Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

On 6/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, DXD526 said:

You'll be happy to know it looks like Seasons 1 & 2!

Damn. I was hoping for Season Three’s “Beg, Borrow, and Steele” if only to see the scene of Brosnan/Steele talk about misplacing Laura’s “uuuurn.” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

More music (this time some good ones- two Janis Joplin songs!)

First Women Of Rock (s1, ep5)

Diana Ross & The Supremes – “Love Child”; Janis Joplin – “Raise Your Hand”; Dusty Springfield – “Son Of A Preacher Man”; Gladys Knight & The Pips – “If I Were Your Woman”; Janis Joplin – “Maybe, Maybe, Maybe”; The Supremes – “You Can't Hurry Love”.

(edited)

This morning on Grit they were running a binge of "The Californians", a show from 1957-9 which I have no memory of ever hearing of or seeing. The odd thing about it was that the lead of the series was Art Fleming of "Jeopardy" fame!  Iwonder if he'll have a Daily Double.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

This morning on Grit they were running a binge of "The Californians", a show from 1957-9 which I have no memory of ever hearing of or seeing. The odd thing about it was that the lead of the series was Art Fleming of "Jeopardy" fame!  Iwonder if he'll have a Daily Double.

I’ve never heard of this show either so I had to look it up on IMDB.  I looked at the user reviews and found one titled “Art Fleming was a question on Jeopardy”.  It referenced the Californians and a character by name from the show.  One of the contestants took a shot at the answer and was wrong, Art Fleming was amused.  The answer of course was “Art Fleming”.   Who knows if this actually happened but if it did I guess it would have been pretty funny.  

(edited)

A really good selection on Ed Sullivan this coming Sunday..

The Doors appearance is another infamous incident.  The show wanted Morrison to change the lyrics of "Light My Fire,"  but when he sang the song he didn't change them and they were banned from the show.

Jefferson Airplane also pissed off Ed by refusing to change their clothes for the show (their blue jeans interfered with the show's blue screen effects). They were never invited back.

Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n' Roll Classics

Psychedelic 60s (s1, ep11)

The Doors – “Light My Fire”; Jefferson Airplane – “Crown of Creation”; Steppenwolf – “Born to be Wild”, “Magic Carpet Ride”; Vanilla Fudge – “Keep Me Hanging On"; The Temptations – “Psychedelic Shack".

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2022 at 8:26 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

ZLiving, the most incompetent retro channel, seems to be having problems with "Route 66."  Last week they reran the previous week's episode and this week there was a talk show instead.

And when you go to ZLiving's homepage their programming schedule is from 9/2020!?!

A change in the Decades schedule, starting Monday: The Odd Couple returns, airing from 5-6 p.m. ET. The hour of Laugh-In moves to 7-8 a.m., replacing The Ed Sullivan Show, which will still air from 7-8 p.m.

• Useful 1
(edited)

It appears INSP is returning "Alias Smith & Jones" to their Saturday morning lineup. Don't know if they are dropping their late-night Saturday showings. Just a little less James Arness, thank God.

Next Sun. July 17, Ed Sullivan has another pretty good selection of songs:

West Coast Rock (s1, ep20)

The Byrds - "Turn, Turn, Turn"; The Mamas & The Papas - "California Dreaming"; The 5th Dimension - "California Soul"; The Turtles - "She'd Rather Be With Me"; The Friends of Distinction - "Grazing In The Grass"; The Beach Boys - "I Get Around".

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 1
(edited)

It was interesting that just now on MeTV's airing of Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n Roll Classics, the moderator said The Doors were banned from future appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show because Jim Morrison had been warned before going on stage against using the word "higher" in the song "Light My Fire" because of its association with drugs, but then we immediately gsaw the Temptations doing an obvious song about drugs "The Psychedelic Shack;" even the light show was reference to an LSD trip. 
Obviously the difference was that The Temptations were completely sober on stage and were disciplined performers, whereas Jim Morrison was so high it looked like he was about to fall over. Obviously it was more like Ed Sullivan told Jim Morrison that if he was "high" on stage, he'd never perform there again. 
Anyway, I never noticed before how much Jim Morrison's voice was like Elvis's. 

There was one shot of Jim Morrison that was definitely used to create the image in the extra large wall poster of Jim Morrison I bought in Old Town in Chicago when I was about 15 or 16. The portrait of Morrison was done in black pen on white background with all of the shading consisting of tiny, stylized flowers. I wish I still had it.

Edited by shapeshifter
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

There was one shot of Jim Morrison that was definitely used to create the image in the extra large wall poster of Jim Morrison I bought in Old Town in Chicago when I was about 15 or 16.

Did you buy it at Bizarre Bazaar?

• Applause 1
12 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Did you buy it at Bizarre Bazaar?

Ooo, I have no idea of the name of the place. I was just letting my friend be the tour guide since she had lived in Chicago prior to moving to our suburbs for high school. 
I do remember the place was lit with Black Lights, so the poster glowed. 

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was interesting that just now on MeTV's airing of Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n Roll Classics, the moderator said The Doors were banned from future appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show because Jim Morrison had been warned before going on stage against using the word "higher" in the song "Light My Fire" because of its association with drugs, but then we immediately gsaw the Temptations doing an obvious song about drugs "The Psychedelic Shack;" even the light show was reference to an LSD trip. 
Obviously the difference was that The Temptations were completely sober on stage and were disciplined performers, whereas

I'd suggest the difference was that "Light My Fire" was released in Jan. 1967 while "Psychedelic Shack" was a hit in 1970.  A lot of changes in what was acceptable occurred between those dates.

I'm not sure if Morrison was particularly high, or that was just his style. 

I did like the guy from Vanilla Fudge mentioning The Fugs!

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooo, I have no idea of the name of the place. I was just letting my friend be the tour guide since she had lived in Chicago prior to moving to our suburbs for high school. 
I do remember the place was lit with Black Lights, so the poster glowed. 

Definitely sounds like Bizarre Bazaar.  Haven't thought of that place in a few years.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I did like the guy from Vanilla Fudge mentioning The Fugs!

That was so funny. Ed Sullivan seemed to be afraid the name of the new group was The Fu¢k$ and so he kept saying "The Frogs?"
(which did become the name or part of the name of several groups).

But, yeah, kudos to the Vanilla Fudge guy for giving The Fugs a shout out on the Ed Sullivan show when he had the chance, which was probably what Ed Sullivan was offering with his question, but the others just seemed to steer their answers to artists who the fans ought to know if they didn't already (e.g. The Beatles and Hendrix).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

That was so funny. Ed Sullivan seemed to be afraid the name of the new group was The Fu¢k$ and so he kept saying "The Frogs?"
(which did become the name or part of the name of several groups).

But, yeah, kudos to the Vanilla Fudge guy for giving The Fugs a shout out on the Ed Sullivan show when he had the chance, which was probably what Ed Sullivan was offering with his question, but the others just seemed to steer their answers to artists who the fans ought to know if they didn't already (e.g. The Beatles and Hendrix).

FBI's file on The Fugs called them the "Most vulgar thing the human mind could possibly conceive."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bj7x85/fbi-foia-the-fugs-the-doors-v24n8

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 6/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, chessiegal said:

I also see we're getting Gilligan's Island marathon at some point which they show regularly.

Well, MeTV used to show Gilligan's Island for several hours on Sundays before replacing it with their "summer block" programming. 

On 6/14/2022 at 1:26 AM, SVNBob said:

Given that CBS has "The Real Love Boat" starting in the fall, there might be a rights issue involved in this matter.

Yuck. I hope that's not a reality show!

Not a very good selection of 1970 hits. The no. 1 single was "Bridge Over Troubled Water", no. 3 was "American Woman", no. 6 was "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"

TOP HITS OF 1970 (S1, EP15)

B.J. Thomas - "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"; The Jackson 5 - "I Want You Back"; The 5th Dimension - "One Less Bell To Answer"; The Carpenters - "We've Only Just Begun"; The Supremes - "Someday We'll Be Together"; The Jackson 5 - "The Love You Save".

(edited)

I signed up for Frndly streaming service so I got my Decades channel back! Whoot!! And I figured out how to project my laptop on our Smart TV. Let the fun begin. The Wild Wild West marathon tomorrow. Since I have the DVDs, it will be interesting to see how Decades edit them. Welcome back MTM and Bob Newhart.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3

So I noticed on my cable's program guide that ZLiving was going to show "CPO Sharkey" on Sunday morning.  Of course when I tune in it wasn't playing. ZLiving keeps up its most incompetent retro channel record.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

So I noticed on my cable's program guide that ZLiving was going to show "CPO Sharkey" on Sunday morning.  Of course when I tune in it wasn't playing. ZLiving keeps up its most incompetent retro channel record.

Anytime I see a mention of CPO Sharkey I think of this:

• LOL 2

Ed Sullivan's music pick this Sunday. Some decent picks (better than the 1970 list)

Top Hits Of 1968 (s1, ep13)

Gary Puckett & The Union Gap - "Lady Willpower"; Tommy James & The Shondells - "Mony Mony"; The Chambers Brothers - "Time Has Come Today"; The Beach Boys- "Do It Again"; Spanky & Our Gang - "Like To Get To Know You"; Tom Jones - "Delilah".

• Fire 1
(edited)

Decades binges for August: 8/6, 7 - The Odd Couple; 8/13, 14 - S.W.A.T.; 8/20, 21 - Harry O; 8/27, 28 - Bridget Loves Bernie; and for 9/3, 4 - The Saint.

The schedule has been updated for 8/28. Bridget Loves Bernie will be shown until 8 a.m., with the remainder of the binge filled by Fish.

Edited by DXD526
update!

They showed the episode with Elvis' first appearance on Ed Sullivan previously and it was interesting to see how nervous Elvis appeared.

Elvis Presley (s1, ep2)

Elvis Presley - "Don't Be Cruel"; Elvis Presley - “Ready Teddy”; Elvis Presley - “Too Much”; Elvis Presley - “When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again”; Elvis Presley - “Hound Dog”; Elvis Presley - "Peace In The Valley".

Well, my provider just added FeTV to my package and now I'm getting double dose of Perry Mason and the Perry Mason movies! I know I'd set up the show for just MeTV before it was shifted to an HD channel, so while it also airs on other networks, I only wanted the MeTV, because it's the one that is edited the least.

It looks better on FeTV, but I'm not sure if they edit more out, because the length of the recording is 1 hour, but on MeTV it's 1:05, without me having added the extra five minutes.

Another plus is that the movies and shows fill up my entire television screen on FeTV, as opposed to a "square" where I can see the black bars on either side on MeTV. I assume that's because the show and movies weren't in HD originally. Weird. And the closed captioning on FeTV is so much better. Before moving to HD, MeTV's closed captioning was very good, except, of course for XXing out suspicious, cocktail, Dick, Hispanic, because Censors! as you had "s***" in suspicious and Hispanic, and well "cock" is self-explanatory, and "Dick" is stupid, since that's a shortened version for Richard. But what can you do?

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't understand why MeTV out of Baltimore has stopped carrying Sullivan. I also get MeTV on the Frndly streaming service, and it doesn't carry Sullivan either.

It looks like the half hour the Ed Sullivan is on, the Baltimore MeTV runs the local news.  Here in Chicago MeTV doesn't run any news.

I still don't understand why MeTV on the Frndly streaming service doesn't show Sullivan. They show Carol Burnett and Friends from 10 pm - 11pm.

I lost MeTV out of DC when Verizon couldn't reach an agreement with them. Boo.

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I still don't understand why MeTV on the Frndly streaming service doesn't show Sullivan. They show Carol Burnett and Friends from 10 pm - 11pm.

I lost MeTV out of DC when Verizon couldn't reach an agreement with them. Boo.

What does Frndly run that half hour?

5 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

On the East Coast it would be the 10-10:30 pm slot, I believe.

10:00 - 10:30 pm ET they run Carol Burnett and Friends.

I did some reading on MeTV on Wikipedia. It started in Chicago in 2003 and is owned by Weigel Broadcasting. It went national November of 2010. Weigel also owns Decades among others. What gets broadcast when totally depends on your market. /Sigh.

• Sad 1

Strange grouping in the Ed Sullivan compilation? Still waiting for a British Invasion collection.

Sun. Aug 14

ROSEMARY CLOONEY, POMPOFF AND THEDY, AND MORE

Today's episode features the Animals, Pompoff and Thedy, Rosemary Clooney, Tony Lama, Alan King, Gino Tonetti, and Chris Kirby.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Strange grouping in the Ed Sullivan compilation? Still waiting for a British Invasion collection.

Sun. Aug 14

ROSEMARY CLOONEY, POMPOFF AND THEDY, AND MORE

Today's episode features the Animals, Pompoff and Thedy, Rosemary Clooney, Tony Lama, Alan King, Gino Tonetti, and Chris Kirby.

This looks like they are returning to showing individual episodes.  This Sunday's episode aired Feb 6, 1966.  Next week is also a actual episode (for all you Topo Gigio fans).

• Useful 2
On 8/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, wilsie said:

David Janssen's "Harry O" is binging on Decades this weekend.  Love David Janssen in just about anything and I haven't seen "Harry O" for years.

Never watched "Harry O" but I'm rewatching "The Fugitive."  I like David Janssen, but he always seems so depressed (not just in "The Fugitive", but in "Shoes of the Fisherman" and "Warning Shot" which I watched about a year ago.

Chicago's Edgewater Historical Society will unveil a marker commemorating comedian Bob Newhart on Sept 1 at 11:30 AM at Colvin House, 5940 N Sheridan Rd, near the Thorndale Beach North Condominiums, featured as the fictional home of Bob and Emily Hartley in The Bob Newhart Show

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Upcoming Decades binges - 9/10-11: The Adventures of Superman; 9/17-18: The Beverly Hillbillies; 9/24-25: Our Miss Brooks; 10/1-2: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In

I don;t have Decades, but I get all those shows but "Our Miss Brooks."  I mentioned elsewhere that I wish somebody would run "East Side, West Side" (1963).