Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Gender Friender

They finally remembered Jasper! And the bomb.

Everyone's crazy. Well, Tandy was already nuts, but everyone else is slowly getting up to his level. I just wish Tandy would learn to close his mouth.

Appreciated Jasper wearing the He-Man costume.

The wedding & reception was honestly touching for me.

Next time: Shit actually goes down.

• Love 1

Erica Dundee -- nice. :D I wonder how long the writers were sitting on that one, though I can see why she would've been so loath to tell Tandy for the longest time (what with all his 'Crocodile Dundee' jokes). Also, as with Todd Rodriguez, it took another wedding to find out another character's full name!

Gail's marital history -- so her second husband would've been the father of her son (who died some time before "the virus," as mentioned in 3x6), and I'm guessing hubby #3 would've been the one with whom she owned a restaurant, as mentioned in 1x9)...

Callbacks -- good that the writers remembered how Gail and Erica had a relationship (including sex) long before they encountered the Tandy Crew; also, the fact that Todd was an orphan (1x6), though here it was in the context of having missed out on father-son stuff with his own dad and thus not quite knowing how to bond with Jasper. (He's clearly been having an easier time of it with the baby girls, but then he mostly gets to do the fun stuff while their mothers tend to handle the responsibilities.)

Speaking of Jasper, his little man-cave looked fun; I'm guessing maybe he was busy putting it together while everyone else was either focusing on the births of Carol's babies or tending to Erica's baby last week...

Nice to see Tandy finally actually play that guitar, rather just banging away on it like a percussion instrument... But yeah, I agree, he does tend to run off at the mouth a bit too much -- I wanted to see Gail to smack him at the wedding! (Also, I thought some of the language in this episode pushed the envelope more than usual: "VAGINA DOODLE DOO!", Tandy's line about being like a Bill Clinton "between two legendary Bushes" and all the lesbian-sex references in his wedding speech, etc.)

Overall, not a bad job for KSchaal's directorial debut. :) The next new one (airing Dec. 3) is supposed to be the mid-season finale.

Edited by GRChereck
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

They finally remembered Jasper! And the bomb.

Everyone's crazy. Well, Tandy was already nuts, but everyone else is slowly getting up to his level. I just wish Tandy would learn to close his mouth.

Appreciated Jasper wearing the He-Man costume.

The wedding & reception was honestly touching for me.

Next time: Shit actually goes down.

Except that nothing happened with the bomb.  Again.
Tandy will be a long time solving that cube so there really is no danger, but I still doubt it's the trigger -- there's no room for the a wireless transmitter inside a Rubik's cube.  Plus the battery is probably already dead.

I thought the wedding was rather dumb -- it really doesn't matter with so few people on the planet.
Carol's petty jealousy about Gail was predictable -- and if Tandy wasn't so busy converting all the manatees to womantees he could have helped Carol out more.

I don't remember Erica and Gail being quite so open about their committed relationship before, or even recently -- Gail was months getting over Gordon and Erica slept with Phil.

• Love 1

God I wanted to strangle Tandy and Carol this episode. I wish when he started singing the song they didn't ask him to sing, Erica or Gail made him stop and sing the song they wanted instead of letting him get away with his ~wacky~ antic. And god, Carol -Erica should have pointed out that despite the fact that Carol badgered and guilted Gail into being her "mom" Erica's known her longer, and if Carol needed help with her babies then she should make Tandy help instead of letting him do stupid pointless crap instead. 

• Love 3

Tandy is extremely annoying, but it's also ridiculous that no one said to him directly: change these diapers, be useful, be a parent and not just a (terrible) comedian). Melissa suggesting there was more than talk to being a feminist was not enough. Tandy and Carol deserve each other; they're both juvenile and annoying. I was really annoyed by her tantrumming toward Gail. It's just not funny to me.

I liked Todd and Jaspar.

There is so much mileage they could get out of the situation they're in, but the show seems to want to just focus on the kind of BS that could take place in any setting. And really-- it never occurred to Tandy to actually do anything hands on with the babies? The show really thinks this is cute and funny? It's the kind of humor that would make him a jerk in the 1950s. Why is it supposed to be funny now?

• Love 2

Have we ever heard Jasper talk before? I was thinking just this episode I couldn't remember hearing him speak.

I don't remember Erica and Gail being quite so open about their committed relationship before, or even recently -- Gail was months getting over Gordon and Erica slept with Phil.

I don't really get this either. I'm assuming we're meant to see them as bisexual or fluid or whatever but it seems odd they both paired off with men in earlier seasons. And Gail was really, really hung up on Gordon.  

Carol's nonsense about Gail being her "mom" is super annoying, too.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Have we ever heard Jasper talk before? I was thinking just this episode I couldn't remember hearing him speak.

I don't really get this either. I'm assuming we're meant to see them as bisexual or fluid or whatever but it seems odd they both paired off with men in earlier seasons. And Gail was really, really hung up on Gordon.  

Carol's nonsense about Gail being her "mom" is super annoying, too.

I agree.  Are they saying that even if extremely desirable males came along, they wouldn't consider them as potential partners?  Because they sure didn't feel that way last time.  Maybe having Dawn has made them more of a family.

We have heard Jasper speak briefly, but I can't give you an example.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, cpcathy said:

Count me in as also not believing the Gail-Erica relationship. Gail also slept with Todd. It seems like a convenient plot to have Gail and Erica be married.

Is it any more unbelievable than Melissa and Todd, though?  The choices are extremely limited!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GRChereck said:

Erica Dundee -- nice. :D I wonder how long the writers were sitting on that one, though I can see why she would've been so loath to tell Tandy for the longest time (what with all his 'Crocodile Dundee' jokes). Also, as with Todd Rodriguez, it took another wedding to find out another character's full name!

But isn't it a fake name? I swear she told Mike that she wasn't even Australian. Does Gail know the truth?

So no one plays/spends time with Jasper.  That's pretty awful, even for these people.  What's even worse, is that no one apparently is even trying to educate the kid.  Assuming the adults live long enough to get to old age, Jasper is the one (and now the 3 baby girls) to be taking care of them.  I'd be making sure he had the basic smarts, if not more, to take on that job when the time comes.  Yes, I know, it's a sitcom, filled with idiots.  But you'd think at least Gail would want someone besides her to have some basic medical knowledge.

Why do these people still let Tandy officiate events?  They know he's going to say stupid things.  Out of any of them, I would have chosen Melissa to officiate.  (Again, yes, I know it's a sitcom, filled with idiots...)

Also, Melissa looked very nice this episode - hair, makeup, the whole bit.   It looked a little out of place. 

36 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

But isn't it a fake name? I swear she told Mike that she wasn't even Australian. Does Gail know the truth?

I think you have it switched around -- she is Australian, but she faked being American to get hired by the US State Department:

(from Forever Dreaming's transcript for "Smart and Stupid," 2x17)

MIKE: So where are you from in Australia?

ERICA: All over... I've actually, um, I've been to Adelaide.  

MIKE: I actually spent a bit of time in Adelaide.

ERICA: Oh, well, then, yeah, you know.

MIKE: Wh-What were you doing there?

ERICA: Okay, um... (chuckles) I should say that I did a bit of time in Adelaide. I was in jail.

MIKE: Oh. Wow.

ERICA: I somehow got arrested, uh, for leaving a bank with some money that wasn't mine.

MIKE: Uh-huh.

ERICA: And then a man in a uniform found a gun on me that turned out to be mine.

MIKE: So you're talking about armed robbery.

ERICA: Oh, more like an armed misunderstanding.

MIKE: And how did that go over in court?

ERICA: Well, as I said, I did a bit of time in Adelaide. (laughs) ...

MIKE: So, well, then how'd you end up, you know, here in the States?

ERICA: Oh, I got a job at the State Department.

MIKE: They hired you with a criminal record?

ERICA: They didn't hire me. (American accent): They hired Amanda Williams from Cleveland, Ohio. Majored in political science at the Ohio State University. Go Pi Phi! Go! Whoo!

MIKE: That's amaz... you know, you're like the most interesting person alive.

ERICA: Nah.

MIKE: Yeah, does everybody else know about this?

ERICA: Hell no.

MIKE: What are you talk... why not?

ERICA: They've never asked me. It's like they just latched onto the Australia thing and stopped right there.

:)

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Is it any more unbelievable than Melissa and Todd, though?  The choices are extremely limited!

See, I thought that the only thing Todd had going for him was that he was male and Gail could, well, take advantage of that!

I suppose the thing that bothers me about Gail and Erica is that it perpetuates this television trope that women turn to each other when there isn't a man around. It probably shouldn't bother me but it does. It's insulting to suggests lesbians are only lesbians because they can't get a man.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was wondering the same thing. I don't remember the ep where he said something. Seems if he did, it would have been to Tandy who would have reacted with extreme glee.

3 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

What is that wedding cake made of?

Raisin balls.

I liked the ep. It wasn't out and out hilarious, but I still liked it. It was good to see Todd bond with Jasper. I love how badly Jasper tied his tie, but at least he tried. The back-shaving was icky, but ya gotta go with what you've got. I thought it was cute that Todd felt the need to change his shirt before he asked Jasper if he wanted to hang out.

I liked Carol's breast-feeding blanket, Out to Latch.

I'm getting a kick out of the show teasing out the bomb punchline.

Carol: Well, for what are you waiting?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I don't remember the ep where he said something. Seems if he did, it would have been to Tandy who would have reacted with extreme glee.

Yup, it was in "The Big Day" (3x16), after the six-month time-jump. :)

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I suppose the thing that bothers me about Gail and Erica is that it perpetuates this television trope that women turn to each other when there isn't a man around. It probably shouldn't bother me but it does. It's insulting to suggests lesbians are only lesbians because they can't get a man.

I think that was their relationship when they were the only two people around.  I think this go round was more considered than that.  In fact, they tried to make sure that the wedding wasn't obligation for Gail and that she wanted to do it. 

• Love 1

I've baked things using flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut oil, and other things that they can probably get. You don't need eggs or milk to make a cake if you know how. It's crazy they aren't gardening though. They could have fresh fruit and vegetables and we never see that at all. It's a wonder they don't all have scurvy by now with what we see them eating.

31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I've baked things using flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut oil, and other things that they can probably get. You don't need eggs or milk to make a cake if you know how. It's crazy they aren't gardening though. They could have fresh fruit and vegetables and we never see that at all. It's a wonder they don't all have scurvy by now with what we see them eating.

No milk or butter?

3 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

No milk or butter?

You can substitute oil for butter, and milk alternatives -like almond milk, for milk. Might not be as tasty/rich as using milk/better -still 1000 times better then raisin balls. 

They're kinda lazy as a group, and without much common sense so I guess they figure raisin balls are easier. 

Edited by jamfly

Found this--

Crazy Cake Recipe

3 Cups flour (all-purpose)
6 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
2 Cup sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp.  salt
2 tsp. white vinegar
2 tsp.  pure vanilla extract
10 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Cup water

• Love 2

Yep, there are entire cookbooks that are dairy free, egg-free, etc. For vegans, or people with allergies. If these people haven't checked any of the abandoned libraries for recipes by now, they kind of deserve to suffer through raisin balls for the rest of their lives.

• Love 1

The one thing that bothered me about this episode was all the hoopla over the fact that it was a gay wedding. Society is already pretty accepting of this sort of thing, and this is supposed to take place, what, 14 years in the future? I would hope it wouldn't be a big deal by then.

On 11/20/2017 at 6:12 PM, peeayebee said:

I liked Carol's breast-feeding blanket, Out to Latch.

Carol: Well, for what are you waiting?

I love the way they have these little callbacks and character quirks. Carol's awkward phrasing to avoid a preposition ad the end of the sentence cracks me up every time. The Out to Latch blanket was amazing. 

On 11/20/2017 at 2:32 PM, chaifan said:

Why do these people still let Tandy officiate events?  They know he's going to say stupid things.  Out of any of them, I would have chosen Melissa to officiate.  (Again, yes, I know it's a sitcom, filled with idiots...)

I suspect they have all just given up on fighting it. If they don't let him officiate, he is still going to find a way to insert himself into the mix and say or do something inappropriate (a song, a toast, pouting in the corner because they wouldn't let him participate). I also think they have all just gotten used to him. They just roll their eyes and move on. He clearly cares about everyone and just doesn't know how to interact in a way that isn't awkward and a bit obnoxious. 

On 11/20/2017 at 8:59 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think that was their relationship when they were the only two people around.  I think this go round was more considered than that.  In fact, they tried to make sure that the wedding wasn't obligation for Gail and that she wanted to do it. 

I agree. I got the feeling that initially they were together because they didn't have any other options. They eventually found their way back to each other because they actually do care for one another and find the relationship fulfilling. If another man were to come along, there might be some pressure on Erica to try to conceive again, given the low population. However, I think the wedding showed where their hearts are. They are going to be a family and raise their daughter. 

I thought the episode was a little weaker than some of the other ones this season. At the same time, I did find a lot of stuff pretty funny, so I can't really put my finger on what it was that made it less enjoyable as a whole. I think it was that the Tandy thing felt a little forced. Some of the things he came up with were pretty funny, but the provocation for it didn't really feel sufficient for the reaction (then again, when can you not say that about Tandy).

For a second, I thought Erica said her last name was Tandy, which I actually think would have been even funnier. 

• Love 2