Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Detect, Deceive, Destroy / S4 E10: Endgame

Detect, Deceive, Destroy: The crew of Nathan James faces a threat that will test the limits of their Naval tactics and strategies.

Endgame:  Chandler confronts his enemy — and his personal demons — in a final showdown, with the fate of humanity on the line.

Detect, Deceive, Destroy: The crew of Nathan James faces a threat that will test the limits of their Naval tactics and strategies.

For this new threat, my money is on either the Greek Navy also has an aircraft carrier commanded by Admiral Lucia .... or .... ghosts.

• Love 1

This is one shitty show, and gets shittier with every airing.

Just watched two episodes and spent the entire time hoping the cow-faced bitch on duty with the ring in her nose catches two in the head.

What a strange end to a strange, unsatisfying season...definitely the weakest of the seasons so far.  By the end Chandler's face was so puffy I was worried about him...I hope the actor is doing OK.

Why did the writers expect the viewers to sympathize with the British spy and Peter Weller? Those guys were responsible for many deaths on the Nathan James.  Weird.  Not sure why the drop in quality; but they better get back on track next year.

• Love 6

So much action, not much else really. Only took them 10 episodes to explain how the red rust spread. 

I was expecting that if Sasha and Lucia were ever to face-off, it would be a battle royale of the perfect hairstyles. Shooting Lucia in the back was unsatisfying but I guess Sasha had to take her out because Tom's life was on the line. 

Danny Green finally goes on a mission where he doesn't have to be Sasha's number 2 and then he gets shot within the first 10 minutes. At least Kara Green got a bit more action this time. Best part for me was seeing guys like Gator and Nishioka getting out of the ship. I guess I'm just a little more invested in these characters than the rest of Vulture Team. I'm sure the Wolf and Kandie romance is supposed to be cute and funny but it's just cheesy especially with the flower thing. Burk and Ravit were amusing, this Wolf and Kandie not so much.

I'm really hoping that next season will be an improvement over S4. Judging from the preview, the world will never run out of people with vendettas against Chandler. Hopefully S5 delivers. 

• Love 6

I seriously couldn't stop laughing when they actually played emotional dramatic music for Giorgio's death.  Yes, fucking Giorgio of all people is somehow given a death scene that is usually reserved for actually heroes on other shows.  Once again, oh, The Last Ship!

So, a few explosions and shootouts later, everything works out.  Sure, Miller and Green do get taken out of commission, but I'm sure they'll be up and about in no time (Jeter already seems to be walking off that punctured lung.  Rios is a miracle worker!)  But Velleck, his kids, and pretty the entire Greek army get taken, and the seeds are back with the Nathan James!  And even put back in the same case that easily was broken into last time!  Classic The Last Ship!

I will miss Peter Weller though, because he his all time campy best in this one.  The way he would randomly enunciate certain words randomly in his sentences was slaying me.  Never change, Robocop!

Hey, Granderson showed up for a second!

Honestly, on this show, the trio of Wolf, Green, and Kandie could probably dispatch three war ships by themselves if they wanted to.

Oh, look: the show is still trying to make Chandler and Sasha happen.  You know, when she isn't moping about Fletcher, the guy who was responsible for the seeds getting stolen in the first place.  Oh, Sasha!

Kidding side, Gator is apparently the hero Nathan James never knew they needed!!

Well, I was entertained at least, but this definitely was a pretty dumb season in what is admittedly a pretty silly show.  And judging from next season's previews, the new enemy is going to be a evil hacker and a South American dictator?  It really feels like they are running out of steam here.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, look: the show is still trying to make Chandler and Sasha happen.

I know I was hoping she'd not make it.  I still don't know what her purpose is other than be a makeup model.

• Love 5

Man, at least we had Peter Weller this season, man.

Otherwise? This season was pretty much a mess. And the promo for next season doesn't give me much hope. It looks like Slattery loses command of the Nathan James again and I can't wait to see Sasha demonstrate her polyglot language skills yet again.

18 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Man, at least we had Peter Weller this season, man.

Otherwise? This season was pretty much a mess. And the promo for next season doesn't give me much hope. It looks like Slattery loses command of the Nathan James again and I can't wait to see Sasha demonstrate her polyglot language skills yet again.

Loses command? Take a look at that trailer again. 

Spoiler

There must be a massive time jump all the Captains are now sporting 3 or 4 Admiral stars so much that they look like the crazy Greek Navy

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

In next season, there's finally more than one ship.  It looks like Kara is the Captain of one?  I think Slattery is still the captain of one, if not promoted to something higher.

Both of you are right. "losing command" was probably to strong a term. But it has become kind of amusing watching the contortions the show goes through to keep Chandler in command of the Nathan James. 

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

In next season, there's finally more than one ship.  It looks like Kara is the Captain of one?  I think Slattery is still the captain of one, if not promoted to something higher.

Kara is responding for the Nathan James, so I don't think she is captain, perhaps XO. (Unless they are going to "Slattery" her) The other captain was the former chief engineer of the NJ who was missing this season. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Both of you are right. "losing command" was probably to strong a term. But it has become kind of amusing watching the contortions the show goes through to keep Chandler in command of the Nathan James. 

Kara is responding for the Nathan James, so I don't think she is captain, perhaps XO. (Unless they are going to "Slattery" her) The other captain was the former chief engineer of the NJ who was missing this season. 

In the promo she answered 

Spoiler

"Nathan James actual." Actual means she is the  Captain of Nathan James' . Someone else talking on the radio for the ship would just give the call sign without "actual". When piped aboard a ship it would not be Captain Green but "Nathan James arriving"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This. The preview showed 3 ships with Kara Green on the Nathan James, Garnett on another, and a male voice answering for the other. There’s a close up shot of Adam Baldwin in the preview where it looks like Slattery is now an Admiral. Also, the actor playing Burk posted a picture on his instagram where it looks like he’s XO and Kara is CO (both of them O-5). Someone higher up must really like Kara Green. She just keeps getting promoted. Danny just gets the funny beard.

Edited by ChiliCrab
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, ChiliCrab said:

This. The preview showed 3 ships with Kara Green on the Nathan James, Garnett on another, and a male voice answering for the other. There’s a close up shot of Adam Baldwin in the preview where it looks like Slattery is now an Admiral. Also, the actor playing Burk posted a picture on his instagram where it looks like he’s XO and Kara is CO (both of them O-5). Someone higher up must really like Kara Green. She just keeps getting promoted. Danny just gets the funny beard.

Well, Danny is a SEAL, so his talents would be wasted in the Captain's chair.  

And I was trying to think of Admiral and couldn't remember the word - Monday morning brain freeze.  Thanks!

ETA:  Which Burk?  

Edited by FnkyChkn34
24 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

ETA:  Which Burk?  

Oops, I meant Carlton Burk. 

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

But it has become kind of amusing watching the contortions the show goes through to keep Chandler in command of the Nathan James. 

I bet Chandler will be back in command of the Nathan James by episode 2, maybe episode 3 at the latest. Can’t keep the savior of the world away from his ship for too long.

12 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, look: the show is still trying to make Chandler and Sasha happen. 

Dialogue on the deck: Chandler- "The future's uncertain."  Me- "And the end is always near.  Let it roll, baby roll..."

Hey, Vulture Team, here's a hint.  If you're dealing with hostiles at the airport, don't waste time ordering them to put the chalupa down and drop your weapons.  Just shoot them.  Same thing on board the Greek ship.  Sasha shoots everyone who gets in her way until she gets to the engine room, and then holds the guy hostage, which gives him a chance to jump her.  Unsuccessfully, of course.

I was thinking, two ships head to head at 20 knots each, yeah, that's going to make it easy for the boarding party.  But then again, the Navy has some experience at colliding with other ships.  What, too soon?

I lost track somewhere.  Did the NJ dump those fishing refugees off between episodes?

I got a kick out of Kandie attaching that foot long silencer to her sidearm.  And then putting it back in a holster.

Vellek holding onto that match until the bitter end was comic.  As was the flash of the hazmat sign on the lab wall while Sasha is shooting it out with the two Greek redshirts.  Be careful, now!

Now that they have won the endgame, what did the NJ do with the Greek warship?  Sink it, let it go?  There didn't seem to be any crew left anyway.

I thought the navigator joke was kind of funny.  But that's just me.

16 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I lost track somewhere.  Did the NJ dump those fishing refugees off between episodes?

No, Slattery said they are taking them home when they deliver the seeds.  So, that's pretty nice of them - they engaged in warfare with 20 refugees on board.  What could have gone wrong?

I could have sworn I saw Fonzie on a paddle board when the ops unit was towing the "torpedo" to blow up the first ship.  

I was looking to see if I saw Scotty when Lucia was teleported to be with Vellek after her bridge was blown up.  It's the only way she could have got there that quickly and undetected.  She was sure to bring a bag of nostos, wasn't she.  Her ship is sinking and she decides it was imperative to get to her cabin to gather personal effects before abandoning.  A genius, that one is.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I could have sworn I saw Fonzie on a paddle board when the ops unit was towing the "torpedo" to blow up the first ship.  

I was looking to see if I saw Scotty when Lucia was teleported to be with Vellek after her bridge was blown up.  It's the only way she could have got there that quickly and undetected.  She was sure to bring a bag of nostos, wasn't she.  Her ship is sinking and she decides it was imperative to get to her cabin together personal effects before abandoning.  A genius, that one is.

They did try to throw in every tactic in naval warfare history. The towed torpedo was close to an American PT boat tactic used against Japanese barges 

I just wish they had stuck to one naming convention for the Greek Ships -- Greek Ship One, Two , Three, Four -- really show ?  Really ?

And if the towed mine contacts the bow of the ship, why did the ship blow up from the middle and the bow remained intact ?
Did the HN ships not have a CIWS to take out the RIB ?  They had everything else that the NJ had.

Why is the glass on the NJ bridge not bullet-proof ?  At least against .50 cal.  That was pretty weak.  But not as laughable as the Greek captain manning the .50-cal and yelling only to get shot up by Kara. Likewise, how were the windshields in the helo not bulletproof ?  Because that looked like small arms fire that took them down.

Admiral Lucia finally gets her comeuppance.  I would have been pissed if she had survived.

I really wanted Giorgio's last words to be along the lines of 'round up the hottest pieces of ass in the Pelopennese'.

Were those plants that were in the crates supposed to be corn ?  Because it looked like Vellek was trying to feed the world with decorative house plants.  Which isn't surprising in his Nostos-withdrawal state of mind.

What happened to Vellek ?  Did he jump or did he ascend to a higher plane of existence ?  I wanted to replicate Fletch's tumble off the side of the ship.
And what was with Vellek pointing to the rock and saying it was heaven ?  That was just odd.

Ramming a ship that was dead in the water was just plain stupid -- was that the Roosevelt maneuver or the Carter maneuver ?  Because the Kennedy maneuver was already taken.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

That was a slog.

Farewell Giorgio, you were fun once.

There was a lot of action but it wasn't tense.  I used to worry about these people when I first started watching the show.

The best thing Sasha did was shoot that tiresome Lucia.

Vellek jumping ship? we never heard a splash - was kind of funny.  He's probably still swimming or flying to Malta.

Maybe the show runners will pull it together for the final season.

• Love 1

The final talk with Vellek was annoying.  It was obvious Chandler wanted him alive.  There were at least 5 weapons available as he droned on and on.  They've been trained to wound wanted combatants in order to bring them in for intel.

FYI - All eps for next (and last) season are already completed.  

On 6/10/2017 at 2:21 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

For this new threat, my money is on either the Greek Navy also has an aircraft carrier commanded by Admiral Lucia .... or .... ghosts.

Admiral Lucia??? Ha ha ha...!!!

A greek aircraft carrier? Nah... WE can't afford to have aircraft , not an aircraft carrier whatsoever..

Edited by ttgreif
  • Love 1

Well, I enjoyed this season of this admittedly silly show. I gather many are disappointed, but so it goes :-)

Weller's crazy was quite fabulous, though I wish poor, stupid Giorgio had gotten a more dramatic death scene. Lucia getting shot by the largely useless Sasha was great. I was glad Granderson got to be useful and show her skills, and very glad Green and Miller were OK. But what happened with Master Chief's illness?

I'm glad to see from above that there is to be another (final) season! I was worried this would be the last. I never watch previews, so I skipped all talk of those. I really love both Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin (ah, how I love a steely eye and a square jaw), and look forward to seeing them again soon!

• Love 3

Skaters offered to either drop him in Greece or pick up his kids and take them to his desired destination. He said he wanted that to be home. So he is going to be with his kids.   I’m Not going to give him  grief for deploying and leaving his kids at home. In real life, our soldiers are serving multiple deployments. 

I have never liked Sasha. 

finally caught up with this and i think peter weller had more fun making this series than i had watching it. Man.

On 09/10/2017 at 4:48 AM, MattyGo said:

Why did the writers expect the viewers to sympathize with the British spy and Peter Weller? Those guys were responsible for many deaths on the Nathan James.  Weird.  Not sure why the drop in quality; but they better get back on track next year.

Given that the two seasons were shot back to back and season 5 is already in the can, i think it unlikely that there will be a pick up in quality for next year's. this season was rubbish, and lacked some of the unintended classic comedy afforded by the likes of HMS Benny hill in the past. 

"Up periscope and shut it, you slaaaag"