to use Valda. The tagline upthread mentions an old enemy returning...except Valda was never an enemy. He was a Regent. He might not have been big fans of the whole crew but he was never evil or out to get them. It doesn't make any sense, other than the fact Mark Sheppard is phenomenal and himself enjoys playing a villain. If they wanted to bring back a blast from the past evil for an episode, why not McPherson? He was the first bad guy Pete and Myka had to deal with.

Because they spent quite a few episodes in this show establishing the far more Brother / Sister relationship they had and how little interest either party had in being in a relationship with the other. His current feelings seem to rather come out of no where.

I agree with you. I thought the show did a great job of showing Myka and Pete as friends and family, nothing more. I loved that there was one show where partners could be best friends without it having to be something romantic.

Can we have just ONE show on tv where the partners are just work partners and do not wind up lovers?

merylinkid, The one with Mary and Marshall on TBS, whose name escapes me.  Marshall ended up with another woman and Mary ended up with a kid.  They were federal marshalls.  Damn!  What was the name of that?  Anyway, I was pleased that although Marshall seemed to have some feelings for Mary over the five seasons, the powers didn't put them together in the last episode as so many feared they would. The showed restraint.  If only the W13 powers had done the same.

Goldmoon said: merylinkid, The one with Mary and Marshall on TBS, whose name escapes me.  Marshall ended up with another woman and Mary ended up with a kid.  They were federal marshalls.  Damn!  What was the name of that?  Anyway, I was pleased that although Marshall seemed to have some feelings for Mary over the five seasons, the powers didn't put them together in the last episode as so many feared they would. The showed restraint.  If only the W13 powers had done the same.

The show was In Plain Sight, with Mary McCormack and Frederick Weller.  I, too, loved that they were best friends, work partners, obviously not meant for each other, and ultimately went on with their lives.

I was put off with the 11th hour love connection. 

But then I binge watched the whole series and I kind of get it. I think the writers actually intended for this to be the outcome, only they were incredibly subtle about it. There were quite a few hints through the seasons that there was more there than a partners/platonic relationship going on. 

I didn't either. I remember an entire episode was centered around the fact that Myka wouldn't have slept with Pete, so when they woke up in bed, she knew something was up. There was actual dialogue to this end. It seemed pretty clear that they were platonic to me.