Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Cozi TV's going to start running "Monk" in Oct.  "Monk" is already on 2 or 3 channels.  There's so many other shows they could run. :(

Any idea what show Monk is replacing? Silver lining for me, I'll have some Monk to watch when Hallmark Movies & Mysteries starts running nothing but Christmas drivel from the end of October to January.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Any idea what show Monk is replacing? Silver lining for me, I'll have some Monk to watch when Hallmark Movies & Mysteries starts running nothing but Christmas drivel from the end of October to January.

I was thinking maybe one Emergency and one Quincy unless they are eliminating their evening sitcom block.  The other possiblity is adding to the weekend schedule.

Edited by Tom Holmberg

I found this on-line.

Starting Monday, October 3, COZI TV will be expanding their series catalog by adding new shows Bones, Las Vegas, and Monk to their weekly schedules. The new additions of Monk and Bones will air Monday through Friday between 2 PM and 8 PM ET 

Bu bye Fran Drescher.

Looks like Fran will be staying, though trimmed back. Starting weekdays on 10/3, The Nanny will air from 11 p.m.-12 a.m. (all times Eastern). Also cut to an hour, Gimme A Break (4-5 a.m.), and 3rd Rock (3-4 a.m.). 

Monk will run from 2-5 p.m., Bones from 5-8 p.m., and Las Vegas from 12-3 a.m.

Little House on the Prairie and Amen are being dropped.

I am ticked at Decades. Newhart was nearing the series end, and I was looking forward to the end when Newhart wakes up next to Suzanne and says he had the weirdest dream about running an inn. I see today they are skipping the finale and running the Pilot this afternoon. With MTM, they skipped the finale, and yesterday started airing episodes towards the end of season 1. What crappy programing!

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

Why do they bother showing the pilot if they won’t show the finale?  

I haven’t seen the finale in ages, I’m not even sure if it’s been re-aired much.  I did record it when it originally aired, I’ll have to look for it sometime.  

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I am ticked at Decades. Newhart was nearing the series end, and I was looking forward to the end when Newhart wakes up next to Suzanne and says he had the weirdest dream about running an inn. I see today they are skipping the finale and running the Pilot this afternoon. With MTM, they skipped the finale, and yesterday started airing episodes towards the end of season 1. What crappy programing!

I wonder if it’s a streaming thing? I know before my provider finally got Decades, I was watching I Love Lucy but wasn’t getting all the episodes that were airing on cable. On cable, ALL the episodes have aired. Then again, stoopid MeTV+ didn’t air the pilot of TJ Hooker, which I wanted to see, just for the last scene where Hooker tells Romano that he’s gonna be Hooker’s partner.  But noooooo, it starts with episode 2!🤬🤬🤬🤬

4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

60 years ago today Johnny Carson began his lengthy "Tonight Show" run.

Hmm. I was 11. I'm sure I wasn't allowed to stay up that late. But by the time it hit the 70s I was. I catch old episodes now and again, and it's always entertaining. Recently he announced Lawrence Welk and out walks Peter Falk in full Columbo attire, pitching the premiere of Season 4. 😁

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

60 years ago today Johnny Carson began his lengthy "Tonight Show" run.

My mom enjoyed watching Carson back in the day … she told me years later how she saw his first episode.  I wish NBC hadn’t made the bone headed decision to destroy the tapes of the NY shows - when Johnny discovered what happened to those episodes he negotiated ownership over the show.  It would have been great to see those early episodes to watch the evolution of the show.  There are a couple of them on You Tube though.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

My mom enjoyed watching Carson back in the day … she told me years later how she saw his first episode.  I wish NBC hadn’t made the bone headed decision to destroy the tapes of the NY shows - when Johnny discovered what happened to those episodes he negotiated ownership over the show.  It would have been great to see those early episodes to watch the evolution of the show.  There are a couple of them on You Tube though.  

I agree, it would be great to see those early shows.  I always preferred Johnny when he was in NY.  He had a better selection of guests (less show biz).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Oh BOO! MeTV+ decided to just skip over the first couple of episodes from Season 10 of Hawaii Five-0, and then skip episodes 12-21, and the last two of the season! Aaaaand THEN, skip over the first four episodes of season 11! What the hell?

And because I'm that perverse, I'll go and get Paramount+ (screw you, MeTV!) to watch those missing episodes, and just in case it decides to skip over the series finale.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Disney+ FINALLY opened the vault and finally dropped the old Zorro show with Guy Williams!!!! I lived that show when I was a kid and am eager to rewatch!!!!

I liked that and "The Scarecrow," a similar story.

Sigh. Hawaii Five-0 was a typical cop show, but what I really love about the early to mid years is how the focus was on McGarrett, Danny, Chin, and Kono (then Ben and Duke) investigating the crimes. And how so many of the supporting characters were natives. By the time season 11 rolled around, they recast with non-natives. Hell, they even changed the race of that recurring henchman of the Kimu, Billy Swan! Aaaaand in the final season-no line about where Danno disappeared to(though the actor said he was bored and it was time to leave), and the local cops/uniforms were suddenly all White.😒😒😒😒

At least they didn’t kill him off like they did with Chin.

But this show has the BEST opening and closing theme music! I never skip it!

• Like 1
On 10/3/2022 at 9:45 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

I agree, it would be great to see those early shows.  I always preferred Johnny when he was in NY.  He had a better selection of guests (less show biz).

It's such a shame Johnny's NY shows were trashed.  They would be intriguing to look back on now, much as the wild and crazy New York Soupy Sales shows would be.

"How cold was it???"  A set up line that was famous until Johnny and Ed left New York.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3

Maybe someone who knows more about broadcasting than I do can answer this. I know all these old tv shows were not filmed in hi def, but it seems some of them have better quality video than others. Most days I watch The Rockford Files at noon on GETtv. The video quality is good. It's followed by Walker, Texas Ranger and I notice how awful the video quality is - grainy, or like someone put gauze over the camera lens. Anyone know why there is such a stark contrast?

7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe someone who knows more about broadcasting than I do can answer this. I know all these old tv shows were not filmed in hi def, but it seems some of them have better quality video than others. Most days I watch The Rockford Files at noon on GETtv. The video quality is good. It's followed by Walker, Texas Ranger and I notice how awful the video quality is - grainy, or like someone put gauze over the camera lens. Anyone know why there is such a stark contrast?

I've read some explanation of why Barney Miller is so grainy, but can't seem to find it right now. But it seems to be a matter of videotape instead of film being used at that time to save money, as briefly explained here: americanheritage.com/videotape-versus-film-and-winner

However, I am no expert on this subject.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe the type of film (I’m not referring to videotape) that the series was originally filmed on - from what I’ve read about old movies, some films, specifically ones filmed in color didn’t age so well. That might carry over to some TV shows.  
Edited to add:  Just checked IMDB - The Rockford Files was filmed in 35mm, Walker Texas Ranger in 16mm, meaning a smaller negative and possible lower quality look on something like an HD TV.  Just my opinion as an amateur photographer who shot in film before everything went digital.

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2022 at 9:46 AM, DXD526 said:

Upcoming Decades binges: 11/5-6 - The Fugitive; 11/12-13 - Wonder Woman; 11/19-20 - Highway Patrol; 11/26-27 - Matt Houston; 12/3-4 - WKRP in Cincinnati.

Too bad they aren't playing WKRP during Thanksgiving week.  "As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly."

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

My cable provider added MeTv+ and Decades a couple months ago, and just added a non-HD version of MeTV after having dropped it a while back and then adding it back as HD only (I've still got my old CRT TV).  I've been enjoying watching Streets of San Francisco on MeTv+, but they do not seem to be playing the episodes in order.  At least they seem to have the seasons in order, but the episodes with in the season don't seem to be in the right order.  Of course, it was episodic, not serialized, so it doesn't really matter.

And I've also been enjoying Mission: Impossible.  There were a lot more episodes than i previously realized that I either hadn't seen or didn't remember from when I was a kid watching it on Metromedia NY 5 in syndicated reruns.

• Like 1

Apparently they have switched to binges on Sunday permanently instead of just a summer thing.   I'm glad to be rid of GIlligan's Island for hours on end but they dumped The Love Boat and The Brady Bunch as well.   The big blocks aren't so bad when it's a show I watch, but more often than not it's something I don't care for.

These networks don't appear to be putting in much effort anymore.   They rarely change things up and keep cycling the same shows through.   Cozi barely has any classic shows left, and is most current-ish shows.   It definitely no longer belongs in the retro TV category.

• Applause 1

Well, crap. I didn't mind that GETtv was ditching Hart to Hart with Ironside at 11 am ET weekdays, but they dumped the noon airings of The Rockford Files too with Ironside. I looked forward to my lunch dates with James Garner. Boo hiss!!!!

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Well, crap. I didn't mind that GETtv was ditching Hart to Hart with Ironside at 11 am ET weekdays, but they dumped the noon airings of The Rockford Files too with Ironside. I looked forward to my lunch dates with James Garner. Boo hiss!!!!

I happened to catch The Rockford Files recently (thanks to a poster's advice that enabled me to getting my antenna working properly) and it occurred to me that James Garner was the Nathan Fillion of that era. 

On 11/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, chessiegal said:

I find it ironic that MEtv is doing a The Love Boat marathon on Sunday after dropping the show from its Sunday lineup many moons ago.

When the Princess Royal cruise ship pulled out of Warnemunde, Germany, the captain asked passengers to wave goodby. I stepped out on our balcony, saw people on the shore waving, and heard our ship's horn "play" the beginning of the Love Boat theme 😂.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My Mom and I would watch "The White Shadow" when it was on TVLand years ago. She liked to watch it during it's original run on TV too. I remember not knowing that Ken Howard had been married to Ann Lander's daughter until we were watching on TVLand. My Mom and Nana always made sure to read Ann Landers advice column along with her sister's column Dear Abby too. 

I wish one of the retro channels that I can actually get would air it again.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

Loved watching “The White Shadow” during its original run.  It was must watch TV for me.  IIRC it was on Monday nights.  Another show I miss that they haven’t shown much since it went off the air was Lou Grant, the spin-off from the Mary Tyler Moore show.  

MeTV is doing a very Merry Christmas shows this afternoon. I spotted Garry Marshall in a Laverne & Shirley episode playing drums. It always cracks me up when he does that on his shows. Garry shows up in an early scene of Pretty Woman that he directed.

• Useful 3
On 1/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, chessiegal said:

MeTV is going to start airing The Wild Wild West on Saturday mornings. Too bad they're not airing it weekdays. At one episode per week, it will take 2 years to get through the series.

I've been watching "The Fugitive" which runs once a week and I'm finally almost done with it. Its been a long trip. Maybe they could cut back on all their showings of "Gunsmoke" and show "Wild Wild West" once a weeknight.

• Applause 2
27 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I noticed on my cable schedule that Me-TV is running "77 Sunset Strip" tonight.

Although their online schedule doesn't show it.

What time? It's not showing up on my MeTV station (which is out of Baltimore). I used to also have MeTV out of DC, but Verizon couldn't come to an agreement with them and dropped it from their lineup. I find what gets aired on MeTV depends on what market it is airing from.

I've found MeTV in Chicago has different shows than the MeTV in Baltimore (sometimes). Tonight at 7 pm I have 2 episodes of MASH followed by 2 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. I've noticed when they are doing promos for some shows, there is a chyron saying "in most markets".

18 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

My cable guide said 8 pm (CT), but Me-TV's online schedule doesn't show it.  Maybe my cable slipped back in time?  I wish they would pick it up again, if they didn't.

The cable guide was really rubbing it in.  It listed Me-TV running "The Saint" "Burke's Law" and "Route 66" this morning.  I wish.

• Sad 1

It amuses me that MeTV is making a bit of a fuss about airing The Wild Wild West on Saturday mornings starting tomorrow and all the trailers are in color, which means Seasons 2-4. Their website shows only Season 1, which are in black and white. ☺️

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It amuses me that MeTV is making a bit of a fuss about airing The Wild Wild West on Saturday mornings starting tomorrow and all the trailers are in color, which means Seasons 2-4. Their website shows only Season 1, which are in black and white. ☺️

They might only show color episodes in the trailers because some (younger) viewers dislike B&W shows and movies. I'll bet they aren't showing Charles Aidman either.

On 1/1/2023 at 11:47 AM, chessiegal said:

MeTV is going to start airing The Wild Wild West on Saturday mornings. Too bad they're not airing it weekdays. At one episode per week, it will take 2 years to get through the series.

Unfortunately they replaced the Sat. episode of "Maverick" when they could have replaced "Gunsmoke".

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Unfortunately they replaced the Sat. episode of "Maverick" when they could have replaced "Gunsmoke".

They could have also replaced it with "Wagon Train or The Rifleman".  They both are on 5 days a week. For me, I wouldn't miss one of the "Three Stooges'" hours.

• Like 2