Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

To be fair, Flash blew the entire casting budget on Tom Felton whereas Arrow had to cast multiple people...

I think I'd prefer Tom Felton.

And Arrow didn't need to cast that many new people. They have a full cast they could write stories for. Arrow chooses to cast a new set of characters every season and IMO its basically weakened the show. It's one thing to cast family members of current characters those have been successful. But every other post s1 non-villain, non-family character has been a waste of space & time.

Edited by kismet
rant continued
  • Love 8
Just now, Starfish35 said:

Is this guy really that great?  (I think I might be the one person on the planet who has never seen or read Harry Potter.)

If they intend for him to be a villain I'm not sure how it'll go... He's a good actor but not at all menacing. Also it might be concerning if people can't separate this new character from Draco Malfoy. 

• Love 1
Just now, Starfish35 said:

Huh.  Interesting.

It's also an interesting move because casting Tom Felton, well that's a big deal... He can easily eclipse the rest of the cast, so I'll be interested in seeing how The Flash deals with this.

I saw exactly one Harry Potter movie, of which I remember approximately 10 minutes, and I've never read the books. My feelings basically stem from not being wow'd by any of the other casting notices, and wishing that Arrow wasn't adding people left and right when I'm not getting enough story for the established characters I actually care about. One solid addition with more focus on the people I'm already there for is more appealing to me than half a dozen random new characters. (I'm just selfish like that. :-) )

• Love 3

I thought he was pretty scary on Murder in the First. But it wasn't like, imposing physicality, it was what if Mark Zuckerberg was a psycho killer who covered his crimes through money and lawyers. It worked for me.

• Love 2

He's got to be the main villain. And I'm sure that this name is just an alias and he will probably turn out to be someone from the comics.

I wonder if he will be there when Barry fixes the timeline, and that's the main new difference- that everyone else will already know this guy and Barry has to catch up. Kind of like when Dawn was introduced on Buffy or something.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dtissagirl said:

I thought he was pretty scary on Murder in the First. But it wasn't like, imposing physicality, it was what if Mark Zuckerberg was a psycho killer who covered his crimes through money and lawyers. It worked for me.

I've never actually seen this! He could possibly be the Kilgrave of The Flash... It depends on what power he has... 

7 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Tom Felton being cast is the worst news ever because it means that I'm going to have to watch The Flash... *sigh*

Heh.  Not me, though.  It would take a lot more than Tom Felton to get me to tune back in. 

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up being some comics-based character.  I'm not sure these guys know how to write anything that doesn't require an "in the comics" descriptor.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Flash s3 spending major casting money for a fan-familiar actor as a contemporary to the main character who will be in a majority of episodes? Where have I heard that before.... 

Seriously. Arrow has already done the stunt casting bit and it turned out badly. Flash can keep their big name new regular.

• Love 4

I actually hope that Tom Felton's character winds up to be a good guy and ally to the Flash. I am so done with them having the new guy be a friend and then become the main villain by mid-season. Either that or he is just pure villain from the beginning.

Also I'm putting in my fanservice request now ~ I want some Potter reference dropped at some point in the season. And if TF makes it into the crossover, I want it to be dropped by TQ.

• Love 2

I do find it hilarity forever that Flash never ever hires big dudes as regulars or recurring. Can't have a male antagonist towering over Barry ~epitome of the male self-insertion fantasy~ Allen, I guess.

• Love 8
(edited)

Felton does have a following and that is a huge deal but that can actually help all 4 shows. But he's not this top-grade OH MY GOD what an actor-actor. I think Arrow lucked out with less known EBR and when Caity Lotz was the Canary. It's about getting the character or chemistry casting right more so than a big name. I do like Tom but I think a big name casting has the potential of consuming a show. Even ones less liked, like Brandon Routh.

Edited by tarotx
Spelling/typing error that turned into a odd auto correct..
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Yeah, he was good on Murder in The First.

Arrow did luck out with EBR, that was once in a blue moon casting event where all the stars aligned. Comparing her casting to others is just not fair. I'm not even sure the casting director can even take credit for her. Day player to lead actress is just a rarity, like a finding a fine diamond is a large heap of sand.

However, stunt or big name casting is a common thing. The difference for me is that the minute I heard about Brandon Routh's casting I knew to be disappointed in Arrow. I knew it was going to be a struggle and was hoping they would avoid the LI/triangle. His casting dampened my enthusiasm and made me inclined to not tune it. Tom Felton on the other hand makes me want to tune into the Flash. I don't think he's the greatest actor ever. But I certainly feel that he brings more to the table than Brandon Routh on multiple levels.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've liked him better in everything he's been in outside of HP than in HP itself, though he, like all the young cast did improve very much from the first to last films. I think he's pretty solid these days, and this sounds like great casting. I'm hoping he's not so much sneering Draco as he is suspicious and slightly antagonistic toward Barry. Frankly, I could use more people on that show who don't like Barry, haha.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 7

I'm really tempted to believe Tom Felton will really be playing Draco, who just really hates all guys in red and gold with lightning motifs and murdered parents.

Okay, turning off the inner Potter geek for now, I think Tom Felton won't be too overpowering and is certainly a better actor than Brandon Routh, who I actually enjoy on Legends of Tomorrow (I swear my feelings for Ray grew exponentially in his first Flash crossover when he was nice to Cisco. I'm so easy). I do wonder if casting Tom Felton is a stunt in that they're going to make him a magical villain. They haven't brought magic into The Flash, except for setting up Vandal Savage/The Hawks, so I wonder if that would be something they'd do now. I like to think they won't just bring in another fast guy after Zoom turned out to be a disappointment.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, JenMD said:

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up being some comics-based character.  I'm not sure these guys know how to write anything that doesn't require an "in the comics" descriptor.

It's true; they do like to draw inspiration and characters from the comics; and the Flash has 75 years worth of stories, so why not? I don't see it as a bad thing. Plus, they tend to put their own spin on those ideas anyway. But as a counterpoint: there's Joe West and Harrison Wells who are original to the show.

15 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I do find it hilarity forever that Flash never ever hires big dudes as regulars or recurring. Can't have a male antagonist towering over Barry ~epitome of the male self-insertion fantasy~ Allen, I guess.

Well, there was Teddy Sears/Fake Jay Garrick last year, and they even pointed it out in the dialogue.

24 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

His arms are only half the size, but isn't Grant taller than Stephen?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

I'm really tempted to believe Tom Felton will really be playing Draco, who just really hates all guys in red and gold with lightning motifs and murdered parents.

Okay, turning off the inner Potter geek for now, I think Tom Felton won't be too overpowering and is certainly a better actor than Brandon Routh, who I actually enjoy on Legends of Tomorrow (I swear my feelings for Ray grew exponentially in his first Flash crossover when he was nice to Cisco. I'm so easy). I do wonder if casting Tom Felton is a stunt in that they're going to make him a magical villain. They haven't brought magic into The Flash, except for setting up Vandal Savage/The Hawks, so I wonder if that would be something they'd do now. I like to think they won't just bring in another fast guy after Zoom turned out to be a disappointment.

Oh my god, you're SO right about this. In fact, I'd bet a million dollars that's the route they're going this year. He's probably going to turn out to be Dr. Alchemy or something.

If that's the case, I don't have a problem with it, because I'm tired of speedsters. But I also don't want them to do another guy who's secretly evil from the start, so hopefully this one can turn evil halfway through the season or something, just for a change of pace. Start out genuinely good, but then switch. Like Faith (another Buffy character, but Kreisberg really is obsessed with that show, and has admitted that they look to it for ideas occasionally).

• Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

His arms are only half the size, but isn't Grant taller than Stephen?

That's why I said big guys, not tall guys. They never go for David Ramsey or Manu Bennett types on Flash. Just tall lanky dudes.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 1

My love of everything HP v My boredom with The Flash...That's a tough one. 

My first thought was I hope he interacts with Felicity because two favs together make me happy. My next was Smart Move Draco. 

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Trini said:

Wait-- so Flash snagged a Harry Potter Alum; this makes me even more disappointed about the Superman casting on Supergirl.

They did cast Lynda Carter though, and I'm sure her salary is more than Tom's... Also Calista's salary is WAY more than Tom Felton's I can tell you that much...

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, kismet said:

I think I'd prefer Tom Felton.

And Arrow didn't need to cast that many new people. They have a full cast they could write stories for. Arrow chooses to cast a new set of characters every season and IMO its basically weakened the show. It's one thing to cast family members of current characters those have been successful. But every other post s1 non-villain, non-family character has been a waste of space & time.

How so? Should they interact just among themselves with no contact with the outside world? By the way, they did that. It was called S3 :)

Edited by looptab
  • Love 7

I know a few are annoyed that Arrow casted a whole group of people and wanted them to only cast a couple (like The Flash's approach)... While I do agree that the masks can go, I'm actually glad that they are expanding the Arrow world to add a new detective, journalist, and DA. It makes the show less insular and gives the audience a better understanding of what Team Arrow fights for (the citizens)... Which is also why I think it was a good move that they made Oliver Mayor... It connects him more to the city. 

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, looptab said:

How so? Should they interact just among themselves with no contact with the outside world? By the way, they did that. It was called S3 :)

Ah, good ole season 3 when Felicity actually got a life outside the Arrow Cave, but the only person she got to interact with not on Team was Ray. They couldn't even afford to have her assistant Gerry show up beyond the one episode.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Ah, good ole season 3 when Felicity actually got a life outside the Arrow Cave, but the only person she got to interact with not on Team was Ray. They couldn't even afford to have her assistant Gerry show up beyond the one episode.

Poor Gerry. :(

• Love 3

Re Arrow, I'm fine with the cop who was cast as long as he doesn't turn into a vigilante. I'm okay with the reporter casting, and even think that could be a cool storyline, if it doesn't turn romantic/angsty. (I am way past over Arrow's constant angst.) I'm not interested in the new vigilante guy, at all, I think Baby Canary is a terrible actress, and while I love Roy, if the new team is Oliver AND Digg AND Roy AND Thea AND Curtis AND Baby Canary AND new vigilante guy, it's just WAY TOO MUCH.

Re Draco Malfoy, cool. He seems nice, and he's a pretty good actor. Mostly I am just sick to death of the million other speedsters, so if I cared at all about The Flash, I'd want him not to be a speedster. They killed my last tiny bit of interest when they had Catilin+WhatshisnamewhoendedupbeingZoom, aka the two charisma black holes/blocks of wood smooshing faces. 

6 hours ago, looptab said:

rs ow so? Shoheyht just amathon't er mselves witwon'thatnever  t h no contact with the outside world? By the way, they did that. It was called S3 :)

I want them to interact with the outside world. But the new characters are shiny new toys. They are not there for character development. They are shiny distractions,  so they dont have to tell the main characters story. They are not friends or people meant to make the main cast shine. 

All this casting by Arrow is an illusion to make u think it wont be an insular story - that they are expanding the universe when really they are not and if they do its at the detriment of tthe main characters development.

Sorry for what my phone did to the quote box, my mobiles keyboard never works anymore. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Is Tom Felton really that expensive to hire? I saw all of the Harry Potter movies and I barely remembered that he played Draco. I'm sure he's a fine actor, though.

I wonder if Arrow, Flash and LoT all get the same budget amount.  If so, maybe Arrow can spend more $$ on casting more people because it doesn't have to spend as much on special effects, whereas a lot of Flash's and LoT's budgets have to go toward special effects.

Edited by tv echo
12 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Is Tom Felton really that expensive to hire? I saw all of the Harry Potter movies and I barely remembered that he played Draco. I'm sure he's a fine actor, though.

I don't' think Tom Felton is as expensive as people think. He hasn't really been in a hugely  successful show or movie after HP...

On 7/1/2016 at 9:58 AM, quarks said:

I'm seeing the direct opposite - that in complete contrast to the other shows and to Arrow's last two seasons, Arrow isn't bringing in shiny distractions. The cast announcements aren't mentioning any major, well known DC characters (Ra's Al Ghul for season three, Constantine's guest spot for season four, Mister Terrific, who had his own comic book, for season four) or major, well known actors (Brandon Routh for season three, Neil McDonough for season four). The new regular actor is more or less completely unknown, and his job is specifically linked to Oliver's day job.  The closest thing to a shiny distraction, and I'm stretching here, is that one new character has a connection to Green Lantern, but there's no indication (alas) that she's going to be more than an Easter Egg. So far, at least, it seems as if Arrow is going out of its way not to have anyone who will outshine the main cast this season, although to be fair, Arrow hasn't announced any of the guest characters for November sweeps.

Meanwhile, Flash is bringing in a Harry Potter actor, and Supergirl is bringing in Lynda Carter and Superman. Those are shiny distractions.   

Im not talking about the castings. I was talking about the characters. It's been 4 years we barely see TAs lives outside of the lair. They barely have friends or family. They definitely dont have lives. I know about as much of their characters and who they are as I did in s1/2.

The only way you get a half decent plotline is if you are somehow connected to the new guest or recurring stars. And then most of that time is about the other person. When I look back at the last two seasons the only arcs I really see a lot of time devoted to are new people I don't care about. Thank goodness Dig's brother and FSs father were bad guys otherwise we might have never gotten those stories. 

I'd prefer shiny stunt castings if it meant I got more stories about the characters I have invested in from s1, than introducing all these new characters that are often on and done.

• Love 1