Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

The Flash: Everything you need to know about Flashpoint
BY NATALIE ABRAMS   September 9, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/flash-flashpoint-season-3-spoilers

Unlike the global scale of the comic, though, the CW series is taking a more personal approach to the changes Barry has wrought. “All of that stuff is not at our disposal, which is fine with us, because we really wanted to do something personal to Barry,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells EW. “The stakes in the comic book in Flashpoint were global and the stakes in this episode are very much just about Barry, his existence, and the people that he loves.” (Though, Flashpoint will spill over in a very specific way on Arrow with David Ramsey’s Diggle.)
Kreisberg also reveals that there’s a ticking clock on Flashpoint as Barry’s memories of the old timeline begin to be replaced by the new, forcing him to make a big choice. “We are going to see him start to have some regrets and realize how selfish of a decision it was [to save his mom],” Gustin says. Kreisberg adds that Barry will be “coping with [the fact that] he may have traded his happiness for his friends. He begins to see that the cost of him getting his happy ending might be too much to bear.” 

I wonder how they're going to play this so that it doesn't seem like Barry is still being selfish by choosing between which "happy ending" he wants more. Like, okay, Iris and your other friends aren't in your life, and everyone's lives are different in other ways (and maybe they're even less happy!) but now your mother is alive and had another 15 years on this Earth, and you're going to choose to take that away again. There better be a pretty compelling reason beyond just "I liked my old life better. :-/"

• Love 6

From this new interview with Berlanti about the crossovers:

Back to the big CW series crossover, how difficult is that to pull off across so many series?

You really are trying to run a single production across three different productions. But they’re run as three separate entities. We have to figure out when we’re borrowing one actor from where. We’re telling one cohesive story; “Supergirl” will participate, but the storyline doesn’t actively begin there. There are some characters who show up in her episode, but the story begins with “The Flash” episode and goes to “Arrow” and “Legends of Tomorrow.” We’re just getting into designing the bad guy for it, and we start now but it doesn’t air until the end of November. We will put a lot of time between now and then figuring out visual effects sequences. Just today I was holding the three scripts back-to-back – that’s 180 pages of material. It’s a three-hour story, almost a miniseries.

And when you place all three scripts together, it unlocks some sort of fortune.

[laughs] It’s very daunting when you hold them all together like that. Each one of these pages is 10 hours of shooting and a visual effects extravaganza. But hopefully it feels like a great kind of crossover comic book sell.

• Love 3

So from that I get that we will have a pretty normalish episode of Supergirl but at the end of the show someone from another show pops up in Supergirl's universe and then they all travel to Central City on Earth 1 where we find out what it's all about??  For some reason I'm thinking the LOT people will go ask for her help. 

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

It just seems a little late to only be figurong out the crossover baddie. Arrow starts shooting 407 this Tuesday. I would expect they had 408 written by now.

They're not figuring out the bad guy but, the design, which tells me Badguy is a CGI character of some kind.  The actor will probably be in motion capture/green suit while filming and they'll have the look applied in post.  Most likey they're just going through the concept art now.

There were a few articles that hinted thst the crossover only really involved Flash/Arrow/LoT. The suggestion was always that it would start at the end of Supergirl. I assumed that it would end with Supergirl pursuing bad guy through a dimensional rift. I suppose they could still play it that way. Normal Supergirl episode except badguy gets away, then Flash shows up in the tag on Supergirl seeking help from some villain that is in central City.  My money is on Flash/Cisco going to Supergirl.

Now the ultimate question, originally it sounded like Supergirl was the only crossover but now I'm not so sure.  Sounds like we'll have standard Arrow/Flash crossover + Supergirl. So OTA goes to Flash and Flash/Cisco/Caitlin go to Arrow and Supergirl gets thrown into both.  Big question is LoT, since it's time travel, unless LoT show up in current time that means time travel.  Flash can travel to the past but can he bring others? Do they get their hands on a time travel ring or ship?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

My expectations about Arrow's 100th episode being Arrow-centric just lowered another few notches.

I find it charming that you had any expectations to begin with.   You keep on dreaming. 

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, quarks said:

And just how many Arrow/Flash characters plus Supergirl characters will be showing up during Legends of Tomorrow's 42 minutes? 

I actually figured just Arrow/Flash/Supergirl or just Flash/Supergirl would head to LoT. Not sure why but that's been in my head for awhile. 

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I actually figured just Arrow/Flash/Supergirl or just Flash/Supergirl would head to LoT. Not sure why but that's been in my head for awhile. 

That would make sense, but these shows don't always make sense, and I'd add at least Cisco to that list. And possibly Diggle - though that's mostly because I think it would be fun to watch Diggle's reaction to being in a flying time travelling ship, and I cannot be the only one thinking that.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, quarks said:

That would make sense, but these shows don't always make sense, and I'd add at least Cisco to that list. And possibly Diggle - though that's mostly because I think it would be fun to watch Diggle's reaction to being in a flying time travelling ship, and I cannot be the only one thinking that.

Cisco is a fan favorite so i can see that, not sure about Diggle

4 hours ago, quarks said:

And just how many Arrow/Flash characters plus Supergirl characters will be showing up during Legends of Tomorrow's 42 minutes? 

I expect a big group of people there but without lines.  A lot of standing around at least at the beginning and end.

4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I expect a big group of people there but without lines.  A lot of standing around at least at the beginning and end.

See, that's what I expect too. I mean, even in last year's you had Caitlin and Thea in both episodes even though they didn't really do much in the other shows, and I think it would be more notable to promote a crossover with a good portion of the other cast in them, regardless of how much screentime/lines they actually have. Even at this point, they've at least had OTA and Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin in each episode for both of the crossovers, with them trying to increase the amount for the second one, so I kind of expect that for the T/W/Th lineup.

Granted, that might actually change given scheduling work now with actors from 3-4 shows instead of 2, but I feel like it would be underwhelming if at the end of all this hype LoT only had Barry and Kara or Barry/Kara/Oliver and that TPTB would figure that as well. Then again, with the size of the cast of LoT, maybe they would try to limit the number of guest stars? Idk, I could still picture beginning and ending with big groups like they did in 408.

• Love 1

FYI about a poll over in the Flash thread to decide if the Flash Media thread should be converted to be spoiler free like the other media threads in the Arrowverse.  Just thought I'd post the options in case anyone is interested. 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:41 PM, scarynikki12 said:

This forum is the only one of the four Berlanti CW shows to have a spoiler friendly Media thread.  In the interest of consistency Chip and I talked about removing the spoiler tag.  Then we talked again about whether keeping things as is would be a good idea.  We finally decided to pass the buck and let you guys decide.  So, go over to the new poll and vote on the future of the thread.  We'll leave the poll open through Friday, September 23 so that you guys have lots of time to vote.

Here are the choices:

Keep everything as it stands.  The Media thread will stay spoiler friendly.

Change the thread to a spoiler free zone.  This will, naturally, be tricky but not impossible to enforce. 

Keep the existing thread and open a second Media thread that is spoiler free.  This would be for those who want to discuss Media but don't want to delve into spoilers.

Keep the existing thread and open a second Media thread that is spoiler and discussion free.  This would be similar to the Spoilers Only threads that other forums have but for Media.  Posters would read the content and then go the appropriate thread (Spoilers, Characters, Themes, Episodes, etc) to discuss what they read.

Let us know if you have questions or need clarification.

scarynikki12 and Chip

Right now the poll is leaning to just leaving it as is. 

If I were to give an opinion, I'd want all the shows to be set up the same. 

Edited by BkWurm1

People that didn't know about this show will think it's about Superman and Supergirl from those pics. Which to me is showing they don't have much faith in their female led show and needed a man to come save it. 

Losing Calista to recurring is what is making me less interested in continuing that show. Kara and Cat's relationship was more interesting to me than Kara and Clark's. I don't really care about Clark in this version, it's not his show.  I know people think we need to see him because he's Superman. But you'd never hear that we need Supergirl if it was his show. You don't hear people scrambling to get Supergirl in the DCEU. 

I do think having some Superman makes sense since he has the legacy in this series. Never seeing him doesn't fit with the layout of this universe. On the other hand, Lois and Clark are two of my favorite characters of all time, so of course I would say that. I will miss having the Cat/Kara relationship weekly. I'm interested in how they play out the Clark/Kara relationship, but I'd rather they treat it as two people who care for each other and aren't close and are trying to reconnect.

Having said that, Tyler Hoechlin is kind of winning me over in the pictures with him and J'onn J'onzz. 

• Love 2

I'm still of two minds about the whole Superman thing. I found the constant mentions of him in s1 pretty damn annoying. At some point it was every single episode. I get being mentioned sometimes because he has this whole legacy and it's kind of like having shoes to fill. Plus he's Kara's family. I get it. But at the same time, this is a show based on a female superhero and the comparisons were excessive, IMO.

As for Clark's presence, I think Kara talking to him online worked pretty well so they easily could've gone another half a season/full season without bringing him on. I was expecting it at some point because duh doy but I don't think a female superhero should be overshadowed on her own show. We have enough male dominated ones thank you. I really hope his appearance is limited and then just every once in a while. 

But IDK, maybe they'll surprise me and confronting that problem head on will be a blessing but we'll see. I'm wary. Supergirl was pretty average for me in the first place so if they get this wrong, it might put me off completely.

Edited by Guest

Vixen Season 2 Lands Release Date
by Lauren Gallaway  September 12, 2016
http://www.cbr.com/vixen-season-2-lands-release-date/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list

The CW Seed announced the premiere date for “Vixen’s” upcoming second season today. The season, which is set to see the return of the mystically empowered Mari McCabe, will be premiering on October 14.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yesterday, the DGA released its annual report on TV director diversity (for 2015-2016 season)...

-- On DGA's ranking of the 8 largest TV studios from Best to Worst, Warner Bros. was #6.

-- On DGA''s "Best Of" List of 73 shows (shows that hired women and minorities to direct at least 40% of episodes in the 2015-2016 production cycle), the only Berlanti show to make this list was Supergirl at #61 (with 42%).  FYI, Marvel's Agent Carter was #68 (with 40%).

-- On DGA's "Worst Of" List of 57 shows (shows with the worst records of hiring women and minority directors for the 2015-2016 television season), Marvel's Daredevil was #35 (with 8%) and Gotham was #37 (with 9%).

Study: Little Improvement in Hiring of Women and Minority TV Directors
SEPTEMBER 12, 2016 11:00am PT by Bryn Elise Sandberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/study-little-improvement-hiring-women-927887

According to a new report released Monday by the Directors Guild of America, only 17 percent of all episodes in the last season were directed by women, while 19 percent were helmed by ethnic minorities (male or female) — both numbers marking a 1 percent increase compared to last year.

That means that 83 percent of the time, TV episodes are directed by men and 81 percent of the time, they're helmed by Caucasians. The number of episodes directed by minority females remained static at 3 percent.
Of the 299 shows examined, 57 of them (19 percent) hired women or minorities to direct fewer than 15 percent of episodes — 30 of which (10 percent) hired no women or minority directors whatsoever. Among the shows that only employed white men as directors: Aquarius, Blunt Talk, The Detour, Dice, Difficult People, Fargo, Into the Badlands, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Longmire, Man Seeking Woman, Marco Polo, Maron, Stranger Things, Vice Principals and Workaholics.... (read more)

DGA 2015-16 Episodic Television Diversity Report
September 12, 2016
http://www.dga.org/News/PressReleases/2016/160912-Episodic-Television-Director-Diversity-Report.aspx
Previous reports: http://www.dga.org/The-Guild/Diversity/Industry-Reports.aspx

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-12%20at%2010.05.

Edited by tv echo

I wonder how much money The CW spent on producing this new Supergirl promo? Considering the sfx budgets for Flash, LoT and now Supergirl, it's no wonder Arrow is going "back to basics"...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Injustice 2 Latest Update: Dev To Feature Grant Gustin As The Flash, Katie Cassidy Basis For Black Canary
BY JESTER VALDEZ   SEP 13, 2016
http://www.movienewsguide.com/injustice-2-roster-leak-grant-gustin-to-voice-the-flash-katie-cassidy-basis-for-black-canary/279220

Injustice 2 cannot get more exciting for fans of DC Comics speedster hero The Flash. A new leak online indicates that TV series lead star Grant Gustin will appear in the game. He will serve as voice actor for the fastest meta-human on Earth.
In addition to that, actress Katie Cassidy who takes on the role of Black Canary on The CW’s Arrow will reportedly become the basis of her character and will also voice the super heroine in the DC universe.

This latest leak has emerged online courtesy of IMDb. The said website has made an update on its page. The new listing names Grant Gustin as the voice actor for The Flash in Injustice 2.

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I wonder how much money The CW spent on producing this new Supergirl promo? Considering the sfx budgets for Flash, LoT and now Supergirl, it's no wonder Arrow is going "back to basics"...

That's genuinely good. It's a cool way to announce the change of network.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Yesterday, the DGA released its annual report on TV director diversity (for 2015-2016 season)...

-- On DGA's ranking of the 8 largest TV studios from Best to Worst, Warner Bros. was #6.

-- On DGA''s "Best Of" List of 73 shows (shows that hired women and minorities to direct at least 40% of episodes in the 2015-2016 production cycle), the only Berlanti show to make this list was Supergirl at #61 (with 42%).  FYI, Marvel's Agent Carter was #68 (with 40%).

-- On DGA's "Worst Of" List of 57 shows (shows with the worst records of hiring women and minority directors for the 2015-2016 television season), Marvel's Daredevil was #35 (with 8%) and Gotham was #37 (with 9%).

Study: Little Improvement in Hiring of Women and Minority TV Directors
SEPTEMBER 12, 2016 11:00am PT by Bryn Elise Sandberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/study-little-improvement-hiring-women-927887

DGA 2015-16 Episodic Television Diversity Report
September 12, 2016
http://www.dga.org/News/PressReleases/2016/160912-Episodic-Television-Director-Diversity-Report.aspx
Previous reports: http://www.dga.org/The-Guild/Diversity/Industry-Reports.aspx

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-12%20at%2010.05.

The number that seems IMO to get buried a bit is women account for only 17%.  That's 83% all boys club.    

Fall TV Preview: How Each of the Big 5 Networks Can Win the Season 
6:10 AM 9/14/2016 by Michael O'Connell
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/fall-tv-preview-how-big-928671/item/abc-fall-tv-preview-2016-928660

The CW
.  .  .
Given the high-profile Supergirl switch from CBS to The CW, the latter's fall mandate is clear: turn a modest success into a relative juggernaut. Network research revealed some of those watching Greg Berlanti's comic-book drama never had seen a CW show, so network president Mark Pedowitz is promoting the relaunch like it's a true freshman. "If it pulls half of the CBS audience, it will be our No. 1 or No. 2 show," he says. "If it does less than that, I'd be extraordinarily disappointed."

Also key for the genre-dominant net (on top of launching No Tomorrow and Frequency) is to build viewers for low-rated critical darlings Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, be those linear or streaming. "We are a hybrid network," says Pedowitz. "We are rooted in broadcast, but we've very aware of our digital capabilities."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Slightly random but noticed in a new trailer for the Deepwater Horizon movie Gina Rodriguez aka Jane of Jane the Virgin.  She does terrified of dying pretty well.  Slightly more interested in the movie than before. 

LoT spoiler (Arrow spoiler was posted on page 44 of Spoilers thread)...

Loved the “Legion of Doom” pic! Any new Legends of Tomorrow scoop? —JJ
Among the JSA members that have been cast for Season 2, it turns out there are two Obsidians. When the team first meets the hero, he is played by Dan Payne (Strange Empire). The previously announced Lance Henriksen then plays a future version of the character.

http://tvline.com/2016/09/14/supernatural-season-12-spoilers-castiel/

Edited by tv echo

My guess based on zero knowledge is that Grunberg hosts Geeking Out with Kevin Smith who is directing and/or directed The Flash recently, so KS probably got him a set visit. Or perhaps, they are going to do a segment on their show about The Flash.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 3

He might just be doing a segment for his show. But it would be absolutely wonderful if Greg Grunberg could join the Flarrowverse in any capacity. I'm not even picky if he is stuck on Flash - although I would prefer him on Arrow, LoT, or even Supergirl. BA has enough Daddies and Daddy Issues... no need to throw another potential penis in there to mess with his head.

I just had a horrible thought.  Is it possible that they are having Bamford direct all episodes of the crossover??  The timing would fit for him to be in the preproduction stage.  Someone please tell me I'm crazy.