Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Who Are You?

In the series premiere, supermodel Adriana Lima and celebrity makeup artist Sir John challenge 12 hair and makeup artists to highlight their unique personalities through their work and prove why they deserve to be the first "American Beauty Star." Ta'Rhonda Jones joins as guest judge.

Promo:

Wow, what a bunch of divas, Face Off this isn’t.

Adriana Lima makes me think of Melania Trump, not loving that.

I don’t understand the teams, are the teammates competing also? Where did they come from?

I can’t remember everybody, but right now I do not like blond Asian guy & tattooed guy, I think they’re both assholes.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Catherine looks like Lindsey Lohan if she gained 75 pounds?

What is “Instagram skin”?

• Love 6

Not sure I am coming back to this one.  

Adriana Lima is terrible.   She has absolutely no inflection in her voice.   She cannot even banter.   Not sure if that is a personality thing or a language barrier thing, but she needs to go.

Not sure why the person who won - won.  They all FLOVED the one guy who put studs on his models face - but he didn’t win?  The person who won, they were like eh?

i hope the makeup artist that ruined that one girl realizes what she did.   You get one chance on TV and you show that your taste is questionable and you do not work well with others.   

I loved the cattiness between all the contestants.   

That was hysterical when all the guys were ticked at who won...

• Love 3

I'm sticking this one out because all the contestants are delusional and obnoxious. 

It's the perfect "hatewatch" replacement for Growing Up Supermodel.

I thought the brunette who complained incessantly to the judges would get the boot. Or maybe more like I had hoped that she would.

I didn't understand the winning look either because the judges had a tepid response.

I thought the East L.A. guy who did the glam/chola/whatever look should have won. I also thought the judges responded most positively to his look. 

Out of every other fashion competition show I've watched, there isn't a friendly contestant to be had in this bunch. 

I think Adriana's biggest problem is her command of English. Maybe that's why it seems like she has no inflection. She has a stilted way of communicating. Obviously if she were speaking in her native Portuguese, she'd feel more at it. Or maybe she's more of a reserved personality? 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

Almost every look was either fug or boring. I'm not sure how much of that I can blame on the ugly ass clothes that they had to choose from.

I was surprised that Andrew didn't win. His retro cholo look was polished but edgy and still pretty. It looked like something that would be seen on a Rihanna album cover. The judges all praised his look and didn't have any complaints about it.

Catherine the ex-cop was a mess during judging. Why was she talking about being a cop or teaching religion to seventh graders? WTF does that have to do with the makeup she did?

I agree that Adriana Lima's lack of inflect makes her sound flat and uninterested. Although she has beautiful eyes and a very intense look, I never liked her as a model because she always looked so angry in her photos. She looks better in person and she still looks good but I wish whoever does her hair would realize that just because her hair is straight doesn't mean it always has to be slicked back, pulled back into a ponytail, or plastered down with gel.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one.  There is definitely something off about this show (or maybe a few things lol).

The setup is so confusing with the teammates.  I wish they would have allowed the contestants to bring their own "teammate" or maybe have the contestants pair up with each other for challenges.  Or maybe just focus on one skill set: hair or make up (when I initially saw the title, I thought this was a make up only competition series).

Also, I wish they had done more to standardize the challenge.  Maybe they could have the models wear the same outfit?  Or maybe they could have a separate "technical" challenge just focused on the hair and make up (a la Face Off) and then do a main challenge where the contestants can have more control over the styling?

Also, are they trying to make Adriana Lima vs Russell James a thing?  Or was she actually pissed at him and not trying to ruin her reputation/brand?

Finally, why did we have two contestants eliminated?  Is this going to happen each week?  This so confusing!

• Love 3

I agree that the concept of the teammates wasn't very clear at first. I thought that Adriana was springing the teammates on them like "Surprise! There are twice as many contestants!" But now it seems like the teammates are the B team who are just there to do the thing that the actual contestant doesn't specialize in.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Catherine the ex-cop was a mess during judging. Why was she talking about being a cop or teaching religion to seventh graders? WTF does that have to do with the makeup she did?

She's been watching too many of these shows and thought it would be wise to concoct a sob story in advance. 

I don't remember Miami guy's name (David?), but something about him bugs me. I can't put my finger on it though. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

don't remember Miami guy's name (David?), but something about him bugs me. I can't put my finger on it though. 

Heh, was it his tight unbuttoned shirt that annoyed you? Ever since Mr. EB noticed that Quentin Lance on Arrow was fond of leaving the top several buttons on his shirt unbuttoned while working at the police station, he now refers to unbuttoned dress shirts as interrogation shirts. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heh, was it his tight unbuttoned shirt that annoyed you? Ever since Mr. EB noticed that Quentin Lance on Arrow was fond of leaving the top several buttons on his shirt unbuttoned while working at the police station, he now refers to unbuttoned dress shirts as interrogation shirts. 

That annoyed me, but there was something about his manner of speaking that rubbed me the wrong way. 

Ha! @ Mr. EB. I have a new phrase "interrogation shirts."

I shouldn't be surprised that the behind-the-scenes fashion folks are more obnoxious and assholish than the front-of-the-camera folks. Although I suppose one could argue that the more visible members and their attitudes are why the others are the way they are.

Edited by Surrealist
18 hours ago, GaT said:

Wow, what a bunch of divas, Face Off this isn’t.

Adriana Lima makes me think of Melania Trump, not loving that.

I don’t understand the teams, are the teammates competing also? Where did they come from?

I can’t remember everybody, but right now I do not like blond Asian guy & tattooed guy, I think they’re both assholes.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Catherine looks like Lindsey Lohan if she gained 75 pounds?

What is “Instagram skin”?

I had the same question, what is instagram skin? 

6 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I would have said it was the gross, crisco skin they all seemed to have, but that wasn't anything the judges mentioned, so I guess not... I actually found it interesting that that photographed a lot nicer and more matte than it appeared IRL. 

In any case, since that wasn't it, I got nothin'. Ooh, except I got a total David Gest vibe from the dude in the Interrogation Shirt. My goodness, all these people are odd...

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

It's unnaturally "perfect skin," either achieved through the use of heavy coats of full-coverage makeup (foundation, concealer, and powder), and/or photo filters. There are photo apps which can smooth the skin (removing wrinkles, bumps, etc.) and those that will give the photo the appearance of a perfectly even skin-tone (no more hyperpigmentation, freckles, etc.).  The problem is when "Instagram skin" achieved through the use of makeup is viewed in person, the skin tends to look flat, and very mask-like. It's those "imperfections" that many believe can be distracting in photographs/on film that make our skin look alive when we're seen in real life. To be fair, it is true imperfections can be a distraction in photographs and/or on film, due to HD cameras. HD does make flaws more obvious.

The challenge for all makeup artists is to balance the two and apply makeup so the client looks good both in photographs and in person.

• Love 6

Adriana should have called Camilla Alves to get some tips on how to be a more engaging and natural show host when you have a prominent accent.  Camilla was a little stiff in the beginning of hosting "Shear Genius" season 3, but by the end I thought she was great.  I miss that show, and Tabitha Coffee.  

I'm already in love with both Mitchell and Andrew.  Just remembering their names without looking them up proves it.  *LOL*  

I like watching these shows with all things girly, even though I am most definitely NOT, so I'm good with staying on board.  For now. 

• Love 4

I just don't know if I can watch this after the series premiere.  The host is lovely to look at but painful to watch and the premise is ludicrously convoluted.  Half of them are makeup artists and half of them are hair stylists and they're randomly paired with another non-competing artist or stylist?  And other than a very broad guideline there are no other parameters to create a somewhat fair competition?  And how does the hair styling work going forward - some of them were cutting the model's hair so by the end of the competition are they all just going to end up with crew cuts?  What would have made much more sense was a show featuring just make up artists who are given models with identical wigs and wardrobe themes each episode and asked to create a corresponding beauty look.  I'm really disappointed so far as I was actually looking forward to this show.

• Love 2

I totally thought that too!  It was almost distracting to me.

This show was a bit of a trainwreck, but as I love all things reality competition, I'll probably stick it out until the end.

• Love 2

I'm definitely not coming back for more of this crapfest, but at least  "Don't push my but tons!" (much like "Here go Hell come") will be my new reality show saying to have and to hold forevermore.  I can't be mad about that.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

I'm definitely not coming back for more of this crapfest, but at least  "Don't push my but tons!" (much like "Here go Hell come") will be my new reality show saying to have and to hold forevermore.  I can't be mad about that.

Ha, so it wasn't a complete waste of an hour!

• Love 1
On 9/23/2017 at 6:31 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

It's unnaturally "perfect skin," either achieved through the use of heavy coats of full-coverage makeup (foundation, concealer, and powder), and/or photo filters. There are photo apps which can smooth the skin (removing wrinkles, bumps, etc.) and those that will give the photo the appearance of a perfectly even skin-tone (no more hyperpigmentation, freckles, etc.).  The problem is when "Instagram skin" achieved through the use of makeup is viewed in person, the skin tends to look flat, and very mask-like. It's those "imperfections" that many believe can be distracting in photographs/on film that make our skin look alive when we're seen in real life. To be fair, it is true imperfections can be a distraction in photographs and/or on film, due to HD cameras. HD does make flaws more obvious.

The challenge for all makeup artists is to balance the two and apply makeup so the client looks good both in photographs and in person.

I've used a couple of those kinds of apps. For fun. And the results creeped me out a bit. I'm not sure I'd be able to achieve the in photo/in person look without a ton of practice.

This show is kind of odd.

On 9/23/2017 at 7:12 AM, leighdear said:

I like watching these shows with all things girly, even though I am most definitely NOT, so I'm good with staying on board.  For now. 

Same. I have no idea why these kinds of shows appeal to me, but I tune in to most of them. 

• Love 3

Yeah...I don't know about this show. There were a lot of things that annoyed me. If The next episode isn't better, I'm out.

Adriana isn't a natural at this. She can strut the runway all day in a bra and panties, winking and blowing kisses left and right, but speaking roles aren't for her. Attention models: Heidi Klum is an exception. Her success on tv should not be taken as proof that any successful model can also host a tv show. It could be language, it could be personality, it could be nerves, or some combination thereof, but her stilted, awkward delivery was painful to watch. I'm giving Adrianna  one week to get it together.

I hated that they didn't really explain the teammates. Will everyone have the same teammates and models next week? How are they assigned? If the teammates don't have to face the judges, they shouldn't have any say in the overall look. They need to just listen to the contestant's vision and do their best to complement/contribute to it, not do whatever the hell they want.

The mentor was bad too. He seemed bored, and his comments were useless. "Illuminate her skin." "I'm concerned about the instagram skin." "Keep doing your thing." Reminding them to use the sponsors' products when everyone was pretty much finished was especially pointless. I get that we're supposed to be impressed by his Beyonce connection, but he had even less to say and less charisma than Adriana, and then when time was up, he just said "ok buh bye then" and walked out. That's a guy getting paid to do nothing but wear a red suit.

Also hated that they only had an hour to meet the teammate, figure out a look, execute it, pretend to be impressed by the photographer, and have pointless convo with Sir Redpants. Would it have killed them to give them an extra hour?

But what I hated most of all was the runway. It was literally 75 seconds long. When it was over, I was like "That's It? You're kidding me," and backed it up so I could see how long it was. Total duration: one minute 15 seconds. That was bull. And that little runway walk Adriana did before sitting down with the judges was so unnecessary. We know she's a model. We dont need to see her trot out her runway walk every week.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 4

WOW! What a shit show! Having said that I'll be taping and watching. I like any show where people compete (Survivor, top chef, project runway, etc.) but they really need to do some fine tuning on this.

1- Why not team up the contestants that do hair with the ones who do make up? Switch them out every week for the first few weeks then go into Your On Your Own to do both hair and makeup when enough people are gone.

2-Why are we even doing hair and makeup BOTH? I do, loved Shear Genius because all they did was hair! They cut wigs, they cut real hair, they styled. It was fun.

3-Put all the models in the same black t's and slacks so we aren't distracted by the clothes.

4-Send the models out in costume and everyone has to create a look for the costume.

4-Dump the "helpers" If they aren't part of the competition they need to GO.

5-Make the runway more than 1 damn minute! All that work and you blinked and you missed seeing it. 

6-Do the Close Up looks like they do on PR , and Face Off. I love the discussions of the judges and often wish we could get the FULL tape of what they say. Bet it's really fascinating. And it might explain why the Wow look lost but the EHH look won. 

• Love 2