Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

What's your 2017 pop culture gift to the world?
Alex McLevy, Sean O'Neal, Gwen Ihnat, Josh Modell, Clayton Purdom, Danette Chavez, Matt Gerardi, Erik Adams, Kyle Ryan, Caitlin PenzeyMoog, Sam Barsanti, William Hughes, and Nick Wanserski    December 29, 2017
https://www.avclub.com/whats-your-2017-pop-culture-gift-to-the-world-1821400867

Sam Barsanti
I won’t rest until everyone has accepted the greatness of The CW’s superhero shows, so I’d be happy to present everyone with “Crisis On Earth-X,” this year’s four-part crossover event that saw the heroes from Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, and DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow teaming up to fight Nazis from an alternate universe. The previous crossovers—which began with comparatively straightforward Arrow and Flash episodes a few years ago—have all been pretty fun, but they never worked as brilliantly as “Crisis On Earth-X.” It was the first time the cast of every show really seemed to be working together in ways that felt true to their respective storylines and ongoing arcs, all while mixing things up with different characters that had never even interacted before—most notably in a blatantly fan-service-based hook-up that smartly evolved into some touching character development. “Crisis On Earth-X” has everything you could want in a superhero story, including huge stakes, tension-breaking humor, a tragic sacrifice, and even a wedding (or two).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

From Irreconcilable Differences thread:

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

The newbs have been hit in the head a lot.  That might make a difference in cognitive ability and decision making.  

Lol.  Reminds me of the (tongue-in-cheek) argument about Lex on Smallville, that it was no wonder he eventually went evil with the number of times he got hit on the head. :)

I think there was even a site somewhere that kept a knock-out count.  I'll have to see if I can find that. 

Also reminds me of Black Widow telling Hawkeye that "cognitive recalibration" is how she broke Loki's brainwashing effect. :)

ETA:  Found it! The Smallville Knockout Count!  It's been updated since I last looked at it; I don't remember Lois having more than Lex last I looked.  Tells you how long ago that was, I suppose.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

I don't particularly want WestAllen or Olicity to get pregnant this season, especially for The Flash they've got a few seasons to go and time travel to bring in future children or grandchildren so no reason they should rush things.

Agreed. But I think the danger is low because I also think the writers don't want to get their leads pregnant any time soon, these type of shows they really don't want to focus on babies and kids.

• Love 1

TVLine Readers' 2018 Wish List for the Arrowverse, Grey's, The 100, Younger, NCIS, Horror Story, The Gifted and More
By Team TVLine / December 25 2017
http://tvline.com/2017/12/25/reader-wish-list-2018-arrow-greys-anatomy-ncis/

“Since this season’s theme on Arrow is ‘family,’ I would love to see Felicity getting pregnant at the end of Season 6 and having a baby in Season 7. My ‘Olicity’ ‘shipper heart would explode of happiness.” –Silvia
“I wish for [The Flashs] Barry and Iris to get a proper wedding/reception minus the interruptions and [with] their close friends and family in attendance.” –Penny
“My wish would be for Fox’s producers/writers on The Gifted to remember that the show is about mutants and not just the Strucker family. I don’t mind them, but the constant focus is getting tiresome.” –Rashida
“My biggest wish is for John Constantine to be recruited permanently into the Arrowverse. With Jax and Martin gone, there is room on Team Legends. If I can’t have a non-animated Constantine show, I think he’d be a great fit on Legends of Tomorrow, and not just for two episodes.” –Mel
“I wish for Floriana Lima to return to Supergirl as a cast member… I wish for her to have her own story arc and work to bring down Cadmus or bring back Jeremiah. I hope she becomes Captain Sawyer like in the comics, and maybe her and Alex can find their way back to each other.” –Ladekeysha
“That the DC streaming series Titans lives up to all its hype. As a huge comic book fan (especially of the Teen Titans), I cannot possibly be more excited for it!” –Tyler

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

2017 In Review: Quotes of the Year!
By Team TVLine / December 17 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/17/best-tv-quotes-2017-game-of-thrones-riverdale-photos/

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
“I love you.”

“I know.”

Hunter (Nick Blood) sents Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) to fight a war among the stars
SUPERGIRL
“Did I mention that I’m a black belt?”

[Lena KOs Jack’s CFO]

“Did I mention that I’m a Luthor?”

Lena (Katie McGrath) does the family name proud
ARROW
"When I think of all the people that I have lost… I remember the choices that I was forced to make in light of those tragedies. Some choices were easy. But the important choices, the choices that were worth making, they were hard. And hard choices require bravery. Fortunately, we live in the home of the brave. And we don't run from hard choices. We rise up, and we face tomorrow together."

Mayor Queen (Stephen Amell) addresses the citizens of Star City following a violent attack that sparked questions about gun control
THE FLASH
"I've actually seen [Barry] sing."

"What? You have? How have we not made a GIF of that?!"

Cisco (Carlos Valdes), speaking for all of the Internet
DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
"I refuse to set foot on the Titanic! Whoever built that ship should be shot."

Stein serves up a nod to portrayer Victor Garber's film role as shipbuilder Thomas Andrews
DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (Bonus Quote!)
"You know I can't say no when you look at me like that."

"That is why I look at you like that."

And with that sweet exchange, The Ray (Russell Tovey) and Leo-X (Wentworth Miller) just became our favorite Arrowverse couple

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

2017 in Review: The 10 Worst Shows
By Team TVLine / December 6 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/06/worst-shows-2017-twin-peaks-marvels-iron-fist-tv/

4. MARVEL’S IRON FIST
The first major dent in Netflix’s Marvel superhero armor, this slog of a story tested our patience from Episode 1, elicited superhuman eyerolls with its bare-footed hero traipsing around New York and stacked the odds against itself with a low-charisma (sorry, “chill”) lead performance. But worst of all for such a series, and specific to this character, the fight scenes — hampered by frequent and painfully obvious doubling — lacked any exciting punch.
1. MARVEL’S INHUMANS
Some spot-on casting (oh, how we cheered the choice of Serinda Swan as Medusa!), a splashy IMAX premiere plan and a focused eight-episode run suggested that this Marvel series might serve up something special — a thrilling tale, tightly told. (And with an oversized canine, to boot!) Instead, woefully cheap-looking sets (that offset the lush Hawaii exteriors), shoddy CGI, a connect-the-dots storyline and incongruous acting styles (Shakespearean political intrigue vs. sitcom?) created a black hole of urgency, a wholly missable placeholder of a show that was practically buried on Friday nights and, in the end, delivered little payoff.  

2017 in Review: Saddest Cancellation, Guiltiest Pleasures, Underrated Actors, Biggest Disappointments and More
By Team TVLine / December 14 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/14/tv-shows-2017-best-worst-moments-game-of-thrones-this-is-us/

WORST NEW CHARACTER ON ESTABLISHED SHOW 
Sofia Falcone, Gotham
WORST OPENING CREDITS
Marvel’s Inhumans

2017 in Review: Best Couples, Worst Sex, Stellar Weddings, Senseless Deaths, Best Binges and More
By Team TVLine / December 15 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/15/2017-tv-best-worst-moments-this-is-us-glow-stranger-things-photos/

BEST PROPOSAL
Barry and Iris, The Flash
WORST PROPOSAL
Oliver and Felicity, Arrow
TV EVENT THAT LIVED UP TO THE HYPE
Arrowverse’s Crisis on Earth-X

Edited by tv echo

2017 in Review: OMG-est Plot Twists!
By Team TVLine / December 13 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/13/tv-plot-twists-2017-photos/

ARROWVERSE
Oliver-X and Kara-X are married!
THE FLASH
The Thinker switched bodies, and then framed Barry for his murder!
GOTHAM
Butch is fated to become Solomon Grundy!
MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
Jemma learns that Fitz, among others, had been replaced with an LMD!

2017 in Review: The 20 Funniest TV Moments of the Year
By Team TVLine / December 11 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/11/best-tv-2017-funniest-moments-scenes-comedy/

THE FLASH
Seeing Barry get flummoxed by this, that and the other speed suit “upgrade” — flotation and lockdown modes included, and to the point that he had to seek out a payphone — almost made us forget that he was in some jeopardy throughout.

2017 in Review: The 30 Character Deaths That Just About Killed Us
By Team TVLine / December 7 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/07/biggest-tv-deaths-2017-rayna-james-stefan-salvatore-viserion/

20. Martin Stein, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
Date of Death: Nov. 28, 2017

2017 in Review: TV's Workaholics — David Boreanaz, Christina Ochoa, Dominic Purcell and 22 Others
By Team TVLine / December 19 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/19/2017-busiest-tv-actors-kaitlin-olson-david-boreanaz-christina-ochoa/

Dominic Purcell
In addition to 20 episodes’ worth of Legends of Tomorrow, Purcell also helped stage another Prison Break for Fox (which admittedly was filmed in 2016 — no time machine needed!).

And before you ask: Due to his reduced presence in the Arrowverse, Purcell’s two-time costar Wentworth Miller didn’t quite make this year’s list.
Lexa Doig
When not firing Cupid’s arrow (or a suspect facsimile thereof) as a self-help guru on The Arrangement, Doig was battling Green Arrow as Talia al Ghul.

Edited by tv echo

TV Dictionary 2017: 37 Slangtastic New Terms From Grey's, This Is Us and More
By Charlie Mason / December 31 2017
https://tvline.com/2017/12/31/tv-dictionary-2017-words-terms-greys-anatomy-this-is-us-riverdale/

Beebo Day, Legends of Tomorrow
(n.) An alternative to Christmas, in a timeline where a temporally displaced talking toy from the 1990s was discovered by Norsemen and worshiped as a god
breakup cube, The Flash
(n.) A hologram-projecting box that one does not want to receive from their Earth-Two girlfriend. (Not to be confused with a similar-looking cube sent by scantily-clad girlfriends on Christmas and birthdays.)
The Gold Standard, The Flash
(n.)
A Barry-and-Iris level of romance and resilience that other couples can only hope their relationship attains

Edited by tv echo

Clearly, opinions will differ - these are just the Bleeding Cool guy's picks...

Arrow: The Best Episode of 2017
Posted by Dan Wickline December 30, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/30/arrow-the-best-episode-of-2017/

Moving over to take a look for the best Arrow episode of 2017, and I’m going to break a rule already. The episode of the season was actually two-episode. They were the ones that focused on the return of Deathstroke and the search for his son. The showed just how much the series has grown and changed over the six seasons while remind us what made the series a success in the first place. So the best episode(s) of Arrow for 2017 are: Deathstroke Returns and Promises Kept.

The Flash: the Best Episode of 2017
Posted by Dan Wickline December 30, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/30/the-flash-the-best-episode-of-2017/

2017 was a banner year for comic related television series. The number of shows currently in production seems mind-boggling compared to just a few years ago when the Flash first debuted in 2014. And while the show is the best performer on the CW, fans had been complaining about the darker, more serious tones that had been going through over season two and three, so for me the best episode of 2017 comes from the lighter Flash season four – Elongated Journey Into Night.

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: The Best Episode of 2017
Posted by Dan Wickline December 31, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/31/dcs-legends-best-episode-2017/

If you ask Marc Guggenheim, and people have, he will tell you the first season of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow was all about figuring out exactly what they were doing and the type of show it would be. By season two they realized that the bigger and crazier they got, the better the show was. They should be constantly circling the shark, but never actually head up the ramp for the jump. It’s a fine line that the got figured out near the end of the second season, and there was no better proof of that then the best episode of 2017: Doomworld.
Eobard Thawne had re-written history and made the world how he wanted it. The show could’ve gotten very dark, but instead the comedic beats worked even better. Damien Darhk making a super villain monologue was great, but having Malcolm not only call him on it, but identify it and compliment him on it was brilliant. There were the running gags of Nate’s mom’s sandwiches being so good and everyone punching Mick Rory when they got their memories back. And the fact we got to see Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) in a costume was just the icing on the cake.

Supergirl: The Best Episode of 2017
Posted by Dan Wickline December 31, 2017
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/31/supergirl-best-episode-2017/

Getting back to the best episodes of the Superhero shows, we turn to Supergirl. In 2017, the series was wrapping up its second season, but its first on the CW, and a lot of changes had been made with the move. It was a change from the CBS workplace drama style to the more superhero team CW series, and that included armor for James Olsen (Mehcad Brooks) and the introduction of Mon-El (Chris Wood). The second season was also about finding their place thematically in the Arrowverse, which they got pretty figured out by the second season finale when Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) had to make the choice to save the planet but at the cost of her relationship with Mon-El. And it was this decision that led to the best episode of 2017, from Supergirl’s third season: Wake Up.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

The Gold Standard, The Flash
(n.)
A Barry-and-Iris level of romance and resilience that other couples can only hope their relationship attains

Yes, I suppose you'd have to be resilient to overcome the fact that a version of your spouse tries to murder you to preserve his existence, 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Clearly, opinions will differ - these are just the Bleeding Cool guy's picks...

Hah, I agree with none of those picks, although both "Doomworld" and "Wake Up" were both highly enjoyable, they aren't by best picks for the shows. I actually looking forward to more Slade, but I was bored for a lot of Deathstroke Returns and it took me ages to get through "Promises Kept". Anything featuring Ralph Dibney in large doses is an automatic no for me, so EJIN was bad, he just isn't funny, especially after the AK revelations came to light. 

11 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Yes, I suppose you'd have to be resilient to overcome the fact that a version of your spouse tries to murder you to preserve his existence, 

Well if they'd allow Iris to get more than 2 minutes POV on that whole storyline the pairing would have been 100% more interesting during that mess. So much of the time she seemed really chill about her possible impending murder whilst comforting everyone (all the men) in her life. Personally I think the writer is dreaming if he thinks Barry/Iris's "Gold Standard" for a couple is going to catch on (the terms is already in general use anyway) but each to their own. Not sure "break up cube" is going to enter TV pop culture either. Beebo Day and Beebo himself certainly deserves to though, that fuzzy blue Furby knock off is one of the only things I agree with Reddit about. 

• Love 1

Warning: spoilers for tv shows, movies, and comics from the past year...

Captain Comics: It’s time to celebrate the best of 2017 genre entertainment
By Andrew A. Smith  Posted Dec 31, 2017
http://www.swtimes.com/entertainmentlife/20171231/captain-comics-its-time-to-celebrate-best-of-2017-genre-entertainment

10. Horn of plenty: At the beginning of 2017, comic-based shows had already taken over TV. Seventeen shows filled my DVR: “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” “Arrow,” “Daredevil,” “Fear the Walking Dead,” “The Flash,” “Gotham,” “Iron Fist,” “iZombie,” “Jessica Jones,” “Legends of Tomorrow,” “Lucifer,” “Luke Cage,” “Outcast,” “Preacher,” “Supergirl,” “The Walking Dead” and “Wynonna Earp.”
9. “What th-?” moments on TV: Given all those shows, it’s difficult to narrow down a list of heart-stopping moments. But here are a few:
‒ The season premiere of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” was one wild discovery after another. By the mid-season finale, “S.H.I.E.L.D.” was must-see television.

‒ Time stood still when Jim Gordon (and the audience) suddenly realized how thoroughly he’d been played in the mid-season finale of “Gotham.”

‒ “The Punisher” was a brutal, irresistible narrative that was good TV. But the PTSD subtext elevated it to Art.

8. Dynamic DC: Despite tepid response to its movies, DC Comics had some of the best moments of 2017:
‒ Batman proposed to Catwoman. That’s not really new, as it’s happened before. What’s new is writer Tom King’s exploration of the relationships and personalities of the Bat-family and friends as Bat and Cat embark on a life that appears based on an impossible compromise. Is that the definition of love, or just a surrender to need?
7. Marvel misery: Fandom Assembled rejected Marvel’s “Secret Empire” crossover event, at the center of which was a fascist Captain America. Is that event fatigue, or Trump fatigue? Either way, it left Marvel begging fans to give the story a chance and read it to the end.

To right the ship, Marvel booted Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso, and promoted an outsider to the U.S. wing of the company, C.B. Cebulski. who was previously vice president of brand management and development, Asia. But the honeymoon ended quickly when it turned out Cebulski had used a Japanese pseudonym to write for Marvel a few years ago while keeping his day job as an editor. What’s the Japanese equivalent of “Oy vey”?

Meanwhile, Marvel tried to counter DC’s successful “Rebirth” initiative with its own back-to-basics soft reboot called “Marvel Legacy.” However, the effort seemed lackluster and superficial to critics, leaving some retailers calling it more label than labor. Sales did not improve, and almost a dozen titles have already been tagged for cancellation.
6. Mayhem in the multiverse: All the DC heroes on The CW — from “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl” — teamed up to fight Nazis on a parallel Earth where evil versions of themselves ruled with lethal efficiency. Even if you don’t watch the four shows regularly, “Crisis on Earth-X” is a must-see.

5. Horn of plenty, the sequel: 2017 was perhaps the biggest year yet for geek fandom, with more than 30 genre movies. Adaptations led the way, including:
‒ Comics, American (“Atomic Blonde,” “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” “Justice League,” “Logan,” “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Wonder Woman”)
4. “What th-?” moments in film: Among those many movies were some jaw-dropping scenes at a theater near you:

‒ “Thor: Ragnarok” blew our minds with the (supposedly impossible) destruction of Mjolnir. Toss in the incineration of Asgard, Hulk vs. Thor, a lot of humor, Loki being Loki, the deaths of the Warriors Three, Valkyries in larger-than-life battle and every single thing Cate Blanchett said or did, and the Thunder God will never be quite the same again.
3. Welcome home, Spidey: “Spider-Man: Homecoming” had a lot of great bits. The scene where Adrian Toomes (The Vulture) realizes the kid he has in his back seat is Spider-Man was terrifying. The scene where the web-spinner is trapped under rubble was straight out of a famous issue of “Amazing Spider-Man” from 1966. But this movie’s (metatextual) triumph is Marvel’s flagship character returning to the fold.

2. Mouse eats Fox: Disney buying Fox’s entertainment production facilities, platforms and intellectual property happened off-screen, but is such a big story that it makes this list anyway. The good news: X-Men and Fantastic Four return to Marvel. The bad news: Fewer studios, less competition, reduced experimentation. Cross your fingers.

1. Show-stopper: From performances to imagery to soundtrack, “Wonder Woman” was easily the best superhero movie of the year, and gets its own entry on this list at No. 1. When Diana shrugged off her coat and advanced fearlessly into No Man’s Land, it was easy to forget that this was the first time we saw her “in uniform.” When Amazons battled Nazis so ferociously, it was easy to forget that they brought swords to a gunfight. When Gal Gadot inhabited the charming and principled Amazon so effortlessly, it was easy to forget how ridiculously beautiful she is.

Wonder Woman’s greatest feat, though, was not just crashing through Nazis — it was thoroughly demolishing the glass ceiling. Hollywood was long convinced that women couldn’t headline big superhero movies, an idea now residing in the ashcan of history. And with powerful men falling right and left on charges of sexual bullying, Wonder Woman becoming the symbol of superhero success in 2017 is timing so good, one wonders if Athena has taken a hand.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Best Underrated TV Shows of 2017
DECEMBER 30, 2017 by RAQUEL
http://fangirlish.com/best-underrated-shows-2017/

Extra: DCTV
Superheroes are on fire! With several adaptations in the cinema, the small screen also has space for them. I’m a faithful follower of two series of the so-called Arrowverse and I think the shows should reach a lot more fans. 

The series are based on their homonyms comics but the shows go much further than that. For me, for example, I don’t like comics at all, but, nevertheless, this type of series attracts me, especially those that have a darker, raw, and real tone.

They have changed for the better and created shows that are not only for comic fans but for any fan that simply wants to have a nice time living adventures with our heroes.
Little by little, they have been creating their own universe in our televisions and they have taught us – especially through concrete characters – that we are all heroes in our own way. You don’t need to be an expert in the fight, just do the right thing and fight for a better world in our own way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

IGN's top 5 superhero stories of 2017...

The Biggest DC and Marvel Moments of 2017 - IGN Daily Fix
Published on Dec 27, 2017, by IGN

5) Will Affleck Be Back as Batman?
4) Stewart Says He's Done with X-Men
3) Wonder Woman Breaks Record
2) Avengers: Infinity Trailer Arrives
1) Disney Buys Fox Film and TV Assets

Edited by tv echo

The 10 Best Arrowverse Episodes of 2017
By JENNA ANDERSON - January 1, 2018
http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/01/01/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-of-tomorrow-best-episodes-2017/

With so many Arrowverse episodes being released this year, we thought we'd take a look back (in mostly-chronological order) at the 10 that have become our favorites.
SLIDE 5/10 – "LIAN YU"
While all of the Arrowverse season finales offered some sort of shocking conclusion, Arrow completely blew things out of the water (pun intended).
"Lian Yu" completely changed the trajectory of Arrow, causing fans to speculate for months about the safety of their favorite characters. In the process, it provided a worthy bookend to Oliver's five years of flashback hell, truly signifying the start of a new era. And if that wasn't enough, the stellar action sequences and Stephen Amell's heartbreaking performance were icing on the cake.
SLIDE 7/10 – "DEATHSTROKE RETURNS"
As we previously mentioned, Arrow's sixth season helped take things into a new direction. But it perhaps was at its strongest when revisiting the past - particularly with Slade Wilson/Deathstroke (Manu Bennett).
What transpired was equal parts action and emotion, and definitely a standout of Arrow's sixth season thus far. And that climactic Deathstroke fight scene in the episode's end certainly made the years of Bennett's absence from the show worthwhile.
SLIDE 10/10 – "CRISIS ON EARTH-X"
And finally, the Arrowverse exceeded all expectations with "Crisis on Earth-X", this year's four-show crossover.
"Crisis on Earth-X" brought fans new partnerships and pairings, heartbreaking moments, and some truly delightful action sequences. As some have argued, it shows just what the DC Comics world is capable of, and has changed the course for television events to come.

SLIDE 1/10 – "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ART"
SLIDE 2/10 – "DUET"
SLIDE 3/10 – "CITY OF LOST CHILDREN"
SLIDE 4/10 – "INFANTINO STREET"
SLIDE 5/10 – "LIAN YU"
SLIDE 6/10 – "MIXED SIGNALS"
SLIDE 7/10 – "DEATHSTROKE RETURNS"
SLIDE 8/10 – "MIDVALE"
SLIDE 9/10 – "BEEBO THE GOD OF WAR"
SLIDE 10/10 – "CRISIS ON EARTH-X"

Edited by tv echo

Actually, I think a lot of the below-listed superpowers have been done well recently (on tv and in film) - it just depends on the execution (also, I would've added a sonic scream to the list of powers that look awful on-screen)...

CG Eyesore: 15 Superpowers That Look Awful On-Screen
January 2, 2019  by Irina Curovic
https://www.cbr.com/powers-that-look-awful-on-screen/

12. MYSTICAL RAG MANIPULATION
In season five, Arrow introduced a whole new cast of heroes to replace the missing members of Team Arrow. Mr. Terrific, Wild Dog, Artemis, the new Black Canary and Ragman joined the Green Arrow on the mean streets of Star City. Ragman’s mystical powers were met with split opinions from the fans.

For some, characters like Damien Darhk and Ragman just didn’t feel like the right fit for Arrow. But on top of that, Ragman’s ability to manipulate his rags through mystical powers was very poorly portrayed on screen. His rags lacked a sense of plausibility and resembled a bunch of tentacles flying about. As a result, a character with a very strong set of superpowers looked very lame on-screen.

15. MAGIC-BASED POWERS
14. ANIMAL-BASED POWERS
13. ENHANCED SENSES
11. WILLPOWER-BASED CONSTRUCTIONS
10. INVISIBILITY
9. FIRE-BASED POWERS
8. TELEPATHY
7. ICE-BASED POWERS
6. TRICHOKINESIS
5. CLAWS
4. FLIGHT
3. MORPHING
2. SUPER SPEED
1. ELASTICITY

Edited by tv echo

FYI...

EXCLUSIVE: Audition Tape For Recent Mysterious ‘Titans’ Character…Possibly Trigon?!
Caleb Williams   December 31, 2017
http://omegaunderground.com/2017/12/31/exclusive-audition-tape-recent-mysterious-titans-character-possibly-trigon/amp/

Now TitansPodcast.com has revealed a new character breakdown for a recurring character on the show. While they aren’t 100% sure who the role can be (casting calls usually use codenames) they suggest the role could be for Trigion; Raven’s demon biological father:

“[EVAN LOGUE]: Male, Late 30s-40s, Caucasian. Charismatic. A cult leader attempting to reunite his family. Central role for series finale. RECURRING GUEST STAR. Please submit star/cameo names. Casting early for wardrobe but the role works Ep. 111 (04/09-04/19) and Ep. 112 (04/19 – 05/01)”

After doing a bit of digging we at Omega Underground uncovered an audition tape for the role as well. The tape features actor Ian Duncan (Master of None, Broken News) reading for the role. Now we aren’t sure who this character is speaking to in the tape. Given there has been no recent breakdowns for an Anne character. However, it could very well be Trigion speaking to Raven’s human mother at the coven before the events of Titans. Or it could be for an entirely different character we have yet to discover. Never-the-less check it out!

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Actually, I think a lot of the below-listed superpowers have been done well recently (on tv and in film) - it just depends on the execution (also, I would've added a sonic scream to the list of powers that look awful on-screen)...

CG Eyesore: 15 Superpowers That Look Awful On-Screen
January 2, 2019  by Irina Curovic
https://www.cbr.com/powers-that-look-awful-on-screen/

15. MAGIC-BASED POWERS
14. ANIMAL-BASED POWERS
13. ENHANCED SENSES
11. WILLPOWER-BASED CONSTRUCTIONS
10. INVISIBILITY
9. FIRE-BASED POWERS
8. TELEPATHY
7. ICE-BASED POWERS
6. TRICHOKINESIS
5. CLAWS
4. FLIGHT
3. MORPHING
2. SUPER SPEED
1. ELASTICITY

Looks like the title should be Superpowers That Look Awful On-Screen When CGI Drops the Ball. 

LMAO that promo was so sad, even for CW.

I like how they only showed the suits of some of the characters instead of their faces, to make it seem like less of a sausage fest.

Edited by JJ928
17 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

LMAO that promo was so sad, even for CW.

I like how they only showed the suits of some of the characters instead of their faces, to make it seem like less of a sausage fest.

I think the suits minus faces just means those actors weren't needed or available. If they really wanted it more gender balanced, they would have included Black Canary 3.0, Vixen, or maybe even Killer Frost.

53 minutes ago, Trini said:

"Suit Up":

It was cheesy as hell, but I did think the bit with Grant dropping the Big Belly Burger and Stephen's response to Melissa suiting up was kind of funny.

• Love 6

I really think that bit with Melissa suiting up really quickly and Stephen's "kay" was a call back to the lack of superspeed joke in Arrow 6.08. And I really do like Grant's all indignant manner when he had to suit up.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

It was cheesy as hell, but I did think the bit with Grant dropping the Big Belly Burger and Stephen's response to Melissa suiting up was kind of funny.

It was both Kara and Barry suiting up with alacrity. Hey, give me Grumpy Cat Oliver and I'm a happy woman. I also liked the bit with Cisco polishing Ray's visor.

• Love 8

Kevin Maguire Has Drawn the Arrowverse Characters
Posted by Dan Wickline January 3, 2018
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/03/kevin-maguire-has-drawn-the-arrowverse-characters/

Back in March of 2017 I had a silly thought and tweeted to Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim that they should get a group shot of the Arrowverse characters done like Kevin Maguire’s classic cover for Justice League #1. Guggenheim replied that we’d have to ask Maguire and that he’d commission it. Maguire replied it was doable and I wrote it up as an article here. Nine months later, Maguire posted the below image as “another commission I finished this week.”
I’m not sure if this is the one he did for Guggenheim or if someone else commissioned a version. This group shot is done from what looks to be going into the first season of Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow as the image includes the Hawks in the background. You have Supergirl (Melissa Benoist), Flash (Grant Gustin), Green Arrow (Stephen Amell), Atom (Brandon Routh), Firestorm (Franz Drameh), Professor Stein (Victor Garber), Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill), White Canary (Caity Lotz), Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller), Heatwave (Dominic Purcell), Hawkgirl (Ciara Renee) and Hawkman (Falk Hentschel).

https://twitter.com/maguirekevin/status/947629874717618176
ArrowverseMaguire-600x901.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Which Arrowverse Character Does the Cast of Black Lightning Want to Cross Over?
By Lindsay MacDonald | Jan 2, 2018 11:00 AM EST
http://www.tvguide.com/news/black-lightning-cast-picks-arrowverse-character-crossover/

Still, we couldn't resist asking the cast of Black Lightning which CW superhero they'd most love to see cross over to their show if some random twist of fate made it possible.

The cast was pretty evenly split, but the two most popular answers were the namesakes of Supergirl and The Flash.

"If I could pick one character from the DC universe to come on the show, it would be Supergirl," Christine Adams told TV Guide. "I'd love to see her in the show just because I think we are — really, this show is about the girls. That's ultimately where we kind of want to take it. We want young women to feel empowered, so it feels like Supergirl would be a really good fit. I'd love to see the three of them together, kicking some butt."

As for everyone's favorite scarlet speedster, Marvin "Krondon" Jones wants a whole, two-hour block of time on Tuesday nights (seeing as Black Lightning is set to air after The Flash) for a big crossover between the two. China Anne McClain on the other hand? She just wants her character to race Barry Allen (Grant Gustin).

Edited by tv echo

By a Window Where the Sun Comes Through: Oohlo’s Bright Spots 2017 Part One
BY OOHLO STAFF · JANUARY 2, 2018
http://oohlo.com/2018/01/02/by-a-window-where-the-sun-comes-through-oohlos-bright-spots-2017-part-one/

As you well know, 2017 was dark and full of terrors, but we’re here to shine a little light on the best and brightest of the year. Stay golden …
The Flash‘s Musical Episode
The CW’s superhero shows have gathered quite an impressive lineup of vocal talent across its shows and with a character like the Music Meister at their disposal, it seemed like only a matter of time before a musical episode was hatched. With a little help from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend‘s Rachel Bloom, “Duet” was a bright spot in an otherwise dark season of The Flash. For those not Glee-initiated, Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist’s voices were a nice surprise. Even if you aren’t a fan of these shows, it’s worth checking out “Duet” for the singing and choreography. — CW

The Sun Always Shines on T.V.: Oohlo’s Bright Spots 2017, Part Two
BY OOHLO STAFF · JANUARY 3, 2018
http://oohlo.com/2018/01/03/the-sun-always-shines-on-t-v-oohlos-bright-spots-2017-part-two/

Wonder Woman
Up until the summer release of Wonder Woman, DC/Warner Bros.’ recent track record with its top properties was underwhelming, to say the least. Fans never really connected with Zack Snyder’s vision of a comic superhero cinematic universe, which put all the more pressure on director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot to deliver a movie the pleased both the critics and audiences, AND break the perception that female-fronted superhero movies are box office poison. Wonder Woman connected with viewers across with spectrum ($800 million-plus worldwide box office) because the character that Jenkins and Gadot created was fully realized with power, intelligence, passion, and the ability to kick ass the way few superheroes (male or female) can. — Craig Wack
Crisis on Earth X
12-28-crisis.gif 
Each time the CW’s Arrowverse grew by a show, the demand for crossover episodes grew just as much. Previous attempts at mixing series involved either limited scope, or served other purposes (the first big crossover was a backdoor pilot for Legends of Tomorrow), and they never lived up to the dreams of fans who have fond memories of annual grand crossover adventures in the pages of the comic books that now live in the bottom of their closets. Without other entanglements weighing them down, the creative teams at Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow created a four-episode, two-night superhero fun fest largely removed from the greater narrative arcs of the individual shows. It was an effort that finally delivered on the promise of what a crossover can (and should) be. — CW
Thor: Ragnarok Press Tour
This is not to say that we didn’t enjoy Thor: Ragnarok. We loved it. It was our favorite Marvel movie of the year. However, when you throw Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Jeff Goldblum, and director Taika Waititi in a pineapple print romper, all together, then add in jet lag and the occasional cocktail, and you get magic. Everywhere we turned in October, there was the Ragnarok cast doing, saying or looking absolutely hilarious, and it made us want to see the movie they were promoting all the more. — CW

Edited by tv echo

‘Legends Of Tomorrow’: Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano Resume Filming Season 3 [PHOTOS]
BY CHRISTIAN SACLAO ON 01/04/18 AT 5:20 AM
http://www.ibtimes.com/legends-tomorrow-dominic-purcell-nick-zano-resume-filming-season-3-photos-2636902

On Wednesday, Purcell uploaded a behind-the-scenes photo of himself taken on the set of the CW series. The 47-year-old actor, who plays Mick Rory/Heat Wave on the show, captioned the Instagram pic, “Back to #work.”

Meanwhile, Zano, who portrays Nate Heywood/Citizen Steel, shared an Instagram pic of the cover page of the script for Season 3, episode 14. As seen in the snapshot, the episode is titled “Amazing Grace.” David Geddes is directing the installment from a script written by Matthew Maala and Tyrone B. Carter.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
On 1/3/2018 at 1:58 AM, bijoux said:

It was both Kara and Barry suiting up with alacrity. Hey, give me Grumpy Cat Oliver and I'm a happy woman. I also liked the bit with Cisco polishing Ray's visor.

Hehehehe me too. I love his interactions with Barry and Kara, its like two puppies climbing all over a very long suffering Grumpy Cat. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Hehehehe me too. I love his interactions with Barry and Kara, its like two puppies climbing all over a very long suffering Grumpy Cat. 

Same.  I'm not Oliver's biggest fan anymore (nor Barry's) but something about this just cracks me up.  It was the same with the Oliver/Ray interaction in Broken Arrow.  I think that was the first time we really saw the Legends version of Ray, and his happy puppy enthusiasm played against Oliver's grumpy cat face - I adored it.  I was like "ok why were you not giving me THIS all season, instead of all this other nonsense?"  Lol. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

It was the same with the Oliver/Ray interaction in Broken Arrow

Same here! Before that, I really was not a fan of Ray, but after that episode, I think they figured out what worked about his personality (lovable, well meaning puppy dog) and focused more on that, and that made him more endearing, instead of a creep. I mean, I give the writers this, they took a character who I actively disliked, and made him one of my favorites in the whole franchise by re-working the character a bit to great effect. I just wish they could have done that earlier, so I could have enjoyed him for longer on Arrow. You dont see it much anymore, but he and Oliver had a fun dynamic by Broken Arrow, and its too bad we didn't get more of that. 

• Love 7

Broken Arrow was the episode where Ray just totally clicked for me within the context of the Arrowverse. Before that he, and Felicity, were largely isolated on Palmer Island so it was difficult to know how he would work with other characters and as a masked hero. I wish Arrow had put Oliver and Ray in scenes together much sooner because they were such a delight. I mean, really, put Oliver with a joyful, optimistic character and it usually works very well. I say usually because Curtis seems to be the exception. But Felicity, Barry, Kara, Ray — it's a lot of fun to pair them with grumpy Oliver. (Which may be the reason why Evil Kara and Evil Oliver didn't work, because there's no contrast there). 

I'd love to see a crossover with Ray visiting Star City and having him work with both Oliver & Felicity again. 

• Love 10