Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

The only time Sara used a police baton was when she was soulless and stole it from Laurel to beat her up. 

Sara mostly uses escrima sticks (which Caity is trained in) or pretty much anything she can get her hands on.  Like this. 

tumblr_oohcvyTiHB1rrmbc3o1_500.gif

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Wait.  Sara doesn't use the truncheon aka police club, that's Laurel.  And she definitely used her bo staff long after 201. Sara does use two short sticks though (that  Caity trained in after Sara was killed) which look cool IMO, but I hate the billy club.  Looks stupid for a mask.

Imagine that, Gugg doesn't know what he's talking about or remember what happened on his own show. Shocking. That never ever happens.

Also nothing has ever been cooler than Sara with the bo staff.

• Love 5

More LoT and crossover-related posts at https://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/ on Apr. 15...

bones-bb asked:
Hey Marc, I hope you're having a good weekend. ? Phil Klemmer has said new team members will be added next season on LoT. Does that mean we will lose team members in return (them leaving or otherwise)? I hope not because I really liked the team dynamic and the chemistry they had this season.

Well we lost (spoiler alert) Rip in 217…

benjilaufilimancia asked:
Hi I wonder what did black flash tell Sara at the end of the WW1 battle ? Thanks

When did they talk?

fuzzy-jumpers asked:
Why did you have to have the comment about Nyssa being miserable and closeted in LoT? It was unnecessary, hurtful, and quite frankly homophobic. You provide very little LGBT representation and you don't treat those characters well. I don't think you realize how hurtful this is to LGBT fans.

It was delivered by hurtful and homophobic character.  That’s part of what makes him a villain.

greenarrowrebirth asked:
Are you going to do more small crossovers between shows in Season 6 like you did in Season 3? Those were the best

I love those.  We’ll do more if the story warrants it.

Edited by tv echo

Two recent articles about diversity in the world of comics superheroes (one criticized MG and the other positively mentioned Arrow/Flash)...

Diversity in comics: Marvel’s attitude is closer to the Stone Age than to a new Golden Age
ANJULI SHERE  13 APRIL 2017
http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/cartoons/2017/04/diversity-comics-marvel-s-attitude-closer-stone-age-new-golden-age

First, X-Men writer Marc Guggenheim claimed in an interview that a new story arc would be “more about the X-Men as heroes than the X-Men as a struggling minority fighting for their very existence”. Although Guggenheim stressed that X-Men is still “a story about extremism”, his decision to downplay connections with the fight for civil rights and equality seemingly dismisses the fact many fans like the X Men precisely because they are “a struggling minority”.

More notably, David Gabriel, Marvel’s vice president of sales, claimed that increasing diversity in comic books was becoming less of a lucrative strategy: “What we heard was that people didn't want any more diversity. They didn't want female characters out there," he said. "I don't know that that's really true, but that's what we saw in sales.”

ETA: After experiencing a lot of online criticism, David Gabriel subsequently clarified his comments "Discussed candidly by some of the retailers at the summit, we heard that some were not happy with the false abandonment of the core Marvel heroes and, contrary to what some said about characters “not working,” the sticking factor and popularity for a majority of these new titles and characters like Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, The Mighty Thor, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, and Moon Girl, continue to prove that our fans and retailers ARE excited about these new heroes. And let me be clear, our new heroes are not going anywhere! We are proud and excited to keep introducing unique characters that reflect new voices and new experiences into the Marvel Universe and pair them with our iconic heroes. ... We have also been hearing from stores that welcome and champion our new characters and titles and want more! They’ve invigorated their own customer base and helped them grow their stores because of it. So we’re getting both sides of the story and the only upcoming change we’re making is to ensure we don’t lose focus of our core heroes."

What Does a Superhero Look Like?
APRIL 16, 2017  George Gene Gustines
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/16/us/what-does-a-superhero-look-like.html?_r=0

My go-to source for superheroes are comics, but we live in an era when many of these champions are on television and film. Robbie Reyes, the latest version of Marvel’s Ghost Rider, is Latino and debuted in 2014. The character joined the fourth season of “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” last year. Wild Dog, a hockey-mask-wearing vigilante named Jack Wheeler who was introduced by DC in 1987, is on “Arrow,” where he’s become Rene Ramirez. Then there is the utter delight that Wolverine’s daughter in this year’s “Logan” is of Mexican descent. Even Archie Comics is part of the fiesta — Veronica Lodge is half Latina in “Riverdale.”
That brings me back to Vibe, who has done well for himself, considering that he was murdered in 1986. He was resurrected in comics and, in 2012, he fought androids and break-danced in one of the animated shorts of DC Nation. Two years later he became a key part of “The Flash,” which is reaching an average of 2.87 million viewers a week.

For the next generation of superheroes fans, representation will be easier to find. Nothing wack about that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Why Supergirl has relationship trouble
By CATHERINE PALMER on April 13, 2017
http://www.jhunewsletter.com/2017/04/13/why-supergirl-has-relationship-trouble/

As for the show’s romantic storylines, it should look to The Flash and Arrow as examples and take the time to craft a relationship that is built first and foremost on friendship and develops organically across multiple seasons, one that viewers can invest in, like  between Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and Iris West (Candice Patton) or Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Composer Blake Neely Keeps DC’s TV Universe in Tune
Jon Burlingame   APRIL 13, 2017 | 10:00AM PT
http://variety.com/2017/film/spotlight/blake-neely-dceu-music-1202029619/

Nowhere was that more critical than in their discovery of the musical signatures of the DC superheroes that now populate the CW: The Flash (“fast and propulsive,” Neely says), Arrow (“darker, heavy and pounding”), Supergirl (“a more traditional sound, an homage to John Williams”) and the Legends (“a jaunty, swashbuckling theme but with a rock ‘n’ roll attitude”).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
On 4/15/2017 at 1:04 PM, LeighAn said:

I actually think it's quiet possible that fans know more about the continuity of the show then Marc does. I thought Sara was fighting with a BO staff in 3x01?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Legends 2x01, not Arrow 2x01.  Also, "truncheon" is a pretty general term for club-like weapons, so it's not technically wrong.  His opinion about them looking cooler is wrong, but that's another matter.

On 4/15/2017 at 7:47 PM, pillow mountains said:

Also nothing has ever been cooler than Sara with the bo staff.

So true.  I think it's been fun to see her branch out on the weapons front.  Like, the sword fights have been cool and I think adding the throwing knives to her arsenal was really smart.  At the same time, though, her coolest fights have always been with the bo staff.  

TVLine's Ask Ausiello Live facebook chat today...

-- Michael Ausiello: "'Will Supergirl end on a cliffhanger?' Yes."

-- Matt Mitovich was on the Flash set where they hadn't cleaned up after shooting "The Once and Future Flash" episode. STAR Labs set was a mess. It's set in a future where Barry didn't save Iris, and everything's a mess.

-- No Arrow or LoT mentions.

Edited by tv echo
On 4/11/2017 at 8:48 PM, yellowfred said:

I think part of the problem, though, is that they keep trying to do massive reinterpretations of the character when a more direct translation was probably the better way to go.

I was reminded of this post today, when reading the comments on this article (spoilers for an upcoming Supergirl episode).  One commenter remarked that part of the problem with James is that he really is not the Jimmy Olsen of the comics in character and personality - Winn is closer to that.  I remember also seeing comments about Chloe and Lana in Smallville along this line, that in many ways, other than her name, Lana was really an OC, while Chloe, at least in her early years, more closely resembled the Lana Lang of the comics. 

• Love 4

Once Upon A Time has made an entire series of re-imagining characters from stories even better known that ones in comic books.

I think the problem is not that James is not Jimmy Olsen so much as they don't know what to do with him.  With Callista Flockhart choosing not to follow the show to Vancouver, Catco is negligible, especially since Kara is now happy to be gone so she can be with her true love Mon El.  Winn is at the DEO and there's no place for James in the show.

A bigger problem for me is that the closest thing the show now has to the classic male hero like Oliver or Diggle is J'onn.  On LoT you can take your pick between Rip, Ray, Nate, Jax or even Mick Rory at different times. Even on a female led show like The Closer, there was Fitz. For me the lack of a male hero-like figure is a bigger hole on Supergirl than James not being the standard Jimmy Olsen.

• Love 1

Supergirl: Pivotal James Olsen Episode Casts This Is Us' Young Randall
By Matt Webb Mitovich / April 17 2017, 1:58 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/04/17/supergirl-season-2-james-episode-lonnie-chavis/

TVLine has learned that Lonnie Chavis aka Young Randall on NBC’s freshman hit will guest-star on the CW superhero series as Marcus, a young alien boy who bonds with James (played by Mehcad Brooks) after the rugrat’s mother attacks National City.

The episode, titled “City of Lost Children” and airing Monday, May 8, promises to find CatCo’s interim CEO at a crossroads, as he grapples with his extracurricular destiny.

“There’s a lovely moment that I have with Mehcad, about accepting who you are,” shares David Harewood, who plays DEO boss man Hank Henshaw aka “Martian Manhunter” J’onn J’onzz. “James is reluctant to step in and help somebody, and I persuade him, as a hero, that sometimes you have to go against your own instincts and do something that’s right, as opposed to what you think might be right.”
In success, might National City’s Guardian eventually suit up for Hank & Co.? “I really want to see James in the DEO,” Harewood says. “Winn has been a real find in the DEO, so maybe one day we can get James in there, as well.”

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Supergirl, NCIS: LA, Supernatural, Scorpion, Once, Flash, Chicago P.D., Riverdale and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / April 17 2017, 1:30 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2017/04/17/supergirl-season-2-spoilers-alex-kidnapped-maggie-kara/

What can you share about Supergirl, more specifically Season 2, Episode 19? Anything you can give away about Alex/Maggie/Kara ? —Lisa
As revealed in the synopsis for the episode “Alex” (airing May 1), the titular DEO badass is kidnapped, leading Kara and Maggie to find her — if, that is, they can agree on how to go about doing that. “They both have such strong feelings for Alex, and they’re both strong opinionated women who really are passionate about their work,” Floriana Lima shared with me between takes of filming the episode. “So they’re going to butt heads a little bit.” Adds Melissa Benoist: “They don’t necessarily agree on how to deal with the fact that the person that’s the most important to both of them is missing and in danger.”
Some people are worried about The Flash’s WestAllen with regards to who Savitar could be. Do you know what effect the reveal will have on their relationship? —Arlena
This much showrunner Andrew Kreisberg can offer you: Newly engaged Barry and Iris “are rock solid again” as “the quest to figure out who Savitar is and stop him from killing Iris becomes pretty much the main focus of the rest of the season.” And as those final five episodes unfold, there are twists both “scary and dramatic” as well as, hmm, “hilarious,” the EP says. “We’re really excited about the end of the year.”

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

And ONCE has failed miserably with majority of them. 

I disagree. Some have been hit and miss (Belle is a miss) but I think others have been very well done (e.g. Hook, Charming, Snow, Grumpy).  Regina was very very well done but the showrunners keep trying to make her good and that weakens the character.

I think the important thing is how good the adapted character is on screen, not how true to comics that adaptation.  Look at Riverdale, where they bear very little resemblance to the comics originals.

• Love 3

Charming didn't have a personality to begin with, all he does is kiss the girl so not much to fail with there. Snow White they took beyond the role of helpless Princess which was great. Hook was a one note villain so fleshing him out was a good idea though he got uber annoying once he became Emmas love interest. But Rumple, Ariel, "Ursula", Maleficent, Cinderella, Belle and countless others just ended up being bad. 

Archie characters were from like the 60s, adapting them to a modern time wouldn't work but they already had the new Archie series and Archie Zombie series to help update the characters. For them there are easy ways to keep the characters recognizable while expanding on them. Their base personalities are basically there.

I do agree that the important thing is a good adaption and not necessarily having to be 100% true to comics but if you can't totally tell who that character is then you've failed for the most part. Every character has a base to which they should build upon and branch out. You can't have Batman but give him super powers just as you cant make Superman into an average joe who relies on trinkets to make him powerful or make him some super dark character, etc..

Interesting trailer. although I'm not thrilled with the Man of Steel influences.  We have colour film now, use it.   I'll give it a try because of Damian Kindler.

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I do agree that the important thing is a good adaption and not necessarily having to be 100% true to comics but if you can't totally tell who that character is then you've failed for the most part. Every character has a base to which they should build upon and branch out. You can't have Batman but give him super powers just as you cant make Superman into an average joe who relies on trinkets to make him powerful or make him some super dark character, etc..

I've never met an incarnation of Jimmy Olsen that I found interesting enough to watch so I'm good if they grow him up and give him some alpha qualities for a change.  He's still a photographer and a newsman, he's just tired of playing second fiddle.

• Love 1

I am fine with Jimmy growing up and being tired of playing second fiddle, my main problem with SGs version of the character is that I can't envision him ever being Jimmy Olsen. Would've been better imo to have us go on that journey with him and have his photography still be a large part of him and what he brings to Catco. Have him cover Supergirl like Lois covered Clark.

• Love 2

Oh Lord, Once Upon a Time. I have sadly committed myself to that show at this point, but the worst of Once makes the worst of Arrow look like the best episode of Breaking Bad. It doesn't just get bad, it gets creepy. Imagine the arc where Malcolm was kind of a good guy and Oliver was deafening him on the grounds that he's Theas biological father, but it never ends, and all the good guys are just totally cool with him being around, and get offended if anyone should actually be upset with the guy who had murdered large numbers of innocent people and done horrible harm to them personally. That's been the whole show for ages.

Anyway, I think the problem with James is that he just has nothing to do on the show. He didn't work as a love interest, then most of the other characters had left Catco, so he didn't have much to do as a boss, and then they randomly decided to make him a vigilante, which they hardly use. I can see them trying to update Jimmy for a modern audience (Once doesn't always succeed in that, but it has with characters like Snow White, Prince Charming, and Captain Hook), but they have just never fully committed to using James well within the narrative. If he wasn't Jimmy Olson, I'm sure they would have written him out already.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

He still carries his camera and in s1 Kara got the story of how his father had given it to him before he died (which led to Lucy being jealous of Kara, ugh).  I'm afraid these shows will never give enough time for decent character development to anyone not the titular character or a showrunner's pet like Mon El.  We've complained endlessly about Iris, the titular leading lady, getting extreme short shrift.

ETA:

If he wasn't Jimmy Olson, I'm sure they would have written him out already.

I don't think having the name keeps him safe.  I suspect they were keeping him around this season in case Mon El didn't take as Kara's love interest but they're doubling down on Mon El now so I'm expecting James to be written off at the end of this season, which is probably when I give up on the show.  I'm finding that Mon El drags Kara down too much for me and Alex and J'onn don't get enough story time to give me a reason to watch.

Imagine the arc where Malcolm was kind of a good guy and Oliver was deafening him on the grounds that he's Theas biological father, but it never ends, and all the good guys are just totally cool with him being around, and get offended if anyone should actually be upset with the guy who had murdered large numbers of innocent people and done horrible harm to them personally. That's been the whole show for ages.

That's been General Hospital since Sonny arrived.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Anyway, I think the problem with James is that he just has nothing to do on the show. He didn't work as a love interest, then most of the other characters had left Catco, so he didn't have much to do as a boss, and then they randomly decided to make him a vigilante, which they hardly use. I can see them trying to update Jimmy for a modern audience (Once doesn't always succeed in that, but it has with characters like Snow White, Prince Charming, and Captain Hook), but they have just never fully committed to using James well within the narrative. If he wasn't Jimmy Olson, I'm sure they would have written him out already.

I think he did (and can still) work as a love interest, otherwise, I agree with all of this. He can have stuff to do on the show, but they're not committed to using him -- especially this season. I mean, besides being the CEO of a smeggin' media conglomerate, they could have explored the changes to his relationship with Kara now that he's her boss.

• Love 3

Netflix plans huge TV blitz for May and June with The Flash, Scandal and more
by Bryce Olin   April 18, 2017
https://netflixlife.com/2017/04/18/netflix-tv-new-releases-may-june/

In addition to all the new seasons of Netflix originals, there are ten new seasons of CW shows coming to Netflix in May and June including The Flash season 3, Arrow season 5, Jane the Virgin season 3, and Supernatural season 12!
Supergirl season 2: May 30
The Flash season 3: May 31
Arrow season 5: June 1
Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD season 4: June 15

Edited by tv echo

More LoT-related posts at https://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/ on Apr. 19...

jadescanary asked:
Is there a way that Amaya could meet Mari next season on legends?

It’s on my bucket list for Season 3.

optickaliber asked:
Hi Marc! I was wondering, How will the upcoming writer's strike affect Arrow and the other dc shows in terms of writing before production starts?

I’m optimistic that there won’t be a strike, but in the event there is, I would imagine it would postpone the start of the new seasons because scripts aren’t written yet.

alicescesspooloftastyvideos asked:
Hi! I just want to say I love both Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow, and I think you've done an amazing job with both. I was just wondering in season 2 episode 14 of Legends when Victor Garber sang, was that scene scripted and if so how long did it take until everyone was able to keep a straight face?

First, thank you.
The scene was scripted.  I wasn’t on set for the filming of that scene, but I hear people were quite amused.

theassassinscrook asked:
Is there a chance we might get to see romance between Mick and Amaya? We know she's with Nate (kind of?) but a lot of fans are smitten with her relationship with Mick. Can you tease anything in the future for Mick and Amaya, romantic or not?

I’m not sure they’ll ever hook up romantically, but there’s a special bond between Rory and Amaya for sure.

phoenixfive asked:
Will Mick continue to be rewarded for being a lazy, abusive, misogynistic, biphobic thug next season?

This feels like a trick question.  (And he’s not biphobic.)

• Love 1

The History Of Batman And More Comic Heroes Will Be Explored In Awesome New TV Special
BY LAURA HURLEY   April 19, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1649299/the-history-of-batman-and-more-comic-heroes-will-be-explored-in-awesome-new-tv-special#.WPf96MlD2ho.twitter

Superheroes Decoded will be a documentary special for History split into two parts and using a combination of clips from modern superhero films, artwork from vintage comics, historical material, and interviews. The interviews will feature a combination of fans, creators, experts, and stars, including Anthony Mackie (who made his Marvel film debut in Captain America: The Winter Soldier), Marvel directors Anthony and Joe Russo, Game of Thrones mastermind George R.R. Martin, Iron Man director Jon Favreau, DC comic writer and best-selling author Brad Meltzer, and Stan Lee himself.

The first half of the two-part special will cover the origins of the iconic American superheroes and how their legacies have lasted through decades of changing American values, landscapes, and cultures. Part one will cover eras ranging from World War II to Watergate all the way to 9/11. As heroes such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Captain America have come to embody and sometimes defy the country's most pervasive fears and loftiest goals, they played an invaluable part in the history of American culture today.
The second half of the two-part special will delve into the American rebel and the ways in which comic book heroics often mean breaking big rules. Heroes like Black Panther, Iron Man, Wolverine, and the X-Men have striven over the years to do good even if it means defying convention (and many laws), and their battles often provide parallels and/or contrasts to certain American cultural norms. Many such heroes were not viewed as especially heroic in their early days, and some have had controversy surrounding them from the very beginning.
Superheroes Decoded will debut its first part on Sunday, April 30 at 9 p.m. ET, and the second half will air the next night on Monday, May 1 at 9 p.m. ET, both on History....

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

The History Of Batman And More Comic Heroes Will Be Explored In Awesome New TV Special
BY LAURA HURLEY   April 19, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1649299/the-history-of-batman-and-more-comic-heroes-will-be-explored-in-awesome-new-tv-special#.WPf96MlD2ho.twitter

I feel like I already watched this on PBS a couple years back.  Yes, this is a different documentary, but I'm not sure what ground is left to cover.  

optickaliber asked:
Hi Marc! I was wondering, How will the upcoming writer's strike affect Arrow and the other dc shows in terms of writing before production starts?

I’m optimistic that there won’t be a strike, but in the event there is, I would imagine it would postpone the start of the new seasons because scripts aren’t written yet.

I really hope they will be able to resolve their issues without a strike, but if they can't, I think I prefer the late start vs a bunch of seasons unexpectedly cut short or with a huge hiatus between episodes.  That seriously messed up a lot of shows last time.  Even the ones that best planned for it, had problems.  I imagine that if they had a strike that delayed the start of the seasons, then we would again get a shortened season (so they could get back on schedule) but at least that would mean they'd have it all plotted and planned out so it fits cohesively (well, or at less no worse than normal).

Of course if the strike kept going on for a long time, then we could potentially lose an entire season of television.  Yikes!  I'm comforting myself that in an age of splintering viewership, the networks at least would jump through hoops for this not to happen.  The other channels and platforms I could see recovering easily, but I really don't think the big four want to encourage viewers to seek out other ways to get their entertainment.  Once eyeballs wander, they wouldn't get them all back.  In a way, I could see a long term strike being a benefit for those platforms like Netflix that have a lot of scripted content that many network viewers haven't yet checked out at all.  

Edited by BkWurm1
commas make sense of the madness
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The last Strike lasted 3 months. I can't imagine it going anywhere near that long, if it even happens. There is a massive difference between now and 10 years ago. Networks have way more to lose.

Here's hoping they keep that in mind 'cause people have a nasty habit of forgetting the past.  :(  

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Here's hoping they keep that in mind 'cause people have a nasty habit of forgetting the past.  :(  

It's not even that. 10 years ago there was no Netflix or Amazon shows. They don't run on the same production schedule and can put out new content while the networks would have Nothing to air.

Ugh, the strike. Well, it's supposed to start on May 1st, so they have about a month's leeway before it starts hitting fall production significantly. I think. I hope it won't last too long.

That seems like kind of an odd time to start a strike.  Like, the 07-08 strike started somewhere in November, which meant that most regular shows either couldn't come back from winter hiatus or could only come back with an episode or two.  Plus, it was right when the presidential primaries were getting started, so the fact that no one was writing for late night was a pretty big deal.  

With it starting in May, it'll be a while before general viewership even notices, since even most summer shows are already done shooting.  Hopefully, producers and network execs will be proactive in getting things resolved before it's time to start planning for next season, because, by the time it starts having enough of an effect on the viewing public to force the issue, most shows will already be months behind on production.

Fall TV pilots 2017: The full list
NATALIE ABRAMS  APRIL 21, 2017 AT 12:00PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/21/fall-tv-pilots-2017/

THE CW
Black Lightning

Based on the DC Comics character, the story follows Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams), who made his choice to hang up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.
Team: Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil will write and executive-produce with Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.
Cast: Cress Williams, Nafessa Williams, China Anne McClain, Christine Adams.
Searchers
An action-adventure drama about a group of unlikely heroes who find themselves on the journey of a lifetime. Ten years after the death of their parents, a pragmatic brother and free-spirited sister are forced to team up when they learn that their mother’s terrifying and bizarre stories may be a road map to discovering the great legends, myths, and unexplainable mysteries of the world.
Team: Jason Rothenberg will write and executive-produce with Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, and Dean White.
Cast: Alex McGregor, Zane Holtz, William Miller, Jeanine Mason, Josh Kidd, Marc Blucas.

Edited by tv echo
8 minutes ago, theOAfc said:

Totally. Westallen is hella boring and lacks sexual tension. LoT had an interesting ship,Captain Cold and Sara but he's gone. I dont know about this karamel ship much though.

Wanted to reply to you but probably off topic so dragged it here.

Oddly enough I ship Olicity and FitzSimmons which many people complain has absolutely no heat whatsoever (I can see where they are coming from but I have totally different reasons for shipping FitzSimmons). I always think that because I ship FitzSimmons pretty hard I should ship Westallen! I don't and I can't! Which I find odd! 

• Love 2

One of the problems I have with WestAllen is that for 2 1/2 seasons Iris was more of a big sister or mother figure to Barry than an equal partner, which I thought Iris/Eddie were and Barry/Patty had the potential to be if he didn't keep lying to her for no reason other than plot.  The Flash sidelines its female character to the extent that no ships other than Caitlin/Ronnie and Iris/Eddie have ever been equal enough for me to genuinely ship them.

I didn't ship FitzSimmons in AoS's early seasons because they were too much like siblings.  (Fitz was a lot like Winn on Supergirl  and I thought he needed a contrast to make him more dynamic, like Lyra on Supergirl or Goth Felicity, and Simmons someone more dynamic. ) That's changed now but it's hard to shift my impressions.

• Love 6

Iris/Eddie were great together and were allowed to be an actual fully realized couple. Of course it very much mirrored Laurel/Tommy which was also really great. I don't mind WestAllen but it would be great if they could be more on a equal footing like Iris/Eddie were. 

• Love 3

Personally I break my two ships down as follows:

Olicity - Love of my life, no one can compare to you, would meet you and fall in love with you over and over again in every lifetime that we meet. I reckon this is 90% due to the acting of the actors and their insane chemistry rather than the plot but every time I see them together onscreen this is what I believe. That first meeting which I'm sure was NOT planned to launch Olicity convinced me of the above so I am blaming it all on chemistry! 

FitzSimmons - You are my best friend, we finish each other's sentences and are a dynamic duo who have similar interests and know everything about each other. If they were with other people I can still see them spending way too much time with each other, bonding platonically in their own little world which leaves very little room for anyone else to fit in or to be able to understand them the way they understand each other. The other party would always be second fiddle so there really is no choice but for FitzSimmons to be together as well. Plus I know people in real life like this so it tickles my fancy!  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Wanted to reply to you but probably off topic so dragged it here.

Oddly enough I ship Olicity and FitzSimmons which many people complain has absolutely no heat whatsoever (I can see where they are coming from but I have totally different reasons for shipping FitzSimmons). I always think that because I ship FitzSimmons pretty hard I should ship Westallen! I don't and I can't! Which I find odd! 

I'm right there with you on Olicity and FitzSimmons! WestAllen are alright, but I'm not committed to them like I am the other two. I really liked Iris with Eddie, so WestAllen's just not make-or-break for me (sorry Barry).

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, RandomMe said:

I really liked Iris with Eddie, so WestAllen's just not make-or-break for me (sorry Barry).

I liked Iris/Eddie so much, I think a lot of it is because the actors are both fairly charismatic and charming, especially together. It was also a mature/adult relationship that had depth.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched a full season of Flash since S1 so ymmv because I don't really like Barry or pants wearing sharks.

I feel like Barry/Iris is fairly shallow and Iris is kind of treated like a reward for Barry's so called good deeds. She's a prize not a person. I get why Barry loves her but not why Iris loves him. They are like a Disney channel level deep high school romance, not even a CW deep high school romance. 

@Mellowyellow, I haven't watched AOS since before they even hinted at going there with F/S, but your description of Fitzsimmons is kind of how I viewed the Oliver/Sara relationship except they both, of course, did have their own epic loves. It's an interesting view of different kinds of relationships and love. 

Despite the damage S5 has done, I appreciated that Oliver/Felicity just really liked and respected each other as people even if they didn't always completely understand each other like Sara or Ray would. They participated in each other's growth even beyond the crazy chemistry. 

(also if the EPs so desperately wanted Oliver to date a reporter, he could have dated Iris) :p 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

I feel like Barry/Iris is fairly shallow and Iris is kind of treated like a reward for Barry's so called good deeds. She's a prize not a person.

That's a good description of how it appears to me too.

I haven't been watching lately so I don't know how they're treating Iris' death threat though. Maybe they're finally giving Iris some agency rather than making it all about the menfolk again.

@leopardprint I view FitzSimmons as so so so much more than Oliver/Sara. Oliver and Sara were two people who shared an incredibly traumatic experience and bonded over that. Beyond that I don't see anything that special between them. Oliver went on with his life after Sara took a header off the roof and pined for Felicity (I actually think Felicity is someone who understands Oliver better than Sara anyway but I won't get into Olicity cuz that'll take days).

FitzSimmons have their whole lives connected. They went to school together and Simmons urged him into fieldwork with her. They didn't bond because of circumstance or trauma but because they just suited each other so very perfectly. Fitz obsessed about bringing Jemma back and could never accept that she was gone. He jumped through a hole into an alien planet to bring Simmons back. Fitz said if he was stuck on a dessert island and a box arrived he'd hope to find Jemma in it (I awwwwwwed and squeeeed so hard in that scene). 

Haha I love talking about this. Could go on forever! My long winded rant about FitzSimmons has clarified for me why I ship them so badly and not WestAllen etc. 

• Love 7