Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Episode Three

paulvdb

Matt leverages his newfound celebrity to get a new series guaranty from the network. Convinced that his best chance for success lies with Sean and Beverly, he tries to woo the reluctant Brits away from Tim. Meanwhile, Carol hits rock bottom but finds solace in the most unlikely of places.

So we're finally getting Sean and Bev back together with Matt. But Matt's dog idea sounded really bad. I hope they can come up with something better. It was funny at the end with the lama behind Sean and Bev.

I'm afraid Bev and Sean departing Opposite of us isn't going to go that smooth. There's some big troubles coming up for them.

As I said, I love Mircea Monroe. But the relationship with Merc seems too forced. If there's not a natural way to bring her back, she shouldn't come back.. Merc could've had completely new character as her girlfriend and it wouldn't make a difference for the plot. I don't think Morning and Carol have ever shared a scene, so there's no "you cheat me with my friend?" thing going on.

But I gotta say, Kathleen Rose Perkins just gets more and more beautiful. She was drop dead gorgeous when she and Merc were sitting on the floor.

• Love 2

It's easy to forget this show is even on after a two year hiatus (!) and then a one week break after only 2 episodes. I loved Matt explaining the viral video to his kids (always look for the camera!) I agree the way they brought back Morning doesn't feel very organic. 

I wonder if Sean and Bev are actually able to just walk away from their show or if there are some contractual obligations involved. 

• Love 1

Here's my prediction: after the whole season of trying to figure out what Matt's new show should be, it will turn out to be the one we've been watching. 

I laugh out loud at this show all the time. 

Know where the cameras are is pretty good life advice, actually. 

I'm still flummoxed by how meta it is seeing "Matt LeBlanc" pitching crappy, tiresome, worn-out show ideas to Sean, when the real life Matt LeBlanc is currently starring one of the crappiest, most tiresome and pedestrian sitcoms ever, "Man with a Plan." Does the real life Matt LeBlanc even see the irony? Does he not care? As far as I know he did zero promoting for this season of Episodes. 

• Love 3

The entire interaction between Carol and Merc had me going 'God, this is actually really charming... are they trying to make Merc super likable?' and then the stuff with Morning happened and all was right in my world again. Things were really off-kilter there for a moment. Still, they were just kind of fun. The dialog about his mother and their interaction with that was just stellar.

I don't think Beverly is too far off in suggesting a lawsuit to Carol. I mean, some thing has to happen there, doesn't it?

How delightful was it to have Sean unload on Tim... including throwing falafel at him. And even the stuff with how sorry he was because he really felt they could have created something good if Tim hadn't been forced into it. And, let's be real, every interaction we've seen of Tim shows how insufferably horrible he is in every conceivable way. I also admit that Sean saying that Amanda deserved to get stuck because of her gluten obsession was funny. I have family members who have to cut out gluten due to allergies but those who cut it out of their diet and then act like they've gained super powers... I'm with Sean on this one is what I'm saying.

And I fucking LOVED Sean's advice to Matt about cutting out the various pitches with specific parameters. That was awesome.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, RedMal said:

I'm afraid Bev and Sean departing Opposite of us isn't going to go that smooth. There's some big troubles coming up for them.

It was a great scene though. I assumed that they can't just walk out, like maybe they could buy themselves out of the contract, and basically would work on Matt's show for free. Then again, Bev was the one talking about hostile work environment. Maybe they can sue. 

I really liked the scene with Shawn and Matt: "Cross out divorced; reluctantly, etc." If you have to realize something by the end of the pilot then you have no show. 

I really want their show to be good. Actually, critically good, but not ratings good. I think Shawn was right in saying Matt needs to go something no one would expect. 

3 hours ago, whiporee said:

Here's my prediction: after the whole season of trying to figure out what Matt's new show should be, it will turn out to be the one we've been watching. 

That's brilliant. 

The llama cameo was just ridiculously dumb but hilarious. I do like that the show isn't explaining the Box at all. There's a mime. Now there's a llama. That one dude was sitting in a chair reading a book, so he must have been doing good. 

• Love 3

I did wonder what happened to Danica (the box girl).

I also like how some of the other Box people are the same from one episode to another.  Book and chair guy has been doing well but racking up the enmity for a while, it seems.

I didn't like how well Merc was able to get back with Carol, but then I realized that for their thing to last as long as it did, it must have been more than toilet sex and humiliation for Carol.  I liked the touch that she obviously knew his parents pretty well and what they were like.  But I'm glad Merc was being a selfish jerk again by the end.  I figure Morning is just trying to use his cachet with The Box to boost her own career.  She knows what he's like, but she's shown that sex is a business transaction for her at least at time (birthday presents?).  

I want Sean and Bev away from Tim so much...but I'm afraid Episode 3 is too early to have good things...

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Does the real life Matt LeBlanc even see the irony? Does he not care?

It is a steady paycheck and it keeps LeBlanc (real life) "active". Out of sight out of mind. 

Didn't Lyman's Boys win a BAFTA? I want to see them be able to do another quality show. 

• Love 1

Lyman's Boys was also completely different in all ways from Pucks.  So judging it by Pucks is pretty unfair.

And what's with the Christmas music at the end during closing credits and the preview?

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1

The band is getting back together!

I really liked this episode. Less Box, less Tim. . .

I feel really bad for Carol. Merc really was charming and for a moment I thought she might actually be developing a relationship with someone other than someone who is her superior at work. Then Merc showed he's still Merc.

20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I loved Matt explaining the viral video to his kids (always look for the camera!)

That scene was a great example of one of my favorite themes in the show. Matt LeBlanc convincingly playing a "Matt" who is both considerate and obnoxious, often in alternating sentences.

• Love 1

The ex wife in the background waving the knife around and being exasperated really rounded out the scene.

I kind of wanted one of the kids to make a crack at Matt's penis being so huge. Like, is mine going to get that big? We can only hope, kid. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Lyman's Boys was also completely different in all ways from Pucks.  So judging it by Pucks is pretty unfair.

And what's with the Christmas music at the end during closing credits and the preview?

sorry sorry I MEANT Pucks and couldn't think of the name... yes Lyman's Boys was meant to be good... in a History Boys kind of way (I still laugh at Matt knowing that and his disgust at their surprise he knew... it's those touches that MAKE this show!)

Yes, Sean's cross this and that out was fast and whip smart. Made me think! falafel throwing was genius.

The thing about Sean's scene with Matt was that it was very pointed and insider, so when new shows come out irl, I'm going to remember it. The scene also showed that Sean actually knows what he's doing.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ganesh said:

The llama cameo was just ridiculously dumb but hilarious. I do like that the show isn't explaining the Box at all. There's a mime. Now there's a llama. That one dude was sitting in a chair reading a book, so he must have been doing good. 

The llama was awesome.  I had to rewind to watch it again.  The facial expressions and the ears going up and down.  I don't know why I thought it was so hilarious, but I did.

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

The ex wife in the background waving the knife around and being exasperated really rounded out the scene.

I love the ex-wife.  She always seems so level headed.  What I also really like, is that she is very pretty, but not in a bombshell, sex kitten kind of way.  Show-Matt is usually portrayed as extremely shallow, so it's nice to think that once upon a time, he could see past the "obvious" types of women to date and later marry her.

• Love 2

I loved how one of the best jokes was that Lyman's boys probably sucked.

Lyman's Boys was a big hit in the UK but it's probably something that wouldn't translate very well to American television. Even if Sean and Bev had been able to do the show their own way I'm not sure it would have been a success. The concept sounds uniquely British. The had the original actor do a reading in the pilot episode and he wasn't really all that funny - the network suits weren't really getting the joke and I don't think your average Joe six-pack would either. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Lyman's Boys was a big hit in the UK but it's probably something that wouldn't translate very well to American television. Even if Sean and Bev had been able to do the show their own way I'm not sure it would have been a success. The concept sounds uniquely British. The had the original actor do a reading in the pilot episode and he wasn't really all that funny - the network suits weren't really getting the joke and I don't think your average Joe six-pack would either. 

He was hilarious until he tried an American accent. That's what made his audition so sad.

I LOVE the ex-wife. I think she's gorgeous-- remember the rubber dress? but can look natural and down to earth too. I love her foul mouth and practicality. It's really a shame Matt blew it so badly when they were getting back together because they had a rapport.

Similarly I loved Merc and Carol this episode-- we only ever saw her being waaaay too nice to him because she wanted a ring on her finger. I had hopes that now their relationship might have a different dynamic but for some bizarre reason he's still a dick.

• Love 1

I don't think there's much "logic" behind The Box other than you can either a.) torture another contestant with a punishment or b.) give yourself luxuries. Which you choose depends on what kind of player you are. So there are an increasing number of "punishments," like forcing another contestant to spend all day listening to Gilbert Gottfried, or listening to a 10-year old play bad violin. Putting a llama in the box with them would just be another punishment. I don't think there's a lot of intricacy behind the game aside from "last man standing" - sort of like any other reality show, except that instead of voting each other out, the contestants try to make the other ones quit and give up.

4 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

yes Lyman's Boys was meant to be good... in a History Boys kind of way (I still laugh at Matt knowing that and his disgust at their surprise he knew... it's those touches that MAKE this show!)

I didn't remember the History Boys reference, so I googled to find the source. This may have been mentioned before, but I was surprised to find that Episodes cast the lead actor in the movie History Boys to play the actor who was the lead in Lyman's Boys.

In one of the episodes in the first season Matt gives them a hard time about how their show is kind of like History Boys. It was hilarious that they were so surprised he knew it and that he basically backed them into a corner into admitting that yep, it was kind of History Boys.

On 9/11/2017 at 3:49 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm still flummoxed by how meta it is seeing "Matt LeBlanc" pitching crappy, tiresome, worn-out show ideas to Sean, when the real life Matt LeBlanc is currently starring one of the crappiest, most tiresome and pedestrian sitcoms ever, "Man with a Plan." Does the real life Matt LeBlanc even see the irony? Does he not care? As far as I know he did zero promoting for this season of Episodes. 

Unfortunately, I don't think Episodes has gotten a lot of acclaim or notice.  Probably not huge ratings and it doesn't pay enough that Leblanc would pass on more lucrative projects.

Maybe if it was getting him acclaim like Veep does for Julia LD.  Or even the acclaim that Lisa Kudrow got for her HBO show, as short-lived as it was.

Ah good point.  But I guess for Matt, better-paying projects is more important than acclaim.

It sounds though like the producers or show runners were done with the show too.

To be honest, after Sean and Bev throw in with Matt one more time, there's probably no more stories left.  At some point, they're going to become too jaded to be shocked any more by Matt's narcissism.

Maybe Leblanc isn't as financially set, even though the Friends cast got ridiculous money the last couple of seasons.

Or maybe like Matt in this show, he's got expensive habits -- private jet, exotic car collection, etc.

Sigh, why can't Carol have nice things?! Give the poor girl a break for once!

And the agent from hell is back! I totally forgot she is also now the agent for Tim. Her phone call last year of "pretending" she was driving into a tunnel and so she cut off Sean and Bev was still one of the most hilarious things this show has done.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3
On 9/11/2017 at 6:49 PM, iMonrey said:

On 9/11/2017 at 11:24 PM, ganesh said:

It is a steady paycheck and it keeps LeBlanc (real life) "active". Out of sight out of mind. 

On 9/13/2017 at 1:08 PM, wendyg said:

EPISODES has gotten LeBlanc four Emmy nominations. It's probably *why* he is on TOP GEAR in the UK and MAN WITH A PLAN

On 9/13/2017 at 2:08 PM, scrb said:

Ah good point.  But I guess for Matt, better-paying projects is more important than acclaim.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:25 PM, ganesh said:

I don't know if better paying is the motivation as much as steady work and being visible. 

On 9/13/2017 at 3:15 PM, scrb said:

Maybe Leblanc isn't as financially set, even though the Friends cast got ridiculous money the last couple of seasons.

On 9/13/2017 at 4:19 PM, wendyg said:

Or maybe he just *likes to work*. Some people do. :)

Or we're missing the obvious answer - Man With a Plan started out as a brilliant, hilarious, uniquely original show. Then it got destroyed by network executives.

And then they got Matt LeBlanc.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:45 PM, MorganSte said:

When Matt was talking to his boys, I was wondering how they were able to see that video.  Who's watching what they do on the computer?  The ex-wife who blamed Matt?

His ex-wife had briefly mentioned that boys from school were watching it and showed it to them. Kids their age all have cell phones these days anyway.