Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ulkis said:

Why did I watch the beginning of this, with Kiki cuddling Avery and saying if Michael really lvoed Avery he'd let her stay with the people who have cared and love her her whole life, and then the camera panned to those two degenerates and their coddled yet neglected man-child

all 4 needed to be thrown out a window right then and there.

Lmao they still do. That's why I have no problem or empathy for what Ava is doing to Morgan. Karma is a bitch.

I miss that Michael so much.

• Love 1

He kind of resembles a cousin of mine. It sounds like he's really happy. I'm glad. Killing off Tony was very shortsighted. But at least he got a decent death scene. Today he'd die during a commercial break, and we'd hear about it after the offscreen memorial service.

• Love 3

Having Tony just fade away and then killing him was extremely flawed as a matter of storytelling.  

The last real story he had before his death in 2006 was in 2001 when Helena blackmailed him into thawing out Stavfroze.

He was perfectly positioned for a big redemption but then instead McTavish and then Guza completely forgot about him.  

ETA: I also always thought, before Tony died, that he and Bobbie would eventually work their way back to each other.  

Edited by Tiger
5 hours ago, Tiger said:

ETA: I also always thought, before Tony died, that he and Bobbie would eventually work their way back to each other.  

That should have happened. I don't understand why it never did.

• Love 2

This is adorbs. JQ and Miguel catch Robin/Stone kissing. I love finding scenes I haven't seen in forever.

Jason: Ahem! Relax, relax! We're not the romance police.

Robin: Not a word.

Jason: Did I say anything?

Miguel: Robin's in love, did you know that?

Robin: Stop it, you guys!

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ulkis said:

The romance police? Oh Jason. Once a dweeb, always a dweeb. And no, it doesn't matter if it was 1994.

I didn't appreciate dorky JQ enough. I'm crying at some of these clips I'm finding.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

But even that keeps morphing.  One day he's like "I got all my memories back!" and then when it's a plot-point he's like "I'm still remembering things" but then he'll pull some random fact out of his ass that makes it seem like he does remember it all.  

And, I'll add, ANY  of the bad shit?  Just gets swept under the rug, by both Sam and him.  That's why I rolled my eyes when Carly was like 'OMG, IT'S ABOUT TIME!" for them to remarry when they should still be sorting through their shitty history.

I don't know. Sure, I think Jason and Sam have had a weird relationship. Jason didn't abuse Sam imo or anything

He had a weird relationship with her where they basically had an unspoken agreement of "I love you, but I also love killing and Michael and loving Michael in my world for some reason means dealing with his crazy parents, so as long as you don't mind me dealing with that, we're cool" and she was fine with it.

I don't think they're sweeping anything under the rug. All the stuff that happened before he got kicked in the harbor, Sam is over it. It's years, it would be odd if she held it against him. And what could he have to hash out with her?

There could be story where he doesn't want to get married yet because he's still trying to figure out who he is, but they're not doing that.

You could also have a story where Jason feels disgusted by what he used to do and wonders how Sam could overlook it, but they're DEFINITELY doing that.

I'm no fan of Jasam but I don't think they're sweeping anything under the rug. There's been some messed up stuff (like him saying he'd kill her) but they dealt with that ages ago. (I think they did at least? I don't know, but it would be weird if they brought that up now.)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

I think encountering some of the 2006/07 stuff without memories or context might have made for a few good scenes but it doesn't make sense to rehash it with his memories.

I'd like to have seen some of the issues surrounding the Danny pregnancy discussed when she found out she was pregnant again. Instead of not telling him because she was "protecting him", it should've been not telling because she was afraid of being disappointed by his reaction. 

I mean, I think they rushed their reconciliation in 2011 because SBu was leaving but I also think Sam forgave most of it when he found her son and asked to be part of their lives - because actively trying to make amends for previous bad behavior is how soap redemption is done*

Which is another reason that I am confounded by the writing for Franco.

• Love 4

I mean, let's be real. Regardless of where you stand on the couple, this show was never going to get that deep into Jason/Sam. They were never going to explore the past. They wanted a Liz/Jason/Patrick/Sam quad. And at a certain point, transition to Jason and Patrick fighting over Sam. 

23 minutes ago, ulkis said:

like him saying he'd kill her

That STILL sickens me. I can't believe they took him to that level. I mean, I can because Jason lost his heart years before that, but just...wow.

24 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I mean, let's be real. Regardless of where you stand on the couple, this show was never going to get that deep into Jason/Sam. They were never going to explore the past. They wanted a Liz/Jason/Patrick/Sam quad. And at a certain point, transition to Jason and Patrick fighting over Sam. 

That STILL sickens me. I can't believe they took him to that level. I mean, I can because Jason lost his heart years before that, but just...wow.

I can. You just know Guza thought it was so edgy. And Sam ordered all the first born children to be killed! I mean, watched as kidnappers took Jake! She had it coming!

24 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I mean, let's be real. Regardless of where you stand on the couple, this show was never going to get that deep into Jason/Sam.

Yes and no. I mean, how much, pre McBain and post Liason, was there to delve into? "Hey, Jason, remember when I would ask you if you wanted to get married and you would say 'whatever you want' and I'd say 'hey no I don't need to get married, I was just asking'? WELL I WANTED YOU TO ASK ME! YOU BASTARD!" (To which SBu's Jason would stare and reply, "oh, I didn't realize. I'm sorry." and BM Jason would reply "oh, I'm so sorry! Let me give you a hug and a kiss and some pancakes!" in a growl.)

And I feel like they did eventually address Jason running to Carly all the time. Sam had a couple of good speeches where she told Carly that she came first with Jason.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I mean, I think they rushed their reconciliation in 2011 because SBu was leaving 

That was in 2012. 2011 is when JaSam got married. 

7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I can. And Sam ordered all the first born children to be killed! I mean, watched as kidnappers took Jake! She had it coming!

Yes and no. I mean, how much, pre McBain and post Liason, was there to delve into? "Hey, Jason, remember when I would ask you if you wanted to get married and you would say 'whatever you want' and I'd say 'hey no I don't need to get married, I was just asking'? WELL I WANTED YOU TO ASK ME! YOU BASTARD!" (To which SBu's Jason would stare and reply, "oh, I didn't realize. I'm sorry." and BM Jason would reply "oh, I'm so sorry! Let me give you a hug and a kiss and some pancakes!" in a growl.)

And I feel like they did eventually address Jason running to Carly all the time. Sam had a couple of good speeches where she told Carly that she came first with Jason.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I can. And Sam ordered all the first born children to be killed! I mean, watched as kidnappers took Jake! She had it coming!

Such a low-point for Jason. Again, people fight over this character. Whhhhhhy.

8 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I mean, how much, pre McBain and post Liason, was there to delve into? 

That's not for me to answer, lol. Because I just don't care. But others might have wanted to see them discuss certain things. I was just saying TPTB's priority was not to analyze that relationship. They wanted men to fight over Sammy. That's it.

52 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I think encountering some of the 2006/07 stuff without memories or context might have made for a few good scenes but it doesn't make sense to rehash it with his memories.

I'd like to have seen some of the issues surrounding the Danny pregnancy discussed when she found out she was pregnant again. Instead of not telling him because she was "protecting him", it should've been not telling because she was afraid of being disappointed by his reaction. 

I mean, I think they rushed their reconciliation in 2011 because SBu was leaving but I also think Sam forgave most of it when he found her son and asked to be part of their lives - because actively trying to make amends for previous bad behavior is how soap redemption is done*

Which is another reason that I am confounded by the writing for Franco.

That would have been a much more interesting take on her pregnancy announcement than "oh, no, we all might have malaria!" 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

That would have been a much more interesting take on her pregnancy announcement than "oh, no, we all might have malaria!" 

I honestly thought that that was the point of the malaria scare; JP/SA are so terrible at soap drama

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

And did Jason ever get cleared or did I sleep through that scene?

1 hour ago, backhometome said:

He had a mild case of malaria. And was treated off screen in the hospital over night. 

Thanks! Off-screen GH is dope.

@ulkis YT wanted me to watch a Liz/Lucky vid, so I did, and then since I clicked on it, it gave me Liason options and THEY SET A TRAP, CLEARLY.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

YT wanted me to watch a Liz/Lucky vid, so I did, and then since I clicked on it, it gave me Liason options and THEY SET A TRAP, CLEARLY.

Beware if you are looking for Scrubs videos - they will try to reroute you to Patrick/Sabrina clips, especially in 2013 after the reveal that Robin was alive. If I am asking for Robin, do not give me Sabrina.

• Love 3

Those scenes were fantastic. They all played it perfectly. Laura looking through her stuff and reminiscing, Lucky calling Scotty a "double dweeb", and Robin talking about the loss of her parents. So beautiful. I miss scenes like this. All the actors giving their all and just having natural chemistry.

Speaking of Robin and Lucky, it's kinda crazy how much they have in common now because of Helena, Faison, the Cassadines. They could have a really interesting story under different writers, a different EP, a different everything.

• Love 5

I've said it before, but I always wondered why they didn't pair Lucky and Robin once they got older. I think ultimately they'd both be too 'good' together though, who knows.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jsbt said:

I've said it before, but I always wondered why they didn't pair Lucky and Robin once they got older. I think ultimately they'd both be too 'good' together though, who knows.

IIRC, a lot of folks at TWoP shipped "Rocky".

I think the pairing would have worked if it was largely off-screen and them only swinging through town occasionally for specific stories.

In fact, a much better 2014 exit for Kim would have been her being recruited into the WSB with Anna & Robert giving exposition that you cant say no to the WSB.  Drop all the Victor & Jasus crap, and have Robin leave to go on WSB missions with Lucky off-screen.  That would have also repaired the dadbeat dad crap for Lucky.  

That said, I'm happy that Scrubs were reunited and were sent happy to offscreen land.  And since neither Jason nor Kim will ever return for more than brief stints, I doubt that will be undone.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That would have also repaired the dadbeat dad crap for Lucky.  

Not necessarily. Frisco was undercover for the WSB and was a deadbeat dad. 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

That said, I'm happy that Scrubs were reunited and were sent happy to offscreen land.  And since neither Jason nor Kim will ever return for more than brief stints, I doubt that will be undone.  

It's a miracle they got a happy ending, though I imagine the fan outcry would have been deafening if they hadn't.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, jsbt said:

Right? And taking out my personal biases/hatred of certain characters, and just focusing on the potential of storylines and material, there is/was actually quite a bit of story (not necessarily solely romantic) to be told with not only Robin/Lucky, but Robin/Nikolas and Robin/Jason.

As far as two "good" characters being paired, I don't see that as an issue (even though people love to claim "good" equals "boring"), especially if they're complex and still have moral dilemmas and are placed into dark situations. It's not like Robin and Lucky would sit across from each other talking about how amazing and moral the other is. Robin and Lucky have made mistakes, have made questionable decisions. And, also, for being so "good," Robin and Lucky have legit paid for things more than a LOT of characters on this show.

• Love 1

I admit to my own biases, but I'm glad Robin and Lucky are just friends. I don't think they would have worked. And if they had more...shades of gray to one or both, maybe the "good equals boring" thing wouldn't apply here, to me.

But as they are, and the show has ZERO idea how to handle non-idiot characters, I do think they would have been wallpaper. And that would have led to extreme dullness.

• Love 2

After all Robin and Lucky experienced and lost at the hands of the Cassadines, I guess I just see a lot of darkness and grayness that could be explored between them. Speaking of Robin in particular, they gave her a shiny ending, which I have no problem with (obviously :P), but if she had stayed on the show, I would have expected her to be a completely different version of herself, possibly someone hellbent on revenge.

Edited by HeatLifer
12 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Honestly I think I would have jumped out the window if I had to watch all this as it happened. I can understand why the ratings declined eventually under Labine.

I can see why people thought it was too depressing. But I loved it. The show made me FEEL, made me CRY, made me LAUGH. All the actors brought their everything. I miss my show. :/

• Love 6

I really liked this scene between Luke and Carly. But you didn't run the bus over her, Luke, damn it! He could have at least done it on the way out of town! Also hilarious is the way Carly is like "If Dante turns out to be just like Sonny, well, I told her so." 

11/19-22/10

Luke: Your concern for my daughter was very touching.

Carly: Thank you.

Luke: You're never more convincing than when you're lying, sweet Caroline.

Carly: Lulu's like a little sister to me. Of course, I would encourage her to follow her heart and enjoy being in love. I want Lulu to be happy, even if that's with Dante.

Luke: Very effective. Pulling the little sister card. That might work with some suckers. But this is Uncle Luke, Caroline. And he ain't buying it.

Carly: Are you calling me a liar?

Luke: No. I'm calling you a Spencer, through and through. You came out of the womb ready to rumble. You don't suffer fakes or fools, and I appreciate that.

Carly: You think you know me so well, huh?

Luke: I know me. And I know that if some arrogant cop and his love struck girlfriend had got one of my kids thrown in the slammer, ooh. I'd wait years if I had to. Crawl over broken glass and hot tar to get my revenge. Does that sound familiar?

Carly: I hate Dante. Hell, "hate" isn't even a strong enough word for what I feel. And I can't wait for the day that life catches up with that miserable bastard.

Luke: Now, where does Lulu fall on your hate scale?

Carly: I feel sorry for Lulu. Because she was dumb enough and self involved enough to turn her back on her family, and side with that son of a bitch. She's in for one hell of a rude awakening.

Luke: What part do you plan to play in that rude awakening, Caroline?

Carly: I can't help what Dante may do to hurt Lulu.

Luke: And yet, here you are, encouraging her to give her heart and soul to this spud that you hate. Look, don't mistake me for the clowns that you run circles around, Caroline. I know what's up. The deeper invested Lulu is, the harder she's going to be hurt when Dante gets his karmic kickback courtesy of you.

Carly: I have warned Lulu over and over again to stay away from Dante. That he's exactly like Sonny. And if it turns out to be true, well, then, Lulu will have to learn her lesson.

Luke: Yes, she will. She may have to live and learn. But you'd be wise not to bring it on.

Carly: That almost sounds like a threat.

Luke: Oh, come on, Caroline. Why would I threaten you? That's not my style. I just go for the jugular when the enemy isn't looking.

Carly: So I'm the enemy now?

Luke: What I'm telling you is, if Dante suddenly shows up as some kind of dirty cop, or his place is raided and they pull 15 hookers out of the closet, I'm going to feel compelled to look into it. If I find your fingerprints on anything, I won't only throw you off the bus and under it, I will park the bus on you.

Carly: Wow. You can save your threats, Uncle Luke. 'Cause I am banking on the fact that Dante is going to live down to my expectations. And, you know, you should be a little more grateful I'm putting you up here.

Luke: My heart is full.

Carly: Your delivery needs work.

Luke: You know, if we ever found a mutual victim to lay flat... that poor sucker wouldn't stand a chance.

lol at the "15 hookers out of a closet". And he ends with telling her that if they found a mutual enemy there'd be no chance, but honestly, I don't mind.

That one of my more preferable versions of Luke.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

What stood out to me is that Luke and Carly are actually acting like Luke and Carly in that clip. Unlike what we have now where so many of these characters are almost unrecognizable. 

Well, yeah. Wasn't Guza and his team still there or was that (blech!) Garin Wolf by then? Either way, it wasn't RC/FV and it damn sure wasn't JP/SA with FV.

• Love 1

If that was Nov 2010, then it was still Guza.  He didnt get fired until the spring of 2011 when ratings cratered after the Jake was run over by Lewq.  

On a related note, that clip shows that they could have Dark Lewq without doing whatever the fuck it was they did.  Lulu being caught in a mob crossfire, severly injured, and in a deep coma or something wouls have realistically sent Lewq over the edge and into a very dark place.  He could have formed an unholy alliance with Helena to take out Sonny & Julian, found that he reveled in the darkness and kept becoming more and more sinister, eventually leading to a psychotic break.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

Luke's "darkness" is a crock, as is Lucky's. Luke enjoyed dancing on the line between legal and illegal. The Luke of his final years on GH, where he drank a lot and wallowed in self-pity because his family dragged him down, was not the real Luke. It still irritates me how his character evolved and is treated today. As always, dumb and lazy writing.

• Love 3

I will agree that the90s could be depressing I mean even Scotty and Lucy and Sean and Tiffany had depressing stories in 93 that said I loved the piano music back then it totally set the mood and the show had heart and funny moments too.

Now I'm depressed because it's nothing like the show that I fell in love with is.Granted I haven't liked the show as a whole since the 90s.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Harmony233 said:

I will agree that the 90s could be depressing I mean even Scotty and Lucy and Tiffany and Sean were in depressing stories in 93 

And those stories were right before Labine got there, although I would've believed me if you said they were her stories.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

I will agree that the90s could be depressing I mean even Scotty and Lucy and Sean and Tiffany had depressing stories in 93 that said I loved the piano music back then it totally set the mood and the show had heart and funny moments too.

Now I'm depressed because it's nothing like the show that I fell in love with is.Granted I haven't liked the show as a whole since the 90s.

At least the actors didn't look like dead eyed puppets going through the motions. I believe they loved their meatier material and the show didn't poo-poo featuring mundane moments of characters building up their characters and the relationships so we could . The show now simultaneously goes from big moment to big moment and spinning its wheels. 

@ulkis Has there been a time where a Spencer had plotted and carried out revenge for some injustice, real or imagined, and wound up later that the person they screwed over came back? I know that AJ and Scotty tried, Michael might have been the most successfully. I really want Lois to return, see Carly, remember what she tried to rope Brooke Lynn to do to a childhood friend, and pull out all of her hair. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly

The Luke is visited by Cassadines Christmas episode. I would have liked that Lulu for the SORASed version, tbh. I don't think the whole episode is in that clip though

http://tvmegasite.net/transcripts/gh/older/2003/gh-trans-12-24-03.shtml

Luke: Right, so you can't be a ghost. You don't even have chains and if what your dead maniac of a son said is true, you'd be carrying the weight of the world.

Helena: In diamonds, perhaps.

Hee.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1