Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Game Face: Makeup to the Max

Can I just say I really want to marry Tate? Those eyes, those dimples...so cuddly! I had the pleasure of meeting him at a local Horror-con, ( even got a kiss on the cheek from him!), and he is such a sweetheart. I really liked his Mad Max warrior babe, and his spider creature was beautiful.

I was a big fan of Melissa so I was excited to see her again tonight. I still think she bears a resemblance to the beautiful Melissa McBride. 

Adolfo did really well but I wasn't to fond of the paint job on his vampire.

I'm digging this new twist on Face Off and enjoy seeing past contestants.

• Love 3

Three competitions is, in my opinion, too many for an hour long show.  Two competitions with three competitors would be a more pleasant experience.  
With four, I recognized two of them, the third I know I had seen before on Face Off, but she came and departed so fast  I'm still wondering what season (fairly recent) she had competed. 

McKenzie said the competitions were increasingly difficult.  OK.  I'd argue that what is easy for one might be totally out of the talent base of the others.  

So far, this hasn't been anything for 'beauty' masks.  Maybe one of these will be something that Dina and some of the competitors who took my breath away .  Tonight there were three horror masks.  OK.  Now for other sides of sci-fi.

• Love 2

No one seemed to mind the spiders. You know it was completely safe! They're not going to let anyone get bitten and die just to get a face piece.

I'm loving this show!!! Took awhile to find the board. I kept looking under G for Game Face! 

Love seeing the past contestants. Hoping KC competes as she has been so lovely on the boards to all of us. 

• Love 1

When I watch competition shows that bring back past contestants, I sometimes don't remember them, and when I do, I have to think about whether I remember them because I liked them or didn't (I have a crappy memory, so I tend to remember the best and worst). This show, I remember most of them and don't have to worry that they're jerks, because I've liked almost every contestant. I love seeing what they've been working on since the show, too. 

Rick Baker is a delight. 

• Love 3

I was more worried for the spiders than the facetestants, that they'd get flung around and hurt.  Luckily all survived, including the humans. 

Love Tate, so glad he finally won something.

ETA:  I wish the show would tell us what season the artist was on and show us something that helps identify them.  I couldn't remember Adolfo at all.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 7

I remembered all of them just well enough to recall that I didn't care for either of the women and I liked Adolfo.  Tate is older and has gained weight but he's still cute and nice and adorable and I still love him.

• Love 1

I, too, would like the show to tell us what season the artist was on, and maybe show us a flashback of one of their winning looks.  I'll also co-sign with the wish that we'd have only 2 challenges and instead give the contestants a bit more time to create each of them, and give more time with judge's close-up looks and comments.  I'm also loving Rick Baker as a judge, and really enjoy seeing all the judges' comments as they're watching the artists create their looks.

Do we know if all of the episode winners will be brought back for a giant face-off finale?  That would be fun!

This is, for me, a great show concept.  I've mourned the loss of these same quick immunity challenges on this season of the mothership.      

• Love 5

I associate holy water with vampires not witches! When Adolfo said he was going to do a vain handsome vampire, I thought "Well, your model would make a great Lestat." Then he goes and slaps on a full face prosthetic and paints him purple!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Rammchick said:

ETA:  I wish the show would tell us what season the artist was on and show us something that helps identify them.  I couldn't remember Adolfo at all.

He was apparently on the season Laura won and that Tate was a finalist for the second time.  I usually have a really good memory for faces (and Face Offs), and I couldn't place him at all.  Wiki says he was eliminated early on, which I guess may account for my blanking on him.  He kept pace with Tate really well, I was surprised.

Didn't really care for Kelly on her season, really didn't care for her here.  And she seemed a little over her head when compared to the other three.

I'm sure Melissa is a really awesome person, and I know she's a good artist, but she doesn't always seem to have the best decision-making skills.  I remember that from her first two seasons as well.  I mean, when Tate did his witch, he decided that he was going for the simple appliance and just crush the application.  Melissa had a rotten time getting that make-up on, but it looked good, and then rather than step back and thing about it, she just dove in and ruined it, and most likely sent herself home.

I love Tate.  I do think they kind of stacked the deck in his favor, but I also thought they did that with Roy, and Roy missed the ball.  I was very happy to see him win.

Line to cuddle him starts behind me.

• Love 8

Opinion of one here, but I find this show exhausting.  Three makeups in one hour is too much.  Also, I expected to see people from prior FO seasons that I actually remembered, and I'm lucky if 1-2 out of 4 ring a bell.  The only thing enjoyable is the judges commentary while the makeups are being created, but I don't think that's enough to keep me watching.  Coming on the heels of a disastrously boring season of FO, I think I'm out.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Because 2017 has been the year of the purple paint.  Maybe just one rather odd but touching tribute to Prince?

Really cool thought :) 

Wow so much fun to watch this and the judges finally get to see the process and pressure ... Super fast paced but everyone did awesome. 

Im arachnophobic so um no thanks ... Its a pass from me on the spider tank. 

• Love 3

Didn't like Kelly, didn't need her back. Didn't remember Adolfo at all. Wasn't impressed with Melissa then or now. Half the show is just talking heads from the contestants: "I did this, then I did that..." Way too much jammed into a short period. Really boring concept, coming off a real lackluster season. Face Off, I'm afraid you've exceeded your "best before" date by a season or two.

"Glue pre-made shit onto a face and race to do a mediocre paint job" is not enough to form the basis of an ongoing TV show. Goodbye.

Edited by SirOsisOfLiver
  • Love 1

I'm next in line after you, starri, because Tate is as adorable now as he was in season one (which he definitely should've won IMO). Glad he finally won here, I thought he did pretty well considering the time crunch. I didn't remember Kelly at all though I remember finding her irritating, and I didn't remember Adolfo either though I thought he did pretty well, too. Agree that Melissa can have some good ideas and seems like a cool gal, but can't always bring things together in time.

I wish they'd cut back the challenges to two as well, or at least have round 2 build off round 1's makeup. But it's fun to see my faves again, so what the hell, I'll probably keep watching.

(Am I the only Forged in Fire viewer expecting Mackenzie to bark out the time remaining at the top of her lungs like Wil Willis?)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

(Am I the only Forged in Fire viewer expecting Mackenzie to bark out the time remaining at the top of her lungs like Wil Willis?)

No...you are not alone.

"DESIGNERS, YOU HAVE ONLY 10  MINUTES REMAINING IN THIS ROUND TO FINISH YOUR MAKEUPS!"

• Love 4
On 8/30/2017 at 7:04 PM, starri said:

Melissa had a rotten time getting that make-up on, but it looked good, and then rather than step back and thing about it, she just dove in and ruined it, and most likely sent herself home.

Except, to be fair, one of the things she was dinged on by the judges was that she hadn't done anything to the model's teeth, and it was actually her attempt to do something about the teeth (having the model swish some moth's blood around his mouth) that resulted in the problems with the work she'd already done. So her instincts were correct. It just had an unfortunate backfire. It happens.

Tate still overdoes it with the gore, I see. But he's a great guy and I'm happy for him.

• Love 3

Yay Tate!  So glad to see him win.  When the judges dinged him for not really fulfilling the brief in round 2 I was afraid he was out...so relieved to be wrong.  I loved his telling Ve that he wanted to prove to her that he could do a good paint job this time around.

When Adolfo said his vampire spent all his time looking in the mirror, my first thought was "but vampires don't have reflections!"  Just me?  (No, my personal vampire mythology does NOT like to be challenged.)

As a whole, I enjoyed this episode more than the first one, and agreed with the elimination order.

• Love 8