Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

On the conversation about the history of kid actors on this show:

Fondness for the kids is easiest when they allow them to grow up and use them wisely and sparingly.  SORAS-ing never works for me for that reason, and there should be far fewer babies on soaps.  

JJ and KMc benefited from writing that was miles better than anything kid actors on soaps get now.  Both could be really cloying as kids, but the writers cared about portraying them as normal, nice kids dealing with the danger and weirdness of their parents' lives.  So they were mostly loveable.  

And the parents were written much better back in the day, too -- I loathed Luke even in the 90s, but I do remember my heart wrenching for him when he saw in horror that child Lucky had followed him to the docks at night and had been shot as a result.  

Child Michael was a horror as a kid, but it's a shame they didn't deal more honestly with how Sonny and Carly fucked him up, the remorse they should feel over that, and how he might struggle to become his own person.  They SORAS-Ed him, had a bunch of terrible things happen to him, and then turned him into a Sonny-forgiving cypher.   

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

And the parents were written much better back in the day, too -- I loathed Luke even in the 90s, but I do remember my heart wrenching for him when he saw in horror that child Lucky had followed him to the docks at night and had been shot as a result.

I remember that. Here it is:

• Love 2
On 9/27/2016 at 8:26 PM, Oracle42 said:

Yeah but Soapnet is basically our only chance of seeing real soap at this point, unless you watch CBS

All I notice is that his eyes look much nicer when his head is wrapped up. And when they're closed. 

6 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Does anyone remember why Jason and Courtney decided to get married in France of all places? I'm having a total mindblock.

Soapcentral has it down as the fact that Jason was desperate to try and save their relationship. Marriage is always the best way to rekindle that fire! This was after her miscarriage and 3 day drug addiction, of course. Oh, and after she ran down Liz with her car. And didn't remember.

36 minutes ago, stlbf said:

Soapcentral has it down as the fact that Jason was desperate to try and save their relationship. Marriage is always the best way to rekindle that fire! This was after her miscarriage and 3 day drug addiction, of course. Oh, and after she ran down Liz with her car. And didn't remember.

LOL, yeah, I know all that. I was just curious about France. Why France? And I've decided Guza was throwing shade at Robin. Bc out of ALL the places around the globe, the show chose FRANCE. And had Courtney make a comment about Paris. It's too coincidental.

Edited by HeatLifer
12 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Child Michael was a horror as a kid, but it's a shame they didn't deal more honestly with how Sonny and Carly fucked him up, the remorse they should feel over that, and how he might struggle to become his own person.  They SORAS-Ed him, had a bunch of terrible things happen to him, and then turned him into a Sonny-forgiving cypher.

They totally punted on this. Sonny and Carly had a few handwringing moments, but that's it. Michael trying to figure out who he is should be driving stories for years. So of course we don't get it. That would mean putting some effort into things, and this show doesn't do that anymore.

• Love 4

Just wanted to remind myself there were other times when GH was pretty much this bad. Even good dialogue writers (and this is good dialogue, but in service of shitty ideas and bad characterization) cannot help if forced to serve this crap agenda. (This was under Garin Wolf, for the record.)

10/17/11

Ethan: See, I think you have the wrong idea, here. Lucky's not off chasing ghosts, okay? He's taking a much-needed breather from you.

Ethan: Lucky doesn't trust himself around you, okay? He's too fragile, and although he loves you--

Elizabeth: We love each other. Even though he may not admit it.

Ethan: Lucky rescued you when you were a teenager. Now, that set a pattern that you can't seem to break.

Elizabeth: What gives you the right to judge?

Ethan: I'm not judging. I'm just calling it like I see it.

Elizabeth: [Sighs] Yes, we may have had our fair share of problems.

Ethan: [Chuckles] Yeah, that's a bit of an understatement. And, what, you to have a child with a mob enforcer, and--oh, yeah--you slept with Lucky's brother.

Elizabeth: Ohh. Wow. Not that it's any of your business, but we've worked all that out.

Ethan: After Lucky hit rock bottom, all right? And do you want to drag him down to those depths again? It's a destructive relationship.

Elizabeth: I don't really give a damn what you think. I know what we are to each other.

Ethan: I've heard you say it yourself, okay? Whatever you and Lucky started out as, you've turned toxic.

Elizabeth: Really? Who was Lucky asking for when he was shot up with all those drugs? He wasn't begging for his wife. He wanted me.

Ethan: [Scoffs] And that's a positive? That's when you want the love of your life reaching out? When he's too drugged up to stop himself?

Elizabeth: He needed me and I was there for him.

Ethan: Just like you needed him when you were a teenager? Look, grow up. You're not those kids anymore. You can't keep clinging to that fantasy.

Elizabeth: I was raped. It wasn't a fantasy. I wouldn't have survived without Lucky, and there have been times he wouldn't have survived without me.

Ethan: Maybe it's time to let go, okay? Do it for yourself, for your kids, and especially for Lucky.

Elizabeth: Looks like I'm not the only one who's holding on to the past. That picture's from Wyndemere. Why do you think Lucky would have brought it here?

Ethan: [Sighs] He didn't, all right? I did.

Elizabeth: You don't think this is at all a little hypocritical? You're accusing me of holding on to the past while you're dragging around a portrait of Laura?

Ethan: It's not like I'm hiding it under my pillow. I just got it restored.

Elizabeth: Oh. Then you're gonna return it, right?

Ethan: Mm-hmm.

Elizabeth: Hoping that you'll run into Helena to rile her up just like Luke loves to do?

Ethan: [Laughs] You think I'm trying to be my father.

Elizabeth: I think you're trying it on for size, see if it fits. Wondering what life would have been like had you not been adopted.

Ethan: Had I been raised by Luke.

Elizabeth: Well, here's the big answer, Ethan. You will never know, so I wouldn't waste my time trying to be Luke just to figure it all out.

Ethan: Likewise. Oh, come on. Don't tell me you don't see the similarities. Luke and Laura--Lucky and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth: No, I don't. There's no comparison.

Ethan: My father felt trapped, right? In a life that Laura created for him, a life that she fought like hell to hold onto.

Elizabeth: Okay, well, I'm not forcing Lucky into anything.

Ethan: Because he's not giving you the chance. We both know what would have happened if he had stayed.

Elizabeth: Well, he would have ended up living with me and his boys. Is that so terrible? You said it yourself that he loves me.

Ethan: No, I was gonna say that Lucky loves you like he love those little pills. It's not real, it's not healthy, and he knows he needs to break free.

Elizabeth: Loving me is not a prison.

Ethan: No, for Lucky, it's a trap. He knows that if he goes back to you, he's setting himself up for another fall. Probably his last.

Elizabeth: Oh. I see. So, there's no chance for us to be happy.

Ethan: Eventually you'll get bored, restless, or whatever it is that precedes your compulsive need to stray.

Elizabeth: For the record, Lucky strayed first--with Maxie.

Ethan: Oh, so he did--when he was strung out on pills. What's your excuse?

Elizabeth: You know, Luke has a talent for telling hard truths. You're no Luke.

Ethan: And you're no Laura. Lucky put you up on this pedestal, but you have three kids by three different fathers.

Elizabeth: So now I'm a bitch and a whore?

Ethan: I never said it.

Elizabeth: Well, you may as well have. Siobhan did. Lucky has.

Ethan: Yeah, and that should have been the end of it right there, but, no, you had to keep holding on. It's enough, Elizabeth. Let it go before it becomes a sickness that poisons your life.

Elizabeth: Oh, okay. All right. I get it. I-it's all me. This is--this is my problem. I'm ruining Lucky's life. [Chuckles] 

SO MANY FLAMES ON THE SIDE OF MY FACE. I don't even know where to start with that. Well, okay, how about with, you can kinda see the writer rebelling against Ethan's narrative a bit. When she tells him "it wasn't a fantasy, I was raped" and when Liz tells Ethan Lucky cheated first with Maxie.

And oh man does this dialogue make me wish for Ethan's violent off-screen death. "And you're no Laura?" HOW WOULD HE KNOW HE NEVER FUCKING MET HER?!?!?! "Lucky put you up on a pedestal but you had three kids by three different fathers"? Whose idea was it to have 22 year old Ethan, who had never been in any kind of long-term relationship, relationship advice to Elizabeth? What? I don't get why they didn't have Lulu deliver this dialogue. It would have still been stabby, but less so.

Oh, and another thing that was bugging the shit out of me at this time - Ethan says "Lucky is fragile" but everyone was worried about LULU somehow going catatonic like Laura because she would be so worried about something happening to Dante on the job because that was just like Laura being worried about Luke's mob ties and being worried that she was caging him in. HUH??

So just in case any of you think, "this is the worst GH has ever been" . . . there have been comparable times.

To Ethan's credit, they did have him apologize for this pile of bullshit:

[Door opens]

Ethan: What brings you by?

Elizabeth: I drove by on impulse. I saw the lights on. I just kind of wondered who was here.

Ethan: Hoping to find Lucky?

Elizabeth: I try not to think about him. You know, it's a little hard, though, when I've got a kid constantly saying, "Daddy was nicer and Daddy was more fun and Daddy let us do this and that and..."

Ethan: Well, if it would help, I could come by and hang out with cam for a bit, go to an arcade or teach him how to play poker.

Elizabeth: Actually, Lucky was in the middle of teaching him, so, yeah, if you want to come by and pick up the lessons, that'd be great.

Ethan: What? Really? [Laughs] You are full of surprises, aren't you?

Elizabeth: [Chuckles] What, did you think I was gonna freak out because my kid's learning how to gamble?

Ethan: Yeah. Pretty much.

Elizabeth: Well, Luke taught Lucky and Lulu, so I figured what's the harm? Just do me a favor and don't teach him too many tricks on how to cheat.

Ethan: All right. Just enough so he'll know when he's getting cheated.

Elizabeth: That's exactly what Lucky said. [Sighs] I'm doing it again.

Ethan: Doing what?

Elizabeth: The harder I try not to think about Lucky or where he is or how much I miss him, the...the more it just sneaks up on me.

Ethan: Well, coming by this place pretty much guarantees bringing Lucky to mind.

Elizabeth: I was on my way to pick up the kids, and this old Motown song came on the radio. And generally I just turn off any song that reminds me of Lucky. But this time, I...I felt stronger. I felt like I could do it. And the next thing I know, I'm driving by this place. Lights are on. I was really hoping Lucky would be here.

Ethan: I realize I've been more than a little judgmental where you and Lucky are concerned. Basically, I've been an ass, in total violation of my principles.

Elizabeth: You have principles?

Ethan: [Chuckles] Yes, I do. Live and let live.

Elizabeth: Oh.

Ethan: So I had no right to comment or even criticize your relationship with Lucky, and I am truly sorry.

Elizabeth: Oh, well, I accept your apology. However, most of what you said was valid.

Ethan: Not the way I said it, though. Look, I-I wasn't here for what you and Lucky went through, for most of it. And--and when I showed up late to the party, I just started running my mouth, so...

Elizabeth: I already said I accepted your apology.

Ethan: The thing is, Lucky talked to me a lot about how messed up he thought he was, you know, how he always felt like he was failing you. And I made it sound like he blamed you for that, but it couldn't be further from the truth. He blamed himself.

Elizabeth: When Lucky and I were together, we would--we made each other stronger. We never used to blame each other or question who did more damage. And now that's all we ever talk about. Uh, that's what we used to talk about before he left.

Ethan: Well, if it helps, Lucky said he'd always care about you and that you'd always be a part of him.

Elizabeth: Sometimes it--it helps to hear that. And then sometimes, it just makes it worse.

Ethan: It's hard to let go when the other person is still holding on.

Elizabeth: But there's nothing to hold on to. When Lucky comes back, he's not coming back to me.

Ethan: You know, I can usually tell when someone is trying to convince themselves of something they don't believe.

Elizabeth: Did you know that my brother, Steven, used to be in a country band?

Ethan: [Laughs] That is definitely not something that came up in conversation.

Elizabeth: Okay, well, right now, I feel like one of those songs. You know, where the woman sings about being strong and moving on with her life until that man walks through the door and she falls for him all over again.

Ethan: [Chuckles] So you think if Lucky showed up here heart in hand, claiming that he was wrong about everything?

Elizabeth: I don't know. I would like to think that I could be rational and cautious and really take time to figure out what I need to do. And especially for the sake of my kids. I don't want to drag them through any more disappointment.

Ethan: That's very admirable of you.

Elizabeth: But honestly, I'd probably just run and jump into his arms and tell him that, "I promise it'll be different this time." [Both chuckle] Okay, can we stop talking about this and change the subject before I talk myself into thinking that there's a chance?

Ethan: Yeah, but you'll never stop loving him.

Elizabeth: I thought we were gonna change the subject.

Ethan: Okay. We will. [Laughing] We will. I'm just trying to figure out how it works, you know, true love. I-is it real? Does it even exist?

Elizabeth: Of course it exists. I know it exists. The thing is, people just expect too much out of it. True love can't fix all the problems. It can't keep you from making mistakes. It can't change who you are. True love can't even keep you together. In fact, sometimes the best thing to do when you really love someone...is let them go.

Ethan: You think that's what Lucky did? Walked away so you'd be free?

Elizabeth: I don't know. He did what he did, and I have to accept it and move on.

Ethan: Like find someone new?

Elizabeth: [Laughs] I just need to focus on what I want and what makes me happy.

Ethan: Good. You're embarking on a journey of self-discovery.

Elizabeth: [Chuckles] Yeah. In between double shifts at the hospital and doing laundry.

Ethan: [Chuckles]

Elizabeth: The truth is, being a single parent doesn't leave a whole lot of time for introspection. But the plus side is that I'm way too busy to think about what I've lost. [Chuckles] Except for tonight, of course. I'm sorry that I've made you listen to me wallow.

Ethan: No, it's all right. You know, I've just been sitting here, and I realize that I don't know you that well. You know, I kind of took you at face value. You were Lucky's first love. You were the mother of his children. But I never appreciated your sense of humor or your--your appreciation for poker.

Elizabeth: [Chuckles] Well, poker isn't really my game. But this is.

Ethan: [Laughs]

Elizabeth: I win.

Ethan: No! You hustled me!

Elizabeth: Oh, maybe just a little.

Ethan: After I apologized and everything?

Elizabeth: Oh, come on. I know you lost on purpose.

Ethan: No. Not a chance. I will beat you this time.

Elizabeth: Oh, I have to go get my kids.

Ethan: No. I demand a rematch.

Elizabeth: Well, I'll see what I can do.

Ethan: All right. Well, good, because my professional pride is at stake here.

Elizabeth: You know, coming by here was a silly impulse, but I'm really glad I did.

This was about two months later when Ron hadn't officially taken over yet but they were already making changes to the writing. But they still had the old dialogue writers. So dumb FV! You guys could have been good together! Anyway, I've done a 180 and now wish they had shared more scenes lol.

ALSO HE DIDN'T WALK AWAY SO YOU COULD DATE FRANCO, LIZ. (He just walked away so you could date amnesiac Jason under false pretenses!)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

Is all that chuckling in the script? If so, I owe NP an apology. I thought that was him not knowing what else to do.

32 minutes ago, ulkis said:

So just in case any of you think, "this is the worst GH has ever been" . . . there have been comparable times.

Now is definitely the worst the show has been. Every story is awful and horribly written. Before it was a mix of decent and terrible.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Is all that chuckling in the script? If so, I owe NP an apology. I thought that was him not knowing what else to do.

Now is definitely the worst the show has been. Every story is awful and horribly written. Before it was a mix of decent and terrible.

no, it's a transcript. they transcribed his chuckling.

I don't remember liking anything about after a month into Garin Wolf's writing.

8 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't remember liking anything about after a month into Garin Wolf's writing.

There's actually a lot of scenes I looooved during his time, can't lie.

I can't believe how this show portrayed Liz and Lucky. All that dialogue applies to Liz and Jason. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

There's actually a lot of scenes I looooved during his time, can't lie.

I can't believe how this show portrayed Liz and Lucky. All that dialogue applies to Liz and Jason. 

There were a couple of scenes I liked. But overall, it became really ponderous, depressing, and slow.

5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

There were a couple of scenes I liked. But overall, it became really ponderous, depressing, and slow.

I understand. I'd take it over anything right now, though. Although I'm also just grateful my two faves (Lucky and Robin) are gone.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I understand. I'd take it over anything right now, though. Although I'm also just grateful my two faves (Lucky and Robin) are gone.

YOU'RE JUST SAYING THAT. Don't make me dig up the scenes of Robin threatening to inject Lisa! The never ending boat shenanigans!

5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Robin looked sooooooooo pretty then. Maybe Kim could feel freedom approaching and it made her look even prettier!

I love her hair like that. 

Both Kim and Jason were so freaking amazing during those last few months. They always were to me, anyway, but still.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ulkis said:

What were Sam and Jason doing under Guza after Liason ended? It was all about whatever Jason was doing while Molly kept hinting that Sam wanted to get married and Jason saying "if you want to, I'll do it" while Sam said "I don't need to" a bunch of times.

They went chasing after Michael and Kristina in Mexico, there was a carnival with Jason's slow-mo walk of pain, Spin/Maxie's non-wedding, Jason went to prison, Brenda/the Balkan, Franco 1.0,  Jason proposed with a lugnut and everyone called them "unconventional" 1 million times, Jason's brain exploded again and they got married and then Franco 2.0 happened. I don't remember them talking about getting married but I wasn't watching every day

But I do remember this: https://youtu.be/y78YRRsb7tQ
They had a more substantive conversation about their relationship during a shoot-out then they've had since Jason CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD. 

Also? During the next episode, Lucky shows up and is intelligent and capable and he gets to be heroic when Jason was in the same room

I flove Lucky. 

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

They went chasing after Michael and Kristina in Mexico, there was a carnival with Jason's s,low-mo walk of pain, Spin/Maxie's non-wedding, Jason went to prison, Brenda/the Balkan, Franco 1.0,  Jason proposed with a lugnut and everyone called them "unconventional" 1 million times, Jason's brain exploded again and they got married and then Franco 2.0 happened. I don't remember them talking about getting married but I wasn't watching every day

LAWD. Everything was always about Jason. JT was right.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

The entire show was about Jason but Sam still had more of a personality and a POV than she does now - everyone did

Which is truly sad to say. As everyone is so cheap and bland bad vanilla extract as it is now.

I will say there was more depth and introspection in that Ethan/Elizabeth exchange than I saw in all of 2015 or what I watched of 2016. 

Everything now is so superficial and pointless. I blame Ron and his "style" of writing- all cliches and jokes and pop culture references. Nothing but glibness. Running jokes about Golden Girls and Falcon's Crest or Flamingo Road or whatever substituting as content. Frank's cut, slash, and splice 'em up style editing didn't help either.

And Jelly can't seem to right the ship.  Perhaps because Ron's and Frank's vision and taste were so aligned. 

• Love 6

I think a huge problem with GH now is (as I'm watching the Metro Court Hostage Crisis on YT) is the following:

1.)  Lack of actual direction in scenes.  Look up the terms "mise en scene", "dolly shots", "180 degree camera angle", "depth of field".  There is literally no one directing this show and the visual effect is garbage af. 

2.) Lack of actual editing in scenes.   Fire some damn "name actors" and hire an editor and a director, Frank.  Gah.  The lighting is harsh and disgusting.   We went from dark af Gotham like to bright cheap Wal Mart lighting.  I don't want to feel like I'm watching a soap shot by a cell phone in a dept store.

3.) Lack of wardrobe/hair/makeup.  This show looks cheap and feels cheap.  GH has some of the most beautiful cast members, but can't dress them properly.  Do like JE and let them dress/do their own hair.

4.)  There is no story.  Make a storyboard if none of you can remember.  Watch montages if you don't know because none of the writers know these characters.   Learn the characters.  Create a story with 4-5 characters before adding new characters.

5.)  The cast is too bloated.  You can't write for bunches of characters at one time.  Especially when none of them are connecting and you don't know them.  If you don't know the history, you shouldn't write for the show.  And you damn well shouldn't add new characters.

6.)  Stop revolving the show around ONE family, ONE person.  Also, stop redeeming every damn villain.  It's okay to punish bad guys and send them away.  Damn, son.

7.)  Not every sexual encounter equals babies, and not everyone having sex wants babies.  But adults should work.  Make your characters do stuff.

8.)  Make friendships.  Make enemies.   But don't make enemies friends.  And don't make friends lovers.

9.)  Stop making secret children.  Age the ones you have.  If you haven't shown a kid in 6 months, then don't add a new one.  Don't cater to fanbases.  They'll get over it.

10.)  Cast people who can act.   No one gives a fuck about their resume or their name if they can play the damned role.  Cast for the role, not for fucking publicity.

Sorry.  That felt great to get out.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, LeftPhalange said:

11) Kill off Freako permanently and don't bring RoHo back so he can play yet another version of Todd Manning. 

12) Unless Finn and Tracy hook up, toss him, too. He adds nothing.

13) Same for Ava. She's past her sell by date and is just another criminal. Kill her and her useless spawn with Sonny. (Hell, I'd love to be rid of Sonny and Carly, too. But I know the score here...)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

11) Kill off Freako permanently and don't bring RoHo back so he can play yet another version of Todd Manning. 

15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

12) Unless Finn and Tracy hook up, toss him, too. He adds nothing.

13) Same for Ava. She's past her sell by date and is just another criminal. Kill her and her useless spawn with Sonny. (Hell, I'd love to be rid of Sonny and Carly, too. But I know the score here...)

I covered that with general blanket statements.    5 & 10.   And Sonny/Carly are clearly covered under 6. 

I don't really remember this storyline so it's possible Emily is justified being an insufferable snot to Tracy, but...shut up, Emily:

But god bless Jane Elliot.  The hair flip she does after her "fight like a Quartermaine" order is perfection.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

it's possible Emily is justified being an insufferable snot to Tracy

NEVER.

10 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

But god bless Jane Elliot.  The hair flip she does after her "fight like a Quartermaine" order is perfection.

ALWAYS.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

GH is boring me again, so I'm residing in 1996. I missed you, 1996. Never leave me.

For once, we agree on something. I think 1996 was GH's strongest year, ever. The acting, the writing, the directing. Everything was absolutely on point. Until the day they cast that poor actress who played Miranda. 

• Love 1

Asian Quarter - Robin and Anna are reunited only to be torn apart again.

Some things never change.

Love Anna keeping Robin from being scared by telling her it's all part of the game.

And when Robert and Anna find her and rescue her.

Robin waving goodbye to her kidnappers and telling them bye-bye as they are lying on the floor will never not be funny.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 3

But it's not his fault! He called it off! You can't blame Sonny because he was too late! He called it off I tell you! We heard him call it off! It's not his fault! (Wash, rinse, repeat).

This reminds me, I always thought it would have made a lot more sense if Sonny had called a hit out on Dante, then he found out the truth from Olivia but he's too late in calling off the hit. Olivia and Dante could have had the conflict and the anger without looking totally ridiculous later on for forgiving him.

• Love 2

I remember liking Sonny when he first came on the show and I liked his involvement with Luke and the Frank Smith story and leading into meeting Brenda.  I just re-watched early Sonny and Brenda through some of the Jax times.  (I was emotionally attached to L&L and F&F), and although I wasn't emotional about Sonny & Brenda, they were GOOD and I was totally entertained by them.  I thought Vanessa Marcil was so beautfiul.  She had what I'd call bedroom eyes.  They were also written really well with regard to their jealous and possessive dialogue.  I've known a few couples that behaved like them and were completely insufferable to be around.  I used to say "You're a bad match"! No one listened to me till they got divorced.  Brandon Barash reminded me of young Sonny.  He had screen presence and chemistry with a lot of people.  I thought he and Anthony Zacchara did great work together.

• Love 2

@Bishop. I respect that you are a fan of Steve Burton and his Jason, but I hated HATED both of them, that for me, Billy Miller’s non interest on screen is no different from Steve Burton’s non interest on screen. I actually think I preferred him as a Q, because he was trying to act then. I will give him this: I do think his Emmy win the 90s was deserved. He did bother to act that year and handled challenging material. But I firmly believe that 40% of the problems with GH was SB’s Jason and other 60% were JFP’s and Guza’s fucking obsessions with making Jason the literal center of PC’s universe. So much so that he would even encroach on other  character's storylines, like Maxie pursuing justice for Georgie and Cooper. Bad enough that Spinelli was involved. I gave the edge to JFP/Guza, because even with no Jason, they would/ did glorify the entirely worthless, like Sonny and Luke, or they would find someone equally odious or make them equally odious. After the 90s, for me, he had absolutely no arc. Nothing was his fault, he never made a mistake, he was morally perfect, his judgement of people were a hundred percent correct. Even when he was fucking other men’s wives, he was totally right and justified because Guza/JFP made the men (first AJ, then Lucky) undeserving. So many characters were thrown under the bus for him: Lucky, Liz,  (she was the one that had to lie about Jake’s paternity), Sam (but boy, was she so much more fun!) Maxie (in order to righteously begin banging Lucky’s wife), Tony Jones. Steve Burton is a mediocre talent and unlike others with limited acting ability, like Greg Vaughn, stopped trying after his Emmy win, especially after Guza and JFP made it clear he didn't have to mentally show up to his job to receive ample amounts of screen time. And there was absolutely to justify Jason having GH centered around him: he portrayer isn't great talent, he had absolutely nothing to do with any upticks in the ratings, unlike Tony Geary (or his own TV dad, Stuart Damon), and Jason Morgan is a boring, undynamic and unrelatable character. I could relate to a young man whose original life plans were completely upended and is forced to take a new path, though not as dramatic. I can't relate to Marty Stu. The closest we got to Jason even acknowledging he made a mistake was during the Jake saga and Jason actually felt bad for cutting AJ out of Michael's life, but the audience never saw a conversation with Carly telling her that he was wrong to cover for her over Michael and supporting Sonny as Michael's father over AJ.

• Love 4