Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: M.U.B.A.R.

It's Jack Black and OH MY GOD HE DIED, PAT'S STILL ALIVE! And he's gone, too. But I was so glad that Pamela managed to find her dog!

I feel like they could've used those jet skis. While brutal, I appreciated that they actually made sure that Pat was dead this time.

At least it wasn't Tandy's fault everything went to hell this time. Well, except for the last part. Tandy, you still dumb.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

At least it wasn't Tandy's fault everything went to hell this time. Well, except for the last part. Tandy, you still dumb.

Seems some of Tandy's stupidity rubbed off on Melissa and Gail this time. :D And yeah, I was glad to see Pamela reunited with li'l Jeremy. :)

"He's reassembling!" xD Bye-bye, Pat...

RIP Roy; we hardly knew ye. :\ (As an SNL geek, though, I thought it was extra-sweet that Jack was brought in for a cameo here, since he hosted the 2005 SNL episode on which Will finally got to do his beloved "Spelling Bee" sketch from his Groundlings days...)

Guess we already know what sort of relationship / interpersonal dynamics Pamela's going to have with the Tandy Crew -- she may share Tandy's sense of humor (similar to how Tandy was the only one who tried to bond with Pat in the s.3 premiere), the rest of the group considers her as much of an annoyance, a liability and ultimately a possible threat as they had seen Phil/Tandy as throughout s.1. Which makes sense: Like Pamela, Phil 1 had spent years on his own with little-to-no hope of finding another person, and was caused by an extended period of isolation to go a bit crazy and become extremely selfish upon eventually reentering "society." (Also, just as Phil 1 was torn between his loyality to Carol and his lust for Melissa at first, it sounds like Pamela had a similar situation given her story about having coupled with Pat until the more appealing Roy came along.)

Edited by GRChereck

Ok I never want to be 'that' guy and I have always suspended disbelief and enjoyed this show thoroughly. But didn't Tandy say he clogged the toilet because they ran out of tp? Then why was there tp on the makeshift toilet they showed in the next scene? And why did they get out of the yacht so far from the island?

Still, I'm glad my unappreciated little gem is back. I was so excited to see Jack Black! ...for a second.

• Love 4

Okay, I'm a sucker. I laugh with delight at the kill-the-guest star moments. It's a cute little hallmark of the show. Fair-thee-well, Rear-Admiral

Speaking of hyphenated "R" words. "Reasonable-expectations" I had suspected Carol woul have the M of M.U.B.A.R stand for Mucked, but maybe that was a little too close for comfort for Standards and Practices.

I'll give the show credit, they've developed a pretty good little capability for building suspense. I want to keep tuning in.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

But I was so glad that Pamela managed to find her dog!

As nice as it was to see Jeremy again, I thought having their reunion off-screen undercut the impact of the scene in Wiig's previous episode when he ran away from her. Maybe I'm just missing Downward Dog, but I was hoping for an episode showing Jeremy's solo travels before reuniting with Pamela. Wiig's episode was one of my favorites, though, so I'm probably more invested in those characters than most viewers are.

At least Tandy was less infuriating this episode (apart from the toilet incident), and I liked how everyone went along with Tandy's plan to decapitate Pat and then send his head and body in different directions--especially since it meant needlessly losing the Jet Skis. The overhead shot of the two Jet Skis arcing to meet up and the horrified gasps of the gang cracked me up.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, butterbody said:

Ok I never want to be 'that' guy and I have always suspended disbelief and enjoyed this show thoroughly. But didn't Tandy say he clogged the toilet because they ran out of tp? Then why was there tp on the makeshift toilet they showed in the next scene? And why did they get out of the yacht so far from the island?

I wondered about that for second, but then I figured that he was out of tp in the bathroom. There was more on the ship, but he didn't have it with him. 

When Jeremy came near the gang-plank toilet, and I thought he was going to fall into the ocean.

10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

Okay, I'm a sucker. I laugh with delight at the kill-the-guest star moments. It's a cute little hallmark of the show. Fair-thee-well, Rear-Admiral

That was fantastic. I literally was "Jack Black!" then "OOOOooh." Carol's drawing of him was hilarious.

3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

As nice as it was to see Jeremy again, I thought having their reunion off-screen undercut the impact of the scene in Wiig's previous episode when he ran away from her. Maybe I'm just missing Downward Dog, but I was hoping for an episode showing Jeremy's solo travels before reuniting with Pamela. 

Awww, Downward Dog. I do miss you. Following Jeremy's solo travels would have been like Cheddar's on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Although her character is so self-centered and annoying to everyone, Wiig is a great addition to the show. I know lots of people are not a fan, but she's such a talented comedic actress.

Loved when Carol said, "Guess around I'll be seeing you." Her dedication to avoiding ending sentences with a preposition is admirable. 

• Love 7

I feel like they could've used those jet skis.

I know! What a bunch of idiots. Think how handy it would have been when they spotted the island - someone could have quickly jetted over there just to see if the place was habitable and jetted right back again. Clearly Tandy isn't the only moron on board.

Anyone know how many episodes Kristen Wiig is signed up for? Hard to imagine her sticking around for an entire season.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, butterbody said:

And why did they get out of the yacht so far from the island?

Probably to get away from Pamela as soon as possible; plus being able to row the dinghy would probably get them to the island more quickly than just driving the yacht there. :\

As for the TP thing, I figure maybe Tandy meant "ran out" like whatever was already in the bathroom had reached the end of the roll (and there was more stored elsewhere, but in the moment he only thought to use whatever clothes were handy rather than go looking for the remaining supply of TP). :D

Edited by GRChereck
59 minutes ago, GRChereck said:

Probably to get away from Pamela as soon as possible; plus being able to row the dinghy would probably get them to the island more quickly than just driving the yacht there. :\

As for the TP thing, I figure maybe Tandy meant "ran out" like whatever was already in the bathroom had reached the end of the roll (and there was more stored elsewhere, but in the moment he only thought to use whatever clothes were handy rather than go looking for the remaining supply of TP). :D

Ahhh that makes sense about the tp, and very typical of Tandy to just use whatever was around him. 

I believe you have to 'park' a boat some distance from land so you don't scrape the bottom on something, but it just seemed sooo far, and they did not yet know that Pamela was a psycho when they were getting in the dinghy. At least the decapitation of Pat ensured that he was not on his 9th life peering through the bushes at the end. Did not see it coming that he was having a romance with Pamela. Nice throwback to the decorated jeans.

I'm going to stop not picking. I love this show and I'm so glad it's back. Breast Milk White Russians for all!

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved when Carol said, "Guess around I'll be seeing you." Her dedication to avoiding ending sentences with a preposition is admirable. 

Except when it's annoying because she's confusing a preposition with another part of speech.  "Around" isn't a preposition in this case -- it's an adverb.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, butterbody said:

I believe you have to 'park' a boat some distance from land so you don't scrape the bottom on something, but it just seemed sooo far, and they did not yet know that Pamela was a psycho when they were getting in the dinghy.

No, but they did find her impossible to live with the way she was thoughtlessly burning through food (using Erica's breast milk to make alcoholic drinks, wasting a bag of chips so she could use the silver interior of the bag while sunning herself, etc.), as well as taking up a whole room for herself and (to Carol's great chagrin) aggressively flirting with Tandy.

I loved the Jack Black reveal and subsequent death. Very reminiscent of the Will Farrell cameo. Our gang is less fatal than the plague, but only marginally so. Whoever is hiding on that island might be better served running the other way. 

Tandy continues to be clueless, but entertainingly so. I have to assume that the rest of the gang let the jet ski thing happen because it wasn't worth the fight. I really enjoyed watching him play off of Kristen Wiig/Pamela. Whatever happens to Pamela, I hope her dog is okay. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 8:17 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Except when it's annoying because she's confusing a preposition with another part of speech.  "Around" isn't a preposition in this case -- it's an adverb.

Aw pish-posh. Her heart's in the right place, i.e., the funny place.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, amass said:

I know it was just a set up to the white russian joke but why in the world would erika be expressing and storing her breastmilk??

So that in case she wants to go out on the town, someone else can feed the baby? (just kidding)

• Love 1

Sometimes a woman overproduces milk and it's very uncomfortable not to pump it. Or if the baby is asleep for longer periods of time, such as at night, it gets difficult if one is engorged.
I'm surprised she even has an operational breast pump in the era of no electricity. Unless she got a manual pump at one of the defunct pharmacies.

Batteries? I have rechargeable batteries and I've seen solar chargers for them, though I currently use AC current for my charger. For me, the refrigeration is more of a question. I suppose they have propane or something like that, but on the boat...? I dunno?

Mostly I'm trying to handwave things like this because they've gotten less and less interested in the practical aspects of the situation and now are mostly focused on interpersonal drama. It's less interesting or enjoyable for me, but this seems to be the way the show has decided to go. Gilligan's Island with no hope of rescue.

Edited by possibilities
On 10/11/2017 at 6:49 PM, possibilities said:

Batteries? I have rechargeable batteries and I've seen solar chargers for them, though I currently use AC current for my charger. For me, the refrigeration is more of a question. I suppose they have propane or something like that, but on the boat...? I dunno?

Mostly I'm trying to handwave things like this because they've gotten less and less interested in the practical aspects of the situation and now are mostly focused on interpersonal drama. It's less interesting or enjoyable for me, but this seems to be the way the show has decided to go. Gilligan's Island with no hope of rescue.

I'm sure there's a generator on a yacht.