Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Controversy aside, that art is beautiful.  Nod to the comic books without full on aping the style, and I love how it has a golden hue.

And because I can't leave without taking a shot at CW PR, if they had real art/posters, maybe people wouldn't mistake fanart for real promo.

• Love 12

Rape/death threats are real too. I guess that doesn't matter to her though?

Nah, she's just responding because she didn't want people to think she was the one who made the poster. What a joke.

They seem to be doing TCA a bit differently this time around. with show panels going full Q&A, instead of presentation + Q&A. So how the DCTV panel goes will depend on what journos ask.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Rape/death threats are real too. I guess that doesn't matter to her though?

Nah, she's just responding because she didn't want people to think she was the one who made the poster. What a joke.

Of course they are real but people don't think it is part of the actual promotion of a show.

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Nice of her to be worried about harassment in this case.

That's something at least. 

I find it interesting that her initial tweet implies that she only said something because Supes is her fave, and she was mad that people didn't check with her about the authenticity of the art before mocking it/spreading it around. She doesn't bring up the harassment except as a reply to someone.

As for what's happening on the Arrow FB page, SA mentioned that he said something to whoever is supposed to be in charge and nothing was done. If even the star of the show couldn't get TPTB to care, I doubt fan complaints matter to her. 

• Love 11

I have a question...

Did Iris/Caitlin/Cisco ever get their own posters? Or is it just Barry who gets all the glory?

Actually... Has Iris been on any poster?

Just wondering...

Edited by wonderwall

I don't think they've ever done posters for anyone on The Flash besides Barry.  And I don't remember any of the rest of the cast being on a combined universe poster either but I might be wrong about that.

I think Supergirl's the same way though.  Just Kara. 

Edited by Starfish35

The RS article concludes that the fans of the movie have "won" because of the big opening weekend numbers, but I wonder if that will still be true if SS doesn't eventually make enough to break even? Slashfilm pointed out there was a 41% drop in audience from Friday to Saturday, and predicted that if SS performs like BvS did, it's going to fall short of making enough to cover the rumored budget. 

I guess what I'm wondering is what studios consider a success these days. BvS made gobs of money, but I'm assuming not enough for DC since they dumped Snyder. 

22,000 people signed a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes?  Wow.  I actually find that a little disturbing.

Apparently that 41% drop is greater than BvS, which was 39%.  So it will be interesting to see how big the 2nd weekend drop is.  

• Love 2

My expectations were really low from the bad reviews, so I ended up liking Suicide Squad. It's an enjoyable movie if you just watch for the characters and not the plot, because there wasn't one. The first act was great, the second act was a video game, the third act was...I'm not even sure what it was. It was dumb and very anticlimactic. However I'd probably watch it again if I saw it on tv. 

I know they cut out a lot of the Joker scenes, don't know if that would have made the movie any better. I found him to be the weak link and only cared about his relationship with Harley. Then by the end I was more interested in the relationship growth between Deadshot and Harley. 

DC needs to start writing for their movies and not just throw people together for cool action scenes. They need to make us care about the characters. People are still arguing about who was right in Civil War because we care about Steve and Tony. DC isn't giving any of their characters room to breath by rushing them together to get to their version of the Avengers. 

• Love 6

I thought SS was mostly fun but a bit of a mess. I preferred it to BvS but it suffers with the same problems with storytelling and zero structure. And I always feel like they write them assuming everyone already knows every single character and motivation/history, which is crap. 

But it wasn't as terrible as critics said. 

Edited by Guest

Man of Steel sequel should have happened before BvS and SS and Justice League. I don't understand their process at all tbh.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:17 PM, lemotomato said:

It's hard to tell in text, but that last line sounds a little salty. (I completely agree with the saltiness, though!)

Completely agree.

I don't know the difference in how animation is run v how the movies are created, but one is clearly leagues better. The other should take notes.

I'd love to see a live action Under the Red Hood with Jensen Ackles. Young Justice would have been a blast too.

Edited by Chaser
12 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I thought SS was mostly fun but a bit of a mess...problems with storytelling and zero structure. And I always feel like they write them assuming everyone already knows every single character and motivation/history, which is crap. 

But it wasn't as terrible as critics said. 

Yeah I actually enjoyed Suicide Squad. You're right, in the end the story was a bit of a mess but nowhere near as bad as the critics claimed. 

I'll add that I didn't enjoy the big focus on Deadshot. Maybe it's bias, but I prefer Deadshot on Arrow to Will Smith. Also, Harley Quinn and the Joker were a blast. 

I don't think it was super bad or anything, but it definitely was quite 'try hard'. You could tell that just by looking at the music they used in the film. I also found it quite boring, for the last hour and a half I was just checking my phone to see when it would be over. It didn't really know what to do with itself, and I think that might be because they had the two plots going on, one with Harley and the Joker, and the other with the Enchantress. It's quite difficult to do that in an ensemble movie because it puts the focus on only two or three of the cast whilst ignoring the rest. And that leaves everything disjointed. 

• Love 2

I felt like it was 3 movies, one was about Deadshot the merc with a heart of gold, the second was about Harley and the third less important one was about the Suicide Squad and the dancing Enchantress. I guess I'm going to go into the rest of the DC movies not expecting a story because they don't seem interested in writing one. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Password said:

Yeah I actually enjoyed Suicide Squad. You're right, in the end the story was a bit of a mess but nowhere near as bad as the critics claimed. 

I'll add that I didn't enjoy the big focus on Deadshot. Maybe it's bias, but I prefer Deadshot on Arrow to Will Smith. Also, Harley Quinn and the Joker were a blast. 

It's not a movie I'll watch again but it really wasn't this awful thing that the critics described. 

Includes video clips of various actors singing (I didn't know Arthur Darvill could sing!)...

This Year's DC/CW-Verse Crossover Should Totally Be a Musical, You Guys
Alex Cranz   50 minutes ago
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dc-cw-verse-crossover-should-be-a-musical-1784948247 

FYI, video clips in this article:

Grant Gustin, "Smooth Criminal" on Glee
Melissa Benoist, "Wrecking Ball" on Glee
Jesse L. Martin, "I'll Cover You" from Rent
Laura Benanti, "Vanilla Ice Cream" from She Loves Me
Carlos Valdez, "Open Your Eyes" for Tha Los music video
Victor Garber, opening the 1994 Tony Awards show
Franz Drameh, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at MCM Hannover Comic-Con 
Arthur Darvill, "Falling Slowly" from Once 
Caity Lotz (only dancing, no singing)
Katie Cassidy (Chinese Coke commercial, no singing, no dancing)
John Barrowman, "Marry Me a Little" from Putting It Together 
Jesse L. Martin (while Calista Flockhart watches), "Heaven Must Have Sent You from Above" on Ally McBeal
Jeremy Jordan, "Seize the Day" from Newsies
Chyler Leigh, "Breathe" on Grey's Anatomy

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

... These are not people we can or should trust with a musical.

But man, they should make one anyway. Because they have, at their disposal, one of the finest line-ups of singers and dancers working today, and instead of having them Hamilton their way into our collective hearts they have them punching people. A lot.

I'm sure former crew/writers from shows like Galavant, Glee, and Smash wouldn't mind the work if they need people with musical experience to write a musical episode. I feel like this is something that is completely within the realm of possibility.

• Love 3

SA can sing, but he's obviously not trained like the Glee or Broadway actors...

DON'T EXPECT STEPHEN AMELL TO SING ALONGSIDE THE FLASH AND SUPERGIRL ANYTIME SOON
CRYSTAL BELL  06/03/2016
http://www.mtv.com/news/2888725/stephen-amell-no-musical-flash-supergirl/

When asked if he would be open to a very special musical crossover in the Berlanti-verse -- literally everyone has an abnormally beautiful voice on these DC TV shows -- Amell said no faster than Barry Allen broke the barrier.

"No. I'm out! I'm the first one. I get to draw the line, and I draw the line at musical," Amell told MTV News while promoting his new film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows in New York City....

Edited by tv echo
Just now, Carrie Ann said:

I would super-hate a musical episode of Arrow because I don't think it would fit the tone at all, but I think they could pull it off on The Flash.

I want all super special Flash/Supergirl episodes to be crossovers because I'm petty :)

So yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a few Arrow people in a Flash musical episode!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Includes video clips of various actors singing (I didn't know Arthur Darvill could sing!)...

This Year's DC/CW-Verse Crossover Should Totally Be a Musical, You Guys
Alex Cranz   50 minutes ago
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-dc-cw-verse-crossover-should-be-a-musical-1784948247 

FYI, video clips in this article:

Grant Gustin, "Smooth Criminal" on Glee
Melissa Benoist, "Wrecking Ball" on Glee
Jesse L. Martin, "I'll Cover You" from Rent
Laura Benanti, "Vanilla Ice Cream" from She Loves Me
Carlos Valdez, "Open Your Eyes" for Tha Los music video
Victor Garber, opening the 1994 Tony Awards show
Franz Drameh, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at MCM Hannover Comic-Con 
Arthur Darvill, "Falling Slowly" from Once 
Caity Lotz (only dancing, no singing)
Katie Cassidy (Chinese Coke commercial, no singing, no dancing)
John Barrowman, "Marry Me a Little" from Putting It Together

I don't really get why the commercial is included then. It's nothing against KC, but it doesn't fit with the others.

• Love 1

Article context for KC Coke commercial:

Her on-screen persona Black Canary might be dead at the moment, but Katie Cassidy just signed a completely unprecedented deal that has her on a regular across all four DC CW shows. Since she’s the daughter of ‘70s pop sensation David Cassidy, she’ can probably sing; if not, there’s always her career as an unemployed woman powered by soda.
But I believe in the power of Katie Cassidy to sing, or at least be autotuned to high heaven. Which will be required for much of the cast of Arrow, the least Broadway infused show on the CW. I mean, Stephen Amell can only sing Disney and they killed off-Broadway talent Colin Donnell back in season one. However, the series does have one ringer...

... a damned Barrowman.

Edited by tv echo

"completely unprecedented"?  They must have missed the memos about WM's and JB's deals.

And everything else seems to indicate that it's only three shows.  I've heard nothing (reliable) about her appearing on Supergirl.  So I'll believe that when I see it officially announced.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 5

I still think that deal is not as big as some are making it out to be. Those three are no longer regular cast members in any of the shows. I think it means they need to be available whenever and if ever their character is needed on any of the four shows. It could be 1 or 2 episodes in the shows if they can write a storyline for them. 

• Love 3

Captain Cold and Malcolm Merlyn are part of the Legion of Doom, or whatever it's called.  So it makes sense for them.  If Black Siren was going to be part of that group, this would make more sense to me.  As it is, I'm still kind of side-eying this whole "series regular" bit.  

Maybe someone at TCAs tomorrow will shed more light on the subject. Isn't tomorrow CW day?

• Love 1

Yes...

Television Critics Association (TCA) Summer 2016 Press Tour, July 26 - August 11, 2016 (Los Angeles, CA)
*Aug. 11 @ 9:00-9:30 am (PT) - Executive Session

Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW
*Aug. 11 @ 11:15-11:45 am (PT) - What's Next for "Supergirl," "The Flash," "Arrow" and "DC's Legends of Tomorrow": The Executive Producers
Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Marc Guggenheim, Sarah Schechter, Wendy Mericle, Phil Klemmer, Aaron Helbing and Todd Helbing
http://tvcritics.org/press-tour-schedule-overview/
http://cbspressexpress.com/TCA/cw/pdf/tca_cw_binder_summer_2016.pdf 

ETA: If you go to the second link above (the pdf file), after the schedule info, there's a listing of everyone in The CW Publicity Department (with contact info).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Note that Suzanne Gomez (https://twitter.com/chico6) is no longer handling publicity for LoT...

PRIMETIME PUBLICITY
Suzanne Gomez, Vice President, Suzanne.Gomez@CWTV.com, 818/977-4115

“Arrow”
“The Flash”
“Supergirl”
“Supernatural”
Kellie Kulikowsky, Director, kellie.kulikowsky@cwtv.com, 818/977-0105
“DC’s Legends of Tomorrow”
“Jane The Virgin”
“Whose Line Is It Anyway?” (summer)
PHOTO PUBLICITY
Paul Carpenter, Executive Director, Paul.Carpenter@CWTV.com, 818/977-2563

“The 100” (midseason)
“Arrow”
“DC’s Legends of Tomorrow”
“The Flash”
“Masters of Illusion”
“Penn & Teller: Fool Us”
“Riverdale” (midseason)
“Supergirl”
“Supernatural”
“Whose Line Is It Anyway?”

http://cbspressexpress.com/TCA/cw/pdf/tca_cw_binder_summer_2016.pdf

Edited by tv echo
16 hours ago, tv echo said:

Fat Man on Batman Podcast 103: Passion of the Kreisberg - Part 2 of 2-part interview (Dec. 16, 2015)
https://soundcloud.com/fatmanonbatman/103-passion-of-the-kreisberg

Kevin Smith asked how The Flash happened.  
AK:
"Greg and I were working on the - It was right near Christmas, and Greg and I were working on an episode. And he's just being really quiet, and I'm like, 'What are you thinking about?' And he said, 'The whole reason I've done this is to do The Flash.'"  
KS: "Really, he's the big fan?"  
AK (laughing): "Huge. I mean, like, to me, my seminal comic is when Tara died in Teen Titans... you know, in The Judas Contract.  For him, it was when Barry died in Crisis... That was his - He said it was the first time he ever cried at a comic book. He also said it was like -  It was the first time he realized that comic books were basically just soap operas for boys. And, um, it was the first time - again, like, we're so used to people dying and coming back to life now, but at the time it was like he really gave his life for everybody."  
KS: "And they kept  it that way for a long time."  
AK: "They kept it that way for 20 years. And he was the one who really, like, you wouldn't have expected it to be him. You know, again, he was, you know, Barry Allen, The Flash." 
KS: "He just runs fast."  
AK: "He just runs fast. But that - he was the one who did it. Um, you know, it really spoke to Greg. And - so he was like, 'I've - I -' - you know, so for all of our talk, every interview, like, 'there'll never be superpowers on Arrow, it's just not that kind of show,' Greg is like secretly plotting... I mean, episode 9 of Season 1 hadn't even aired yet, and he said, 'Here's what we're going to do.' Because the show was a hit at that point. He's like, 'Next year, in episodes 8 and 9, we're going to introduce Barry Allen as the scientist. At the end of 9, he's going to be hit by lightning. Then we're going to do a Flash pilot. And in year 3 of Arrow, there'll be Arrow and Flash on at the same time.'"  
KS: "He called it. He's Nostradamus."  
AK: "He said all of that... And he's like, 'And we're going to write it together.' Okay!  And again, it was like, you know, how can this keep getting any better?" 

This was posted in the Social Media thread, but I'm following up here...

AK's disclosures that Greg Berlanti only did Arrow so that he could do The Flash and that one of the basic premises of Arrow was being undermined by Berlanti from the start is illuminating as to why Arrow is treated like a poor cousin (or an old Christmas toy). Even when the EPs were telling the press (and public) that there'd be no superpowers on Arrow, Berlanti was secretly planning to introduce the Flash to the Arrowverse.

So why didn't Berlanti simply start with the Flash?  At 2013 PaleyFest, he was asked why he chose Green Arrow and he responded as follows (with no mention of the Flash): ""Arrow was always to me, it seemed like, um, ripe for a TV show, in part because he's a crusader for social justice, which you kinda knew, uh, in the DNA of the show, it felt like, well, that's - there's many episodes of a TV series there. And I would say, the other thing that was appealing to us, uh, was - it's always exciting and interesting - was the possibility of doing an origin story. You know, in a movie you do an origin story and it's the first 20 minutes of the film. But, uh, in a series, you can do an origin - in this instance, you know, for us, it's the island - you can tell that over multiple years. And so much of the DNA of who that character was and the origin of that character and his development on that island just seemed ripe for storytelling. And then there was also, I think, the ability that he was really of our world, you know, and that he was one of us. And so there was that element of it   I think the second half of it, just the desire to, uh, you know, uh, for all of us that were involved at the outset, was our experience - (indicating GJ) our experience, and Marc's experience along with us - working together before and, uh, wanting to work together again. And then our experience working with Marc and I both, and Andrew, all came over from ABC where we had worked with Mark Pedowitz, who is at CW now, at the time. So it was really one of those great, kind of things of we all really wanted to work together and bring the character to life, and this just seemed like - he just seemed like the right one. And then, the final thing I'll say about it is, you have all those ideas and you have all those notions, but truthfully, until you have, uh, you know, the director of the pilot and your cast, uh, you don't know if you - you don't, you just have scripts, pages of a script - and you don't know if you have a TV show. And this is - we were so fortunate, from Stephen [Amell] through everyone we were able to get her, and David Nutter, and everything that everybody brought to bringing it all to life, uh, was for us, that's - you know, as much as you like to think you kinda create the show, before that happens, that's really when the show is created. And, uh - and so, uh, that was incredible."

Now, that just sounds like a lot of B.S.  More likely, he just wasn't sure if a more fantastical, more superpowered superhero show like The Flash would get a green light or be a success at the time, so he went with the more "grounded" drama of Arrow - which was described prior to its debut in 2012 as "more like a crime thriller" and not a superhero show.

ETA: Addressing @Sakura12's point below - then I have no clue why they didn't just start with the Flash. Maybe DC wouldn't give them permission to use a more famous superhero like the Flash until they had proven themselves with Green Arrow first?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I don't know why they didn't think they could get a Flash show following Smallville a show about a boy with all the super powers.  Was the CW saying they were all superheroed out after Smallville? Flash is more well known than Green Arrow. With how popular the Flash is I don't think they ever needed Arrow as starting point. 

• Love 3

Ironic - considering CBS dropped Supergirl (er, moved it to The CW)...

CBS' Glenn Geller Admits to Diversity Problem: "We Need to Do Better"
AUGUST 10, 2016 9:47am PT by Marisa Guthrie, Michael O'Connell
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cbs-glenn-geller-admits-diversity-918671 

But neither of those subjects was what reporters seemed interested in talking about on Wednesday morning — and CBS was ready for that. Geller took several minutes to introduce a bevy of African-American and Latino actors who have been added to the network’s shows this fall — blowing up their photos on screens to his left and right. CBS has been excoriated for presenting a schedule that includes virtually no non-white leads, and its three high-profile new comedies all star white men (Matt LeBlanc, Joel McHale and Kevin James). As the Q&A portion of the session kicked off, the first several questions focused on the network’s lack of diversity.

“I’m glad this is the first question,” Geller said. "We need to do better and we know it. That’s really it, we need to do better. In terms of leads, we are definitely less diverse this year than we were last year."

Also from the TCA summer press tour (more executive B.S.)...

Why CBS Moved ‘Supergirl’ The CW [TCA 2016]
Posted on Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 by Fred Topel
http://www.slashfilm.com/supergirl-cbs-cw/

... Speaking with reporters after his executive panel, current CBS President of Entertainment Glenn Gellar explained his decision, and clarified that he never said Supergirl was wrong for CBS. 

“I didn’t say Supergirl didn’t work for us,” Gellar said. “It actually worked very well. It averaged over 10 million viewers a week. But at the end of the day, we really looked at the situation. We said, ‘How can we both win from this?’ We co-own The CW so this was an opportunity for both CBS and Warner Bros. to really benefit from the success of the show. They produce it. We co-own the network and there’s nothing to say that if we hadn’t made the right deal with the CW that we wouldn’t have taken it back on Monday nights or another time.”

During his panel, Gellar said he would still consider other superhero shows on CBS. At his time, nobody has pitched him another one. “If we heard the right superhero pitch and we thought it was for us, we would absolutely buy it,” Gellar said. “We haven’t heard anything yet along those lines. No one’s said, ‘oh, we have the right show for you.’”

After the panel, a reporter followed up with Gellar asking what would qualify as “the right superhero show” for CBS. For now, it is only hypothetical. “It’s all about the creative,” Gellar said. “I don’t think you can say without hearing the pitch. It’s a sho runner’s vision. I can’t say what it should be or shouldn’t be. It has to fit our brand and it has to work.”

Edited by tv echo