Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: ʻO ka Pili ʻOhana ka ʻOi (Family Comes First)

• Start Topic

When Grover's daughter is kidnapped by an old nemesis, he is forced to help steal $100 million to get her back, on the fourth season finale of "Hawaii Five-0", Friday, May 9.

Original Airdate: May 9, 2014

I know its H50 but bombing a single cell gets you out a supermax you then go on a killing spree like the escapees on that Marshal show Chase a few years ago and then two face is able to fly to Hawaii when with Bin laden dead he has to be high on the 10 most wanted list. But then again mercenaries killed a pre Grover SWAT team at Hawaii's supermax to bust Wo Fat out before.

I have given up on the plot.  I just watch from week to week, usually there is at least one plot thread that is solved in that episode.  That and the nice scenery are enough for me at this point.  The show just has too many cliffhangers.  It's a ratings hit--they shouldn't have to resort to these tricks to get viewers back.

I too, watch for the scenery and in tribute to Burn Notice - the shots are very similar in color and tone.  Love Chi McBride! 

I am flummoxed at how the escaped convict could find the daughter and no one else could. (Or him, actually.) That whole thing felt weak but allowed for the plot move they wanted.

Loved the go cart switch up chase scene!

Ha! Mr. groove and I rented one of those cars a few years ago. We drove up to Hawaii Kai from Waikiki and it was a blast. The seats are horribly uncomfortable and it's quite loud but is it fun. Almost peed my pants from laughing, especially when we figured out we had to push it out of a parking spot because there is no reverse! Clown car indeed. And we just missed seeing them film that scene by two days. We left on Saturday and I believe they filmed it on Monday.

What a lame series finale.  I don't think any viewers like cliffhangers, but that's the point of a cliffhanger - to get you so excited and on the edge of your seat that you can't wait until then next season starts in the fall.  So I was kind of expecting one.  But for this to end simply with Grover joining 5-0?  Completely anti-climactic.

Did anybody remember this hacking punk?  I did once they mentioned who he was, but it's not like he was a major recurring character.  You knew that the exchange wasn't going to happen, because there's no way this kid was going to walk away with $100 million dollars.

I also don't understand how Wo-Fat found the daughter.

Pretty clear that Catherine is gone.  Aloha, Cat.  Did a search on the internet and the rumors seem to be true.  She was really marginalized once Kono came back.  But I don't understand why there's not room for two women on the squad.

Loved the car chase scene!

Grover can we say bright...too bright.  lol.  Glad that Grover's daughter was saved.

Surprised that they didn't do a cliffie but also glad they didn't.  Cliff hangers get dull if they pull them every season.  Liked that they ended on a upbeat mood.

I do hope we get more Danny & Steve moments next season.  Was surprised that we had the final tonight, guess that shows how much I've been paying attention this season.  I thought we had a few more eps to go.   lol.

I'm glad Steve's g.f. is gone; she was fine as an occasional source of information or military contact, but as a member of the 5-0 team, she didn't really add anything.  We need more of Chin and Kono, not less!

I liked having Grover as the SWAT leader instead of as another 5-0 member.  As head of SWAT, he brought some perspective and firepower that the rest of the team needed.  Now, he'll just be "one of the guys".

The teenager sociopath was a good villain, both times he was on the show;  I was surprised and a little disappointed to see him get killed in such an off-hand manner.  However, I DID enjoy his look of shock when Wo-Fat pulled out his gun and shot him--probably the same look of shock that the old lady had when he murdered her and took over her house.  

That was a strange directing/writing choice, though.  We see Samantha still in the cage and Ian (terrorist punk) heading out, then the next thing we see is them getting a call from Samantha saying she's safe, at the nearest precinct.  Then in flashback, we see how it went down.

I think it would have been much more powerful to see Ian leaving her, opening the front door, and getting blown away by Wo Fat.  Shocking, impactful.  Instead, we get "Oh, by the way, he's dead."  They completely neutered what should have been a climactic scene.

But I don't understand why there's not room for two women on the squad.

Same reason a cop's daughter did nothing but cower when kidnapped -- there's not room for two women on the squad.  

Seriously, with the exception of Kono, this show is terrible in how they handle the female cast.

Well ofcourse Wo fat breaks out of Super Max. Solitary confinement. Guess he was fed up with Ian taking up all of 5-0s time. Maybe there is a villain registry, where others know where you are?? "Well I see so and so is robbing the bank on the corner of Sandy Beach and Pebble Lane today so we better stay out of that part of town." That was quite a look on his face when Wo Fat was at the door. I hated but liked Ian. That talk where he thinks he is better then you.

Steve and Danny doing the 3 wheeled cart pursuit of a Mustang was a little odd. Danny saying he is going to die in the clown car, was funny. Duke took Henry Dunbar into custody.

Cyber snook Ian Wright grabbed Samantha Grover in the library. Probably makes all parents cringe a little.

I figured when Agent Novak(The Sentinel,Desperate Housewives)came to help that he was going to be bad. The Head Robber had also been on Desperate Housewives.

Did Catherine actually say she was gone? Or did she just go to Afghanistan and hasn't come back yet? Even if her character is written out of the show. She could be like Doris/ Joe White,talked about but not in Hawaii.

I see why Joe White has been mentioned but hasn't come back, since he has a new show.

Well Grover being retired from the force for all he did to get his daughter back was kind of harsh. But be asked to join 5-0 must be to take Catherine's place. He had gotten away from being the one that pulled 5-0 back in for all it did outside the lines. But will Steve now have his Danny conscience on one side and his Grover conscience on the other? Maybe someday to Duke can join the force.

Not clear why WoFat would have wanted to help Samantha. Did I miss something?

The only thing that I can figure is that with his burns he has become like Two-Face of Batman fame. I know it seems too obvious but that has never stopped 5-0's producers before

I think Wo Fat released Samantha because he wanted her to be his messenger, and mess with Steve's head.  Or maybe he's got a tiny kernel of compassion.  Or maybe he needed the dog kennel for some other part of his nefarious plan.

(edited)

Did anyone else think this should have been a double episode (possibly with the premiere of next season)? It seemed so stuffed with plot that was ridiculously rushed. If I'd written it, the episode would have concentrated on freeing Wo Fat (and yes - you blew your way out of your cell and that's it!? Some Supermax prison!).and the 5-0 gang can't understand how he seems to know their every move (of course why 5-0 would be involved in a jailbreak in Colorado in the real world, but I can accept the narrative convenience) They realise they have a mole and our last scene of Part 1 is the reveal of the "traitor" - Part 2 then starts with the whole "Rescue the daughter" plot and ends with them storming the compound (obviously, Wo Fat still gets away, because your uber-villain does).

Guessed the Marshall(?) was crooked because of the guy playing him just has one of those "villain" faces (I can't remember where I've seen him before, but I know he was a villain there too). And nobody stole the money!

ETA I loved that Grover was fired for doing the Cyberterrorist's bidding, because that was a rare piece of realism - his actions were understandable, but you'd certainly get fired for acting as he did. I'd've preferred he'd remained unemployed for a while (especially as it was the Finale - he could have been unemployed for the x weeks between Seasons until Steve decides to offer him a job in next Season's premiere).

Edited by John Potts