Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Sick

• Start Topic

OK, I am confused....the guy playing the girls’ Dad this episode is a totally different guy from a few episodes ago when Sam was heading out on the getaway weekend....when Sam dropped Duke off with a guy with a beard and Sam said she no longer hated him....all while Duke was outdide jumping on a trampoline. Who was that guy supposed to be? 

Edited by Liamsmom617
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think that other guy was her friend's ex. He was terrible as a spouse to her friend, so she hated him while they were married. But now that he's no longer hurting her friend, she's over it.

Thanks! 

On 10/7/2017 at 0:51 AM, scrb said:

Have the two older daughters ever come across well in this show?

Not that I've seen, but I missed the first season. Both older girls are either on the verge of tears or on the verge of outrage.

I liked the dad. He seemed like a "good" ex if there ever was one. And I loved her slamming the door on him. No need to bore me with the details of your life anymore once you're divorced. The middle girl really looks like the dad, who was engaged to Delia (and maybe even married her) on Girlfriend's Guide. (Hangs head in shame for watching too much TV.)

Edited by jennylauren123
  • Love 2

This episode was weird. Just a series or totally unrelated vignettes. And why was Frankie out with the deadbeat dad but not Duke? Why does Frankie need someone to 'put her to bed?' 

• Love 4

I'm pretty independent, relationship-wise, so I laughed at Sam's fear of a healthy relationship making her ill. I like the writing that explores relationship issues for older women who are mothers. (But I didn't like Sam chewing out her previous suitor in an earlier episode.)

The youngest actor did great work in the dead doggie scene.

• Love 2

I also thought it was weird about only one kid being out with dad. I thought it meant the kids had different fathers, but then later in the episode that seemed not to be so. I also didn't understand why the oldest daughter was so upset about the father being invited for dinner-- thought that might lead somewhere interesting, but then she got over it and seemed to only be upset it didn't happen more often? WTF??

Also, I agree that Frankie is way too old for being put to bed being typical, and especially when no one mentioned doing the same for the youngest, who might still be at an age where that's expected.

I used to like this show but this season every episode leaves me with gigantic ??????? and not in the intriguing way.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2017 at 0:24 PM, possibilities said:

Also, I agree that Frankie is way too old for being put to bed being typical, and especially when no one mentioned doing the same for the youngest, who might still be at an age where that's expected.

Sam asked her ex if he wanted to put Frankie or Duke to bed.  The way the fully-dressed Frankie was hanging out waiting for Sam to come up; does she need help getting changed, too?

Who put her to bed when Sam up and left to spend that weekend with Robin?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

I adore Deidrich Bader as Rich. What a great friend he is, and I loved his Shel Silverstein reference.

The lack of sadness or reaction over the poor dead pooch from the older two girls was disturbing. Duke's sobbing over him was the only normal reaction...the little actress was very good there.

The guy playing Sam's ex ALWAYS plays that kind of douche-y guy. I always kind of want to punch his face.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I used to like this show but this season every episode leaves me with gigantic ??????? and not in the intriguing way.

ITA, and I think the writers live in a world much different than the one I see every day. Very few things that Sam or her girls do and say, or the way they do and say them, make sense to me. It seems to come from the perspective of, "People can act any way they want, and no one has to fit anyone's expectations, so get over it" for the main stars of the show. Meanwhile, any character that expects any reaction to fit within social norms is painted as an asshole. It's getting old. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

I also thought it was weird about only one kid being out with dad.

I also didn't understand why the oldest daughter was so upset about the father being invited for dinner-- thought that might lead somewhere interesting, but then she got over it and seemed to only be upset it didn't happen more often? WTF??

13 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Sam asked her ex if he wanted to put Frankie or Duke to bed.  The way Frankie was hanging out waiting for Sam to come up while fully dressed, does she need help getting changed, too?

I didn't necessarily think it was that odd...that he was out with only one of his daughters.  Maybe the other two had different things going on?  Didn't want to go?  Who knows...

As far as the oldest being angry about the dad being invited to dinner, it just seemed like a teenager of divorce thing...she's mad he's there/mad he's not there.

In terms of the whole 'putting to bed' thing - I just took it as...Frankie was craving more time with her father and even though she is old enough to put herself to bed, it was just something that she may have wanted from her father since he is basically absent from her life.

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 2

I realize it's not real life but her friend ditching work to hang out with her and hear how she's scared because she likes some guy, was something you might do at 16 when you work at a burger place. . When you're in your 40's and you ditch work you might not be able to pay your mortgage. Not to mention that how juvenile it is to still be pushing people away when you like them. Sam in therapy would be nice. I'd love to see someone call her out for being high maintenance and childish.

I took the whole thing as the ex is a very bad parent.  After the episode I was thinking those girls love him but he only shows up on occasion when he isn't busy.  They are his afterthought.  When he was playing the piano and Sam was watching the girls with him she could see how much each of them loved him and were so comforted by his presence. 

I think his not coming into their lives often enough is why she slammed the door on him and that's why I loved it. 

• Love 2
On 10/7/2017 at 0:51 AM, scrb said:

Have the two older daughters ever come across well in this show?

AFAIK no, they haven't.  I pretty much want to slap both of them every week, although I did like Frankie in one scene in the premiere of this season (the one with the piano).

On 10/8/2017 at 4:32 AM, AllyB said:

This episode was weird. Just a series or totally unrelated vignettes. And why was Frankie out with the deadbeat dad but not Duke? Why does Frankie need someone to 'put her to bed?' 

Frankie being out with him alone didn't bother me.  My ex frequently took one or the other of our boys out, tailoring the day to their interests.  I didn't think it was weird at all.  Frankie telling Sam that she had invited him to dinner and not to be weird about it, not so much.  My boys knew better than to pull that with me, and my ex definitely knew that if he ignored my text telling him not to come in and said he was leaving it up to me, he would have been presented with a cheese sandwich and a cup of milk, not a glass of wine and whatever real food Sam was making for them.  I'm actually one of the lucky ones who always got along well with my ex, but he didn't push it.  He would get a real dinner when I invited him.

I also wondered about Frankie asking which one was putting her to bed...isn't she like 14?  

I also thought it was weird about only one kid being out with dad. I thought it meant the kids had different fathers, but then later in the episode that seemed not to be so. I also didn't understand why the oldest daughter was so upset about the father being invited for dinner-- thought that might lead somewhere interesting, but then she got over it and seemed to only be upset it didn't happen more often? WTF??

So first Max blames Sam for inviting Dad to dinner and not texting her, therefore making it awkward for her, and when Sam tries to explain that Frankie invited him, Max turns it around that it's still awkward for her because Sam doesn't invite him more often?  What?  And to that, Sam apologizes to her and tells her she's right?  God, no wonder those kids walk all over her.

Did Frankie call her Samwise at the end?  I really hope that's Sam's real name.

As far as the oldest being angry about the dad being invited to dinner, it just seemed like a teenager of divorce thing...she's mad he's there/mad he's not there.

Yeah, and that especially with regards to Max, Sam can't win. 

The father was SUCH an asshole. Sam was basically begging him not to come to dinner, and not only did he not oblige her, he turned it around and put her in the position to be the bad guy.