Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

tumblr_oq7ta9dVVH1qio8hpo4_540.gif

So Central City has Flash-themed coffee; Starling City has cakes; now we just need some Supergirl themed donuts in National City, and we're all set!

• Love 5
(edited)

Here's one guy's opinion (imo, Daredevil is overrated, Legion is a mess, and Agents of SHIELD belongs in the Top 5 this season)...

The 5 Best Superhero TV Shows
By Daniel Proano on May 22, 2017
https://www.uloop.com/news/view.php/238283/The-5-Best-Superhero-TV-Shows

5. The Flash
4. Arrow
3.  Jessica Jones
2. Legion
1. Daredevil

Very subjective list, but notable for mentioning Arrow twice...

Best fight scenes in our favorite TV shows 
Vamien Mckalin    22 May 2017
http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2017/05/best-fight-scenes-in-our-favorite-tv-shows-001716285.html

'Person of Interest: Root vs. Assassins'
'Game of Thrones: Brienne of Tarth vs. The Hound'
'The Flash: Flash vs. The Arrow'
'Game of Thrones: The Mountain vs. The Viper'
'Arrow: Oliver Queen vs. Ra's al Ghul'
'Hannibal: Hannibal vs. Jack'
'Marco Polo: Hundred Eyes vs Jia Sidao'

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I haven't been watching The Flash so I can't really comment...

Superhero recap: This is how the latest seasons of The Flash and Arrow are similar
Aditya Dogra  May 22, 2017
http://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/superhero-recap-this-is-how-the-latest-seasons-of-the-flash-and-arrow-are-similar/story-Y1vYojtJNlVMwXOObxahxL.html

HAUNTED BY THE PAST
A RESCUE FROM THE LAW
MYSTERIOUS VILLAIN WHO IS A DERANGED MIRROR IMAGE
THE PARENT CONNECT
STEAL FROM ARGUS
OLD VILLAINS, NEW PARTNERS

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The 5 Best Superhero TV Shows

The number of superhero shows I'm watching live (and by live I mean not waiting for it to hit Netflix) is dwindling, I'm finding.  Next season it may possibly be down to Legends.  And Black Lightning.  

Although tbh, that's pretty much true of all TV I'm watching these days, not just superhero tv.  There's maybe a handful of shows left that I'm keeping up with (more or less) but I've nearly entirely converted to binge viewing.  

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

Here's an interesting S3 ratings comparison...

Arrow Season 3 ratings:
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/arrow-season-three-ratings-34284/

Season averages        1.01    11.37%        2.76    5.46%

The Flash Season 3 ratings:
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-flash-season-three-ratings/

Season averages        1.06    -22.89%        2.831    -19.84%

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well yeah that's the thing.  Arrow S3 got a significant lift from the first crossover.  Before that the ratings weren't all that great.  I don't know that they would have had the S2 -> S3 drop off that The Flash has had, but I don't think their S3 ratings would have looked quite so good either. 

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

Actually if you count the first seven episodes before the crossover the average was 0.94 and 2.6 M so pretty good on its own..

And they were high the whole season consistently. The finale got a 1.0 and 2.8 M viewers..the crossover was ep 8. 

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 5
(edited)

Flash is given a lot of credit for bumping Arrow's ratings up, but like @Midnight Lullaby pointed out, season 3 of Arrow was doing just fine before the crossover. Down a little bit in viewers (7%), but the demos for the first 7 episodes of both seasons were about even.  

ratings.JPG.d77ecb92bb1ab453054028d8f8a3a72d.JPG

And whatever ratings advantage bump the first crossover gave Arrow pretty much disappeared after 315:

592369b265110_ratings2.JPG.0ce9c3e361fc5ac9084aa7f7a65ce165.JPG

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

I stand corrected.   You're right - they weren't doing bad  But the much-vaunted S3 increase didn't come until after the crossover.  Before then they only hit over a 1 once (The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak). After the crossover, they got over 1 for several episodes in a row, until the spring hiatus in fact, when the numbers started dropping back down.  

The Flash Season 4 Is Making A Big Change Behind The Scenes
BY LAURA HURLEY  May 22, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1662080/the-flash-season-4-is-making-a-big-change-behind-the-scenes

The CW has confirmed to CinemaBlend that Aaron Helbing will not be an executive producer on Season 4 of The Flash. Suspicions arose about his level of involvement in the series moving forward after the synopsis for Season 4 was released and only listed Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Sara Schechter, and Todd Helbing as executive producers. We now know that the spoiler-ific synopsis was indeed entirely accurate on the EP front; Aaron Helbing will be done following the end of Season 3.

(edited)

Very sorry to hear about Zack Snyder's daughter.

I was taken aback reading that Joss Whedon was taking over as director for Justice League because I thought he was still the consultant for the MCU. But then I did a little Googling to update myself and it turns out that Joss broke off from Marvel completely after Avengers: Age of Ultron...
http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Whedon has been frank about his issues with the Avengers: Age of Ultron shoot. He butted heads with the executives about which scenes to include, leading to a film that felt overstuffed and half-baked in places. And all the chatter surrounding the release of the movie led Whedon to quit Twitter — not because of “feminist outrage” as some fans snarked, but because, he stated, he needed some quiet so he could start working again. In the Q&A, he explained why it was important to him to move on:

Edited by tv echo

So, basically, Whedon is joining DC as a big fuck you to Marvel. LOL. That's amusing.

I do think, in some way, that Whedon's penchant for darker angsty material and dark humor as seen in Buffy and Angel suits the DC universe better, IMO. But that's just me, YMMV  

There are probably a lot of instances where exec interference helped make a great movie, but damn, it sure feels like every time you hear about directors butting heads with execs, it leads to unsatisfying movies or TV shows (*coughWBexecinsistingonaBC*)

• Love 8

Either I was not in the right frame of mind, or the finale for Flash sucked.  Half of it was completely predictable and the rest pointless filler and absurd plot "twists" that really didn't make sense, lol.  There was supposed to be emotional moments in there, but most fell flat. Here's hoping Arrow does better.  

• Love 2
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Either I was not in the right frame of mind, or the finale for Flash sucked.  Half of it was completely predictable and the rest pointless filler and absurd plot "twists" that really didn't make sense, lol.  There was supposed to be emotional moments in there, but most fell flat. Here's hoping Arrow does better.  

This is exactly how I felt.

• Love 1

I have to wait for the husband to watch Flash but I read up on it and it seems like they went the same way as Supergirl in terms of ship. Now I am wondering if this was the CW mandate for this season! 

(edited)
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I have to wait for the husband to watch Flash but I read up on it and it seems like they went the same way as Supergirl in terms of ship. Now I am wondering if this was the CW mandate for this season! 

Do you watch The Flash?  Wait, I know you watch.  Nevermind, I misunderstood your post.  

Edited by BkWurm1
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Eh, I don't think it's exactly the same. For one thing, Barry will be out of the speedforce by the end the premiere because you know, he's the title character. All that's gonna be wrapped up in 4x01 just like the Flashpoint storyline. It was a lame cliffhanger, because who in their right mind thinks Barry won't be back? 

• Love 3
(edited)

Did all the Flarrowverse showrunners get together and make a bet about who can make their title character the worst this season? 

The LOT showrunners definitely lost. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't care what happens to Barry, just how it may affect my ship on Arrow if they are following a certain trend on all the shows.

Well, I've said it before, this may be Felicity's turn to be missing for a while.  Everyone else has left at the end of the season at least once.  

1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

Did all the Flarrowverse showrunners get together and make a bet about who can make their title character the worst? 

Barry still wins.  I mean technically the Waverider crew broke all of time, but did we really expect them to do better?  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't care what happens to Barry, just how it may affect my ship on Arrow if they are following a certain trend on all the shows.

The Flash and Supergirl are Kreisberg's shows, MG got Arrow and LoT.  Hopefully the trend stop there.  After all Nate and Amaya are still together.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The Flash and Supergirl are Kreisberg's shows, MG got Arrow and LoT.  Hopefully the trend stop there.  After all Nate and Amaya are still together.

Thanks for the info hun!

Hehe so our shippy happiness depends on MG =P

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I mean technically the Waverider crew broke all of time, but did we really expect them to do better?  

I still say that happened because Rip left with no intention of returning. 

My Nate hating heart wants it to be because he's still around but I know that's not true. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I still say that happened because Rip left with no intention of returning. 

My Nate hating heart wants it to be because he's still around but I know that's not true. 

So when Rip comes back, time will just fix itself?  I can live with that.  :D

• Love 4

I'm going to say this again about The Flash. The shows want to follow the Buffy model, but I think it's time for a return to the good old-fashioned, 1960's/70's-style adventure of the week formula (with the update of ongoing character stuff, relationships, etc.- those old shows didn't have much of that).

But that's the way they can keep things fun, funny and lighthearted, which is definitely The Flash at its best. That was actually most of Season 1, since Wells wasn't revealed as RF (to the characters, not the audience) until pretty late in the season. I know they've already set up Devoe (aka The Thinker) for next year, but I really hope they can rethink this basic structure of the season. The show can do a lighthearted episode whenever it wants (the musical, the recent one where Barry lost his memory), it would not be hard for them to just focus on reclaiming that Season 1, light, fun tone.

That was what it was originally praised for anyway, but it keeps getting bogged down in angst, and I think it's because they feel like they have to keep this season long threat looming over everything (which can't come to a head until the finale), instead of focusing on individual episodes.

Do the threat in a final arc that plays out in the last handful of eps, don't keep it clouding over everything and placing anguish on all the characters all season long. If you want to set the final villain up before that, you can always show him in bits to the audience, but keep it from darkening the rest of the show overall. 

Sometimes I really wish I could be in the writer's room, lol. This just seems so obvious to me.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

The theme of lovers being separated? Oliver and Felicity have already had their separation (not being a couple) for over an entire season, so I'm guessing they finally get back together for the summer. I'd think even MG would want to end on a high note.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It sucked.

Granted I don't watch Flash regularly but, in tuned in last night because I was bored and nothing else was on.

I had a bet with a friend on how long it would be before Iris was brought back to life, I said 5 minutes, my friend said 20.

LOL it was 1 minute and she didn't even die. They killed HR and, faked out everyone with a flashback/reveal.

Then we spent a ton of time with Barry giving Barry a pep talk and Barry convinced that he's always a hero, blah blah blah.

Finally the Speed Force came for Barry but (and I'll bet good money on it) unlike Savitar, Wally and Jay who were in hell, forced to relive their worst memories Barry will go to a heaven prison cell. I'm calling it now, Flash S4 is Buffy S6, Cisco figures out how to "rescue" Barry only to find out that he pulled Barry out of "heaven". LOL

I also noticed a few Arrow S3 parallels. 

Arrow S3 Oliver defeats Ras but gets shot and falls over a dam, Felicity saves his life.

Flash S3 Barry defeats Savitar but, refuses to kill him because Barry is a HERO. Turns his back on Savitar (idiot) and Iris shoots Savitar in order to save Barry. Hero gets the big victory but LI saves him in the end.

S3 Arrow ends with Oliver not know if he's The Arrow or Oliver Queen and leaving town (with Felicty) to figure it out.

S3 Flash ends with Caitlin not sure if she's Killer Frost or Caitlin and leaving town (alone) to figure it out.

My personal Favorite moment, the long drawn out heroic goodbye...Lightning strike all over the place and what looks like a random lady getting hit and falling to the ground... Meanwhile Team Flash are still dithering about.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3
(edited)

I actually thought The Flash finale ratings would be higher than that because it was up against an NCIS repeat and a bunch of comedies.  Arrow, on the other hand, will be up against a new remake of Dirty Dancing and the Survivor finale.

Yes, that was a fake cliffhanger. Barry will be back by the fall premiere but, in a ship stall, Iris will have moved on and will be dating a cop named Billy Bobby.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, tv echo said:

Barry will be back by the fall premiere but, in a ship stall, Iris will have moved on and will be dating a cop named Billy Bobby.

Ngl, I had that same thought especially after Barry was telling Iris to keep going on (keep running? stay happy? something like that) even though he's leaving "forever."

• Love 1
(edited)

Arrowverse Easter eggs in Injustice 2...

Small details in Injustice 2 only true fans noticed
Christopher Gates May 23, 2017
http://www.looper.com/66517/small-details-injustice-2-true-fans-noticed/

While Batman and Superman are DC's biggest names at the box office, it's Flash and Green Arrow who rule on the small screen. Over the past five years, the CW has transformed from the home of teen dramas like Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie, and One Tree Hill into a one-stop shop for the adventures of DC's second-tier superheroes, and naturally, Injustice 2 is getting in on some of the action.

If the Flash clears Green Arrow's first life bar in one-on-one combat, the speedster will say, "That's for breaking Felicity's heart." For those not in the know, Felicity Smoak is a character who debuted in Arrow's  first season (the name was borrowed from an existing comic book character, but otherwise, the two have very little in common), who helped Team Arrow fight crime with her elite hacking skills. She also spent the better part of two seasons as Oliver Queen's girlfriend and, later, fiancée, although she ultimately dumped the Emerald Archer after he lied to her about having a son (because it's not the CW without a little bit of soapy drama).

In addition, after beating Green Arrow for good, sometimes Flash will tell his on-again, off-again ally that he needs to spend more time on the "salmon ladder," referencing Arrow star Stephen Amell's impressive on-screen workout routine. Occasionally, Flash will also tell both both Green Arrow and Supergirl—who also has her own CW show—that they should "cross over," just like the three shows do every year on television.

The CW's Legends of Tomorrow, which features a team of DC's second-tier heroes and villains as they travel through time and fight evil, plays an even bigger role in Injustice 2 than its single-hero siblings. After all, with a cast of six or seven team members and a number of notable guest stars, Legends of Tomorrow has more superheroes per minute than almost any other show on TV—and that gives NetherRealm Studios more opportunities than ever to sneak in a few Legends-related Easter eggs.

For example, Flash nemesis Captain Cold, who appeared in both seasons of Legends of Tomorrow, is absolutely brimming with small, off-handed nods to his silver screen counterpart. One of Captain Cold's epic gear items, a souped-up version of his freeze gun, is called "Legendary Tomorrow Cold Gun." When Captain Cold and Black Canary face off, they flirt—"Trying to steal a kiss, Leonard?" Canary asks—referencing the brief romance between Cold and Sara Lance, the Arrowverse's first Black Canary, on Legends of Tomorrow.

Finally, one of Captain Cold's combos is called "Prison Break." That's probably not a coincidence. Before he appeared on The Flash, Captain Cold actor Wentworth Miller rose to fame as Prison Break's co-lead, alongside fellow Flash and Legends of Tomorrow actor Dominic Purcell.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8