Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I really didn't think it (Kendra and Ray making out) was too bad and this coming from someone who had literally been crying out loud to the television "Don't kiss him!  Don't kiss him!" while I watched Kendra look sweetly at Ray as he babbled. I didn't think the kissing looked awkward between them and they seemed genuinely fond of each other, I just didn't think anything should have happened so soon.

I didn't want them to go there so soon after Carter Hall's death even if It was nearly a couple months since in the show's time.  Why rush everything?  I mean Ray only seemed into her last episode because someone else brought up the idea.  But he was being cute and earlier they'd been cute together talking Star Trek and clearly I saw the kiss coming since I was begging the TV Gods not to go there but eh, they went there and once there, it was fine.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the kiss. The "I can't lose you too" part seemed to come out of nowhere, but other than the suddenness of it, I don't have an issue with the relationship. They're in a situation where any of them can die at any time. I can see Kendra deciding to seize the moment. Carter died before she could tell him how she felt. Ray almost died before she could figure out whether they could have something or not. I can see that pushing her to make an impulsive decision.

And I think part of the reason I'm ok with it is that Kendra is the one initiating the kiss, not Ray. If it had been the other way around, I don't think I would have been as fine with it.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

For me, it just feels really trite. By-the-numbers. Nothing original, no real ideas or emotion put into it. Simply a perfunctory romance without any actual basis or much chemistry. 

• Love 6

Agree that it felt trite. It felt like we have 2 beautiful people with not much to do plotwise for them for a little bit. Let's have a near-death experience and tropey make-out session. I was half surprised the kissing did not start with mouth to mouth resuscitation. Bonus, we can foray this make-out session into some weird undercover mission tension in the next episode.

• Love 1

I found the Ray/Kendra thing most awkward because in the same ep, Sara and Cold had a few nice scenes, with believable interactions and unforced chemistry that made me want to see more from them, and the opposite was true with R/K. It almost felt intentional, like when they were contrasting R/F with O/F last season, but...it wasn't. But I don't think they're trying to build R/K as any kind of "real" love story, or they wouldn't have moved on it so quickly, so as with anything to do with Kendra, I'll continue to not care about it and it won't impact my viewing experience.

• Love 3

Sara and Snart are probably the most popular pairing at this point. I don't quite ship them, but I like their interactions. I just hope they won't be forced like Ray/Kendra. (I also don't like the "Captain Canary" name because it's confusing, but that's beside the point).

• Love 2

I'm on the Sara/Snart friendship boat because I keep having the impression that Snart is gay.  (That may be my perception of Wentworth Miller bleeding over into it though.)That relationship with Mick......

Since Sara is mostly gay these days, that puts rather a hitch into her relationships with any of the men on the team.if she got together with Snart, would that be a lavender marriage?

I think Sara's bi or Oliver Queen has a magic cock that transcends sexuality. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the latter.

Oliver might. I refuse to believe that Ollie did. But I think she's bi as well.

I don't ship anyone on the show--just found it funny that the Sara/Snart scenes that felt so natural (and shippy, even if I'm not onboard yet) took place in the same episode with the rushed, forced, ineffective R/K kiss. The contrast did no favors to the R/K stuff.

• Love 3

Sara's definitely bi, considering everything on social media (CL has tweeted a pic of her and WM with a hashtag "Captain Canary", so she's definitely aware some fans ship them and she doesn't mind). Also, WM has said he sees Snart as pansexual, but anyway, he has expressed some interest in Valentina Vostok on LoT (also, he and Mich are obviously platonic).

• Love 1

Even if Sara has a preference for women now, that doesn't mean she's no longer Bi. It just means she's not attracted to any of the men she's met. I said this in the LoT relationships thread, but they had a nice bonding, maybe setting up a potential relationship down the line with Sara and Snart. Then rushed through Ray and Kendra hooking up in the same episode. Which makes it seem like they were just for plot purposes instead setting up a relationship. 

If anyone should've have been making out it was Sara and Snart just to raise their body temperatures. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I meant going for the trope of "Ohnoes we could die, let's make out".  

I'm happy they didn't because it kept everything true to their characters. While I don't know what Kendra's character is like, I guess with that they could've done anything with her. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I've seen somebody on another site point out that Kendra has had not less than FIVE guys expressing romantic interest in her in a rather short period: Cisco, Carter, Vandal Savage, Ray and Jax. Seriously, this is way too much.

• Love 1

LOL but the only person who expressed interest in her that I can possibly imagine her with is Ray.  I mean seriously - I don't even like Kendra and Carter in the flashbacks when they are supposed to be madly in love.  I don't know why, but I don't.

• Love 1

This whole thing started because Vandal wanted to get with Chayara/Kendra and she wanted to be with Carter. If the world ends it will be because of a rather troubling love triangle. So I don't quite know how I feel about that. Plus I'm beginning to feel VS sorta reminds me of Jafar from Aladdin. I kinda want him to get a talking traveling pet to talk to :)

• Love 3

DC Super Hero Girls get an hour long special – But where’s Vixen?
Published on March 7th, 2016 | by Bags Hooper
http://www.buzzfocus.com/2016/03/07/dc-super-hero-girls-get-an-hour-long-special-but-wheres-vixen/

Boomerang has just announced another entry into DC Animation’s ongoing legacy. Super Hero High will feature iconic DC heroes and villains including Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumblebee, Poison Ivy and Katana. The special focuses on DC’s women stars, during their teenage years.
One thing that seems to be missing from the key art is Vixen. This hero has been featured in her own CW Seed series – that you really have to watch – as well as on CW’s Arrow. It seems like a slight oversight that she is not part of the core group. Having said that, Hawkgirl does appear as part of a Junior Detective League that also features The Flash and Bumblebee. So maybe Vixen will also make an appearance.

Super Hero High debuts on Saturday, March 19 at 10AM.

I am surprised that DC hasn't upped the anti when promoting Vixen and trying to make her happen. They have gone ALL out when it comes to Cyborg.

As for LoT, if they are going to keep around Captain "Cold" imma need them to have him start actually freezing things instead of just using his gun as some sort of regular energy blaster that does no big harm, same with "Heatwave". 

TV’s Superheroes Grapple With Product Placement
Brian Steinberg  MARCH 10, 2016 | 07:40AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/super-heroes-tv-advertising-legends-of-tomorrow-flash-supergirl-gotham-arrow-1201727177/

When “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” airs this evening on the CW, viewers won’t see Ford vehicles turn up while Hawkgirl, Firestorm and White Canary zoom about on screen. But they will see Ford cars during a commercial break, when the car manufacturer unveils a promotion that lets “Legends” viewers explore three different “fan art” murals (pictured, above) over the course of the rest of the TV season.  Viewers will be prodded to go online, where they can see longer videos about the artwork and even get clues about the show’s storylines. Brandon Routh, who plays Ray Palmer (also know as the Atom) on “Legends,” will be featured in one, and others will boast Franz Drameh, who as “Jax” Jackson shares the body of Firestorm, and Ciara Renee, who plays Hawkgirl.
The CW has built other team-ups between sponsor and superhero. Activision wanted to promote the launch of a new version of “Guitar Hero” last year in “Arrow” and “The Flash.” Yet having the characters in the shows play the game did not seem likely to work in either show’s storyline, said Robin. Instead, actors from the shows took part in “Guitar Hero” competitions for “Team Arrow” or “Team Flash” in ad breaks. AT&T has sponsored weekly “fan talk” recap shows for “The Flash.”

TV’s Superheroes Grapple With Product Placement

Brian Steinberg  MARCH 10, 2016 | 07:40AM PT

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/super-heroes-tv-advertising-legends-of-tomorrow-flash-supergirl-gotham-arrow-1201727177/

Ever since watching Chuck, I've been pretty in board about product placement and special tie ins. Those sponsors are keeping something I love alive. And with Chuck the Subway product placements became for me a great running joke.

That said I'm still waiting to find out how Felicity upgraded her very not powerful tablets. Did make a winning frisbee, so guess it all worked out.

• Love 3

Ever since watching Chuck, I've been pretty in board about product placement and special tie ins. Those sponsors are keeping something I love alive. And with Chuck the Subway product placements became for me a great running joke.

That said I'm still waiting to find out how Felicity upgraded her very not powerful tablets. Did make a winning frisbee, so guess it all worked out.

Chuck was the first thing I thought of when I saw that article too. It was so silly at times but it kept my show on the air... so it was all good in my book.

I personally love the car promotions in shows that have been going on for years. Like in fast paced action shows like Nikita, where they take a few minutes to stop and admire the features of their new car that help them get the mission done. When in all reality the gps or the sound system is probably the least important thing on the characters minds.

If promotional considerations keep my shows on the air or give them the budget bumps to make a better story I have no problem how they have to weave it into the story. Although it is funny to think about how they could get the promos into LoT with the time travel. It's not as easy as when they showed the Microsoft symbol in earlier seasons of Arrow.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1