Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I expect them to cast a twenty something but I’d rather they go with a thirty something. Especially if they decide to keep Kate’s backstory where she had a promising military career that was derailed by Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. That’s more believable with a thirty something than a twenty something. Now if they forgo that backstory then s twenty something can work but I hope they keep it because DC has gotten some great character stuff out of it. That also could generate enough interest to get a spinoff if that’s their ultimate goal. Kate on her own should be enough but she’s a non-icon female superhero and will need every ounce of help they can give her. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I'd be cool with Bridget Regan playing Batwoman. She played a fighter in both Agent Carter and Legend of the Seeker.

I enjoyed her in both those shows.  I didn’t understand the comment in one of those lists that she hadn’t had much action experience, because both Kahlan and Dottie were action roles.

2 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I expect them to cast a twenty something but I’d rather they go with a thirty something. Especially if they decide to keep Kate’s backstory where she had a promising military career that was derailed by Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. That’s more believable with a thirty something than a twenty something. Now if they forgo that backstory then s twenty something can work but I hope they keep it because DC has gotten some great character stuff out of it. That also could generate enough interest to get a spinoff if that’s their ultimate goal. Kate on her own should be enough but she’s a non-icon female superhero and will need every ounce of help they can give her. 

I totally agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I don't see why they wouldn't.  Who would you suggest then @JJ928

So I know these are unrealistic but they're the first that come to mind.

Antoinette Robertson (she'd be my first pick tbh. I love her on DWP)

Jaime Chung (I know she's on gifted)

Sarah Shahi (I know too old)

Yaya DaCosta (on med)

Adria Arjona

Aimee Garcia

I agree, I'd like an actress in her thirties, I just think they'll cast younger. Honestly, I'll be happy with a total unknown as long as she can act & can manage the physical part of the role. But I'd really love a WOC, because in the verse the mains are all white. I'm not counting BL because they're technically not part of our universe yet.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'd love it if they racebent it too...but I am not sure they want to do it. They probably think hiring a redheaded actress for the role would be so diverse since there are no red heads in this universe.

Edited by Cleanqueen
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

I'd love it if they racebent it too...but I am not sure they want to do it. They probably think hiring a red hair actress for the role would be so diverse since there are no red heads in this universe.

The irony here being that Kate wears a red wig as part of the costume so the actor doesn’t actually need to have red hair and can be a different race. But it won’t happen. Similar to how Game of Thrones didn’t have to cast white actors for the main roles, since hair color matters more in the story (and most of the women wear wigs anyway), but it never occurred to them in the casting process. 

If Malese Jow weren’t part of the Flash verse I’d love to see her be Kate. Or Kelly Hu if she weren’t part of Arrow verse. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

EW's choice to play Batwoman in the next Arrowverse crossover - I can't say that I agree (even though I like Keri Russell)...

What should Keri Russell do after The Americans?
CHANCELLOR AGARD and DARREN FRANICH May 31, 2018 at 10:00 AM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/31/what-should-keri-russell-do-after-the-americans/

After being on The Americans which is a well regarded and respected television show by tv elite, Im going to assume Kerri would see an offer to appear on The CW as a step down.

I think if they are using the crossover as a back door pilot for a spin off they'll probably go for a relative unknown or someone with not a lot of credits, because then they don't need to pay them as much once it goes to series. Sort of like how Stephen Melissa and Grant weren't hugely well known or had a ton of credits before they were cast.

But if Batwoman is just a one off appearance then they'd maybe go for some with more name recognition. 

I think Lyndsy Fonseca would be a great choice if they want an actress in her early 30's, who has also previously been on the CW. She starred both on Nikita and Agent Carter. She has the physicality and I think shes a pretty decent actress. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

I think Lyndsy Fonseca would be a great choice if they want an actress in her early 30's, who has also previously been on the CW. She starred both on Nikita and Agent Carter. She has the physicality and I think shes a pretty decent actress. 

She’s got a dance background so she can do the choreography plus she’s been away from my tv for too long. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don’t know how coordinated Keri is but the thought does intrigue me. Don’t think they’ll consider her but she has the talent to be sure. 

Are there any CW favorites who may be eligible for the role? I’m wondering if they’ll just hire a network favorite for the part. As long as she’s talented and can do basic choreography I’ll be happy. No one from the Vampire Diaries verse please.

My guess is they’ll have Kate cast before Comic Con so they can do a big announcement and give the actress enough time to prepare for the crossover. 

Imagine Phoebe Tonkin as your long awaited Kate! =P

I hope I gave you nightmares =P

• Love 3

I need Batwoman to be someone kind of intimidating and not a generic cute. I want her to have a maturity to her.  

Kerry would be great but TheCW is not what you do after The Americans. 

Shame that Katee had to be wasted with Amunet. She wouldve made a decent Batwoman.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Imagine Phoebe Tonkin as your long awaited Kate! =P

I hope I gave you nightmares =P

Yeah I wouldn’t care for that. :)  I don’t hate Phoebe Tonkin but I don’t really think she’s a very good actress.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I need Batwoman to be someone kind of intimidating and not a generic cute. I want her to have a maturity to her.  

Personal preference, but I hope they cast someone tall.  Someone that will be practically, if not literally, at eye-level with SA.  That’s one reason why the Adrianne Palicki idea appeals to me so much; the other of course being how much I loved her in AoS.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Personal preference, but I hope they cast someone tall.  Someone that will be practically, if not literally, at eye-level with SA.  That’s one reason why the Adrianne Palicki idea appeals to me so much; the other of course being how much I loved her in AoS.

I was going to say I wanted someone tall as well but looking at Keri's height, her confidence and intimidation makes up for it so if someone who isnt as tall as SA can pull it off, I'd be fine with it.

I don't think Phoebe's a bad actress when she's allowed to use her accent but she's not suited to play American roles because she spends most of her time trying to sound American rather than on character motivation and behavior.

I don't necessarily need someone tall but I do want someone with presence.  As much as I like Aimee Garcia, I see her as too gamine. Ive just watched Yaya DaCosta for three seasons on Chicago Med and she's pretty bad on that. Someone like Jaime Chung would be good.  What about Jurnee Smollett-Bell?

Actually I could see Candice Patton in the role if she wasn't playing Iris.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Kerry would be great but TheCW is not what you do after The Americans. 

Shame that Katee had to be wasted with Amunet. She wouldve made a decent Batwoman.

I like Katee (even enjoyed her on The Flash in that silly role) and she plays a tough woman very well but I can' really see her as Batwoman, not because I know anything about the character of Batwoman but the Bat Family all have a certain feel to them.  

They're never gonna cast someone that is eye level with SA lol. SA already complains about the new characters/guest stars on Arrow being taller than him, he couldn't handle a woman being his height. Since they said Arrow was key to the crossover w/Batwoman, my guess is she'll be introduced on his show. Antoinette Robertson would be my #1 pick. She is 5'8, a great actress, she's guest starred on a CW show before, her netflix show is only 10 eps so she could do both, and while she fits the CW thin standard she's more athletically built. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 9.36.48 PM.png

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I love Gina Torres, but she’s committed to the Suits spin-off, and she’s also 49, so likely quite a bit older than they would be considering. 

Here’s a couple of dream-casting lists that I’ve run across.  

Entertainment Weekly: Who should play Batwoman in the Arrowverse?

Geeks: The Hero We Deserve: 10 Actresses Who Could Play Batwoman in the Arrowverse

Ooh I like the idea of one of Rose Leslie, Bridget Regan, Yvonne Strahovski, Alexandra Breckenridge, Jane Levy playing Batwoman

• Love 1
(edited)

The 2018 Tell-Tale TV Awards: Results! Black Lightning, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Grey’s Anatomy, and Stranger Things Among Winners
May 30, 2018Tell-Tale TV
https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/05/the-2018-tell-tale-tv-awards-results-black-lightning-brooklyn-nine-nine-greys-anatomy-and-stranger-things-among-winners/

Favorite New Sci-fi/Fantasy Series: Black Lightning
Black Lightning electrifies the audience with action, drama, and intrigue during every episode we get to see with this phenomenal cast consisting of Cress Williams, Nafessa Williams, China Anne McClain and more.

This riveting series gives us a peek inside the life of a black superhero who has to learn to balance revenge, happiness, love, his blossoming superhero daughters, Thunder and Lightning, and the responsibilities of the city’s hailed Black Jesus.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I had posted the official trailer for this new movie, Peppermint, in the Small Talk thread, but this article compares it to Marvel's The Punisher (indeed, Peppermint sounds like an origin story for a female superhero vigilante) - btw, per the trailer, her character spends 5 years away transforming herself from regular person into kickass fighter (but presumably, no Bratva or League of Assassins training) - also, I'm all for 46-year-old Jennifer Garner becoming an action star, when male actors in Hollywood are allowed to be action stars well into their 50's and 60's...

Peppermint Trailer Transforms Jennifer Garner Into the Angel of Death
RYAN SCOTT    May 31, 2018
https://movieweb.com/peppermint-movie-trailer-2018-jennifer-garner/

What would happen if you take Jennifer Garner, pair her up with the dude who directed Taken and basically turned her into The Punisher? The first trailer for Peppermint is here to answer that question. This may not be something you knew you wanted, but it may well be something you're interested in after seeing the trailer, as Garner makes a strong case for becoming an action star. Enough time has passed for us to forget Elektra.
Peppermint is an action thriller which tells the story of young mother Riley North (Jennifer Garner) who awakens from a coma after her husband and daughter are killed in a brutal attack on the family. When the system frustratingly shields the murderers from justice, Riley sets out to transform herself from citizen to urban guerilla. Channeling her frustration into personal motivation, she spends years in hiding honing her mind, body and spirit to become an unstoppable force, eluding the underworld, the LAPD and the FBI, as she methodically delivers her personal brand of justice.

The movie comes from director Pierre Morel. He's the man responsible for turning Liam Neeson into an action star with Taken. He didn't direct either of the unfortunate sequels, but he also hasn't directed anything worth bragging about in the decade since, with movies like From Paris With Love and The Gunman under his belt. Maybe getting back to his revenge-driven action roots will be the thing that turns it around. Morel directs from a script by Chad St. John (London Has Fallen). As it happens, St. John is the man who wrote the 2012 unofficial Punisher short Dirty Laundry that brought Thomas Jane back and was received quite well by fans. So the fact that there are parallels here isn't so surprising.

The cast includes Jennifer Garner, John Ortiz, John Gallagher Jr., Juan Pablo Raba. The action flick is set to arrive in theaters on September 7. That's something of an odd time. It's either where studios dump their garbage or, in some cases, where we get something special like IT last year. New line is releasing The Conjuring spin-off The Nun on the same day and could represent some stiff competition. Be sure to check out the first trailer for Peppermint, courtesy of the STX Entertainment YouTube channel, for yourself below.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

That does look good. I think JG made a mistake trying to get away from action roles after Alias and the failure of Electra. I'm also glad that they had her train for 5 years and not just magically decided to become a vigilante and was an expert at it. 

If Frank ever needed a partner he should look her up. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That does look good. I think JG made a mistake trying to get away from action roles after Alias and the failure of Electra. I'm also glad that they had her train for 5 years and not just magically decided to become a vigilante and was an expert at it

If Frank ever needed a partner he should look her up. 

Yes! That made so much sense! When the trailer started I was thinking "Surely she's not going to cry for a bit and then develop mad skills with no training."

Was so happy when they said she vanished for 5 years! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Smallville’s Justin Hartley Weighs in on a Possible Arrow Guest Spot
by Jon Arvedon  May 31, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/smallville-justin-hartley-arrow-guest-appearance/

Smallville alum Justin Hartley, who was the first actor to play Oliver Queen/Green Arrow for The CW prior to the formation of the Arrowverse, has admitted he’d be open to a guest appearance alongside Stephen Amell’s Emerald Archer on the network’s flagship superhero series Arrow.

Fellow Smallville actor Michael Rosenbaum, who played Lex Luthor on the series, had Hartley as a guest on his podcast Inside of You, and the discussion shifted over to Arrow — specifically, whether or not Hartley would do a guest spot on the show. “If it was the right part, yeah…” Hartley responded. “I love interesting characters. Yeah, if it was something that I could get excited about, yeah, of course.”

‘Smallville’ Almost Had A Green Arrow & Lois Lane Spinoff In Metropolis
by RYDEN SCARNATO on MAY 31, 2018
https://heroichollywood.com/smallville-spin-off-green-arrow/

Multiple Smallville spin-offs were talked about when the show was still airing including an Aquaman show, which has a TV pilot episode. Justin Hartley, who played Green Arrow in Smallville, talked on the “Inside of You” podcast about the potential spin-off.

"While I was on the show, while I was on Smallville, there were several different spinoff ideas that they had. They wanted to do a spinoff called Metropolis or something like that, I heard whispers of that. It was Lois and Oliver in Metropolis and whatever that was. They were trying to extend the life of the show."

Of course, the CW went moved on from Smallville and went a different route with Arrow and Stephen Ameel [sic] taking over the Green Arrow role. Arrow would then launch the Arrowverse with multiple successful spin-offs currently on the air.

Audio only (warning: some crude, adult language used)...
Justin Hartley - Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum
Published on May 29, 2018, by COMEDY CENTRAL NTQ

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I wonder if that planned spin off was after Smallville ended or while Smallville was on the air because if it was after the show finished it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since Clark lived in Metropolis and was married Lois and I got the impression Oliver and Chloe no longer did. How would they explain their husband or wife not being around? 

1 hour ago, Cleanqueen said:

I think Kylie Bunbrury would be a great candidate for Batwoman as well. I know her pilot didn't get picked up so she does have free time.

image.thumb.png.c45d0272a2938fa4b256a333a6b71df0.pngimage.png.2b2efa2ec0695547721bb34d73592ba5.png

I love her so I would be totally for this casting.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Lily-n11 said:

Filming from: July 5th to January 24th, 2019.

That’s a month shorter than this last season, so that supports the 16-episode order report.  

38 minutes ago, Lily-n11 said:

Adam Tsekhman.

Has Adam been added as a regular?  Did I miss an announcement?  Not that I’m opposed - just surprised.

• Love 1
(edited)

So if the other shows have 22 episodes now, will they start two weeks later in July or end two weeks earlier in April? Or have a longer Christmas hiatus?

Edited by ruby24
7 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

I wonder if that planned spin off was after Smallville ended or while Smallville was on the air because if it was after the show finished it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since Clark lived in Metropolis and was married Lois and I got the impression Oliver and Chloe no longer did. How would they explain their husband or wife not being around? 

I remember people talking about the possibility of the show title being changed to Metropolis in the later seasons well before it ended.  Not sure if the fan talk inspired spin-off talk or vice versa. 

(edited)

Wonder Woman 2 producer teases what year the sequel takes place
JAMES HIBBERD June 01, 2018 at 06:34 PM EDT
http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/01/wonder-woman-2-setting/

Wonder Woman’s next stop is likely one of the most iconic years of the 20th century according to a Facebook post by executive producer Geoff Johns.

The producer hinted that Diana Prince’s next adventure is set in the year 1984 (which also aligns with rumors we’ve heard about the project). Johns posted the following which includes “WW84” distorted like a retro TV signal:

Previously, director Patty Jenkins revealed that Wonder Woman 2 will be set in the United States.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Female-fronted Spider-Man spin-off Silver & Black pulled from Sony schedule
JOEY NOLFI June 01, 2018 at 02:52 PM EDT
http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/01/spider-man-spinoff-silver-black-pulled-sony-schedule/

EW has confirmed the studio’s female-fronted Silver & Black actioner — an adaptation featuring comic book characters Silver Sable and Black Cat — has been pulled from its intended Feb. 8, 2019 release date.

Sources tell EW the film, which is still set to be directed by Love & Basketball helmer Gina Prince-Bythewood, simply wouldn’t have been ready on time to meet its target theatrical bow. Sony has moved its Tom Hanks-starring WWII drama Greyhound up two months from its April 5, 2019 slot to fill Silver & Black‘s vacant space.

Though Prince-Bythewood is still on board, the film does not yet have a principal cast in place to play the titular characters. Silver Sable, a mercenary on the hunt for global criminals, first appeared in a June 1985 issue of The Amazing Spider-Man, while Black Cat preceded her debut by six years in the summer of 1979.

Like Sony’s upcoming Venom tentpole, Silver & Black is intended to serve as a standalone picture under the Sony umbrella, as opposed to Spider-Man: Homecoming, which has been incorporated into the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Poor Juliana Harkavy - so often forgotten...

RUMOR: DC’s ‘Birds Of Prey’ To Introduce Black Canary
by MIKE ANNERINO on JUNE 2, 2018
https://heroichollywood.com/dc-birds-of-prey-black-canary/

A new rumor has surfaced suggesting that Black Canary is set to appear in DC’s upcoming Birds of Prey movie.

Omega Underground has revealed that a new rumor is floating around suggesting that both Black Canary and Huntress could make an appearance in Birds of Prey. The DC characters have most recently appeared in live-action on The CW’s Arrow. Black Canary was played by both Katie Cassidy and Caity Lotz, while Huntress was portrayed briefly by Jessica de Gouw. With recent rumors also suggesting that Penguin could make an appearance, it seems that DC may be taking a deep dive into its roster of side characters to further expand the DC Extended Universe.

RUMOR: ‘Birds of Prey’ Also Expected To Include Black Canary
Christopher Marc   June 2, 2018
https://omegaunderground.com/2018/06/02/rumor-birds-of-prey-also-expected-to-include-black-canary/amp/

Yesterday, we revealed our own rumor concerning the character lineup of Cathy Yan’s Birds of Prey after Variety suggested that The Penguin might appear and TheWrap adding that Catwoman won’t.

Stating that we hear that Huntress will be part of the lineup.

A lot of people were asking us about Black Canary and like Huntress we’ve also heard the DC heroine is part of the film.

However, without character breakdowns or castings to back this up we will continue to treat the inclusion of both Huntress and Black Canary (as expected as they might be) as rumors until further information can confirm them.

TheWrap recently debunked online chatter that French actress Lea Seydoux was being eyed to play Canary.

As HeroicHollywood has pointed out filming isn’t expected to begin until January and things can change between now and next year.

Yet, switching gears from Gotham City Sirens to Birds of Prey does suggest we might be seeing more heroes than villains in this movie, at least as the primary leads.
If Birds of Prey does begin filming in January it does suggest a release date will be set for 2020. Warner Bros. has yet to give it an official release date.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

8 Series That Show DC is Better at TV than Film
06-01-18 • Comics, TV Posted by Kevin Galbreath
http://nerdbastards.com/2018/06/01/8-series-that-show-dc-is-better-at-tv-than-film/

It all started with Arrow.
The series takes a new look at the Green Arrow character, as well as other characters from the DC Comics universe. Although Oliver Queen/Green Arrow had been featured in the television series Smallville from 2006 to 2011, on the CW, the producers decided to start clean and find a new actor to portray the character. Arrow focuses on the humanity of Oliver Queen, and how he was changed by time spent shipwrecked on an island.

The strength of the show lies in the fact that it boasts cinematic action sequences, strong plotting, and intriguing characters.  It honors the comics that inspired it but doesn’t try to copy them.   That was an important lesson for DC to learn.

The success of Arrow opened the door for The CW to greenlight another series from DC, The Flash.
Initially envisioned as a backdoor pilot, the positive reception Gustin received during two appearances as Barry on Arrow led to executives choosing to develop a full pilot to make use of a larger budget and help flesh out Barry’s world in more detail.  The show improved dramatically when they started downplaying Barry’s social awkwardness and moved toward a focus on the science.
Premiering at roughly the same time as The Flash, Gotham took one of the best known DC franchises and flipped it on its head.
If Arrow proved that DC didn’t have to be beholden to the source material, Gotham proved that high production values and great casting could recreate the Batman legend and make it fresh again.  Stand out casting of Sean Pertwee (son of the 3rd Doctor on Doctor Who), Jada Pinkett-Smith, Donal Logue, and Robin Lord Taylor (and many others) gave the show a strong start.  The recently ended 4th season has been rolling full tilt toward revealing the final genesis of the Batman character and Gotham’s villains that each episode seems too short.
Building off the success of the unrelated Walking Dead franchise, DC got an unexpected success with [iZombie].  The lesson with this show was that lesser known properties could bring new fans to the properties.  It also proved that a DC show didn’t have to be as serious as Gotham to find an audience.
If no one expected iZombie to be made (or succeed), the next show that was brought to series was a no brainer in both areas, Supergirl.
The show ditches the moody darkness and like Superman, the show is about the heart of its central character.  DC should remember that sometime a show can be fun and light.  Yet still bring the somber consequences of its darker properties.

Along with the acquisition of Supergirl, The CW added another show to the Arrowverse, Legends of Tomorrow.
The strength of this series was the fact that it was an ensemble piece from the beginning.  Even though many of the characters had appeared in the Arrow-verse on Flash and Arrow, the show spent a lot of its early episodes providing the exposition about who each “Legend” was and why they were picked by Hunter.  Once everything was established, the show began to find its feet (and its audience) as it brought in groups like the Legion of Doom and other adversaries that allowed for the expansion beyond that original storyline.  The focus here was not placed on one character like The Flash or Supergirl but on a group that each had their own history and reasons for what they do on the show.

Hopefully, DC will learn the lesson from Marvel for any future film team ups.  But for TV they got it right, eventually.
This show [Preacher] is a celebration of the bizarre.  The first scene is an African preacher proclaiming he is a new prophet for the people right before a comet crashes into him and splatters his congregation with his remains. The show does many things really well.  The over the top violence, pop culture references, and the wonderful cinematography make the show exciting most of the time.  The creators of the show wanted to keep the show as close to the source materials tone as possible.  They succeeded.

The lesson here is that gruesome humor that sometimes doesn’t make sense still makes for good TV.

The lesson of the next show to join the pantheon, Black Lightning, is that a superhero show can have real-world plots and not be tied to other properties to find success.
If they can keep the show moving forward it should be a complex and mature action-drama that opens up the demographics for DC shows.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is a really fascinating and thoughtful panel discussion...

OUT@WB: Full Arrowverse LGBTQ+ Panel
Published on Jun 2, 2018, by DC

OUT@WB is a group within Warner Bros. dedicated to increasing LGBTQ visibility and fostering a culture of understanding within the company and the world at large. Recently, OUT@WB hosted a diversity panel on the Warner Bros. lot featuring actors Echo Kellum, Caity Lotz, Nafessa Williams, Keiynan Lonsdale, Jes Macallan and Executive Producer Greg Berlanti. The panel focused on representation on television and looking at some of the ways that The CW's "Arrowverse" is leading the charge, while discussing some of the challenges that still lay ahead. In celebration of Pride Month, DC All Access is proud to present this important discussion in full. Enjoy!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

^^^ Arguably, more evidence that CL's character of Sara Lance was originally intended to be Black Canary...

Greg Berlanti: "And you were the first regular that we had on the Arrowverse that was an LGBT character."
Caity Lotz: "Yeah, that was a long time ago. Yeah. So long. I think - I didn't even know, like, when I first did it. I was just reading in the script - 'cause, like, one episode, I'm making out with Stephen Amell. And then the next episode, it was like, and then her - you know, you and Katrina Law make out. And I was like, 'oh, okay.'"
GB: "We didn't have that conversation with you prior?"
CL: "No, I don't think we did." (Everyone laughs)
GB: "Oh."
CL: "Yeah. I got the, like, 'you're the dead sister,' and they gave me a Black Canary doll and were like - (Winks and points) ... I was like, 'okay.' It was like a side bonus. Yeah."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8

Since he is a HVFF fixture you girls might want to avoid Drew Powell from Gotham. I just saw on twitter that he asked a young girl for sexy pictures of herself on his instagram, when it got people's attention he deleted the comments and turned off comments on his instagram. Just another actor to add on the "Why be so gross?" list. 

• Love 1
(edited)

^^^ Also, Berlanti confirmed that TPTB affected Sara's choice of sexual partners...

GB: "We've had an interesting thing with your character - which now everyone's sort of more open about - which was, we created you as a bisexual character, and had those conversations with you ultimately about it, maybe not when we should've. Uh, but then there was a preference from The Powers That Be, truthfully, that we pretty much only have you be with women for a little bit. And then there was more of an openness. Uh, and I know from our end, there was a sense of, like - there was a sensitivity that we were going to somehow upset lesbian members or bisexual members of the audience if we still showed you with men as a bisexual female character. So there was, like, a sensitivity around it, but it was sort of a very modern sensitivity because it wasn't - and then - now we've blown past that. You've been with male and female characters." 

(He then asked CL what her experience was like throughout that. CL then talked about how some fans thought she was being "gay-washed" because she was only shown with female love interests even though she was supposed to be bisexual. CL then said that she talked to "Marc and Phil" about it and told them that they should still be "honoring" the fact that Sara is bisexual, and "they were very open to it.")

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

I only transcribed a few bits from this video of their two press panel interviews on Sat. & Sun. (May 26 & 27, 2018)...

The Flash's Danielle Nicolet & Jessica Parker Kennedy Interview - MCM Comic Con London - May 2018
Published on May 28, 2018, by Geektown

-- In response to media question of whether they've had the opportunity to read the comics and source material behind what makes The Flash the show what it is, DN: "Yes, I have some. And what I found - and my best advice to Jessica coming onto the show a little after me - is that the source material is really helpful for a framework, but in terms of detail, it's best not to do, like, deep dives into the muck, because - I know the fans get very attached to what happens in the comics, but what happens in a comic book, it does not always translate to television. And it doesn't also always translate into the evolution of a story. Um, and if we stayed stuck with it, like, I wouldn't get to be Cecile, because Cecile would be a red-headed Irish woman who wore a big hat and who was only ever in court. You know, so, yes, I tend to, when new characters come onto the show especially, do a little sort of, like, just background to see how in the big picture it relates. And then you just try to throw it away and let the writers do their thing." JPK: "I was thinking, I actually can't answer that question, 'cause I realized that there's, like, another level to, like, who I am that's, like, part of something else that I can't talk about."

-- DN: "I don’t think I’m spoiling anything to say that there are going to be more crossovers this next season. And (long pause) yes, there is a very strong likelihood that there - one or two people at this table will be crossing over, probably both."

-- On whether there are any storylines from the comics that she'd like to see on the TV series, JPK: "I haven't read the comics, so I'm really ignorant in that aspect of it... We were talking about this yesterday, about, um, kind of how not everything from the comics can be translated onto television, 'cause it just doesn't work. So I'm just kind of just here for the ride." DN: "For me, I just enjoy the not know - I have an overall familiarity, but I enjoy the not knowing, because every season there's - a major element from the comics is introduced for what's going to be happening in any given storyline. So I enjoy kinda waiting for that. And then I read the comic and find out - you know, and I get the background on every character and what they originally were. And then I get to enjoy the evolution of that into modern times that we get, and into a 23-episode season that we get from the writers, and, you know, how we get to incorporate our characters into it. So for me, that part's - it's half of the adventure of being on a show like this."

-- On whether the tone of Flash will stay the same or whether there will be another tone shift next season, DN: "To the extent of my knowledge, I think the tone from last - this last season - which, I don't know if you all have seen the finale, 'cause it airs here on Tuesday, so I won't go too far, but - um, the tone from this last season, I think, is what the show intends to go forward with. I think all of these shows have this really amazing balance of - Arrow kind of has a darkness to it. Um, Flash has more of a lightness, it's got bits more of a comedic element to it. Um, there's more of like a city vibe to Black Lightning. Every show has its own thing. And, I think, Flash tries really hard to sort of stay in its - in its lane, as far as - in the comic and in the show, there is always a tongue in cheek humor to everything. And there's always a lightness that allowed intensity to like happen literally in a flash. So I think what you saw this last season is sort of where we're going to stay next year."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 6/1/2018 at 1:43 PM, Cleanqueen said:

I think Kylie Bunbrury would be a great candidate for Batwoman as well. I know her pilot didn't get picked up so she does have free time.

image.thumb.png.c45d0272a2938fa4b256a333a6b71df0.pngimage.png.2b2efa2ec0695547721bb34d73592ba5.png

I was just about to suggest her. 

• Love 2