Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Eye of the Storm

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Can someone answer this for me? I don't remember if this was ever answered in the books. Is Joe Abernathy somehow related to Geillis?

As far as I know, he's not. It's not specifically stated, but I believe Joe's ancestor in the book is an escaped slave named Ismael who was owned by Gellis for a while. He's also the leader of the maroons who were inciting the slave revolt on Jamaica.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

Can someone answer this for me? I don't remember if this was ever answered in the books. Is Joe Abernathy somehow related to Geillis?

I really enjoyed this episode. Loved the hug between Jamie, Claire and Young Ian. And Young Ian yelling at Geilis to shut her blathering mouth.

I think it's alluded to that Joe's ancestors were Geillis' slaves, and therefore took the last name Abernathy.  Not sure that's ever "proven," but there are quite a few mentions.  I think in the book, one of the slaves' names is Ishmael, and then Joe's son takes the name Ishmael?  Something like that.

ETA:  Sorry, posted before I saw DittyDotDot's answer above.  Same thoughts. :-)  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Did I understand correctly that the Artemis landed along that same shore as Jamie and Claire?

Yes.  At first Jamie & Claire were grief-stricken at the possibility that they were the only ones that survived the storm but then the man on the beach said that the Artemis had been blown aground a few miles down the beach and that there were survivors on board.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Did I understand correctly that the Artemis landed along that same shore as Jamie and Claire?

Yes, the people on the beach said it landed a few miles up the coast.

• Love 1

^^^Thank you. I've never read the books so I wanted to be sure I understood that correctly. For some reason I imagined that after the storm the boat would've just resumed their course and left Jamie and Claire behind. Never occurred to me it would've run ashore in America.

1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

^^^Thank you. I've never read the books so I wanted to be sure I understood that correctly. For some reason I imagined that after the storm the boat would've just resumed their course and left Jamie and Claire behind. Never occurred to me it would've run ashore in America.

I think the man said the boat ran aground, "or what was left of it."  So I took that to mean that it was severely damaged.

I just thought of one more pet peeve with this episode that I don't think anyone mentioned...

How have they been sailing for four days, without Mr. Willoughby, and Jamie is not so seasick that he appears to be on death's door?  I wish that they had shown Claire learning acupuncture, and maybe Mr. Willoughby giving her his needles as a gift or something.  Otherwise, it's a miracle! Jamie is cured!  Minor plot hole...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I just thought of one more pet peeve with this episode that I don't think anyone mentioned...

How have they been sailing for four days, without Mr. Willoughby, and Jamie is not so seasick that he appears to be on death's door?  I wish that they had shown Claire learning acupuncture, and maybe Mr. Willoughby giving her his needles as a gift or something.  Otherwise, it's a miracle! Jamie is cured!  Minor plot hole...

If memory serves, (in the book), Mr. Willoughby teaches Claire how to do it and she then has hew own set of needles to do it.

In case anyone is interested, this blog that I like to read has been recapping the entire 3rd season.  I find it very funny to read.  Here is a link to the last episode: https://www.gofugyourself.com/outlander-recap-the-ballad-of-the-finale-12-2017

I am not in any way affiliated with this website, nor do I receive any royalties whatsoever.

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I figured since Claire was aware that Yi Tien Cho was using acupuncture when she saw all the needles sticking out of Jamie's face earlier this season, that she was familiar with it, and knew how to do it (because, why not?!) so she took care of that. And Show probably didn't think we needed to know.

1 hour ago, AEMom said:

If memory serves, (in the book), Mr. Willoughby teaches Claire how to do it and she then has hew own set of needles to do it.

Right, that's how the book plays out.  But where did she get the needles?  In the show, that could have easily been resolved by Mr. Willoughby giving her his, and he could go get new ones on Martinique.  

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I figured since Claire was aware that Yi Tien Cho was using acupuncture when she saw all the needles sticking out of Jamie's face earlier this season, that she was familiar with it, and knew how to do it (because, why not?!) so she took care of that. And Show probably didn't think we needed to know.

Well, I know what acupuncture looks like too, but that doesn't mean I know how to do it, or have my own needles.

Like I said, just a minor pet peeve. :-)  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, I know what acupuncture looks like too, but that doesn't mean I know how to do it, or have my own needles.

Like I said, just a minor pet peeve. :-)  

Come on, now. It's CLAIRE. That was one of my peeves regarding the character in the buiks. She seemed to know how to do every single medical procedure. That's why this just went over my head and I didn't question it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Come on, now. It's CLAIRE. That was one of my peeves regarding the character in the buiks. She seemed to know how to do every single medical procedure. That's why this just went over my head and I didn't question it.

LOL, good point.  (But I thought in the books that there was a throw-away line about how Willoughby taught her.  Maybe I made that up.)

1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

LOL, good point.  (But I thought in the books that there was a throw-away line about how Willoughby taught her.  Maybe I made that up.)

No, he did. But since the show changed that to her knowing what acupuncture was, I just assumed she took over.  Or fanwanking, maybe he showed her off screen when we first saw that acupuncture helped Jamie. Before she left to go on the typhoid ship.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
5 hours ago, AEMom said:

In case anyone is interested, this blog that I like to read has been recapping the entire 3rd season.  I find it very funny to read.  Here is a link to the last episode: https://www.gofugyourself.com/outlander-recap-the-ballad-of-the-finale-12-2017

I am not in any way affiliated with this website, nor do I receive any royalties whatsoever.

THe Fug Girls are awesome and those recaps are hilarious.  My only nitpick is that the recapper doesn't always pay very close attention and gets some details wrong but that's not a big deal in a case like this.   The recap of episode 3.12 was especially hilarious.

As for the acupuncture, I would swear that after a few weeks Jamie no longer needed it, that his system had adapted to being out at sea.  I could be misremembering, though.  God knows it's happened before. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jqdeco said:

AEmom, the gofugyourself recap was hysterical. Thank you for that. 

If you enjoyed it, I encourage you to check out the others in their archive.  They are all equally hysterically excellent. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AEMom said:

I love this recapper too!!  one of the funniest!! Another funny one is a New Zealand based site called The Spinoff....

Edited by Cloudberryjam
On 12/13/2017 at 7:42 PM, toolazy said:

THe Fug Girls are awesome and those recaps are hilarious.  My only nitpick is that the recapper doesn't always pay very close attention and gets some details wrong but that's not a big deal in a case like this.   The recap of episode 3.12 was especially hilarious.

As for the acupuncture, I would swear that after a few weeks Jamie no longer needed it, that his system had adapted to being out at sea.  I could be misremembering, though.  God knows it's happened before. 

I was going to suggest something along these lines. Acupuncture not only takes care of acute symptoms, it often heals as well. Jamie might have been cured of sea sickness altogether. I have a vague memory exactly that might have been mentioned in the books. Or it might be something I’m making up. lol

Edited by ferjy
On 12/13/2017 at 2:02 PM, AEMom said:

That was good. “Let’s shoot her back to the sixties.” lol And Jamie’s crotch sonar (“hope it’s a compass too”). Funny stuff.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 10:53 AM, WatchrTina said:

I actually thought the episode was going to end when the camera pulled back from the eye of the hurricane.  I would have had to RIOT if they did that.  Okay, off to watch again.

I thought it had several points at which they teased you it would end with separation; Claire not being on the deck, Claire not doing anything on the log, the shot going up the hurricane, and the shot of Jamie alone on the beach.  At least they were alive and well at the end.  You'd think they could have skipped the storm for the start of another season.  No way to end happy; another disaster must occur right away!

On 12/10/2017 at 12:32 PM, toolazy said:

At the ceremony site, when they showed Claire's face framed by the foliage as she watched the dancers, I thought "ooh, like the druids!" and lo and behold, they showed the druids!  I loved that!  And I agree that it shows how cultures are often more similar than they are different.  

It was good to intersperse the druids.  

Amazing there is another time travel portal.  And it looked like Craig na dun on top of it - maybe that's a wormhole on earth where they are both there.  

You had to get to 3 books to get a payoff with the Geillis thing.  The conversation between Claire and Geillis was a good wrap up of loose ends.  

Claire being pulled mentally towards the pool was annoying, but I guess it is to show her devoted motherhood that she at least thought about going back to Brianna.  

It was funny to read on another thread where people were trying to work out how QE2 might be a Scot.  LOL.  So Claire did change history - the prophecy is true, but Claire killed Geillis before she could get to Brianna.  And Brianna is not left in danger as there is not likely to be anyone else crazy enough to follow through.  It had also seemed possible they would end it with Geillis out there and Brianna exposed to that danger, and Jamie and Claire having to figure out how to handle it.