Type keyword(s) to search

Sisterly Series Anticipation

• Start Topic

The Briney family apparently will have additional challenges finding new sister-wives seeing as how the wives apparently can only have first names beginning with the letter "A" (Drew, April, Auralee, and Angela Briney). 

I crack myself up . . . !

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Gobi said:

Isn't this illegal?

I guess, no.  A bunch of people living together in a house is what this basically is.      **shrugs**  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Gobi said:

Isn't this illegal?

It's usually a legal marriage to the first wife and "spiritual" marriages to the rest of the wives. Legal in all states except Utah, which has a law that a man can't live with any number of women claiming to be his wives. But Utah doesn't cite or prosecute for those violations. If a man is legally married to multiple women, that is illegal in all states.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

It's usually a legal marriage to the first wife and "spiritual" marriages to the rest of the wives. Legal in all states except Utah, which has a law that a man can't live with any number of women claiming to be his wives. But Utah doesn't cite or prosecute for those violations. If a man is legally married to multiple women, that is illegal in all states.

Thanks. I wonder if they could be charged with adultery, presuming adultery is still against the law anywhere.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Gobi said:

I wonder if they could be charged with adultery, presuming adultery is still against the law anywhere.

The only thing polygamists are usually charged with is domestic violence, child abuse and misuse of government social assistance programs. 

• Love 7
On 1/7/2018 at 7:14 AM, Gobi said:

Isn't this illegal?

Watch the link.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:15 PM, b2H said:

Reading the summary of this show, it doesn't appear that Mormonism is a foundation for these decisions.

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/meet-the-families-of-seeking-sister-wife/

There is a sad scene of the Mormon father trying to explain to his umpteen little kids why they have to keep their lifestyle a secret. A mess! Those poor little babies!

I don't get it. Are these family units just starting with the presupposition that a man can't be faithful to one woman? So, they construct a situation where it's permissible for the man to cheat?

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

I don't get it. Are these family units just starting with the presupposition that a man can't be faithful to one woman? So, they construct a situation where it's permissible for the man to cheat?

I just haven't been able to come up with any other idea.  It's demeaning to the women; it's not looking all that good for the guy.  And the kids get to deal with the trauma.  Tell me again how this is such a great thing......?

Not you, @NowVoyager, but just in general.

• Love 10

I always assumed it was because Mormons push having big families.  I knew a few Mormons when I was in school, and they all had at least 5-6 kids - sometimes more.  And many had kids in high school and kids in diapers at the same time.

• Love 3
On 1/8/2018 at 7:18 PM, bref said:

They couldnt find one plural relationship with two husbands instead?

There are ones I've read about in Africa.  I think two brothers shared a wife. 

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 1
On 2018-01-08 at 7:18 PM, bref said:

They couldnt find one plural relationship with two husbands instead?

There was a show on TLC briefly with one woman and two husbands It was called Brother Husbands.  They had 4 children two boys with the first husband and triplet girls with the second.  If memory serves there was only a few episodes and it hasn't been seen since.

Thank you for that info. I know that plural marriages with multiple husbands are much rarer than the opposite, but that makes them even more intriguing. I wish TLC had dug a little deeper to find one!

• Love 1
On 1/8/2018 at 9:55 AM, NowVoyager said:

Well, technically the man isn't cheating.  He's not sneaking off to sleep with random women.  I don't agree with it at all, but they do know who he's sleeping with.  

On 1/7/2018 at 7:53 PM, peaceknit said:

So..is this show scripted, or is it semi-scripted like Sister Wives?

Probably, like all reality shows.  I don't know any nowadays that aren't manipulated for dramatic scenes.

On 1/9/2018 at 0:23 PM, funky-rat said:

I always assumed it was because Mormons push having big families.  I knew a few Mormons when I was in school, and they all had at least 5-6 kids - sometimes more.  And many had kids in high school and kids in diapers at the same time.

I'm probably not explaining this right, but Mormons have this belief that each man has his own planet after death and the more populated it is, the closer to God or something.  But the mans wife and family will also be with him after death so they're trying to populate his planet as much as possible.  That's where in the old days of Mormonism, men took multiple wives.  

• Love 1
On 1/14/2018 at 9:49 AM, Mya said:

There was a show on TLC briefly with one woman and two husbands It was called Brother Husbands.  They had 4 children two boys with the first husband and triplet girls with the second.  If memory serves there was only a few episodes and it hasn't been seen since.

Ooooh, I can see where that could be a little messy!