Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

Catchy Comedy binges for September. Nothing new here, all stuff that has been binged before - 9/2-3: The Bob Newhart Show/Bob/Newhart; 9/9-10: My 3 Sons; 9/16-17: Our Miss Brooks; 9/23-24: Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:38 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I'd have lunch with Cannon, but he ate all the food.

Speaking of which, I was reading a really excellent article looking back on The Fugitive (the article was in a back issue of the magazine put out by the Film Noir Foundation, run by Eddie Muller of TCM's Noir Alley), and it mentioned, which I don't think I knew, that William Conrad provided the dramatic voice-over/narration for that show.  Interesting "six degrees" I guess you could say.

12 hours ago, roseha said:

Speaking of which, I was reading a really excellent article looking back on The Fugitive (the article was in a back issue of the magazine put out by the Film Noir Foundation, run by Eddie Muller of TCM's Noir Alley), and it mentioned, which I don't think I knew, that William Conrad provided the dramatic voice-over/narration for that show.  Interesting "six degrees" I guess you could say.

If you watch the show, and are familiar with "Cannon", you can recognize Conrad's voice.

• Like 2

Am I the only one watching 1960s Ironside on GET TV?
This is my first time watching.
I just saw 2.4 "The Sacrifice," first aired Oct 3, 1968, the only Ironside episode written by Gerald Sanford — about whom I don’t see much online. 
The episode descriptions just note:

Mark's eyewitness account casts suspicion of murder on a veteran police detective. When his alibi is disproved by Ironside, the sergeant stops at nothing to find someone who will confess to the crime.

imdb.com/title/tt0612492/plotsummary

and:

A policeman friend of Ironside and the team is the prime suspect in a murder investigation. Is he really guilty, though, or is the evidence just a little too damning?

themoviedb.org/tv/4582-ironside/season/2/episode/4

But

Spoiler

the the murder victim was killed because he had performed an abortion that caused a patient’s death; he was part of a so-called national ring performing illegal abortions. The dead patient was the daughter of the accused murderer, who was a police friend of Ironside’s. The real murderer was the son of Ironside’s police friend.

I am confused about what the agenda or viewpoint was of the writer, and can’t find any discussion on Reddit or Moviechat.org or anywhere.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Am I the only one watching 1960s Ironside on GET TV?

I'm not watching because I'm pissed GetTV replaced my lunchtime noon date with my boyfriend James Garner on The Rockford Files. I do remember watching it a few times years ago.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't have GetTV.

The episode I mentioned (Ironside 2.4 "The Sacrifice"), first aired Oct 3, 1968, script by Gerald Sanford) is also available here: https://archive.org/details/ironsides02/Ironside+S02e03+The+Sacrifice.mpeg4

I was 15 then. The episode has (to me) a weird take on abortion, even for that time.

Right now I’m watching another Ironside episode, also Season 2, “Split Second to an Epitaph,” in which

Spoiler

a minor side-plot has a similarly weird (to me) focus on a social issue of the 1960s (marriage), which winds up having to do with the legalities of child custody of an orphaned newborn, pre-DNA paternity testing.
But like with the abortion story in the following episode, it’s not clear if the message is pro-conservative about social issues, or demonstrating the legal cruelties incurred by not conforming to conservative social morés (marriage, in the episode), or something more complex.🤷🏻‍♀️

Anyway, if you don’t have GetTV, the Internet Archive has at least these seasons of Ironside:

On 9/13/2023 at 2:19 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm not watching because I'm pissed GetTV replaced my lunchtime noon date with my boyfriend James Garner on The Rockford Files. I do remember watching it a few times years ago.

Now you can watch him for dinner at 7 & 8 CST.

• Like 1

I see on my on-screen guide that GetTV has changed its name to get.

OT: What is up with the show Blue Bloods? I'd never heard of it until it started showing up on every other channel. Did they have a bargain basement sale on airing rights?

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I see on my on-screen guide that GetTV has changed its name to get.

OT: What is up with the show Blue Bloods? I'd never heard of it until it started showing up on every other channel. Did they have a bargain basement sale on airing rights?

It's been on CBS for 13 seasons.  I think CBS sells all their drama shows to various entities.

I think BB is on ION,WE and Sundance as is NCIS and possibly the Law & Orders

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've only ever seen the occasional episode of "NCIS", and that's where I know him from, but yeah, it's been great reading all the tributes pouring in from everyone. Sounds like he was a lovely man and had quite a nice, long career. Can't ask for a better legacy than that to leave behind. 

May he rest in peace. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

The Catchy Comedy binges are going old-timey for October. And, unlike Decades, no acknowledgment of Halloween, with Lucy inhabiting that weekend: 9/30-10/1 - The Abbott & Costello Show; 10/7-8 - Laurel and Hardy; 10/14-15 - The Little Rascals; 10/21-22 - The Three Stooges; 10/28 - The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour; 10/29 - I Love Lucy; 11/4-5 - The Lucy Show.

• Like 1

For some reason, for the last month and a half or so H&I has been running almost exclusively Bart episodes in "Maverick" run. I wonder if they are saving the Bret for some reason?

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Gah! It's only October 8 and I am tired of MeTV's MONTH.LONG. Boonanza.

I didn't notice that they've run The Dick van Dyke Show "The Ghost of A. Chantz" episode.

• Like 1

Some upcoming Catchy Comedy binges, starting with a couple of weekends of Norman Lear mash-ups: 11/11-12 - All in the Family/Sanford and Son; 11/18-19 - All in the Family/Good Times; 11/25-26 - The Brady Bunch; 12/2-3 - Petticoat Junction.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Some upcoming Catchy Comedy binges, starting with a couple of weekends of Norman Lear mash-ups: 11/11-12 - All in the Family/Sanford and Son; 11/18-19 - All in the Family/Good Times; 11/25-26 - The Brady Bunch; 12/2-3 - Petticoat Junction.

Really, we don't need any of those binged.

INSP has brought back "Daniel Boone" on Sundays.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, shapeshifter said:

We were discussing closed captioning on another thread, but I can't find it?

Anyway, I missed the denouement of a Perry Mason episode that aired this morning on MeTV, 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara," so I was able to find it on FreeVee and Pluto (apps on my Roku TVs). 
I too always use closed captioning, and was surprised to see at about the 45 minute mark on both FreeVee and Pluto:

• [VYACHESLAV GERZNOV] She never told me about this bullshit Dorrow

which was a miss-translation for:

• [VYACHESLAV GERZNOV] She never told me about this Bolshevik Dorrow

Character Gerznov was played by Russian émigré and character actor Leonid Kinskey, whose accent may have confused the transcriber (human or machine) and/or "Bolshevik" was not in the word list used by the transcriber.

I guess it will be many months before it airs again on MeTV, so I won't get to see how it is transcribed into closed captions there. 😒

On 7/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Requoting you here @shapeshifter to let you know that MeTV is up to season 7, so I’d say within the next  couple of months, this episode will air and you can see if the closed captioning makes the same mistake as freevee/Pluto or not! I’ll make sure to pay attention too!

I've only been watching Perry Mason on MeTV at 9am and just noticed MeTV aired 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara" last night, and I missed it, so I didn't get to see how they captioned Leonid Kinskey's heavily accented "Bolshevik." 
Too bad. Maybe I'll catch it in the a.m. airing, which is 175 episodes from now,🙃or, at 5 episodes per week, 35 weeks, which would be July 3, 2024.
😵

Edited by shapeshifter
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I've only been watching Perry Mason on MeTV at 9am and just noticed MeTV aired 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara" last night, and I missed it, so I didn't get to see how they captioned Leonid Kinskey's heavily accented "Bolshevik." 
Too bad. Maybe I'll catch it in the a.m. airing, which is 175 episodes from now,🙃or, at 5 episodes per week, 35 weeks, which would be July 3, 2024.
😵

I confirmed what was said in the show’s thread.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Did get only buy the rights to air a handful of Nichols and Bret Maverick? Considering how many episodes were made, they keep showing the same handful every weekend.

There was some OTA station out of Chicago that used to show only 2 or 3 seasons out of 5 or 6 season shows, including The Listener and Numb3rs.
It really bugged me.
But then, in the last year or so, when another station here out of Rochester NY started showing the episodes I'd missed, I felt like I'd hit the jackpot. 😆🤣

Anyway, yes, it is weird. And annoying.
Maybe whatever entity owns the rights gives the OTA station a big price break on a limited number of episodes in hopes that they'll decide there are enough viewers to warrant buying the whole package?

So, @chessiegal, since Nichols and Bret Maverick are only one season each, if they only got partial access, that could be just "a handful" of episodes. 🫤
It looks like the entire season of Bret Maverick is available for free on Tubi, which is available as an app on a Roku TV, or at tubitv.com.

Catchy Comedy will have The Dick Van Dyke Show as the binge for 12/9-10. For the weekend of 12/16-17, it's all Christmas episodes of different shows. A nice mix of sitcoms and variety shows, all thrown together, with the holidays as the uniting theme, an interesting concept. Although, I don't know why it isn't being run on the weekend of 12/23-24. The two days before Christmas will feature Carol Burnett and Friends

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Catchy Comedy will have The Dick Van Dyke Show as the binge for 12/9-10. For the weekend of 12/16-17, it's all Christmas episodes of different shows. A nice mix of sitcoms and variety shows, all thrown together, with the holidays as the uniting theme, an interesting concept. Although, I don't know why it isn't being run on the weekend of 12/23-24. The two days before Christmas will feature Carol Burnett and Friends

Is WKRP in Cincinnati's "Turkeys Away" episode playing?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Is WKRP in Cincinnati's "Turkeys Away" episode playing?

Nope, no WKRP at all, though there were a couple of good Christmas episodes. But there is stuff like The Flying Nun and ALF.  A real mixed bag. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Nope, no WKRP at all, though there were a couple of good Christmas episodes. But there is stuff like The Flying Nun and ALF.  A real mixed bag. 

There should be a law requiring the playing of "Turkey's Away" on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Well crap. I got an email from Verizon saying they are having a dispute with Hearst over pricing, and if they don't come to an agreement by December 8 I'll be losing MeTV.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am counting down the days until Verizon FiOs is activated here, so I can FINALLY dump Comcrap! I NEED my Perry Mason!!!!

• Hugs 1
On 12/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Looks like INSP will be running "Alias Smith and Jones" overnight on Saturdays.

Checking, they are running "Alias Smith & Jones" late nights Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.  I guess its better than nothing.

20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Well crap. I got an email from Verizon saying they are having a dispute with Hearst over pricing, and if they don't come to an agreement by December 8 I'll be losing MeTV.

We lost the cable version of local channel WGN (an over-the-air station)  for more than a month over one of these pricing disputes.

• Like 1

We used to get 2 MeTV channels, one out of DC and our current channel out of Baltimore. We lost the DC channel several years ago because of a pricing dispute. That sucks because the Baltimore MeTV doesn't air all the MeTV content, including Ed Sullivan.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:01 AM, chessiegal said:

Fingers crossed - it's December 8 and we still have MeTV. I hope that means Verizon's dispute with Hearst is over.

Quoting myself because Verizon and Hearst reached an agreement. All is right with the world.

• Applause 1