Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I don't think that poster is red enough tbh. LOL.

8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Has TF ever had official posters with the whole cast? Before season 4, Arrow always had at least one poster with just Oliver, and another with everyone else, but I don't remember seeing the latter for Flash.

Pretty sure TF poster has always just been Barry.

Edited by Guest
12 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Pretty sure TF poster has always just been Barry.

Yeah, The Flash has never done a full cast poster.  Honestly, I'm not expecting to get one for Arrow either.  I might be pleasantly surprised, but I'm fully expecting a solo Arrow poster for this season.  

Just now, Starfish35 said:

Yeah, The Flash has never done a full cast poster.  Honestly, I'm not expecting to get one for Arrow either.  I might be pleasantly surprised, but I'm fully expecting a solo Arrow poster for this season.  

Same. I'd prefer a solo Arrow poster actually. Less hassle. Less reason for me to get aggravated by all the focus on masks.

Full cast pics just cause a lot of unnecessary drama especially when it comes to the position of the characters. The main will obviously be upfront and center... But if one's fave isn't right next to the main then all hell breaks loose. 

Just look at the reaction to the season 3 poster... Imagine the reaction if Felicity isn't next to Oliver or if Diggle isn't next to Oliver (instead, Thea is)

• Love 2

The Flash is even tricker... 

Grant is upfront and center... But then what about the other characters? Candice AND Danielle would have to flank him to get the least amount of drama. But then that would leave fan fave Carlos towards the back and that doesn't make sense... So Carlos HAS to be one of the people next to Grant... So then the show would have to choose between Candice OR Danielle and that'd cause such a mess. I think if they did one, they'd choose Candice as she's the female lead... but who really knows?

The reason I don't think we'll get a full cast poster this year is because I don't think we really got one last year.  There was a Comic-Con full cast poster, but I don't think that was the "official" Season 4 poster.  I think the "official" one was solo Arrow in the new suit.  *shrug* I might be wrong about that though. 

Are we even sure we'll get a poster at all? I think Chico forgets Arrow exists. 

It'll probably just be a green background with Arrow...? as the title. LMAO.

Edit: Actually it'll more likely say ERROR. Hahahaha.

Edited by Guest

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/20/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-of-tomorrow-ew-popfest?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Villains, metahumans, and time-traveling bad guys, watch your backs. Heroes are about to collide in an epic gathering of DC Comics’ CW superheroes, including Stephen Amell (Arrow), Grant Gustin (The Flash), Melissa Benoist (Supergirl), and Caity Lotz (Legends of Tomorrow), along with the mastermind behind all four series, producer Greg Berlanti. The fivesome will join forces at EW’s PopFest to talk superhero TV and answer fan questions in a special Q&A.

EW PopFest runs from Oct. 29-30 at The Reef in Downtown Los Angeles. For more information and to purchase tickets, go to ewpopfest.com.

2nd tweet links to  PopFest website 

Edited by Lily-n11
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't actually follow LoT but I got the impression that she's become the face of it pretty much. Makes sense to chose her to represent the show.

She has in some ways, but Brandon Routh is still the bigger name. At SDCC, it seemed they were sharing some of the duties. And it does feel like bros generally get higher ranking of importance in the Flarrowverse. So that is why I was surprised CL got the call over BR.

• Love 3

The spoilers for LoT seem to be saying that Sara might be taking over as Team Leader this season. While she's 4th in billing she does seem to be becoming more and more the face of the show because she's more popular that BR. The CW shows promos feature Sara more than Ray. 

25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't actually follow LoT but I got the impression that she's become the face of it pretty much. Makes sense to chose her to represent the show.

She's not THE face of LoT but she's one of the 3 main faces for LoT (Victor Garber and Brandon Routh being the other two). My guess is BR wasn't available or they wanted symmetry with 2 guys/2 girls.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

The spoilers for LoT seem to be saying that Sara might be taking over as Team Leader this season. While she's 4th in billing she does seem to be becoming more and more the face of the show because she's more popular that BR. The CW shows promos feature Sara more than Ray. 

She's just so much fun to watch during her action scenes.  She looks badass all the time.  BR and VG need CGI. 

• Love 2

VG is always badass. He doesn't need any CGI :)

The writers seem to think his character needs CGI, but let's face it VG has proven to be badass on this project and previous projects. They can keep their fiery effects. Just give VG a cool jacket & some weapons. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, kismet said:

VG is always badass. He doesn't need any CGI :)

The writers seem to think his character needs CGI, but let's face it VG has proven to be badass on this project and previous projects. They can keep their fiery effects. Just give VG a cool jacket & some weapons. 

Here here!

• Love 2

Arrow's poster is more creative. I don't know what the Flash poster is supposed to mean, it looks like Barry's being sucked into a wall of red paint. Or he killed everyone and is bathing in their blood. I'm getting serious Dexter vibes from that poster. 

• Love 14

Yet another list of someone's top CW shows (in honor of The CW's 10th anniversary)...

The Movies/TV 8 Ball: The Top 8 CW Shows
September 20, 2016 | Posted by Jeremy Thomas
http://411mania.com/movies/the-moviestv-8-ball-the-top-8-cw-shows/

#7: Arrow
.  .  .
We can talk about how Arrow hasn’t quite hit the heights of its season two peak, but it is undeniable that the show helped define what The CW has become over the last four years. When the Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg-created take on Green Arrow launched on the network in 2012, I think it’s safe to say that fan expectations weren’t enormously high. Comic book TV series had yet to reach the heights that they’re at now and while popular, Green Arrow was considered a second-tier character among DC’s roster. But with a great lead in Stephen Amell and a grounded yet fun approach to the ideals of superhero storytelling, Arrow put The CW in front of a new audience and found its niche as the place to go for fanboy fare among the broadcast networks. That was punctuated by some great early arcs, particularly that of Manu Bennett’s Deathstroke, and action choreography that holds up very well even on the smaller network’s more limited budget. The CW is awash with high-action superhero shows these days but (with all due respect to Smallville, which was a different kind of superhero show), Arrow was the one that really started the current trend for them.
#3: The Flash
.  .  .
Arrow may have kicked off the current Berlanti-run DC television universe — it’s not called “The Arrowverse” for no reason — but it’s fair to say that in its first season The Flash pretty much perfected it. The first spinoff show from Arrow came along at the perfect point when superhero shows were starting to look a bit too gritty and grim for their own good between Arrow, Gotham and some of the darker periods of Agents of SHIELD. Instead of going that same dark direction, The Flash embraced its comic book roots and the “hope and optimism” that DC Comics executive and writer Geoff Johns loves to talk about. Grant Gustin is an utter joy to watch as Barry Allen; his enthusiasm is utterly infectious and yet he’s able to handle the more serious side of the character as well. The Flash brought metahumans to the forefront of the Arrowverse to great effect, opening up new possibilities for the series while providing a great ensemble cast that included Cisco, Caitlin Snow, Joe and Iris West and the wonderful Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells. Season two was a letdown only because the first season set the bar so high, and the third season is going to tackle the ambitious “Flashpoint” storyline which has most fans very excited. Any show that can make both a psychic gorilla and a shark-man work deserves all the praise it can get, and The Flash has all that and more.

8.  The 100
7.  Arrow
6.  Jane the Virgin
5.  Reaper
4.  Supernatural
3.  The Flash
2.  Nikita
1.  Veronica Mars

Edited by tv echo

The following CW shows come to Netflix in October as following:

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/october-2016-new-netflix-releases/

October 4th

American Horror Story: Hotel (Season 5)

Chevalier (2015)

Dartmoor Killing (2015)

The Flash (Season 2)

The Grinder (Season 1)

October 5th

Arrow (Season 4)

October 6th

iZombie (Season 2)

October 7th

13TH (2016) – Original Movie

Dinotrux (Season 3) – Original Children’s Series

The Ranch (Season 1b) – Original Series

Russell Peters: Almost Famous – Original Stand-up Comedy

The Siege of Jadotville (2016) – Original Movie

Supernatural (Season 11)

October 8th

The Originals (Season 3)

Vampire Diaries (Season 7)

October 13th

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)

Mascots (2016) – Original Movie

• Love 1

Besides Ray's giant head, I like the poster. 

The new guy is a lot smaller on the poster than I expected him to be. I don't think Darvill has that big of a role this season. I haven't heard much about what he's doing and haven't seen any pics of him other than the first 2 episodes. 

Aside from the giant Ray, that's probably the best poster of the lot. I can't believe The Flash ended up with the worst poster. It's like Opposite Day/Week or something. Haha.

Ray's Giant but unrecognizable in some ways. Them having the two POC Flank the big head makes the poster seem more even. I mean we have 6 to 2 white looking characters. And then Sara is smaller than Jax but she's up front.  I think they did a nice job. Plus with red all around Ray, it will be easy to blur him out if I want :p 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Aside from the giant Ray, that's probably the best poster of the lot. I can't believe The Flash ended up with the worst poster. It's like Opposite Day/Week or something. Haha.

Yeah, I was going to say that maybe the poster is meant to represent red shift except when I looked it up three websites gave three different meanings (granted, one of them was a Doctor Who fansite so YMMV). So I think it was just 'his suit is red, right? So let's make it ALL RED.'

I don't know, I like Oliver and his not so little friend; and I don't mean his bow! BOOM.

To be serious, that kind of shot is a clear 'hero shot' - looking up at the hero. Then we have his bow bisecting the frame and in the foreground, and the city as a background and a Star frame. Great composition, me like. Much better  than Barry's weird expression and ocean of RED. LoT - eh. It's ok. Nothing new, though.

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I really dislike Sara's hair like that. Looks like she's missed a few showers. 

Yeah, that's her early season one look.  They moved away from that as the season went on (thankfully - I hated it), but I'm sure this is from last year's photoshoot.

Time Warner CEO admits that the DC superhero films "could do a little better on the creative."

http://www.avclub.com/article/time-warner-ceo-admits-dc-movies-kind-suck-243008

Here's the original Variety reporting:

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/jeff-bewkes-batman-v-superman-suicide-squad-time-warner-1201866932/   (This article also discusses Time Warner's investment in Hulu and its promises that its current and upcoming digital platforms are all going to be awesome.)

The main takeaway from this, I think, is that it reinforces something I've been saying here and on the other DC TV forums: the Arrowverse shows are not getting made in a vacuum. They're getting made by a corporation that has to answer to investors at Goldman Sachs or elsewhere.

• Love 8

DC is still missing the point. It's not only that they need some humor in their movies, the main issue is they need to write better stories and let us get to know their characters. Marvel is dark and gritty on their Netflix shows and people love those because of the story they are telling. 

All DC has done so far is throw a bunch of heroes and villains together with a plot that's almost non-existent. Write for the characters and give them a story we can follow and the movie will be good whether it's fun and light or gritty and dark. 

• Love 13
On 22.09.2016 at 7:48 PM, Delphi said:

BtVS wasn't an eligible choice though, it never aired new episodes on the CW.  Angel did, but that was S5.  Which, ugh.

Angel s5 was awesome. My personal favorite of the whole show. Also, AtS is better than any show on that list, but it never aired on CW anyway.

On 22.09.2016 at 8:23 PM, Sakura12 said:

Besides Ray's giant head, I like the poster. 

The new guy is a lot smaller on the poster than I expected him to be. I don't think Darvill has that big of a role this season. I haven't heard much about what he's doing and haven't seen any pics of him other than the first 2 episodes. 

I wouldn't say posters or promo pics are indicative of storytelling - they are mostly made by marketing, and other factors play into that. Rip isn't that marketable, he isn't a fan favorite, so I wouldn't expect them to focus on him in the promotion. At least in s1 he had to be present to explain how everyone got together, now there's no need for that anymore. That said, it's just me hoping they'll try to develop him as a character rather than a plot device with the requisite dead family angst, because I quite like the actor and the character too.

On another note, I've tried watching Man of Steel (mostly to get to know DC movie universe before Justice League and Wonder Woman), and holy shit it was SO FREAKING BAD. I literally fell asleep during it. Superman had like zero characterization, everything was over-the-top serious and the plot was horribly generic. Amy Adams was cute, I suppose, but everything else was bland as hell.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

CW Boss Mark Pedowitz Talks Turnaround, Digital Deals and Losing ‘Gilmore Girls’ Sequel
Cynthia Littleton  SEPTEMBER 23, 2016 | 10:30AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/spotlight/cw-president-mark-pedowitz-jane-the-virgin-arrow-flash-1201866146/

The CW has had a nice turnaround after hitting a slump a few years ago. What made the difference?
Pedowitz
: We took a hard look at ourselves about four and a half years ago, up and down the line and asked ourselves what did the brand mean to anybody? Who were we trying to serve? We came to the conclusion that we needed to broaden out. We have to become much more [adults] 18-49 and we need to bring men back in. We realized very quickly that we shouldn’t be looking at very young actors, but that our series needed to have protagonists were any where between 26 and 31. So you’re still hitting two different ends of the young adult spectrum.

What made the difference after you set your sights on that change?
Pedowitz:
If you don’t have luck, your strategy doesn’t mean anything. We’ve had great luck. “Arrow” came about and we were able to move “Supernatural” with “Arrow” to make a night. We had a good year in [2013] with “The 100,” “Reign,” and “The Originals.” And then we got incredibly lucky with “The Flash” and “Jane the Virgin.” Those shows made a difference and changed the perception of who we were. Last year we were opportunistic with “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.” Even if the show didn’t do big numbers, it reinforced the perception that [CW] is a different place than it once was.

Do you see “Crazy Ex” and “Jane” as guarding against you becoming strictly the superhero network, with all the DC shows that you have?
Pedowitz:
You can only take so many [DC] shows and at this point we’re at our max. But if a character pops we might look at it differently. … The nice thing about “The Flash” was that it was not a carbon copy of “Arrow.” “Legends of Tomorrow” didn’t live up to its potential last year, but we think with changes this year it will. Getting “Supergirl” [from CBS] helps us in a different form.

Edited by tv echo

Legends of Tomorrow Synopsis Reveals Green Arrow’s Role in S2 Premiere
09.23.2016  by Brandon Staley
http://www.cbr.com/legends-of-tomorrow-synopsis-reveals-green-arrows-role-in-s2-premiere/

The CW network has released a synopsis for the second season premiere of its superhero ensemble show “Legends of Tomorrow.” The synopsis clarifies “Arrow” lead Stephen Amell’s presence in the premiere, while also setting the stage for the second season’s major conflict.
LOST AND FOUND — GUEST STARRING STEPHEN AMELL — After the defeat of the immortal villain Vandal Savage and the exposure of the corrupt Time Masters, a new threat emerges. Dr. Nate Heywood (Nick Zano), an unconventional and charming historian, is thrust into the action. After making a shocking discovery, Nate seeks out Oliver Queen (guest star Stephen Amell) for help in finding the scattered Legends. Once reunited, the Legends continue their new mission to protect the timeline from temporal aberrations – unusual changes to history that spawn potentially catastrophic consequences. Their first stop is 1942 to protect Albert Einstein from being kidnapped before the Nazis destroy New York City with a nuclear bomb. Meanwhile, Ray (Brandon Routh) notices that Sara (Caity Lotz) has a mission of her own, which leads them both to face her nemesis, Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough). Victor Garber, Arthur Darvill, Dominic Purcell and Franz Drameh also star. Dermot Downs directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Phil Klemmer and Greg Berlanti & Chris Fedak.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Agents of SHIELD, Grey's Anatomy, The Flash and more
BY NATALIE ABRAMS  Posted September 23 2016 — 2:15 PM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/23/spoiler-room-agents-shield-greys-anatomy-flash

Can’t wait to find out what Iris is up to in Flashpoint on The Flash. Rey
All I can tell you is that there’s quite a big reveal when it comes to Iris in the premiere — though that doesn’t mean she’s wildly different in the Flashpoint timeline. “She’s a fixed point for Barry Allen, so no matter where we see her, no matter where we find her, she’s still very similar to the Iris that we’ve always known and loved, which is why Barry sees her as the shining star in the sky,” Candice Patton tells me. “He can always find her somewhat the same.” Patton also teases she’s “read some stuff where we’re moving in that direction” of seeing more of Iris’ reporting side this season.
How was Supergirl? — Donna
The season 2 premiere is definitely a fun mix of comedy and action, along with a pretty surprising exchange between Kara and James. I can’t say more, but I can’t tell you that Brenda Strong joins the Supergirl cast in a recurring role — and she makes quite the first impression in the season 2 premiere.