Type keyword(s) to search

Here And Now - General Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Rahul said:

Considering that the recap made it a point to remind us that imposter Henry told Ramon "Whatever is happening to you, don't come at it from fear," my theory is that Ramon's former boyfriend is an earthly manifestation of the fiery djinn we see in his video game. He has been guiding Ramon and having him literally chase him to Mt. Hood, for reasons unknown.

There was a brief discussion about djinn in a previous episode at the Chokrani household about their purpose in guiding or intervening with humankind. 

Rahul, that's a really compelling theory! 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are similarities with The Leftovers and it's probably not a coincidence.

Both shows feature anguished characters, metaphysical/spiritual (though of a fundamentalist nature) overtones and imagery, confrontational public (no GR in Here and Now but there are several instances of strangers getting in other people's faces)

I would hate to think Ball and the other creators felt they had to use similar gimmicks to get the show on HBO and get noticed.

For some stretches, they made it a conventional drama, though they finish with what can only be seen as an otherworldly occurrence.  The man on fire escapes the computer and then communicates to Ramon to be at the certain place, as if to lead him towards the eruption.  But they won't go full-on genre like a fantasy magic knockoff of LoTR, just as The Leftovers didn't either -- Leftovers tried to have it both ways, with events that at first seemed to be other-worldly but then had some plausible real-world explanation.

• Love 1

So that happened. I'll say it got sort of interesting in the last few minutes but that's about as much credit as I care to give it.  

Honestly, my take-away is that the men in white coats should come and take both Ramon and Farid and put them in a nice room with nice padded walls and put them in nice jackets that'll make 'em all snug and secure. It just seems like Farid's story devolved and became weirder and less compelling as the season progressed, to the point where he was full-on loony tunes. By the time he was flogging himself I was done with him. Just - take him away. Really.

Somehow I think Ashely is the one who annoys me the most. Somebody explain to me why I should find her inner turmoil about whether or not to accept a 4 to 5 million dollar offer the least bit compelling, let alone relatable. Oh, poor you, Ashley! You have such struggles! What will you do? 

Ten episodes, and I have no idea what this show is trying to say, or what it is trying to accomplish. It's just sort of all over the place.

• Love 9

HBO hasn't announced one way or another. Given the star power in front of the camera I'd be surprised if it didn't get a second season. Divorced wasn't a critical or commercial success either but got a renewal mostly because of its star.

I admit I did stick with this series for all the episodes.  However, I ended up hate watching and sticking around only because I hoped all the loose ends would somehow end up tied together.  Doesn't matter to me if there's another season or not, I'm done.  

While watching, I couldn't help but think that Holly Hunter and Tim Robbins need to give some serious thought to where their careers are going and how they ended up in such awful roles on such a terrible program.  

• Love 2

While I enjoyed some of the season I have no clue what this show is about.  I like Ramon except when he is seeing things.

I agree with others that I can’t believe no one called the police after the 2 kids were beat up.

The only other character I like is Greg.  He seems to be the only normal one.  The rest all seem so random.

I watch this show so sporadically that I can’t keep up with all the names, but Navid’s friend who got beat up with him and IMO looks about 28-years-old...when she explained that no condom was needed because he was a virgin, did anyone else think but you’re not, and you didn’t use a condom before when you got an STD, and a negative HIV test I am quite sure needs to be taken again in six months. She is actually quite high risk for that since her partner is a receiver of anal sex and evidently not religious about condom use, and who sleeps with transients (whether he knew at the time or not).

I don’t think they’ll do an AIDS plot (though IMO they should), but I thought she was so deeply selfish in that moment.

• Love 2
On 4/20/2018 at 4:34 PM, iMonrey said:

HBO hasn't announced one way or another. Given the star power in front of the camera I'd be surprised if it didn't get a second season. Divorced wasn't a critical or commercial success either but got a renewal mostly because of its star.

They have. Show's over.

9 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

I watch this show so sporadically that I can’t keep up with all the names, but Navid’s friend who got beat up with him and IMO looks about 28-years-old...when she explained that no condom was needed because he was a virgin, did anyone else think but you’re not, and you didn’t use a condom before when you got an STD, and a negative HIV test I am quite sure needs to be taken again in six months. She is actually quite high risk for that since her partner is a receiver of anal sex and evidently not religious about condom use, and who sleeps with transients (whether he knew at the time or not).

I don’t think they’ll do an AIDS plot (though IMO they should), but I thought she was so deeply selfish in that moment.

Navid's friend is Kristin. Previous to having sex with Navid, the only person she had slept with was Randy, the male model (in the treehouse during Greg's birthday party). Navid was a virgin, so he was not a receiver of anal sex or sleeping with transients. Kristin's brother Ramon is the one who slept with Henry the homeless barista.

I'm disappointed.  I was half hate-watching--Stop opening your eyes so wide!  Comb your damn hair!--but I was definitely watching, and would have watched more.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When I was in a committed monogamous relationship with my first boyfriend (we were both virgins), I still used two forms of birth control for the 2+ years that we were together.

This cracks me up, because I was exactly the same--two virgins, two years, TWO forms of birth  control at all times.  High five, my anxious/responsible sister from way back when.

I learned about the cancellation just as I was starting this last episode, which cast everything into a different light:  your story ends here and your story ends there.

I wonder if Jerrika Hinton was disappointed to have her story veer off from the very interesting conflict of her increasing alienation from her white husband/parents to the totally unsympathetic angst of five million dollars?

I admit I enjoyed Kristin's distress that it didn't matter HOW much she wanted Navid to stay, she wasn't getting it.  Ha, never a big Kristin fan.  Loved Navid, though; I would've wanted more of him in Season Two World.

I liked the basic "fucked-up family" stories more than the mystical plotlines, but Ike would have made a good addition--Ted Levine's always solid.  And the mystery of Henry was tantalizing. 

Ah well.

A for effort, Alan Ball.  When your next project is ready, I'm in.

12 hours ago, candall said:

This cracks me up, because I was exactly the same--two virgins, two years, TWO forms of birth  control at all times.  High five, my anxious/responsible sister from way back when.

Ha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! But to the credit of the paranoid two birth control method, we never had a pregnancy scare. I don't know if teens in general are more lax in attitude about that kind of thing now or if it's just Kristen who is completely unconcerned. You'd think after getting an STD, she'd be all for using condoms.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 1:01 AM, ArmoPrincess said:

Ensemble cast was also exceptional- why was this not picked up?

Because a guy threw a little girl out of a treehouse because he imagined it to be on fire, and he's not on 24/7 watch after that?  Because a psychiatrist and his patient both saw visions of the same women gouging her face, and neither of them was getting proper help?  Because Ramon's burning man vision could be seen by others in his video game in some AI kind of way, but then led him to an odyssey to a volcano?

Just saying, this show was three in one, and none of them worked when put together.  I liked the dysfunctional family drama and would have enjoyed an exploration of that, particularly the adopted siblings and how they became who they are.  I was intrigued by psychiatrist and Ramon's connected visions, and just about believed they were maybe related and shared some past in some way.  I could have liked a supernatural show focused on the Ramon's visions.  All together, this show was a mess, unpleasant to watch in many ways, and didn't know what it wanted to be.  Pick a lane and go somewhere with it!

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2

Six feet Under was so well written, the characters engaging so you expected this Alan Ball project to be as good.

Mr. Ball is not taking too kindly to the criticism of this show by saying he doesn't care if people like it or not.

Which means he's pissed audiences aren't fawning all over this show...

He has written/created a family of unlikable characters....

Maybe some other network like hulu will pick it up...