Type keyword(s) to search

S35: Devon Pinto

• Start Topic

He's going to end up annoying his tribe and get bounced for it.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
When everyone is too busy either loving me or underestimating me, I am going to be picking them off one by one until I am the Sole Survivor! Every single Immunity Challenge is mine. I will have everyone's vote at the end because they all will love me so much.

I can count a lot of final 2/3 people that the others loved but who still lost.  I guess he forgot hat part when he was fantasizing about being the immunity king.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

This guy sounds like a douchecanoe. And on what planet was Ozzy considered "lovable"? A challenge beast...yes. Easy on the eyes...yes. Lovable? Ummm....  

The opinions on this board or TWOP rarely reflect those of the general viewing public. Lots of people loved Ozzy. I loved him in his first go-round, and never hated him despite the vitriol in these parts. 

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yes, a lot of people loved Ozzy. I loved Ozzy. But I would never describe his personality as lovable. Quite the opposite, actually.

I always loved Ozzy, despite the arrogance and smugness that he often put on as his front.  But something about Ozzy was lovable to me.  I can't explain what exactly, other than I thought, beaneath it all, he seemed kind of sad and lost.  And that his bravado was exactly that-bravado.  However, I'm sure why I find him lovable and Devon does are two different thing.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I always loved Ozzy, despite the arrogance and smugness that he often put on as his front.  But something about Ozzy was lovable to me.  I can't explain what exactly, other than I thought, beaneath it all, he seemed kind of sad and lost.  And that his bravado was exactly that-bravado.  However, I'm sure why I find him lovable and Devon does are two different thing.

I always loved Ozzy - not on account of his personality or interactive social skills (which at best would be described somewhere between "insensitive" and "abrasive"), but because Ozzy had the purest love for Survivor as an experience of any contestant who ever played.  IHMO Ozzy would be the happiest he could ever be if he were engaged in a season of Survivor which would never end; participation in the game complemented Ozzy's personal skill set and strengths in a way real life never did.  Ozzy didn't give a shit about interacting with others, he wanted solely to interact with the Survivor environment.

For this particular reason I already see this guy Devon as a fail.  Devon claims Ozzy as one of his role models for the game - but if he thinks Ozzy was shooting to project a "lovable" image, then Devon doesn't understand his role model at all.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 7
On 9/16/2017 at 0:19 AM, Nashville said:

I always loved Ozzy - not on account of his personality or interactive social skills (which at best would be described somewhere between "insensitive" and "abrasive"), but because Ozzy had the purest love for Survivor as an experience of any contestant who ever played.  IHMO Ozzy would be the happiest he could ever be if he were engaged in a season of Survivor which would never end; participation in the game complemented Ozzy's personal skill set and strengths in a way real life never did.  Ozzy didn't give a shit about interacting with others, he wanted solely to interact with the Survivor environment.

For this particular reason I already see this guy Devon as a fail.  Devon claims Ozzy as one of his role models for the game - but if he thinks Ozzy was shooting to project a "lovable" image, then Devon doesn't understand his role model at all.

I fully agree with how you see Ozzy but not necessarily on what you project on to Devon. We know hardly nothing of him as yet, but I'd say that he might not be the best as expressing himself, especially in a pregame questionnaire. So I give him some leeway for now, he might actually want to be an "Ozzy" as in "the guy whose dream life this is and who could live in the game forever if possible". Or he just named the best known surfer dude to have played. We'll see.

But I do like that he's thrilled to be allied with that dude (Ryan?), if just for a second. This talk about Ozzy has reminded me on how I've always thought that Cochran dropped the ball when Ozzy suggested an alliance with him. Yeah, I'm a elephant this way :)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I fully agree with how you see Ozzy but not necessarily on what you project on to Devon. We know hardly nothing of him as yet, but I'd say that he might not be the best as expressing himself, especially in a pregame questionnaire. So I give him some leeway for now, he might actually want to be an "Ozzy" as in "the guy whose dream life this is and who could live in the game forever if possible". Or he just named the best known surfer dude to have played. We'll see.

I freely admit I had not taken into account the possibility Devon may simply have issues expressing himself in written form, so I'll cut him some slack - for now.

• Love 2

I have long wanted a character like Devon, who comes across as a surfer dude-brah, to make it to the Final 3 and in his speech to the jurors, say something along the lines of, "While I do enjoy surfing, I have actually been playing the part of surfer-dude this entire time in order to downplay my intelligence and the fact that I have been making small but critical moves since Day One, thus ensuring my place here at Final Tribal Council as well as the million dollars."

Can this please be the season that I get my wish?

• Love 5

Devon is on my short list of people I think could win.  Right now I think it'll be between Lauren and Ben based on edits, with Devon bringing up the rear.  I suppose there's a chance Mike could pull off a win, being an underdog and having 3 Healers on the jury that might vote for him out of loyalty.  But Desi and Joe seem like they would vote for someone more based on game play.  So we'll see.  Mike is better than Chrissy/Ryan, but I still don't want him taking it.  And I like Ashley okay, but she isn't screaming winner to me.  

The one downside to a Devon win is he seemed a little arrogant last night in his edit.  Especially at the reward with Ashley/Ben/Joe (all of them did actually).  So I'll be interested going forward if that changes or not.  But he seems likable, and I think he could make a decent argument to the jury.  Lauren's my #1, and I think deserves it most right now, but I wouldn't be disappointed with a Devon win.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I have long wanted a character like Devon, who comes across as a surfer dude-brah, to make it to the Final 3 and in his speech to the jurors, say something along the lines of, "While I do enjoy surfing, I have actually been playing the part of surfer-dude this entire time in order to downplay my intelligence and the fact that I have been making small but critical moves since Day One, thus ensuring my place here at Final Tribal Council as well as the million dollars."

Maybe... :)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This was my hope for Fabio and alas he was just a bonehead surfer who fell into a win by not being Chase or Sash. I hold more hope for Devon - who at least seems to know what game he's playing and not to pee in the challenge pool and brag about it. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm starting to wonder if Devon wins, based on the edit.  

I've thought Devon was a strong dark horse candidate for much of the season, but that sound effect after his "She's almost as good as me!" confessional made me really doubtful he wins. But I could still see it.

Honestly, I could see any of them winning. Which is exciting, but I don't give a shit about any of them and actively hate 4 of them, so that kinda takes the fun out of the unpredictability for me.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I've thought Devon was a strong dark horse candidate for much of the season, but that sound effect after his "She's almost as good as me!" confessional made me really doubtful he wins. But I could still see it.

Honestly, I could see any of them winning. Which is exciting, but I don't give a shit about any of them and actively hate 4 of them, so that kinda takes the fun out of the unpredictability for me.

Exactly.  If I liked everyone left, I'd be thrilled it was this unpredictable.  Since there's really only person left I like, and Devon's chances are probably slim, I could care less.  

• Love 2

I've always found Devon nice-looking but last episode, when they were all coming in and lining up for the RC, I thought for the first time that he's really gorgeous, whatever the Survivor makeover is, it's a huge success with him.

• Love 4

I think he's gorgeous, too, but this last ep during the 'loved ones' challenge (I think) I was kind of distracted by his insanely long torso.  He was shirtless and wearing lowish shorts, I think.  Not that there's anything wrong with a long waist, just his looked like he'd had an extra 6" inserted. 

He has always looked a lot like a nephew of mine to me.  

So I'm watching the FB live interviews, and Devon is up.  He's talking about his mom and what a huge fan she is of Survivor, and he hopes she gets a chance to play some day.  The interviewer asks if he'd ever come back and he said the only way he would return is to play with his mom.

So Lauren/Sunny and Devon/mom for BvsW3?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So I'm watching the FB live interviews, and Devon is up.  He's talking about his mom and what a huge fan she is of Survivor, and he hopes she gets a chance to play some day.  The interviewer asks if he'd ever come back and he said the only way he would return is to play with his mom.

So Lauren/Sunny and Devon/mom for BvsW3?

I say bring it on. I would love to see Devon and Lauren play a second time. Playing with their family is even better.

• Love 3

Devon really brought me back around on him in the finale. He had funny, sweet, and smart moments. I wouldn't be opposed to him and his mom joining Lauren/her sister in BVW3.

But this,

Is a bit of s stretch! Devon wasn't strategically adapting a surfer boy persona to hide his gameplay. Come on now!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
On 8/31/2017 at 5:58 AM, Star Aristille said:

Hi.  I find myself to be a "lovable" guy like Ozzy and Malcolm.

Newsflash to this guy: Those who call themselves "lovable" usually turn out not to be. . . .

Devon broke this curse, IMO.  He turned out to be extremely likeable, for my tastes anyway.

9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Devon really brought me back around on him in the finale. He had funny, sweet, and smart moments. I wouldn't be opposed to him and his mom joining Lauren/her sister in BVW3.

But this,

Is a bit of s stretch! Devon wasn't strategically adapting a surfer boy persona to hide his gameplay. Come on now!

Love this from Fishbach.  I think there is some truth in it.

Perception is a big deal in Survivor.  If you play such that people know you are playing, it's rewarded.  If you play under the radar, it's missed.  Ryan played quietly and evenly.  Devon played but his overall genial personality did a good job of disguising it.  I still think both Chrissy and Ben outplayed them, but Ryan and Devon did play - and they played fairly well.    I was ok with Devon voting for Ryan.

I kind of waffle about who should have won - Ben or Chrissy but after watching the summary of Ben's game, I think it was appropriate for him to take the title.   Finding idols kept him in the game without a doubt, but he was an excellent strategist, and IMO, he outplayed Chrissy in this department. 

Chrissy's problem is that she got a little too confident every now and then which led to the game getting away from her a few times.  Ben never let the game slip away.   He worked it at every turn - and successfully so.

I also think Ben's social game wasn't as bad as we may have seen.   He seemed to have worked around camp and people liked him well enough to keep him around during the time he wasn't perceived as a threat.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

But this,

Stephen's been crushing on Devon for awhile now!  And he's not the only former Survivor to do so, by any means.  But Devon got like half the Fishies this season, which is hilarious.

I loved that Devon made the Dr. Mike move, where most people would balk, and I think he got super screwed over.  Poor Devon.

• Love 6

It's almost like, what's the point of even trying to play the game, when it may come down to a fire making tie breaker or idols or advantages or whatever other twist they throw in.  Idols and tribe swaps can screw enough people over.  But this was basically 50/50 shot for someone that had a 100% chance of making it to the end, and lost to a guy that really should have been voted out weeks ago.  And all because of luck and a stupid twist.  I wouldn't blame some contestants for not wanting to return in the future, or growing disillusioned with the show with stunts like that.  Out of the final 4, it seemed like Devon was the more popular contestant.  I'm sure TPTB weren't counting on that. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Out of the final 4, it seemed like Devon was the more popular contestant.  I'm sure TPTB weren't counting on that. 

Wasn't he also the genius who came up with the "cloth of spaghetti"?  (Just had to get that phrase in one last time... :)

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Haha that was Cole.  Devon went first and missed the clue entirely.

We're having a Christmas potluck at work tomorrow, maybe I'll bring a cloth of spaghetti for the gang!

Thanks for the correction.  You should TOTALLY bring a cloth of spaghetti!!  :)

On 12/21/2017 at 11:21 AM, peachmangosteen said:

But this,

In the very beginning, I think he might have laid on the surfer boy schtick a little thicker and did successfully reel in Ryan. I think Ryan was expecting to be strategic half of that partnership and chose Devon as a meat shield, but Devon ended up having more game than expected. 

Wasn't he also the genius who came up with the "cloth of spaghetti"?  (Just had to get that phrase in one last time... :)

LOL, how could I forget the cloth of spaghetti!?! The idol from that reward is what broke up Ryan and Devon's alliance and it ended up kinda wasted, didn't it? 

• Love 1
On 12/22/2017 at 8:15 AM, LadyChatts said:

It's almost like, what's the point of even trying to play the game, when it may come down to a fire making tie breaker or idols or advantages or whatever other twist they throw in.  Idols and tribe swaps can screw enough people over.  But this was basically 50/50 shot for someone that had a 100% chance of making it to the end, and lost to a guy that really should have been voted out weeks ago.  And all because of luck and a stupid twist.  I wouldn't blame some contestants for not wanting to return in the future, or growing disillusioned with the show with stunts like that.  Out of the final 4, it seemed like Devon was the more popular contestant.  I'm sure TPTB weren't counting on that. 

And Devon was by all accounts the more experienced fire-maker which makes it more unfair.  Kind of makes me wonder if they flipped a coin for stations and Ben just got the more sheltered station with the tiny bit drier husk and the somewhat flintier flint.  Which is not exactly like a coin toss to pick the final three but sort of.  

If this fire challenge never existed, Devon would have most definitely made the final 3. Who knows, he also could have won this season. Devon winning would have been a much better ending to such a bad season.

• Love 8
On 12/24/2017 at 10:23 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

And Devon was by all accounts the more experienced fire-maker which makes it more unfair.  Kind of makes me wonder if they flipped a coin for stations and Ben just got the more sheltered station with the tiny bit drier husk and the somewhat flintier flint.  Which is not exactly like a coin toss to pick the final three but sort of.  

Actually...

1. Judging from the below picture it appears Devon had the more sheltered station, not Ben.  Ben's flames indicate what air movement there was came from Ben's right, which means Ben's body provided Devon's position with a degree of windbreak.
  2. FYI - "Flintier flint" isn't really a thing. :)  In any case, Ben and Devon weren't really using actual flint; those firestarters Probst likes to colloquially refer to as "flint" are actually magnesium rods such as those sold by FireSteel.  Probst validated this when he commented on the difference between Ben's and Devon's methods; he remarked on how  Devon was attempting to shave magnesium from the starter, while Ben kept up a nonstop striking technique.*
  3. Once ignited, magnesium burns at something like 4000 degrees Fahrenheit; at that temperature, minor variances in tinder dampness are not an issue.

* Note: I've used these same firestarters before, and in truth Devon's magnesium-shaving approach would usually be the sounder of the two - when Jeff commented on this, as a matter of fact, I figured that was the beginning of the end for Ben.  Only thing I can figure is Devon kept getting impatient and going for strikes before he got enough of a shaving pile to make a difference.  Call it a case of premature ignition - not uncommon in younger guys.  ;>

survivor-fire-making-challenge-ben-devon.jpg

• Love 2

I still think one of his smartest moves was designating Ben as a double agent, which cast a lasting game wedge between Ben and Chrissy which would have gotten either Ben or Chrissy eliminated had Ben not been the idol whisperer and/or Chrissy so good at challenges. I'd be interested to see how he plays with another cast.

On 12/25/2017 at 0:29 AM, TVFan1 said:

If this fire challenge never existed, Devon would have most definitely made the final 3. Who knows, he also could have won this season. Devon winning would have been a much better ending to such a bad season.

Indeed, up to the point that I DID like this season, but then again the fact that he was out before the F3, the way it happened and his reaction to it keeps his mystique alive and is even more reason for him to be brought back. At the end of the day, I think being out at 4 will help him much more in the Survivor universe than if he had made the FTC.   

• Love 2