Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

There are SO MANY old comedies I'd like to see that no one runs, while the same ones keep getting shown over and over. I was hoping Decades changing to Catchy Comedy might give the channel a bit of a 'reboot', and they might show something a little different. But, nope, very predictable binges so far. Stuff like The Odd Couple isn't exactly a deep dive. 

And I still miss Through the Decades

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The rest of the July binges. It's always nice to see Flip Wilson, but still very pedestrian stuff here - 7/8-9: The Love Boat; 7/15-16: Get Smart; 7/22-23: The Flintstones; 7/29-30: The Flip Wilson Show

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, DXD526 said:

The rest of the July binges. It's always nice to see Flip Wilson, but still very pedestrian stuff here - 7/8-9: The Love Boat; 7/15-16: Get Smart; 7/22-23: The Flintstones; 7/29-30: The Flip Wilson Show

Flintstones and Love Boat are on regularly, but would you believe none of the retro channels I have run "Get Smart", which is ridiculous.  And yes, Flip Wilson was a fun show.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

COZI is advertising a bring back Quincy, M.E. farewell marathon. I didn't even realize they aired it (or maybe they used to). That was a show I couldn't get into. As a chemist that started out in clinical labs, and ended up my career working in forensic labs, I couldn't suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it. I never knew an ME to do their lab work. Plus, Quincy sticking a syringe into a gas chromatograph and getting results that were impossible - just no.

Maybe COZI will air some new old series.

10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

COZI is advertising a bring back Quincy, M.E. farewell marathon. I didn't even realize they aired it (or maybe they used to). That was a show I couldn't get into. As a chemist that started out in clinical labs, and ended up my career working in forensic labs, I couldn't suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy it. I never knew an ME to do their lab work. Plus, Quincy sticking a syringe into a gas chromatograph and getting results that were impossible - just no.

Maybe COZI will air some new old series.

I watched Quincy, M.E. for the first time this past year , first trying with YouTube (terrible!) and then COZI. I do not need to watch it again. Likewise The Odd Couple, also with Jack Klugman. He's so shouty. 

• Applause 1

Tonight (6/5) on GET TV they will be showing the "Rockford Files" pilot episodes, the one without Noah Beery Jr. playing Rocky. (originally one two hour show, but later split into two episodes.  Both run tonight)

• Thanks 1
(edited)

I came here to gripe about the Decades change to Catchy Comedy.  I already get a lot of those comedy shows on other retro channels.  I didn't need more of the same shows on several different channels.  I seem to get a lot of those channels and they all seem to be switching to feature the same shows.  I'm sure it's all about ratings, getting more for advertising and what they can air for the least amount of money, but it's pretty annoying when you get several channels all showing the same shows.  Unfortunately they can make these changes and make more money even if their viewership isn't happy about it.  I read that just being rated by the Neilsen system gives them the ability to charge more for advertising.  So once again it's not about what the viewers want with TV these days. 🙁

I didn't even know about the format change until just now.  I thought perhaps I was seeing a new channel on my TV guide, not one that was revamped from something else.  I didn't really watch much of Decades other than the Best of the Ed Sullivan show (which they kept after the revamp), the Dick Cavett Show and Bill Curtis' "Through the Decades", both of which they dropped.  I didn't watch either that often but I'm sad to hear that they didn't keep them.  I feel like I only just watched Decades.  I probably didn't realize I was watching one of its last airings.  Oh well.  I've read a few articles with reader comments all complaining about the change but I don't suppose it would do any good to write to the network to complain about it, but I still might.  And I think Catchy Comedy is a stupid name, too.  Anyway thanks for letting me vent about that.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I came here to gripe about the Decades change to Catchy Comedy.  I already get a lot of those comedy shows on other retro channels. 🙁

There's so many really good old shows that they could be running.  I wouldn't mind some of the shows from the 1950s, which pretty much have disappeared.  Even the early 1960s shows, except for the CBS "rural" shows, have disappeared.  Really, "Dick van Dyke Show" only runs one night a week? None of the retro channels I get run "I Love Lucy" any more.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

There's so many really good old shows that they could be running.  I wouldn't mind some of the shows from the 1950s, which pretty much have disappeared.  Even the early 1960s shows, except for the CBS "rural" shows, have disappeared.  Really, "Dick van Dyke Show" only runs one night a week? None of the retro channels I get run "I Love Lucy" any more.

Yeah, "I love Lucy" was run forever on so many channels and now it's scarce.

Does anyone get FETV?  It runs some of the same stuff as on METV, like Wagon Train, Adam 12 and Perry Mason but it also runs some other stuff, not all comedies, and lots of early '60s stuff.

I get FETV. I don't watch it much since they decided to drop The Wild Wild West. MeTV is airing WWW on Saturday mornings now. I signed up for Frndly streaming service to get Decades. But if you watch on the streaming service they don't air the same shows that they do on the over the air channel. Once they changed to Crafty Comedy, the streaming service line up had nothing I want to see, so I dropped Frndly.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, "I love Lucy" was run forever on so many channels and now it's scarce.

Does anyone get FETV?  It runs some of the same stuff as on METV, like Wagon Train, Adam 12 and Perry Mason but it also runs some other stuff, not all comedies, and lots of early '60s stuff.

There's a lot of old shows they could run,  Some the retro channels used to run, like Jack Benny show, Sgt Bilko, Burns & Allen, and some I haven't see for a long long time, like Topper, Love That Bob, Fractured Fairytales and Fractured Flickers, The Tom Ewell Show.

(edited)

For those not yet aware, the PlutoTV app has quite a few channels dedicated to classic TV shows. Aside from the compilation channels like Classic TV Comedy, Classic TV Drama, Classic TV Families and Western TV, they have 24/7 channels dedicated to specific shows, currently including:

I Love Lucy

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Addams Family

The Andy Griffith Show

The Beverly Hillbillies

The Carol Burnett Show

The Ed Sullivan Show

Johnny Carson TV

Mission: Impossible

Perry Mason

Gunsmoke

Doctor Who Classic

and many others - well worth downloading and checking out!

Edited by giovannif7
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

I have to wonder if some of the older dramas are not being run simply because they are in black and white.  I mean I am sure there are also various rights issues but there are some people in my (limited) experience who simply won't watch a black and white show or movie.  Ironically, a show like The Fugitive which was brilliantly suited to a noir-ish black and white atmosphere, just wasn't the same to me when they were forced by the times to change to color in their final season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, roseha said:

I have to wonder if some of the older dramas are not being run simply because they are in black and white.  I mean I am sure there are also various rights issues but there are some people in my (limited) experience who simply won't watch a black and white show or movie.  Ironically, a show like The Fugitive which was brilliantly suited to a noir-ish black and white atmosphere, just wasn't the same to me when they were forced by the times to change to color in their final season.

Maybe it's me but I see some older black and white dramas being shown on these channels like "Wagon Train", "The Lone Ranger", "Rawhide" and "Perry Mason".  Unless you mean even older than that?

I find that I tend to want to watch shows I remember from when I was a kid or young adult and that means a lot of the shows from the 1950s are not from my experience since I was born in 1958.  I saw a few in reruns (like "I Love Lucy") but when I was very young a lot of dramas were a little over my head so I tended to like the comedies better.  Most of the older dramas I watched were the Westerns because they were so basic and focused on action.  I did watch Perry Mason when I was very little but the only thing I remember about it was "objection sustained" and "objection overruled", which I didn't understand until much later, LOL.  And I did watch "Outer Limits" and "Twilight Zone" too.

Also I have a theory about music that might relate to this.  Society was changing so rapidly from the '50s through the '70s that both music and TV shows changed radically too.  My husband and I talk a lot about how back when we were in our early adulthood we never liked the music of the 1950s that much.  We were OK with a few things here and there but some of the doo-w** stuff turned us off.  Interestingly if you notice, these days TV ads are FULL of retro music going back to the 1960s, but it's rare to hear anything from before that decade.  I don't think that's any accident.  Younger generations somehow still relate to the music going back to the 1960s but that's where it probably ends.  That always fascinates me because that would have never happened when I was young.  Music from the '30's and '40s was generally disliked by young people and considered "Old fart music", LOL.  You'd be more likely to hear it on an elevator than on a commercial, LOL.

Interestingly I was always in love with the Big Band music from the 1930s and '40s, like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman, etc.  It was just the music of the 1950s that I didn't really love.  My husband thinks that the people that grew up with that music love it and not that many from later generations (or earlier if my parents were any indication - both were big music lovers but not big fans of 1950s popular music, with a few notable exceptions like Nat King Cole, etc.)  So maybe my theory can extend to TV shows in general too.  I don't know, just aimlessly theorizing!

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
15 hours ago, roseha said:

I think some younger viewers are turned off by black-and-white TV or movies.  But it works well in shows like "Naked City" and even "Twilight Zone".  Early color shows often had very poor choices of colors used in sets and costumes.

• Like 3
On 6/7/2023 at 3:41 PM, giovannif7 said:

For those not yet aware, the PlutoTV app has quite a few channels dedicated to classic TV shows.

Unfortunately, these channels only play a limited set of eps repeatedly. 

On 5/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Do we really need a Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres binge< considering they're on multiple channels already?

Maybe do binges of series that only lasted one season.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 8/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

MeTV's closed captioning was very good, except, of course for XXing out suspicious, cocktail, Dick, Hispanic, because Censors! as you had "s***" in suspicious and Hispanic, and well "cock" is self-explanatory, and "Dick" is stupid, since that's a shortened version for Richard. But what can you do?

We were discussing closed captioning on another thread, but I can't find it?

Anyway, I missed the denouement of a Perry Mason episode that aired this morning on MeTV, 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara," so I was able to find it on FreeVee and Pluto (apps on my Roku TVs). 
I too always use closed captioning, and was surprised to see at about the 45 minute mark on both FreeVee and Pluto:

• [VYACHESLAV GERZNOV] She never told me about this bullshit Dorrow

which was a miss-translation for:

• [VYACHESLAV GERZNOV] She never told me about this Bolshevik Dorrow

Character Gerznov was played by Russian émigré and character actor Leonid Kinskey, whose accent may have confused the transcriber (human or machine) and/or "Bolshevik" was not in the word list used by the transcriber.

I guess it will be many months before it airs again on MeTV, so I won't get to see how it is transcribed into closed captions there. 😒

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I missed the denouement of a Perry Mason episode that aired this morning on MeTV, 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara," so I was able to find it on FreeVee and Pluto (apps on my Roku TVs). 
I too always use closed captioning, and was surprised to see at about the 45 minute mark on both FreeVee and Pluto:

Character Gerznov was played by Russian émigré and character actor Leonid Kinskey, whose accent may have confused the transcriber (human or machine) and/or "Bolshevik" was not in the word list used by the transcriber.

I guess it will be many months before it airs again on MeTV, so I won't get to see how it is transcribed into closed captions there. 😒

It might have been in the Perry Mason thread where we discussed the censoring.

I think I mentioned also how on the FeTV airings, that the censoring wasn’t as bad. And since it still airs on that channel as well, you may see this episode again. Sometimes the seasons conflate.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1

H&I is making schedule changes week after next.   They have a Twilight Zone marathon starting at noon on Sunday 7/2 running through noon on 7/4.  I'm assuming this means TZ is being added to the channel somewhere on the schedule (presumably on the weekend if it is).    MacGyver is being replaced by another hour of Walker, which...really?  That thing already makes up half their schedule.   On Tuesday's, Vega$ is out and being replaced by Lethal Weapon.   On Wednesday JAG is out and A Team is in.   Not sure what changes if any there are for Monday, Thursday and Friday and the weekend since the schedules don't go that far out yet.   I saw an ad that Terminator is coming to the channel, I'm assuming on the weekend since there are so few episodes.  

(edited)
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think I mentioned also how on the FeTV airings, that the censoring wasn’t as bad. And since it still airs on that channel as well, you may see this episode again. Sometimes the seasons conflate.

I don't seem to have access to FeTV anymore, but thanks for the info that "the censoring wasn’t as bad." I actually want to see the Really Bad Censoring 🤣 to see how they display "She never told me about this bullshit [Bolshevik] Dorrow" in the Perry Mason episode 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara."

But if you or anyone happens to notice season 9 of OG Perry Mason is starting anywhere, I'm curious about how they treated this word in particular. 

In the mean time, I will try to note instances of caption censoring oddities like "su****ious" for "suspicious" on MeTV aired closed captions and then check them out on FreeVee, and hopefully report back here on my findings, both as seen in Perry Mason and on Matlock, which airs immediately after. 😉
image.png.0c83c338eca3b5c390eec4b1b32ec834.pngimage.png.28db2c8e6fb49398c5b64e640970e9cf.png

Edited by shapeshifter
17 hours ago, Maverick said:

H&I is making schedule changes week after next.   They have a Twilight Zone marathon starting at noon on Sunday 7/2 running through noon on 7/4.  I'm assuming this means TZ is being added to the channel somewhere on the schedule (presumably on the weekend if it is).    

Decades used to run a Twilight Zone marathon during the Independence Day weekend so since they’ve changed to a comedy show format it looks like H&I is the new home for the marathons.  I doubt it’s being added to their regular schedule.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In the mean time, I will try to note instances of caption censoring oddities like "su****ious" for "suspicious" on MeTV aired closed captions and then check them out on FreeVee, and hopefully report back here on my findings, both as seen in Perry Mason and on Matlock, which airs immediately after. 😉
image.png.0c83c338eca3b5c390eec4b1b32ec834.pngimage.png.28db2c8e6fb49398c5b64e640970e9cf.png

OK, "Sherlock", LOL 😉, maybe you can help me get to the bottom of this one - I have noticed lately that the closed captioning is often incorrect, especially on retro channels like FeTV and MeTV.  It's not a translation like subtitles so why it is often either a paraphrase of what's being said or garbled completely is a mystery to me.  Unless the people they have doing it lately are just that bad now that they put down any old thing.  Or is it being done by AI bots now and they're not that good?  I can't figure it out.  It happens so often it's hard to imagine why especially when the chosen phraseology is often more complicated than what was actually said by the characters on screen.  Sometimes it even adds details not given in the actual dialogue, like it makes a character address another one by name when their name was not actually mentioned on screen, or the color of their shirt.  So whoever is doing it has to understand the context of what's going on in the scene.  It's just weird and my husband and I are always scratching our heads over this.  It seems to be especially bad on Adam 12 and on these retro channels in general.  Some channels are very accurate, perhaps because of who is doing the CC on them.  It's still an ongoing mystery.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Or is it being done by AI bots now….
…Sometimes it even adds details not given in the actual dialogue, like it makes a character address another one by name when their name was not actually mentioned on screen, or the color of their shirt. 

Wow, I haven’t seen anything like that! 
— at least not that I recall?
It does seem like AI, which is better than no captioning.🤷🏻‍♀️ 

25 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

It seems to be especially bad on Adam 12 and on these retro channels in general.  Some channels are very accurate,

It looks like I have Adam-12 on MeTV at 5pm EDT. I should be able to check it out in the next day or so. 
— not that I know what such descriptors would mean, but I might recall if the Adam-12 captioning looked that way when I watched it a few years ago.

36 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

OK, "Sherlock", LOL 😉

😁

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

📺

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow, I haven’t seen anything like that! 
— at least not that I recall?
It does seem like AI, which is better than no captioning.🤷🏻‍♀️ 

It looks like I have Adam-12 on MeTV at 5pm EDT. I should be able to check it out in the next day or so. 
— not that I know what such descriptors would mean, but I might recall if the Adam-12 captioning looked that way when I watched it a few years ago.

😁

📺

Thanks, let me know what you think!  I notice on some days it's more accurate than others.  Hopefully you'll see it on a bad day so you don't think I'm losing my marbles, LOL.  😉

• Wink 1

Catchy Comedy binges for August - 8/5-6: The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast; 8/12-13: The Honeymooners; 8/19-20: The Monkees; 8/26-27: Full House.

would you believe none of the retro channels I have run "Get Smart", which is ridiculous

Decades used to run GS, but it was dropped when the network rebranded itself. 

• Like 1
On 7/12/2023 at 6:43 PM, DXD526 said:

Catchy Comedy binges for August - 8/5-6: The Dean Martin Celebrity Roast; 8/12-13: The Honeymooners; 8/19-20: The Monkees; 8/26-27: Full House.

Decades used to run GS, but it was dropped when the network rebranded itself. 

I thought they did the "Roasts" sometime in the last year?  And really, do they need to binge "Full House"?

(edited)
On 6/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, shapeshifter said:

Requoting you here @shapeshifter to let you know that MeTV is up to season 7, so I’d say within the next  couple of months, this episode will air and you can see if the closed captioning makes the same mistake as freevee/Pluto or not! I’ll make sure to pay attention too!

A bit behind, but when I got back into town last month, FeTV aired some of the Perry Mason  movies and “The Case of the Ruthless Reporter” had some doozies with the censoring. I think one was “Bitch”, but the other was ”Whoring”, “whore”, yet damn, bastard, and hell are PERFECTLY acceptable on this Family entertainment channel.🙄🙄🙄 pinging @Yeah No to get her thoughts!

I loved the guest star cast, but really wish that William Katt had returned as Paul. Ken was just so, so USELESS.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

MeTV is up to season 7,

My MeTV affiliate was only up to 1:11 today (in Rochester NY). I noticed it was season one because Raymond Burr’s face looked thin. I guess I missed the last 2 weeks?

But please do post if you catch the captioning near the end of 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara" transcribing “Bolshevik” as “bullshit.” 🤭

7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My MeTV affiliate was only up to 1:11 today (in Rochester NY). I noticed it was season one because Raymond Burr’s face looked thin. I guess I missed the last 2 weeks?

But please do post if you catch the captioning near the end of 9.23 "The Case of the Tsarina's Tiara" transcribing “Bolshevik” as “bullshit.” 🤭

I have it on cable so it’s airing both seasons 1 and 7. And definitely I’ll look for it and will post in the show’s thread.☺️

• Thanks 1

Something else:

When I watch an old show with poor video quality on the free version of YouTube on my Windows laptop, I can choose captions.

But when I watch the same show episodes on the YouTube app on my Roku TV, the captions don’t display.  

When I tried the “check for updates” it just said the app was already up to date.🤷🏻‍♀️

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Something else:

When I watch an old show with poor video quality on the free version of YouTube on my Windows laptop, I can choose captions.

But when I watch the same show episodes on the YouTube app on my Roku TV, the captions don’t display.  

When I tried the “check for updates” it just said the app was already up to date.🤷🏻‍♀️

Huh.

• Like 1
(edited)

One more weird caption boo-boo.
Maybe I should start a thread for just these?
On the one-season spin-off of MSW, The Law and Harry McGraw, in episode 11, instead of the line "First rate group, Sir!" the captioning shows "First rape group, Sir!" which actually almost works as a joking comment about the very G-rated plot. 
(One thing I really like about this 80s series is that there are no damsels in distress who need to be rescued.)

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Another series one of the retro channels should do a binge of is"The Prisoner".  I was asking younger people where I work if they'd ever heard of it and none did.

And yet it's available on several streaming channels.

I saw it rerun on some live TV channel several years ago but I forget which now.

I saw it on its first run way back when I was a kid and loved it.  I had a crush on Patrick McGoohan, LOL.

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

And yet it's available on several streaming channels.

I saw it rerun on some live TV channel several years ago but I forget which now.

I saw it on its first run way back when I was a kid and loved it.  I had a crush on Patrick McGoohan, LOL.

I think it might have been ME-TV, back when they showed a much wider variety: 77 Sunset Strip. Route 66, Naked City, etc.

• Like 1

I just binged about 4 episodes of The Listener on Roku's ION Mystery channel. 

I can't seem to find an online version of the Roku channel and schedule lineup. It seems it's only available while watching Roku TV. I guess this is a marketing thing, but I can't figure out the strategy.

I mean, sometimes I'll make "appointment TV" if I know something is going to be airing.

My daughters and my sister don't watch anything they can't stream whenever it's convenient.
But maybe I'm just one of the few TV-viewing dinosaurs who survived into the post-meteoric impact of the Streaming era, and so I'm a TV watching omnivore amongst Stream-ovres?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2023 at 7:43 PM, DXD526 said:

Decades used to run Get Smart, but it was dropped when the network rebranded itself. 

Doesn't MeTV play it at 3 in the morning or some ridiculous time?

18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ironside has started running on GetTV (Great Entertainment TV) at 11am daily. It doesn’t seem to stream anywhere that my Roku knows about, and it’s not on YouTube, but I found Ironside and some other old shows are on the Internet Archive:   
https://archive.org/details/ironsideS01

Ironside has been running at 11 am and again at noon for quite some time, I'm thinking over a year. I didn't mind that they replaced the 11 am Hart to Hart with Ironside, but I was pissed they stopped the noon airing of The Rockford Files. I wanted lunch with my boyfriend James Garner, dammit.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
37 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Ironside has been running at 11 am and again at noon for quite some time, I'm thinking over a year. I didn't mind that they replaced the 11 am Hart to Hart with Ironside, but I was pissed they stopped the noon airing of The Rockford Files. I wanted lunch with my boyfriend James Garner, dammit.

Aww, I can relate.💔
One summer I used to have breakfast with James Drury on The Virginian.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I wanted lunch with my boyfriend James Garner, dammit.

I'd have lunch with Cannon, but he ate all the food.

I've been watching "Travels of Jaimie Mcpheeters" on Get-TV on weekends and didn't realize that the Osmonds were regulars on the show!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1