Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I like Niki Behari and think she would be good. But I don't want her because I feel like there might be so undeserved baggage from how Fox treated her. The wounds are still too new & raw.

(edited)

The interviewer in that asked BR who the villain they would be going up against and he said "Flash"; and for one brief moment I had hope, and then he said, no he meant to look at the show Flash and what they do with their villians.

Bummer.

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 2

I finally started Daredevil last week and I'm in the middle of season 2. The Daredevil forum is full of comic readers who (potentially) spoil without even thinking so I'd rather post here.

I have several questions: Is there a reason Matt is so removed from Karen and Foggy? Why do I want to spend more time with the villains than Matt? Why is Matt so hypocritical? Can Claire come back? I preferred Matt in a do-rag type mask than the Daredevil suit, can that make a come back? Why can I never properly see fight sequences (seriously it's so dark)? ...erm...Oh yes why does Karen like Matt?

Can Arrow use flashbacks sparingly like Daredevil?

Hehe I'm seeing a "don't really like Matt" trend but I am not against the dude. Just don't really...care about him when he's beating people up? I prefer him in lawyer mode...like Foggy. I really like Foggy and I immensely enjoyed the episode where they dealt with the fall out of Foggy finding out Matt is the devil in Hell's Kitchen. 

There's a lot to like about Daredevil. I'm enjoying the more grey side of Karen and I can't wait to see the second half of season 2 where I hope she gets ever more grey. Otherwise I kind of don't like her (unpopular opinion). 

• Love 2

I love Karen, but she's a base breaker character, some like her, some REALLY don't. She is also often, for some reason, gets contrasted with other female character by fans, so Claire fans (especially in s1) often hate/criticize her to no ends. I do think it's got better in s2, I think her storyline is better received, overall (except that finishing monologue which, I agree, isn't very well-written).

I do think they've dropped the ball with Matt in s2, I vastly preferred the Punisher storyline or Elektra's scenes with Stick over his hypocritical behavior and constant letdowns of Foggy and Karen. Also agree re: costume.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wasn't sure whether to post this article here or in the Starling City Times thread, but decided to post it here because it's GB talking about all of his DCTV shows...

TV Drama Scribes Chat Social Media, Ratings, Peak TV & ‘Supergirl’ at Variety’s Night in the Writers Room
Elizabeth Wagmeister    June 14, 2016
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/variety-night-in-the-writers-room-drama-panel-greg-berlanti-supergirl-1201795796/

TV’s finest drama minds joined forces Tuesday evening at Variety’s annual Night in the Writers Room event for a candid conversation about the television landscape.

Super producer Greg Berlanti, “The Path” creator Jessica Goldberg, “Suits” boss Aaron Korsh, “Bosch” writer Michael Connelly, “The People v. O.J. Simpson” duo Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, plus Underground’s” Misha Green and Joe Pokaski were all panelists for the drama discussion, moderated by Variety’s Debra Birnbaum, and chatted about everything from social media to the secret of success to ratings — or the lack thereof for the streaming scribes.
The secret to a hit show in the Peak TV era is well-executed, character-driven drama.
“We really don’t see them as superhero shows. It’s always representative of character,” Greg Berlanti said of his CW shows “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Legends of Tomorrow” and “Supergirl,” the newest addition to the lineup. “Nothing makes up for just execution.”

To be successful in television writing, you must surround yourself with a great team.
“The number one secret of any success I’ve had in the business is just working with really great people across the board.” — Berlanti
Writers have a love/hate relationship with Twitter
“There are not a lot of middle-of-the-road attitudes on social media…they’re really passionate. I’ve watched through the years now with Twitter in particular, people start to realize it can turn and then it can turn really dark…that’s something I think to be mindful of. Who are you telling the stories for? It’s not just for audience reaction. Something else important to be mindful of is that executives don’t use that as research. There’s a neat quality to seeing the response, but you have to gauge it appropriately.” — Berlanti
Crossovers are not easy.
“There’s definitely crossovers happening. They’re happening. There’s like mini ones and then there’s bigger ones,” Berlanti confirmed, referring to “Supergirl” moving over to the CW, home to “Arrow,” “The Flash” and “Legends of Tomorrow.”

Though crossovers are great for ratings and fans love them, Berlanti says he won’t do them just for the fake of doing them. “Storytelling-wise, to me, comic books were the original great crossover in that you would see characters pop up in other people’s worlds and it would make both worlds seem larger,” he explained. As for the big winter crossover that’s become a tradition for the CW shows, Berlanti shed some honesty: “That’s always a nightmare,” he said with a laugh.

Even Greg Berlanti was surprised when “Supergirl” flew over to the CW for Season 2.
Berlanti revealed that he didn’t think it was possible for his former CBS show to land at little sister net CW — and he didn’t know it was happening until the deal was pretty much sealed.

“About a week before it happened, people were asking me and I was like, ‘No! It’s not going to happen,'” he said. That’s when CW president Mark Pedowitz called Berlanti to ask if he’d be interested in continuing the show over at the network.

“It was fun being on CBS, but CW, we obviously make a lot of these shows with CW. We obviously have a shorthand,” Berlanti said of the future of “Supergirl,” adding, Story-wise, it’s fun to think of the shows actually truly all in one universe.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I'm gonna air some dirty laundry. But I used to watch What I Like About You and this guy was in it... He was the typical pretty boy who the lead (Amanda Bynes) started dating... While I didn't mind his character, the actor's pretty bland. I definitely wasn't impressed by him but that could've been because the writing wasn't all that inspiring. So I'm interested in how he fares in this role.

• Love 2

10 years later he pretty much played the exact same bland dude from What I Like About You on Minority Report.

[I have a stupid fondness for What I Like About You because my younger sister lived with me for a few years, and we used to watch the reruns, and she'd always point out she could be worse. Hee.]

• Love 3

I don't really remember him from What I Like About You, which I take means he was inoffensive. I do remember him from 2 Broke Girls, where I found him creepy, but that's probably not saying much since everyone on that show is a creep and an asshole.

• Love 2

From the TV Line article

“[Executive producer] Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman,” Supergirl showrunner Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character.”

Seems like might have had Tyler in mind all along. Just my own spec, this might lead to a Superman show on CBS with Tyler. I'm almost willing to bet one internet dollar.

(edited)

I wonder if they are letting him keep his facial hair so they can show different they are from the movies?

Eh, I don't think DC will allow them to make a whole show about Superman not while he's in the movies. They probably had to fight to get a 2 episode cameo. 

Kara's 24 so MB is playing younger. Tyler could play a little older. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, calliope1975 said:

So, Supergirl is 1 year younger than Superman. OK. Well, this is a choice. TH is fine as an actor, but I also thought they would go older with the role. 

I figured they would go older too.  SPN fans were campaigning on Twitter for Matt Cohen aka Young!John Winchester which I didn't really see it myself but his age worked better for me.

Eh,  I'm not impressed with any of these casting announcements.   Zano is pretty but can barely act and I didn't care for his characters on either What I Like About You or 2 Broke Girls.  

And this other guy seems way too young and not like Superman at all to me. 

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

From the TV Line article

“[Executive producer] Greg [Berlanti] and I have wanted to work with Tyler for ages, so this worked out perfectly because Tyler is Superman,” Supergirl showrunner Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “We are so thrilled and humbled to add another amazing actor to the legacy of this iconic character.”

Seems like might have had Tyler in mind all along. Just my own spec, this might lead to a Superman show on CBS with Tyler. I'm almost willing to bet one internet dollar.

According to people I follow on Twitter, the casting dude followed the actor on Twitter a while ago. 

Zano is pretty but can barely act and I didn't care for his characters on either What I Like About You or 2 Broke Girls.  

Eh, that pretty much describes the CW's casting choices save for a select few. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 1
Just now, dtissagirl said:

I thought he was teeeeeerrible on Teen Wolf, but boy is sure PRETTY.

I never watched Teen Wolf, but I remember him from the reboot of V many years ago. He played a crap character but I thought he was pretty good.  And yes he is pretty

(edited)

He's pretty and has a nice body although a little on the lean side for Superman. I don't know how much he'll bulk up for a 2 episode role. 

As Derek on Teen Wolf he was kind of bland, I think most of his popularity came from people wanting his character to hook up with Stiles (Dylan O'Brien). This is weird news for me since I kind of wanted Meagan Tandy to play New Vixen on LoT. She played his tv girlfriend Braeden on Teen Wolf. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I never watched Teen Wolf, but I remember him from the reboot of V many years ago. He played a crap character but I thought he was pretty good.  And yes he is pretty

His character on TW didn't help, because he was supposed to be emotionally constipated at all times. So he came out wooden in most scenes.

Edited by dtissagirl
(edited)

Ugh, he's really not a good actor... but he does have presence, which is probably more important for a 2-episode Superman, really. I hope he has chemistry with MB, too.

I actually like they'll include Superman, because his absence on the show felt really bizarre. Although I'd prefer if they just supplanted the whole cast on Flarrowverse Earth and that's it. 

PS Tyler Hoechlin was on V reboot? Wow, I don't remember him at all. Whom did he play?

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't remember him on V either. It's not listed on his IMDB page. That might've been someone else. From reading his IMDB page he's apparently going to be the 50 Shades sequel. 

Edited by Sakura12
2 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

PS Tyler Hoechlin was on V reboot? Wow, I don't remember him at all. Whom did he play?

Actually, now that you have me thinking about it I think I'm confusing him with someone else.  I do remember him vaguely from 7th Heave. I'm all confused. LOL

3 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

From reading his IMDB page he's apparently going to be the 50 Shades sequel. 

oh jeez. This is so bad. Tyler. Dude. You cannot be Superman and in the worst fucking series of anything ever. LOL (YMMV)

I saw Rapaport following him a couple days back so i was wondering who he'd play... 

Now  I'm more intrigued about him following Brett Dalton and Cody Rhodes... This can either mean nothing, something pretty good, or something terribly horrendous for Arrow 

• Love 3
(edited)

I know nothing about Nick Zano, but the comments about his acting are not filling me with confidence. :(  The last thing we need is another Hawks/Savage level casting disaster. 

I did watch the first two seasons of Teen Wolf, and I liked Tyler Hoechlin on that.  He's not the world's greatest actor but neither is Colton Haynes and I always liked him.  I'm tempted to wish LoT had gotten Tyler instead of Supergirl, since I don't really think the Superman role is going to end up being very big.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

I know nothing about Nick Zano, but the comments about his acting are not filling me with confidence. :(  The last thing we need is another Hawks/Savage level casting disaster. 

I did watch the first two seasons of Teen Wolf, and I liked Tyler Hoechlin on that.  He's not the world's greatest actor but neither is Colton Haynes and I always liked him.  I'm tempted to wish LoT had gotten Tyler instead of Supergirl, since I don't really think the Superman role is going to end up being very big.

I wouldn't worry about Zano too much. I don't think he's hawk level bad so there's hope! Plus it all depends on the chemistry between the actors. Hopefully he has good chemistry with the rest of the crew. 

Also you're right the Superman role is going to be small I think that's why people are wondering if there's another spinoff in the works... 

• Love 1

I seriously doubt there's going to be a Superman show on the CW, or any other superhero show, really, unless there is a HUGE positive reaction to his appearance. There are already 4 shows in one universe, plus we all know that DC is against having the same character both in movies and on TV (I wonder how they allowed a TV Superman, frankly - I guess Caville doesn't mind).

• Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

I seriously doubt there's going to be a Superman show on the CW, or any other superhero show, really, unless there is a HUGE positive reaction to his appearance. There are already 4 shows in one universe, plus we all know that DC is against having the same character both in movies and on TV (I wonder how they allowed a TV Superman, frankly - I guess Caville doesn't mind).

IMO if they do it, it won't be on the CW, it will be on CBS. 

Doesn't Hoechlin have a huge fanbase from Teen Wolf that will follow him around?

Edited by catrox14

I think Nick Zano is just fine for LoT. From what I recall from my secretly-beloved What I Like About You, he's charming and can play off of other people. That's about all I require on these shows.

1 minute ago, FurryFury said:

After dumping Supergirl to CW? Unlikely.

And really, Hoechlin is not a headliner for such a huge project. I just don't believe it.

I'm cynical. 

I think they moved Supergirl to the CW to make way for Superman. I really do. I could be 100% wrong and I'll eat my hat if by the end of 2017 we don't hear about a stand alone Superman on CBS.

They've named dropped Superman from the get go. IMO I think this "mistake" to not take Supergirl by the CW was never a mistake. My cynical self thinks Supergirl was a test to see what would fly. Supergirl flew better than expected. The SuperFlash X over was a bit success and well received.  So now they can move SG to the CW and everyone is like OH THANK GODS they didn't cancel it. Put Superman in for a couple of episodes and if it's as well received as the Flash then boom...Superman to CBS.

3 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I thought he was teeeeeerrible on Teen Wolf, but boy is sure PRETTY.

I never watched Teen Wolf and I don't know the actor at all, but my gosh he is pretty. And if he's only around for two episodes - pretty is really all he needs to be. :)

By the way, I'd be shocked if there was a Superman spin-off. And I don't think the age thing is going to be an issue. If Kara arrived on Earth at 13 - what's the age difference, 10 years? If Kara is 24, I could buy that guy as a really well aged 34.

• Love 1

I've not seen these guys in any show before so I can't judge on acting but they look pretty. Haha.

It kinda annoyed me every time they mentioned Superman on Supergirl and now they're bringing him on anyway. I'm not hugely invested in Supergirl because I found it a bit meh and cheesy sometimes but sigh. 

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

He's not THAT bad. He just came off as smarmy on 2 Broke Girls, but that's the tenor of that whole show, really.

(edited)
16 hours ago, bijoux said:

He's not THAT bad. He just came off as smarmy on 2 Broke Girls, but that's the tenor of that whole show, really.

Okay,  so I went through his imdb page and I had no idea that was Nick in the first season of Cougar Town playing Josh, so maybe he isn't a horrible actor,  it might just be that I think Vince and Johnny are douches and let that colour my opinion of him. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1