Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Just watched Deadpool. funny movie with awesome soundtrack!

Anyway, I found it interesting that there was a a Wade Wilson, ex special forces now mercenary who undergoes a physical change to become supersoldier and takes on a red/black alter ego fighting machine. It sounded very similar to a Slade Wilson, ex special forces also mercenary who gets disfigured and becomes a supersoldier and fights in yellow/black. Pool vs. a stroke, red v. yellow - there is almost too many face value similarities.

Is this a coincidence? Or is this a Marvel v. DC creating similar characters because that is the nature of rival companies in the same genre?

6 minutes ago, kismet said:

Just watched Deadpool. funny movie with awesome soundtrack!

Anyway, I found it interesting that there was a a Wade Wilson, ex special forces now mercenary who undergoes a physical change to become supersoldier and takes on a red/black alter ego fighting machine. It sounded very similar to a Slade Wilson, ex special forces also mercenary who gets disfigured and becomes a supersoldier and fights in yellow/black. Pool vs. a stroke, red v. yellow - there is almost too many face value similarities.

Is this a coincidence? Or is this a Marvel v. DC creating similar characters because that is the nature of rival companies in the same genre?

It's no coincidence, Deadpool came after Deathstroke from a fan of Teen Titans. When Deadpool was created, the similarities were extremely evident and they then named him Wade Wilson on purpose to make fun of the whole rivalry/copying/similarity thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

So with Supergirl joining the network, where does everyone think it will end up ranked in the ratings?

Current best rated CW shows, in order:
1. - The Flash
2. - Arrow
3. - Legends of Tomorrow
4. - Supernatural

I'm guessing Supergirl ends up #3 after Arrow; or best case, #2. Promotion is going to be a big factor in how many viewers switch networks to watch it.

Edited by Trini

With Supergirl IMO it'll be:

1) Flash
2) Supergirl
3) LoT
4) Arrow
5) Supernatural

I put Arrow as 4 because LoT is only on its second season and the crossovers are going to give it a sizable boost. Moreso than Arrow which is on its 5th season so it takes longer to catch up wtih

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the order will be:

1. The Flash   2. Supergirl   3. Arrow  4. Supernatural  5. LoT                                                                                                                        

I hope Supergirl is first (even though I don't watch it personally).  I think that even in its 12th season Supernatural has a lot more staying power than LoT (and is still a much better show) and could quite possibly beat LoT. I also think one of the new shows might end up above Supernatural and LoT.                                                                                      

Edited by DrSpaceman10
(edited)

I think Flash will keep  the #1 spot, especially after its big name casting and some big name directors lined up. I hope Arrow can maintain its status at #3 but it will have to find a way to overcome lack of promo and the inevitable audience erosion that happens to a 5th year show.

Not sure what to think about LoT. I haven't seen much buzz about it, so I'm not sure it will pick up more of an audience than it already had.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

I don't expect the entire CBS viewership to crossover, and of course Supergirl lost a good half of its live viewership in its first season, but even at the end, Supergirl was pulling in about 3 million more live viewers per episode than Flash. On the other hand, Flash does currently have more preorders for its second season on Amazon (#3292) than Supergirl (#3987) and considerably more comments, and its fanbase/viewership seems to be pretty solid. 

The real unknown is how many viewers will tune in for Lynda Carter and the Superman cameo. Christopher Reeve's guest star appearance gave Smallville a jump back in the day, but I'm not sure history is going to repeat itself here.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are we talking live broadcast, +days, digital downloads or just power rankings?

I think Supergirls actual live ratings will drop and be in the Flash numbers. If they don't screw up the story too much because of the sacrifices they had to make to get on the CW, I think the ratings will stabilize somewhere between A & F. I do not think it will bring 3 million live to the CW. I think there was a good million of that of people who simply keep CBS on all the time. CBS is an old people's network, and old people tend to keep their channel dialed to one network and watch whatever is on it. I think the digital downloads and +days will remain the same because that is how a lot of people initially watch SG (myself included) and it worked for them. I have no intention of giving up my Monday nights to tune into SG.

As for power rankings on how the networks perceive the shows, I think Flash will retain that title forever. Barry could destroy the world while twisting an evil mustache and he would still get to wear the crown. I believe that the network will perceive Arrow as the 2nd most powerful show because of its stability and consistency. It won't get Arrow any recognition outside of the boardroom or any increase in their budgets. But it will get that honored spot of #2 on the power list with none of the perks. SG is #3, however it will be showered with money & praise because the CW is trying to pimp it out. LoT is #4 because although it is a wild and crazy party it just hasn't delivered on all of its promises, that being said it's too much fun to not keep it around.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

I understand the reason for thinking that the currently much lower rated/viewed The Flash might be higher in the ratings this season than Supergirl, even though last season, Supergirl had more than twice The Flash's viewers (basically, Arrow and The Flash's viewership combined) but what is the reasoning for thinking that Legends of Tomorrow will rank higher than Arrow? I like the show, but in a shortened season it lost more than half its viewers and ended up significantly below Arrow. And Legends of Tomorrow is going up against Grey's Anatomy and - TA DUM! - the NFL in the fall - and later Big Bang Theory. 

Granted, the 8 PM timeslot is an NFL pregame show, with the actual game not starting until 9 PM (sorry, Supernatural), but I don't think that necessarily means that Arrow, which may or may not be facing as much competition on Wednesdays (it's against solid comedy The Goldbergs/new comedy Speechless, Blindspot (which also faded in the ratings/viewers) and new drama Lethal Weapon) is going to drop below Legends of Tomorrow.  Especially since Legends of Tomorrow, unlike Flash and Supergirl, hasn't announced any stunt casting/big DC characters so far.

I'll note that production schedules suggest that the CW agrees with me - it looks like Legends of Tomorrow is getting a shortened season of just 18 episodes again, unlike Flash, Arrow or Supergirl. 

(edited)

I don't think there's anyway LoT will have a better season average than Arrow in L+SD ratings. 

I think Flash will stay #1 since it mostly tied with Supergirl towards then end of their runs. You have to factor in the fact that CW has less viewers/markets. You also need to consider the fact that the Flash/Supergirl crossover actually helped Supergirl but the Supergirl fans didn't follow over to Flash to at least give it a look. 

BTW my predictions  (as always) are based on and talking about the demo as viewers don't matter.

My real curiosity is the 30 second ad rates for Supergirl and Flash.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Mu guess is

Flash, Supergirl, Arrow. I'm hoping SPN will take 4th place and LoT drops to 5th (sorry LoT fans).

The problem we SPN fans face is that LoT is SPN lead in. I'm worried if LoT falls off that SPN falls. On the other hand if LoT gets a boost from SPN with SPN fans thinking oh..hmm let me check out LoT, then LoT gets a boost. But I reallly dislike Arrow and SPN being split like that.

11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The problem we SPN fans face is that LoT is SPN lead in. I'm worried if LoT falls off that SPN falls. On the other hand if LoT gets a boost from SPN with SPN fans thinking oh..hmm let me check out LoT, then LoT gets a boost. But I reallly dislike Arrow and SPN being split like that.

True but SPN has a pretty loyal audience and generally isn't lead in dependant.  I think/hope SPN can pull in slightly better numbers next season but, no guarantees.

• Love 1

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the ratings once Hulu loses the CW shows. I just dropped Direct TV for Playstation Vue, and my only complaint is there is no CW. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the fall since I watch most of the CW shows. Arrow's the only one I care about watching live so I can chat with you lovely folk, and I can find ways to watch that, but I don't want to wait an entire season for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend of iZombie. 

7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Can't you buy season passes from itunes or Amazon? 

I could, but since I'm paying for Hulu and Netflix and Amazon Prime, I'd like to avoid a per show expense.

1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

Will the CW still post shows on its website the day after? I didn't see whether or not the Netflix deal will affect that.

I think they will be, but I hate the CW website interface and commercials (shhh...I work in the Commercials Dept.) so I do try to avoid watching them whenever possible. 

There are definite legal ways. I guess I just wanted easier ways that meet my demanding specifications. :p

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Where do you watch it live?

I was catching an East Coast feed by ~means~ and then watching it on Direct TV live when it aired on the West Coast. I just switched over to PS Vue on Sunday.

(edited)

I'm assuming we'll still be able to watch next day on the CW website/app, but I don't know that for sure.  If not, well then I guess I'm out.  I can't afford to pay for passes for all five shows. I'd probably have to end up picking one, and it likely wouldn't be Arrow.

The CW streaming experience is definitely going to be a step down from Hulu though.  I'm really going to miss Hulu.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

I watch pretty much everything on my iPad.  But the CW app is crap, or at least it was last time I used it.  It kept freezing up during the commercials, and if you restarted it, you had to go back through every single commercial break again.  :(

• Love 1
(edited)

I've only quoted the Arrow portions...

‘Flash’ and Friends: How CW’s Superhero Shows Lost Their Way
Nick Cannata-Bowman July 06, 2016
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/flash-friends-happened-cws-superheroes.html/

To the CW’s credit, the one show that managed to course-correct this season was Arrow, parring down its crowded lineup to just Oliver and Felicity, after Diggle rejoined the army, Laurel died, and Thea hung up her hood. But even the network’s original superhero show participated in what’s become their fatal flaw across the board: writing female characters.
Arrow, while not the worst offender of this, was the most visible one this season, marked by the death of Laurel Lance. Throughout the series, Laurel’s most prominent role has been “that person our main character dated.” When she finally managed to achieve her own identity as the Black Canary, she was quickly killed off. As The Mary Sue points out, “that is what the writers forgot about Laurel and are steadily forgetting with Felicity: These women are more than their relationships.” In the context of Arrow, we’ve seen that issue take shape over each of the last four seasons.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Once again, it's like Laura Hurley wrote what I think - I've only quoted her ship comments from the Berlanti-verse CW shows (I don't necessarily agree with the rest of the comments in her tumblr post)...

anonymous asks:
I don't have question I just wanted to say I love your blog and do you have any other shows/ships you follow. I'm just curious

Jul 7, 2016 8:25 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/147068101491/i-dont-have-question-i-just-wanted-to-say-i-love

... I actually follow kind of a lot of shows, and I tend to have a Writer POV and a Fan POV that don’t always overlap. I’ll answer from the Fan POV, because that’s more fun. 
Arrow: My #1 for Arrow is of course Oliver/Felicity, but I’ve also really enjoyed Roy/Thea and Diggle/Lyla. I have a soft spot for Nyssa and Sara because I think Katrina Law and Caity Lotz crafted a really lovely romance with their performances, even if the writing wasn’t always the most romantic. 
The Flash: No ship. Part of why I’m not into any of the romances is just that Grant Gustin looks too young for me to want to see as part of a relationship. I feel like he needs a chaperone on his dates until somebody gives him The Talk, and I have issues with how Barry/Iris and Barry/Caitlin have been handled. My favorite dynamic for Barry is actually with Oliver Queen. I think they’re hilarious together. 
Legends of Tomorrow: No ship. I weirdly had a thing for Rip/Sara for a bit in the beginning, but then I just had a thing for Sara. The costume department for Legends treated Caity Lotz well, because the girl looked gorgeous in everything. 

Supergirl: No ship. My favorite relationship for Kara is with her sister, and I can’t get into Kara/James because he seems like such an adult and she seems like such a kid. I actually think I could be on board with Kara/Barry just because they were such a darn cute pair of youngsters during the Supergirl/Flash crossover. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

'Legends of Tomorrow' Season 2: Could Laurel Lance be Resurrected? 
July 6, 2016  Kartik Chainani
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/legends-of-tomorrow/legends-of-tomorrow-could-laur-60511.aspx

If you've been following The Flash, then you know about its recent introduction of doppelgangers in Earth-2. In this world, Laurel moonlights as someone called Black Siren who works with the villain Zoom. We saw Laurel in the Earth-2 episode of The Flash, and though she was brought under captivity, she still lives on Earth-2. This is the only place in any universe of DC Comics that she remains alive. Without having to resort to yet another resurrection (Arrow), or yet another time jump to save someone from dying (The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow) perhaps there's a way to involve Earth-2's Laurel into the Legends of Tomorrow storyline. Katie Cassidy certainly seems to think so.

"I mean emotionally it would be more difficult for [Sara] to see her sister like that," she said. "Because Laurel of Earth-1 doesn't really have a bad bone in her body. I think she means well and has a good heart. So to see this side of her, it's not really Laurel. It's the antithesis. I think it would be awesome and amazing and such a cool dynamic. Just create more story for Legends. It would be great."
If Laurel were to come back, even in this way, we're definitely on Cassidy's side in thinking that Legends would be the best place for her. Sara never really got closure on her sister's death and this completely backwards version of her would be very interesting to see unfold as well as how it would affect the dynamics of their relationship.

Laurel and Sara have always had a complicated relationship, to say the least. Having them have to go at each other once again, just like when Laurel had Sara tied up during her resurrection for such a long time, would be a great storyline for Sara in Legends of Tomorrow. This time, it would be Sara fighting for justice while Laurel (as Black Siren) has her own selfish motives. It would be great to see them representing the complete 180 of their characters, though how it would end can't be very good. Either Laurel dies off again, and this time Sara has to witness (or partake in) it, or she's left alive in her alternate universe to cause destruction. Either way, we'd love to see some Laurel Lance in the Legends of Tomorrow world.

Edited by tv echo

Supergirl: No ship. My favorite relationship for Kara is with her sister, and I can’t get into Kara/James because he seems like such an adult and she seems like such a kid.

That explanation is the exact same reason I could never get into SkyeWard back when AoS started. Just wigged me out to no end how people wanted them to be together. Her complete and consistent disgust with him after he was revealed to be Hydra was a big factor in my ability to like her character.

• Love 3
Just now, RandomMe said:

That explanation is the exact same reason I could never get into SkyeWard back when AoS started. Just wigged me out to no end how people wanted them to be together. Her complete and consistent disgust with him after he was revealed to be Hydra was a big factor in my ability to like her character.

No lie, I thought that Skye was supposed to be some 18 yr old kid because of how young she looked and all the plaid she wore. Come to my surprise finding out that she was actually supposed to be apparently 24-25 (giving her and Ward a similar age gap as Oliver and Felicity). Didn't help that Chloe Bennet was 21 filming the pilot and how they dressed her, but you've got EBR who was around that age in the beginning, and I could buy her and Oliver together.

If Flashpoint does reset the whole universe for a little bit. Can I please put my request in to have both Eddie & Tommy alive and happy? I think they both got the short end of the deal in real time on their shows. And I want them back for whatever limited amount of time I can have them. BA can continually screw up if it means I get to have Eddie & Tommy back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I kind of agree that Barry and Iris need to show more desire. We know they love each other and are destined, but there needs to be some real physical attraction there now. I think there's a question of whether Grant Gustin can pull off some kind of heat with anyone on the show, though. As she said earlier, he just can't seem to convey that.

Then again, I guess not all couples in real life seem hot and heavy either.

Edited by ruby24
35 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

He had more heat with Naya Rivera on Glee during their duet than with any of his The Flash love interests.

For real. I remember watching that and thinking, aren't they both supposed to be gay?

• Love 4
On 7/8/2016 at 4:41 PM, RandomMe said:

The scene in which he thinks he's seducing her to his side and then she shoots him a whole bunch of times is maybe my favorite scene in the whole series. I'm pretty neutral on Skye overall, but that scene was awesome.

Now he is (before he maybe finally really died), a human-eating parasitic alien, and some people still ship them. Not sure how to respond to that.

• Love 5

The episodes were Ward is exposed are some of my favorites. Dalton is insanely good as a psycho and I loved that that was how they treated him. No wishy wash. 

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, FurryFury said:

He had more heat with Naya Rivera on Glee during their duet than with any of his The Flash love interests.

I thought he also had decent chemistry with Darren Criss as his evil ex. I think the difference is that on Glee, Grant was *supposed* to be playing a high schooler, while on Flash, he still comes across as a teenager while his love interests are grown women.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3

I actually don't mind that Iris and Barry don't bring heat. Frankly it would freak me out. They've never been about the intense (sexual) chemistry so bringing it out now would just be awkward because they just have a lot of friendship vibes. 

I don't think the Flash audience or writers room could handle a passionate or sexy Barry... There would be too many cooties. And it's really hard to treat/cure cooties. :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Password said:

I actually don't mind that Iris and Barry don't bring heat. Frankly it would freak me out. They've never been about the intense (sexual) chemistry so bringing it out now would just be awkward because they just have a lot of friendship vibes. 

I'm assuming they'll probably get a sex scene of some kind, even if it's mild and nothing like the Oliver/Felicity one. They'll give them something, since they're the main couple of their show. And I think they should at least try to give them some kind of passion, at least let us see if Grant can pull that off. Maybe he's been holding back, since Barry and Iris haven't really been on the same page until very recently. Anyway, I'm curious to see them try.

I actually liked the Earth-2 WestAllen couple, where Iris was the dominant one and Barry was obviously the sub. I think that's a good way of getting around the whole lack of sexiness thing on his part.

• Love 2
(edited)

Because that would make females appear strong, kickass and independent on Flash. AND in their minds we can't have that on a comic heavy show like Flash, females have their space and their role. From their minds, let's not rock the status quo too much. 

Plus that would need the writers to have the ability to sustain quality writing for a whole season. They can barely keep up with their Run Spot Run fan fiction as is.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 9