Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

I just stumbled upon a clip of Patrick being like, jealous that Sabrina didn't talk about him to Sam (back when Sabrina/Sam were working together for a hot sec), followed by him saying he was happy for Sabrina after "what he did to her" because he "intended on marrying her." And Sam was like, "Your wife came back from the dead." And Patrick was like, "......"

Which brings me to....Ron was the worst and I legit can't watch Patrick scenes from March 2014-December 2015.

I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but I legitimately believe Ron was all pissed off because how DARE the audience root for Robin over HIS character creation. The fact that he tried to make those two pairings with Patrick equal (which...NO) and said - from Day 1 - that the audience WOULD love Sabrina, it just seemed like a prolonged tantrum because folks weren't drinking his special Kool-Aid.

So glad he is gone. So, so, so, so glad.

• Love 3

I'm usually not one for conspiracy theories, but I legitimately believe Ron was all pissed off because how DARE the audience root for Robin over HIS character creation. The fact that he tried to make those two pairings with Patrick equal (which...NO) and said - from Day 1 - that the audience WOULD love Sabrina, it just seemed like a prolonged tantrum because folks weren't drinking his special Kool-Aid.

So glad he is gone. So, so, so, so glad.

I 100% believe he wanted Sabrina to be a STAR and for Patrina to be his very own supercouple. And when it didn't happen, the script got petty. I mean, they t-r-a-s-h-e-d Scrubs from Patrick's end for over a year, by his apathy and by his muteness on the topic. The fact that Patrick/Robin survived at the end is a testament to their history and to the actors. Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3

Sabrina and Patrick could have worked if her introduction hadn't been so ham-fisted. If Ron had taken it more slowly and built a real rapport between the two, instead of Patrick being some sort of Disney prince to Sabrina's Disney princess, the audience might have accepted them. But instead we were force-fed her being the perfect match for him when we had no idea who she was. Just that she was the bestest in every possible way. 

And they need to stop writing in TeCa's real-life pregnancies. 

• Love 4

And what's too bad that is that Ron had the right idea trying to build up the hospital canvas more, but centering that rebuilding around Sabrina - and, to a lesser degree, Felix and Britt - was a mistake. 

The characterization of Sabrina was a mess from the start, with that ridiculous fantasy of Patrick THE FIRST TIME THE AUDIENCE EVER SAW HER. 

And honestly, she got even worse when she lost the glasses and the frizz, she (and Felix) was so fuckin' smug that summer.

And now, Sabrina's like every other chick on this show - torn between her mobster baby daddy and wanting to be part of Sonny's family.  Gag.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Sabrina and Patrick could have worked if her introduction hadn't been so ham-fisted. If Ron had taken it more slowly and built a real rapport between the two, instead of Patrick being some sort of Disney prince to Sabrina's Disney princess, the audience might have accepted them. But instead we were force-fed her being the perfect match for him when we had no idea who she was. Just that she was the bestest in every possible way. 

And they need to stop writing in TeCa's real-life pregnancies. 

I don't think anything would have worked while Robin was being held captive. 

• Love 4

If they had just shown Robin once, leaving the door open for her return one day, that would have been one thing.

But we saw her semi-frequently being tied up and electro-shocked and threatened with death, which yeah, made it hard to root for Sabrina when she was whining and moping about all the obstacles in her way.  Girl, please.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
If they had just shown Robin once, leaving the door open for her return one day, that would have been one thing.

And then she spent a month secretly going around PC, when all we wanted was for her to reunite with her family. Every single beat was completely botched.

I think Robin being a captive was the wrong choice, both times, but I've also seen pairings work when there's chemistry and good writing, regardless of what's happening to a particular character. Not everyone cares about Robin or Scrubs. I know, it shocks me, too. ;)

• Love 2

I think Robin being a captive was the wrong choice, both times.

I'm not sure it was the wrong choice the first time, but I think showing her repeatedly over the next few years instead of just showing she was alive and could one day return to Patrick's life was.  I prefer that to her really having been dead or them breaking up.

I'm not sure it was the wrong choice the first time, but I think showing her repeatedly over the next few years instead of just showing she was alive and could one day return to Patrick's life was. I prefer that to her really having been dead or them breaking up.

It's hard for me to answer this. Because I don't know. I didn't want my favorite to be a prisoner for years, even if she wasn't shown. I didn't want Robin to die. And having Scrubs just randomly break up would have been unrealistic after the years of undying love this show portrayed with them.

So...I don't know. I still lean toward break-up, though. Maybe Lisa would eventually be too much for Robin to get over and she needed to be away from Patrick? There's still love there but the outside circumstance was too much? Patrick is upset and decides love sucks and goes back to his womanizing ways?

I think a major problem with how they wrote Patrick was he became obsessed with mother-figures and wives, but without the POV that he was essentially trying to replace what he lost. Because that POV would have made a compelling story. Not a man who can propose to two women in the span of two years and it was supposedly 100% genuine and real.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

A few scenes from Robin's pregnancy.

Robin attempts to treat Claudia in the ER

Patrick drops by to check on Robin

Patrick goes to Jake's after telling Carly that Michael is in a coma and calls Robin

Robin picks Patrick up at Jake's

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but did JT get sick for real in 2013/14? Its amazing to see clips from 2006 to 2009 to 2012 to now, he barely aged through 2012, and now looks like he's aged 15 years in the last three.

I think he caught Ronitis - infected with a bad writer's scripts containing poor character development, ignorance of the character's past and a complete lack of originality or follow through.

From what I have seen on Y&R so far - the cure is apparently complete amputation from the source material and strong dose of give-a-damn from the new writers but he has only been speaking for one day so we will have to see if this a temporary recovery or if he is in permanent remission.

Seriously - as far as I know, JT has been perfectly fine health wise.

• Love 3

Yeah, he's not sick. To me, he's just looked like he was sleepwalking through his scenes for the past year. I don't blame him when all he had to do was be shirtless in bed with Sam while saying the names "Jake" and "Jason" on a loop.

• Love 1

Lulu abortion clip: 

Dillon is an industrial-sized ASSHOLE here, not helped by the fact that his hair looks tragic as fuck

I expect bad hair from Dillon, though. What the hell was going on with GV/Lucky's? I've never seen him look worse. I was watching when this was going on, but I had forgotten how right-wing/"Operation Rescue" Lucky sounded during this storyline. At least you could say Dillon had more standing.   

That wasn't Liz's best look either. But Nikolas/Tyler looked better then than now.  

I expect bad hair from Dillon, though. 

He definitely always had bad hair, but I watched Scott Clifton on a regular basis first when he was Sky on OLTL, where he had a decent haircut and none of the spiky shit. So it always takes a second for me to get used to that. ;) 

From when Patrick first came to GH (yes, I am still writing stories and researching clips).

Patrick: What's wrong with having a little fun but don't worry, I took precautions - I won't be catching anything.

Sonny tries to convince Patrick to let Manny die in surgery.

Love the little side-eye he gives Robin while she is lecturing Sonny.

• Love 2

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but did JT get sick for real in 2013/14? Its amazing to see clips from 2006 to 2009 to 2012 to now, he barely aged through 2012, and now looks like he's aged 15 years in the last three.

Hating your job can have a powerful physical effect on a person ....

For any of Patrick's relationships without Robin to have worked, I think they had to have done the following:

1. Don't reveal Robin is alive-but-in-captivity until she was just about to come back ----  or have her brainwashed by the Cassadines or something so she thinks she's happily working away on their projects, gets to wear cute clothes and have some freedom, and has no emotional suffering because she thinks she's someone else entirely ... only eventually does she start to realize she's in danger, everything around her is a lie, and her work is being used for something monstrous.    

2.  The other woman in Patrick's life would have to be an actual character, not a handful of stereotypes (Sabrina the perfect princess, Sam ended up reduced to hot, awesome, perfect "Adventure Girl").   

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2

Dude, Sam was having sex dreams while investigating Shamwow's death. And they were flirting on the plane ride there. That wasn't a serious trip, lol. Patrick gave her a key chain to celebrate their trip!

It is kinda crazy to think that both Patrina and Samtrick had no conflict until their breakups. And even then, the breakups were nice and clean and everyone hold hands!

Edited by HeatLifer

The subject of abortion came up in the Gender On Television thread (in the Everything Else TV forum), and Lulu's abortion came up, so I went and found this. Dillon is an industrial-sized ASSHOLE here, not helped by the fact that his hair looks tragic as fuck:

I think this was the shows over infatuation with JMB and Guza's general hatred for the Qs. The person I felt the most sorry for in Lulu's pregnancy/abortion was Georgie, who not only had to suffer the indignity of being cheated (after Lulu pulled what Valerie pulled to get her husband) on less than a year of being married but was again sidelined when this came out. It might not have been the best idea for a teenager to get married, but Georgie and Dillon did it out of  genuinely love for each other and had been together for years. The fact that Georgie didn't smack the taste out of Lulu's mouth when Lulu told her how Georgie didn't understand the real world like she did because Lulu had an abortion when Georgie expressed enthusiasm over starting college tells you all you need to know about who Guza's pet was.

• Love 2

Even if she deserved it, though, Georgie didn't strike me as the type to EVER hit anybody. I like that she had the restraint and kindness to hold back. It just shows how much character she had.

• Love 1

Even if she deserved it, though, Georgie didn't strike me as the type to EVER hit anybody. I like that she had the restraint and kindness to hold back. It just shows how much character she had.

Agreed, which is probably why they killed her.Her not being a bitch on wheels made her "boring". But I wished she at least reminded Lulu that because of her she had her first divorce before she was legally allowed to drink.

Georgie has three strikes against her: 1) she was a wimmins who 2) wasn't Sonny ass-kisser, and 3) didn't define herself by the dick inside her nightly.

Killing off Georgie & Emily, two smart women was disgusting. Georgie could have very easily just gone to school in Rome/Paris/London, and Emily could have taken some fellowship at one of the same locales.

• Love 3

Agreed, which is probably why they killed her.Her not being a bitch on wheels made her "boring". But I wished she at least reminded Lulu that because of her she had her first divorce before she was legally allowed to drink.

I dunno, if you're telling someone that you got a divorce before you could drink because of them, that should prompt a lot of self-reflection as well. As in, "wait a second, why the hell did I marry someone before I could drink?"

• Love 1

I dunno, if you're telling someone that you got a divorce before you could drink because of them, that should prompt a lot of self-reflection as well. As in, "wait a second, why the hell did I marry someone before I could drink?"

Maybe down the line, Georgie and Dillon would have decided to dissolve the marriage without some 3rd party interloper because of this. I think the ended up going through with the divorce eventhough they got back together because hello. They decided to get married because Dillon caught Monkey virus and they thought he would be died in 24 hours and young love and that shit. My point is Lulu talked down to a person she put through emotional hell about how she was somehow more worldly and grown up than her because of her abortion when Georgie was talking up going to college and making a fresh start. As if Georgie had been going to Girl Scout meetings and having Mac drive her to swim practice that past year. For better or worse, Georgie ended up doing something equally as grown up as Lulu before she was ready and Lulu and balls to chastise Georgie for being "immature", especially after what she did to her. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4

The current Dante/Lulu/Val mess made me want to rewatch some Scrubs/Lisa, which, my goodness, is better than I ever thought.

When Robin says there's a part of her that wants to forgive Patrick and a tear rolls down his face, I'm like...GUH. I miss these idiots!

• Love 3
I was thinking the exact same thing when I was reading the old Lulu/Dante dialogue that was posted in the episode thread. They were so damn good and now we have...whoever penned the lines about the real housewives of Beecher's Corners.

Yeah they really were. Despite the overall stupidity of Guza's stories there were tons of scenes in and of themselves that were good.

more good Dante/Lulu dialogue, because I'm feeling nostalgic and I'm in the path of the stoooooooorm

Dante: Hey. Sorry about that. It was a little hiccup.

[Lulu laughs]

Dante: Where were we?

Lulu: You scared me. You okay?

Dante: Yeah, I'm fine. You gonna give me that answer or what? I don't know how long we got before these alarms go off again. Oh, hey, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It was a bad joke. I'm scared, too. Not so much about this, but about this. I feel like my proposal's just been...hanging in the air for days. I can't promise you bad things aren't gonna happen. But I can promise you that I will love you...no matter what comes our way, always and with everything I got. Come on. Say you'll marry me. Yeah?

Lulu: Yeah. On one condition.

Dante: Wait. One condition? Okay. What, no more "SportsCenter" at 5:00 in the morning? Um...socks. I'll wash my own socks. Flowers every day for a year.

Lulu: I don't want anyone to know.

Dante: I'm not that ugly.

and from when Lucky found out Dante was undercover. It was the first scene between Lucky, Dante, and Lulu together and I still love it a lot. The actors all worked really well together. Ugh, and now Dante is bouncing lines of Nathan's overwaxed chest:

Dominic: Couple of months ago, I was behind Kelly's. You know, the alleyway in the back, there was something up on the wall there, and--

Lulu: Oh, I can explain. Um, this is all-- this is all my fault.

Dominic: No, it's okay.

Lucky: What's your fault?

Lulu: Uh, wh--what's happening. I set this into motion. I asked Dominic to look something up for Maxie.

Lucky: About what?

Lulu: About work.

Lucky: Fashion stuff on this computer--

Lulu: No, no, no, not work. About Mac.

[Lucky and Dominic laugh]

Lulu: What? Why am I-- I'm funny?

Dominic: You are hysterical, but you are very cute.

Lucky: It's priceless. I wish Dad could see you now. His little cupcake covering for a cop.

Dominic: Cupcake!

Lulu: You know?

Lucky: Yeah.

Dominic: Lucky figured it out.

Lucky: Dominic using his badge number to log into the system was my first clue.

Dominic: I tried to erase it, but whiz kid here got in there and brought it back up.

Lucky: So, Lulu, how long has this been going on?

Lulu: What?

Lucky: You and Dominic? I'm assuming Dad doesn't know about it, right? 'Cause, you know, I'd love to be there when you tell him.

Lulu: Wait, no, no, no. Dad doesn't know anything, because there is no me and Dominic. Right?

Dominic: Well, actually, we're dating.

[Chuckles]

Lulu: Okay, first of all, we are not dating. And secondly, you can wipe that smug, self-satisfied look off your face.

Lucky: I was just looking at you.

Lulu: Well, I don't think that I'm an object of your amusement. I don't find the situation very funny. My stomach has been in knots ever since I found out this guy was undercover. You want to talk about conflict of interest? I've been worried about him, scared that his stupid big head's going to get shot off any minute.

Dominic: She's crazy about me.

Lulu: Yeah, well, I haven't even mentioned Sonny, and I know you're not supposed to, but I happen to like him. I think he's been really good to our family. And then there's Carly and I haven't mentioned how she's affected in this, and how I feel guiltier every single day for not at least warning her.

Lucky: It really wasn't fair of you to put my sister in this position.

Dominic: I didn't--

Lulu: He didn't put me in the position. I found out on my own. And I really wish that I hadn't.

Dominic: Well, you know what, this whole thing is going to be over really soon, anyway.

Lulu: Oh, goody. Then we can all trek through the nuclear fallout.

Lucky: I know that you have affection for Sonny. So do I. He was a good friend. He was almost like a mentor growing up. But Sonny made decisions about how he wants to live his life, just like Dominic, just like me.

Dominic: Okay, you know what, not to interrupt this wonderful bonding moment, but the only thing I can think about right now are those cops you mentioned before.

Lucky: The ones on Sonny's payroll?

Dominic: Yeah. So I think I should get what I need to get and split.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

I loved how Lucky quickly put a stop to Dante telling the truth and decided to tease her a bit. The glances Lucky and Dante kept exchanging were hilarious. People teasing each other! Acting like human beings act! Amazing.

This is a fun clip - Johnny and Lulu toasting Sonny losing his temper in court (at 5:10) and Dante coming in and not acting like a jealous douchetool!

And this clip with Maxie/Sam/Lulu is fun - the look on Lulu's face when Maxie says Sam might be pregnant is really funny:

• Love 4

Its was a sad, sad day when we look back at the JFP/Guza shitfest with fondness.

I admitted to enjoying a decent amount of the show at the time. I like 2006, and 2009-up to about June 2011.

• Love 1

Because the two female HWs are (and I legit thought this was impossible) even shittier at writing for women than 'love to tie Sam up in a revealing tee' Fronspraguza

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 2

While RC, FV and the new head writers are terrible when given freedom, I will never forgive Frons, Guza and JFP for all Jason&Sonny/all the time, with Carly mixed in for good measure. It would have been a good show if it was even 50% out of J&S's collective asses, but it wasn't. All the time Jason had to be the big hero. He always won the girl. He was always right. Everyone from cops, to other Qs, to doctors had to be shown as being somehow inferior to him. Characters were shredded to prop him and Sonny up. It is a lie that Spinelli was the great truth teller. Spinelli was Guza, end of story. Spinelli told the audience what to feel, even if our lying eyes told a different story, probably his efforts to "train the audience". It wasn't an accident that characters greatly improved or were written more fairly if their story didn't hurt J&S's stories. Night Shift showed the quality of GH improved when Jason was taken out of the story. 

• Love 2

The show needed more balance throughout most of the 2000s but even when Guza's stories were shitty, we got great individual scenes/character interactions from the previous script writers. I think having the same group of people shape the day to day vision of the characters helped maintain a little bit of an internal consistency that is completely absent with this bunch of pun lovin assclowns

• Love 1

Except for the mandatory Sonny worship, that scene was adorable, as were a lot of the early Dante/Lulu scenes. Sigh.

All this dialogue is making me sad for what's happened.  I can vividly remember every one of these scenes, the facial expressions and interaction.  And now we have the crapfest that is the Dante/Lulu scenes these days.  

• Love 4

And this clip with Maxie/Sam/Lulu is fun - the look on Lulu's face when Maxie says Sam might be pregnant is really funny:

You know how much I loved this clip, JMB's face was EPIC. There is such a stark difference between the way the dialogue used to be written. I desperately miss that. Because even though you had some crappy stories and Guza's Evil Trio, there was a lot to like. Plus it felt like an actual soap opera, unlike what they're showcasing today.

• Love 2
People teasing each other!

There is so little intentional humor on the show these days. It's all doom and gloom. Nik telling Spencer he has to thank his friend's parents for allowing to stay with them even though he had to do the dishes is not amusing, it's further evidence that Spencer is an entitled asshole. As if we needed more confirmation of that. There is no lighthearted story to contrast with all the heavy stuff going on.

And this clip with Maxie/Sam/Lulu is fun - the look on Lulu's face when Maxie says Sam might be pregnant is really funny

Maxie's hair is TRAGIC.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

I will say, Ron was probably better than Garin Wolf, who was pretty bad. I can't say for sure whether I think these two are better or worse than him yet.

Here's the thing...and this may be a UO, I dunno...but Ron knows how write big reveal moments. Robin interrupting Patrina's wedding? Amazeballs. Michael finding out Sonny killed AJ? I ate that shit up like a bucket of buttery popcorn. The dialogue in both those reveals was on point. The emotion was on point. A part of me wonders how he would have written the Jason reveal.

• Love 1