Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Nā keiki a Kaloihaohia (The Children of Kaloihaohia)

• Start Topic

When the corpse of a diamond smuggler is stolen from a graveyard, Five-0 tracks down his partner, Voss (guest star "American Idol" winner Phillip Phillips), who will stop at nothing to retrieve their latest batch of contraband. Also, Adam recruits a new confidential informant, Jessie Nomura (Christine Ko); Tani gets a devastating call; and McGarrett tasks Pua to find his and Danny's stolen tools.

Original Airdate: January 19, 2018

SOURCE: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=49283

I had my fill of another round of mindless, childish arguing and finger-pointing between Steve and Danno after a few minutes and switched over to a movie. Did the writers not have enough plot to fill the hour? Was it too hard for Hawaii's Finest to admit that they had a failure to communicate and then move on with the investigation into the theft? As business partners, this is not a match made in heaven.

I'm glad they found a way to keep Adam in the fold like they did with Jerry. The show has a LOT invested in these characters.

• Love 1

I thought the diamond smuggling plot was quite good although, as so often happens, it was foreshortened to allow for all the other multiple plots - but then, I do admire how the writers are really trying to incorporate all the main characters, plus the more peripheral ones too, to make the Ohana work again, albeit with the many and varied secondary plots. It is a shame that they often waste the potential of a decent plot and just accept the shallow with a hand-wave and move on. Yeah, they have always done just that on this show!

It did irritate me that, surely, a death from malaria must be unusual enough that there would have been an autopsy on the diamond smuggler. Also, not keen on the close up of guts and diamonds spewing from the multiple stomach wounds (and that came right after I was pleasantly surprised that the perp had left the lady alive and seemed to be actually going to be arrested not killed - before then being shot down in the street, as per!). 

The actress playing Tani is killing it. The guy playing Junior is not.

As to the guys bickering over fault in such circumstances - I found the blame game entirely credible. If this had happened in my household, my other half and I would be going at it for weeks - it would become a 'go-to' in family lore and re-visited over and over...but then we are a married couple! 

• Love 1

Thanks 5-0, I was hoping this episode would be extra gross. I picture the writers being like:

Writer 1: We haven't done a gross-out episode since Halloween! What can we do that will really make the audience lose their stomachs?

Writer 2: Lose their stomachs? Oh, I've got an idea!

Is there only ever one person working at the Medical Examiner's office? No receptionist, no security, no cleaners, just one overworked ME who doubles as a ghetto doctor for the medical issues 5-0 would rather not have put in the system?

Speaking of the ever-continuing corruption that 5-0 spreads everywhere they go, Pua is into it now too. He uses some questionable tactics on the pawn shop owner and when he finds out where those tools went he just up and lies about it! I think it would have been a much better ending if he told 5-0 what happened (hey guys, remember when your buddy Duclair burned half the goddamn island down?) and they all showed up at the end to help that family rebuild.

• Love 5

I was wondering who Danny wanted to bring in as third partner. Who would be crazy enough to put up with those two?

The actress playing Tani was really good in the scene where she confronted her brother. Unfortunately the lesson Lou wanted Tani to learn does not seem to have stuck. I also wondered how much emergency medical equipment an ME normally has in store. But maybe Max left Noelani a note: 'Be prepared to deal with all sorts of crazy and make sure the drug cabinet is always well stocked - don't forget to check the elephant tranquilizer.'

• Love 1

With the opiod crisis, I'm sure Noelani would have a very well stocked naloxone cabinet. You can get kits for free here right now it's so bad.

I have no investment in Koa at all. Not interesting to me in the least.

I do love Pua. He looked different to me - couldn't figure out if the actor changed his hair or something, because he looked different but I couldn't put my finger on why. I did love how he didn't reclaim the tools - because wasn't that fire the one Steve lifted the house out of? Yeah, you let them keep those tools lol.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

I have no investment in Koa at all. Not interesting to me in the least.

I do love Pua. He looked different to me - couldn't figure out if the actor changed his hair or something, because he looked different but I couldn't put my finger on why. I did love how he didn't reclaim the tools - because wasn't that fire the one Steve lifted the house out of? Yeah, you let them keep those tools lol.

He’s lost weight.  It’s noticeable and he looks good.  I like how they made the bumbling mall cop of early on, a compassionate and intelligent police officer.

Yeah, gotta agree with you abt Koa, but Meghan Rath was amazing in that scene.  I like how she made it abt her “you can’t leave me, you’re my only family”.  Letting Koa know how it would affect her.

Danny & Steve were both wrong abt the keys.  Danny shouldn’t have assumed that Steve would lock up since he was last to leave, but how stupid was Steve in thinking Danny was going to lock up while he’s still there?!  Really, anyplace I’ve ever worked, the last one to leave locks up & sets the alarm.  Why didn’t Steve think of that? And apparently he controlled the decision to not get insurance?  How stupid is that?  And how stupid was Danny for letting Steve get away with it?

Though i wish what Pua had done, was go back to S&D and tell them abt the family who bought their tools at the pawn shop.  And maybe 5-0 and HPD could help the family get in their home sooner, and then the guys get the tools back, or they tool share and work on both places.

I’m not gonna blame Steve or 5-0 on the fire,  that was entirely on DuClair and Joey Lawrence.

ETA:  I just saw @dwmarch posted the same idea re: the burned out family.  Maybe we should write for the show.

ETA2:  I kept thinking abt how gleeful & excited Max would probably be for this case.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3

Is there anyone who enjoys the Steve and Danny bitchfests?  I hit mute until the scene changes.

I am so sick of the “I promised (fill in the blank) I would take care of you” storylines.   Hey Dad, Grandma, whomever - they are grown adults, don’t ask me to take care of them, tell them to grow up and take care of their own damn selves.  

And they can get rid of the screwup/criminal/evil family member crap anytime, as well.  Does anyone on this show just have plain, boring family members?   No medical crises, no secret lovers, just accountants or teachers or regular folks of any stripe.

I thought when Pua mentioned to Kamekona about watching his diet that we were supposed to make the connection between character and actor.  Pua has lost some of his “baby face” and maybe that is why they gave him more gravitas as a cop.  I never liked the bumbling act they gave him before. 

• Love 3

Really think that it is nice that Pua helped out and let that of the workers trying to work to keep the tools. After what happened. Steve and Danny would had done the same thing if they were investigating. Wished in a sense it was Duke doing it.  But glad they gave Pua a nice long role

Also the family thing with Adam. Needs to go. And really thought that new female informant would had walked out due to him killing his brother or half-brother.

But think that Steve and Danny need to split the money up over on the tools. And really Steve takes it all out on Danny. Danny is the one stuck with the short end of the stick. Very rarely Steve does. And that is why at times he can be a major league bleep.

Time for Tani to stop playing nice to her brother with tough love. Next time he gets himself in trouble. It will be out of her hands.  And it should be out of her hands.  Really he puts a lot on her.

Overall it was a so so 7/10!

5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I thought when Pua mentioned to Kamekona about watching his diet that we were supposed to make the connection between character and actor.  Pua has lost some of his “baby face” and maybe that is why they gave him more gravitas as a cop.  I never liked the bumbling act they gave him before. 

He’s lost some of his waist line, too.

I don’t think he was ever a bumbling cop.  He did a good job of crowd control when evil Desmond took control of the a Palace - he was in the academy then.  He did a good job investigating the stolen tree that Steve chopped down.  I think he was only bumbling as a mall cop, and when around Kono.

• Love 2

With the opiod crisis, I'm sure Noelani would have a very well stocked naloxone cabinet. You can get kits for free here right now it's so bad.

Maybe I don't understand all that the job entails, but why would a coroner have any drugs or medicine?  Isn't everyone they come into contact with already dead?

The way the Koa character is written, he is a complete loser and basically has no redeeming values. I kept hoping the overdose was lethal. Do they intend to have the character do a 180 at some point?

I understand why Pua did not relay the information to Steve and Danny, but he essentially lied to them by omission of the facts. And, he probably broke some law by not confiscating the re-sold stolen merchandise. Sure, no one on the show ever seems to be 100% truthful, but I wonder if this will come back at some point in the future? He tried to give himself an out by saying he would keep investigating although Steve seemed to write it off at that time. At least Kamekona provided some food for the information as he made Pua purchase some merchandise. In one of the early shows, McGarrett had to give him straight cash without any crustaceans in the deal at all.

I think the "bring someone else in" is going to be Danny's uncle. That would be convenient as they don't have to turn him into a regular, and it might mean Danny and Steve can eventually agree on something if the Uncle goes in a completely different direction. As to the argument of who should have locked up, any moron would know that the last one out locks up. If he didn't have the keys, he could have called Danny to come back with the keys. You are talking logic that any simple child could understand, but I didn't find the back and forth "cute" at all. These are responsible adults. Sometimes. Also, I'm sure Noelani broke some type of law by treating Koa and not reporting the issue. And, has he really been using opioids for a year and his sister never noticed? Not very perceptive.

I think there may have been only two deaths this time? The graveyard security guy and the diamond thief. After the mass shootings in the drug lord episode, a big change. I think the body count tends to ebb and flow a lot, so another mass die-off is due soon. And, why haven't they thought about the computer genius being behind this crime wave?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GustheCat said:

The way the Koa character is written, he is a complete loser and basically has no redeeming values. I kept hoping the overdose was lethal. Do they intend to have the character do a 180 at some point?

I understand why Pua did not relay the information to Steve and Danny, but he essentially lied to them by omission of the facts. And, he probably broke some law by not confiscating the re-sold stolen merchandise. Sure, no one on the show ever seems to be 100% truthful, but I wonder if this will come back at some point in the future? He tried to give himself an out by saying he would keep investigating although Steve seemed to write it off at that time. At least Kamekona provided some food for the information as he made Pua purchase some merchandise. In one of the early shows, McGarrett had to give him straight cash without any crustaceans in the deal at all.

I think the "bring someone else in" is going to be Danny's uncle. That would be convenient as they don't have to turn him into a regular, and it might mean Danny and Steve can eventually agree on something if the Uncle goes in a completely different direction. As to the argument of who should have locked up, any moron would know that the last one out locks up. If he didn't have the keys, he could have called Danny to come back with the keys. You are talking logic that any simple child could understand, but I didn't find the back and forth "cute" at all. These are responsible adults. Sometimes. Also, I'm sure Noelani broke some type of law by treating Koa and not reporting the issue. And, has he really been using opioids for a year and his sister never noticed? Not very perceptive.

I think there may have been only two deaths this time? The graveyard security guy and the diamond thief. After the mass shootings in the drug lord episode, a big change. I think the body count tends to ebb and flow a lot, so another mass die-off is due soon. And, why haven't they thought about the computer genius being behind this crime wave?

No crustaceans were involved in some of McGarrett's/Five-0's early dealings with Kamekona because when they originally met, Kamekona was only running Waiola Shave Ice, a shave ice stand (it may have multiple locations). At that point (at least in the Pilot), McGarrett & Danno just had to stand around in Waiola Shave Ice t-shirts, holding &/or consuming shave ice in front of others, to get the info. The shrimp truck (& I think Taylor Wily, aka Kamekona, is a partner in/an owner of 1 in real life) wasn't added to Kamekona's business ventures until the end of S1/beginning of S2. Kamekona's also run a island sightseeing helicopter, which I think he still has; & a boat/catamaran sightseeing vessel, which broke apart during a sightseeing tour test run involving Kamekona, Max Bergman, & others besides Steve & Danny I've forgotten.

On 1/20/2018 at 1:03 AM, Bobbin said:

I had my fill of another round of mindless, childish arguing and finger-pointing between Steve and Danno after a few minutes and switched over to a movie.

The entire restaurant plot has been insufferable since its inception. I don't care who lost the keys. You're adults. 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:50 AM, Mittengirl said:

I thought when Pua mentioned to Kamekona about watching his diet that we were supposed to make the connection between character and actor.  

That scene was worth it for the "why don't you get something to eat while I think of those names?"

20 hours ago, Passepartout said:

But think that Steve and Danny need to split the money up over on the tools. And really Steve takes it all out on Danny. Danny is the one stuck with the short end of the stick. Very rarely Steve does. And that is why at times he can be a major league bleep.

For once, I'd like for Danny to just snap and unload on Steve and put this inane bickering to bed. You know why no one drives my car? Because I have the keys and I don't let them! Very simple. 

I'll give the show points for an interesting story with the diamonds though. 

I really gave zero interest in the brother druggie plot. Good to see Adam fitting right into Five 0 by deciding to not get police involved. Dude, not my problem. Call 911 and let it go. 

• Love 1
On 1/20/2018 at 2:48 AM, dwmarch said:

He uses some questionable tactics on the pawn shop owner and when he finds out where those tools went he just up and lies about it! I think it would have been a much better ending if he told 5-0 what happened (hey guys, remember when your buddy Duclair burned half the goddamn island down?) and they all showed up at the end to help that family rebuild.

I don't think lying about it was smart either. It was short sighted. Who's to say there aren't other families there trying to rebuild too. Letting them know about it, they could have thought of ways to get people to help or raise awareness. 

I don't think the pawn shop was that bad. I mean, the guy could have just said come back with a warrant. Or just not lied. He didn't technically do anything wrong. How would he know that the tools were stolen? The cop wasn't there to take the money back for selling them. 

As much as I hate the restaurant, a third person with actual experience and to mediate disputes is a smart professional decision. The third could just have a minority stake, but these idiots have no idea what they're doing. 

I'd have to say that a show about investigating organized crime on the island is a promising idea. I wouldn't like it if they use the typical Five 0 trampling on civil rights tactics, but going undercover, building actual RICO cases could be interesting. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

I also wondered how much emergency medical equipment an ME normally has in store.

Apparently opioids like carfentanil are so concentrated, that they can sometimes cause first responders to OD while treating patients or collecting evidence. I suppose that however the first responders are being exposed could also impact the ME, so it would make sense to have some naloxone just in case.

I wish Pua had told them the truth about the tools because that might have been a wake up call to stop with all the complaining. 

The diamond thief made no sense. He shot and buried the security guard alive, but took the time to tie up the mortician and left the wife alone. The security guard never saw his face, so he could have just left him. The other two did see his face. If he hadn't have killed anyone and skipped shooting the security guard, the police would have shown very little interest in the case. Danny lives down the street from somebody who steals body parts.

One of the symptoms of malaria is diarrhea. Those diamonds should have taken the express route out. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ganesh said:

That scene was worth it for the "why don't you get something to eat while I think of those names?"

I was just laughing seeing that Kamekona picked up a yaya holding his umbrella and picking up the yes man role from cousin Flippa. Real life though I can't help but worry about Taylor Wiley's health

On 1/20/2018 at 1:34 AM, Roselle said:

I was pleasantly surprised that the perp had left the lady alive and seemed to be actually going to be arrested not killed - before then being shot down in the street, as per!).

On 1/21/2018 at 6:17 PM, kili said:

The diamond thief made no sense. He shot and buried the security guard alive, but took the time to tie up the mortician and left the wife alone. The security guard never saw his face, so he could have just left him. The other two did see his face. If he hadn't have killed anyone and skipped shooting the security guard, the police would have shown very little interest in the case. Danny lives down the street from somebody who steals body parts.

That's what I thought too.  He's already killed a man, he's not going to get more time for killing a couple more.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:25 AM, ganesh said:

"How about I don't while I find the Latin for obstruction of justice?"

• Love 1