Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: From Seattle Grace to Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

• Start Topic

Having said all that, i do admit I find myself liking George more than I remembered, so maybe my dislike of him is something that came after the fact an poisoned my early memories.  But Izzy I am disliking more than I remembered.   I guess by the time I get to her with Denny and doing surgery on a deer, I'll be hating her guts.

I have to say I'm loving rewatching. I think knowing the fates of the characters and the direction that most storylines take can make the show more enjoyable. With the exception of Gizzie... they were just awful.. although watching them face karma as they realise their deep love and amazing sex was just a fantasy was hilarious. I hated Lexie from her first appearance because I thought she was a threat to Alex/Izzie (I was 15 and thought this stuff actually mattered). On rewatch I love her. She's hilarious - funny, adorable, caring, awkward. Chyler Leigh was an asset to the show and I'm disappointed she was written out although if memory serves she wanted out didn't she? Maggie has her funny moments but she's a poor mans Lexie and rants way too much.

I'm just starting season five where all the significant cast changes start to occur. I like George and Lexie together because I think they're funny in an awkward sort of way. She's now developed a crush on him though so I'm waiting for him to make a balls of everything and turn into an asshole like he has with most of the women in his life. I remember TR Knight said before he officially decided to leave George was barely featuring in episodes. I've yet to see that happen although I'm only 3 episodes in.

Owen arrives and though his entrance is a bit eye rolling I'm not as opposed to him as I originally was. Hahn is still around and I think her and Callie are hilarious together trying to navigate their way around new experiences. I'm not surprised they dropped Hahn's character though. I never warmed to her. I hated how badly she treated Cristina and though she had nice scenes with Callie she was just really cold as a character and not one I was particularly interested in getting to know.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 3

I am not sure about timelines but aren't Steph & Jo residents?  It just seems like in the earlier episodes even when Mer, George, Christina etc. were just interns we watched them do more and they seem to have more hands on responsibility than Steph and Jo do.  I mean there are scenes of Izzy scrubbed in with Burke and he is explaining some complicated thing and firing off questions to her, or when George had to do surgery on his own while trapped ion an elevator, or Addison forcing Izzy to take responsibility all by herself overnight with a Preemie telling her that the baby's life is her responsibility and the baby better be alive when Addison returns in the morning.  Even the nurses are shown to be subtlety teaching while simultaneously  standing back and saying 'you're the doctor you make the call.'

Yep, they've been residents since Cristina left, because Shane went with her and when he left he was just beginning his residency. I remember the chief saying that to him before he wished him well. Saying to him that he can't leave because he's in the middle of his residency. But then Shane said his teacher was leaving so he wanted to go with her so...

You are right, I commented on this as well. The show was just better, they took the time and they simply don't anymore, because they don't have to. Every player was shown to be at the top of their game including the babies (MAGIC) because of course, it was a new show and its success was riding on the viewers latching on to them, and caring enough to stay put and follow them on their journey. So they put more into every aspect of the show including the nurses.  We actually knew a few nurses by name and got to see like you said how important they were in making sure the "babies" didn't kill patients. Keeping them calm in situations and pushing them to make the decision when time was of the essence because they were the only doctors in the room.

Back then it was imperative that we bought into Mer, Cristina, George, Izzie and Alex as having great potential or varying levels of potential  to be successful surgeons otherwise what were all doing there? 

Oh, even more importantly, we had to buy that the Bailey, Burke, Shepard, Webber etc. really cared about them as surgeons and individuals. We had to buy that they too were invested in them.

Yeah, good times, good times. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

In my ongoing rewatch of past seasons, I've begun to see some of the storylines and details a little differently than before.

I'm in Season 8 right now, and every Mark or Lexie moment seems so fraught with impending doom. But I am seeing a little better why we were meant to think they're perfect for each other. I liked both characters a lot as individuals, and I can see more Chyler/Eric chemistry, but I think Mark was better suited for Julia, and Lexie for Jackson. But I doubt I'll rewatch "Flight." I don't think they should've killed Lexie, but if they had to, the character deserved a better death than she got.

But what really bugs me in the rewatch is how they can't decide where Mer grew up-- is it Seattle? Is it Boston? I can never figure it out.

And that goes double for Ellis' career. How long did she work at Seattle Grace? If she worked there for a decade or more, why had Richard not kept up with her? And if she was a resident 20 years before the start of the series, how did she have time to spend a big chunk of time at SG, work at both the UN and Mayo, write a couple books, win two Harper Averys, and then basically fall off the radar screen of the entire medical community for five years while she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and progressed to such an advanced state of the disease? I'm probably spending too many brain cells thinking about it, but those inconsistencies really take me out of the story.

• Love 1

I'm sad. I miss Grey's. I haven't watched any of season 12. I did a complete rewatch and actually finally watched the 2 final episodes of season 11. The last one I had watched was when Meredith came back and put on Derek's ferry boat scrub cap. It felt like a true ending for me at the time. I've realized upon the latest rewatch that while I'm still sad about Derek's death, I'm not as angry as I was when it happened. Instead, I can't decide if I'm indifferent to it because of the sloppy writing of it or if it was just the last straw for me. Rewatching just made me realize how many things I just "let go" the first time around. Now I see that I was putting up with a lot of the writing because I kept hope alive and loved the show in spite of certain storylines, but now I just realize I miss the old Grey's and all of the characters who are no longer a part of it. So, it just makes me sad now. Maybe I'm just nostalgic about the show this time of year. Idk. I just miss it and I know I won't be happy with season 12, so I guess I'm just throwing my random thoughts out to other Grey's fans. Ok, that is all. LOL

• Love 1

In my ongoing rewatch of past seasons, I've begun to see some of the storylines and details a little differently than before.

I'm in Season 8 right now, and every Mark or Lexie moment seems so fraught with impending doom. But I am seeing a little better why we were meant to think they're perfect for each other. I liked both characters a lot as individuals, and I can see more Chyler/Eric chemistry, but I think Mark was better suited for Julia, and Lexie for Jackson. But I doubt I'll rewatch "Flight." I don't think they should've killed Lexie, but if they had to, the character deserved a better death than she got.

I am at S8 too and because I know what happens I too feel a pall when watching.  especially the scenes with Mark and Sofia.

I was completely underwhelmed by S7 -- I hated Peter MacNicol as a character, hated Teddy & Henry's stupid storyline, Christina's PTSD stuff felt tiresome and she and Owen just never, ever clicked for me so their relationship just doesn't work for me.  I liked Alex tho.

• Love 1

I thought S7 had its moments. I really liked Scott Foley as Henry, and although I thought the marriage-for-insurance plot line was absurd, I enjoyed his episodes.

S7 also has "Golden Hour," one of my favorite episodes, and I loved the ep where the attendings go drinking at Joe's, and Cristina is bartending. Mostly because of drunk Bailey, who I thought was hilarious.

• Love 1

I thought S7 had its moments. I really liked Scott Foley as Henry, and although I thought the marriage-for-insurance plot line was absurd, I enjoyed his episodes.

I agree. Their storyline was awfully contrived, but I thought Teddy and Henry had good chemistry together and were among the rare couples on the show I cared for. 

I miss Teddy and prefer her to Maggie a million times. 

And I'll never understand why all those characters had to die. George could have joined the army like he intended to. Lexie could have left for another hospital with Mark following her as he realizes he can't live without her. It wouldn't have any impact on further storylines (no one remembers George one way or another anymore and Callie and Arizona barely even notice they have a child so Mark not being around to perform fatherly duties wouldn't be weird at all), it would just be nicer. 

The only time it actually made sense for someone to die (Izzie), they didn't.

• Love 4

I liked S6 a lot more.  I enjoyed the animosity with the Mercy West people, I liked "I Saw what I Saw" the episode where the mother died and they all had to tell their parts of the story to Richard and the lawyers to piece together what happened.  I really liked the 'Time Warp' episode that showed early Bailey & young Ellis & Richard grappling with one of their first AIDs case.  Sarah Paulsen was great as young Ellis.  Also,  learning who Jackson was and finally the shooting eps.  It was a strong season,imo and in contrast S7 felt like a let down.

• Love 4

I'm onto season five now. Happy out to see the back of Hahn who I could not stand.

It's weird watching George slowly fade into oblivion. I assume it's to do with the BtS drama with Shonda and TR Knight. Despite becoming a resident and rejoining the others he became completely separated from everyone. He completely stopped sharing scenes with Izzie.

I'm at the part where Izzie is having ghost sex. The show really declines in quality with this storyline. Also, Alex/Izzie are just not as rootable as I remember them being. He always seems like a second choice to her, if even that. I just never felt like she was all in. I think had she not gotten sick and they'd progressed as a couple naturally she'd still have found someone she seem to be superior to Alex and left him.

• Love 2

The Dead Denny ghost sex storyline was just idiotic. I think I read (or maybe I just surmised) that Shonda was bummed that she had killed Denny off and wanted to find a way to bring him back. But the show just lost so much credibility with that storyline.

I also felt in rewatching that Alex and Izzie weren't the meant-to-be pair that I thought they were. She was just such a bitch so much of the time, and she treated Alex abysmally. The only upside is that Justin got to do some great acting through all of that. The scene where they ignore her DNR is a great one for him, really shows his range. And I especially love the one where she comes back and wants to make it work, and Alex tells her to go, that he didn't deserve to be treated the way she had treated him. Through the whole series, Alex is the only longtime character who hasn't become unlikable for me. Granted, he was a douche for much of the time in the early seasons, but he's evolved in a good way. Unlike Bailey, who changed in ways that felt unbelievable for her character.

My only complaint with Alex is that he doesn't get enough screen time.

• Love 2

Out of interest what seasons were Ellen, Chyler and Jessica Capshaq pregnant? I'm at the latter half of season five and I think Chyler might be expecting but not sure..

Chyler: Season 5

Ellen: Season 6

JCap: Season 7 and Season 8

I'm onto season five now. Happy out to see the back of Hahn who I could not stand.

It's weird watching George slowly fade into oblivion. I assume it's to do with the BtS drama with Shonda and TR Knight. Despite becoming a resident and rejoining the others he became completely separated from everyone. He completely stopped sharing scenes with Izzie.

Yeah, Season 5 was a weird experience because i knew i was watching back-stage drama seep onto the screen.   I also liked the Eric Stoltz storyline, immediately  and violently disliked Hahn, hated the dead Denny sex -- always have.  I skipped that episode in re-watch.  Felt that the opportunity for Alex & Izzie had passed so their pairing did nothing for me.  Also couldn't help but wonder why Katherine Heigl wasn't killed off then too since her S6 appearances were so sporadic and added nothing to the show and further cemented why Alex and Izzie didn't feel right.

• Love 2

I absolutely loathed the way George's death was treated and the episode with his funeral (where all of his "friends" laughed their asses off, mind you). I get they wanted to show that grief is a process and everyone deals with it in a different way, it's just they never showed them actually grieving. And then they all moved on with their lives like nothing had happened. 

I felt it was extremely disrespectful. 

• Love 1

Out of interest what seasons were Ellen, Chyler and Jessica Capshaq pregnant? I'm at the latter half of season five and I think Chyler might be expecting but not sure..

It's so strange to see the story lines that coincided with the pregnancies.

Lexie has a binge eating problem.

The Meredith donates part of her liver story line.

And of course with Arizona we get the Africa situation and then they drag a 8 1/2 months pregnant Jessica out in the woods just to have her sit around with a broken leg that they amputate and then basically forgot that they amputated.

• Love 3

I actually rank season 5 really high among my favourites. At the time, it was weird to see George sidelined and it's true that the backstage stuff started to come onscreen a bit. But I really liked the Meredith / Derek development that season, I loved the Eric Stoltz storyline, I liked all that Alex got to do in the back half, I loved Cristina / Owen's story that year, I liked Bailey working with Arizona, etc. The finale is fantastic. The Izzie stuff really dragged until she was diagnosed, but after that I thought it was really well done and despite not loving Heigl, I was attached to Izzie and I thought she did a good job that year. Overall I thought it was a big step up from season 3 & 4. After season 5 we started seeing dramatic cast changes, less focus on the originals and less time for characters overall. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 4

I don't think we ever got a real answer, but TR said he was upset that George's screen time was cut.

Really, most assume it had to do with the Isaiah Washington situation and Shonda allegedly taking Isaiah's side and not backing up TR when he came out.

I think Heigl dived into the middle of the Isaiah feud as well. I could have sworn there was some interview on Ellen with her and TR Knoght abut the whole thing.

I adore Lexi on the rewatch. She's such a great character. She had great scenes with everyone and never felt shoved down our throats. Maggie is such a poor poor redux of her.

• Love 2

Can someone give me the cliff notes on the behind the scenes shenanigans with TR Knight and Shonda?

Basically I think TR was hurt that Shonda didn't fire Isaiah Washington after what went down (he essentially caused TR to come out of the closet.) Then Heigl got vocal about it, and then the second incident happened in the Golden Globes press room. Isaiah was obviously let go at the end of S3, and then the Heigl drama really stirred up in S4 / S5. George was diminished on screen all season, and after the finale Shonda said it had been done so that when he wasn't seen in the finale, it would preserve the surprise that he was John Doe. TR said he was never told that was the reason, and that he hated the fact that he had barely anything to do. When it came time to resign contracts at the end of S5, TR declined and Heigl signed on. She continued to be vocal about the situation and how much she missed him - and eventually she left mid S6. 

TR asked to leave. He was still under contract. IIRC, they all initially signed through S6 & after GA exploded they renegotiated raises and all signed through S8.

The actor’s exit closes yet another rocky chapter for the embattled primetime soap, one that opened with Isaiahgate and worsened when, amid rumors that Knight was clashing with series creator Shonda Rhimes, George O’Malley was backburnered. Finally, Knight grew so fed up with his character’s lack of storyline that he asked if he could check out three years before his deal expired. After that, all indications were that he would be let go, although Rhimes didn’t make a final decision until recently. (Contractually speaking, she had until June 30 to make up her mind.)

There's hundreds of articles about the whole mess and each leaving. The above quote is from an EW article that popped up when I goggled.

Edited by windsprints

Yeah, the soap behind the scenes was, for a time, more riveting than what was going on on-screen.  TR Knight seemed to intimate that Shonda retaliated against him for coming out.  I mean, you can say all kinds of things about Shonda but that seems uncharacteristic for her.  And why would you even say that publicly about your boss?  My thinking is that she didn't disappear George because Knight came out, she did it because he basically called her a homophobe.

• Love 1

That's really interesting. I didn't remember all the details of the behind-the-scenes drama, and I had not heard that TR thought Shonda was a homophobe.

I can't remember exact time frame of what went down when in the original Isaiah scandal, but now i wonder if Gizzie was Shonda's revenge for TR's comments. That storyline could not have been developed by someone with positive feelings about the actors and characters, IMO. Gotta wonder who thought that could ever be a good idea.

• Love 1

On the fifth season DVD set, there were a handful of deleted scenes -- WITH COMMENTARY. One of those scenes featured George, and without attempting to locate the disc, I recall a brief mention by the commentator (I forget if it was Rhimes or Beers) of an entire storyline that somehow never made it to air regarding George and another intern. Does anyone remember this or is my memory faulty?  I've always suspected that there were some major creative differences between Knight and Rhimes and this abandoned storyline was part of that. 

On the fifth season DVD set, there were a handful of deleted scenes -- WITH COMMENTARY. One of those scenes featured George, and without attempting to locate the disc, I recall a brief mention by the commentator (I forget if it was Rhimes or Beers) of an entire storyline that somehow never made it to air regarding George and another intern. Does anyone remember this or is my memory faulty?  I've always suspected that there were some major creative differences between Knight and Rhimes and this abandoned storyline was part of that. 

I sort of remember something like that now that you bring it up. Maybe Rhimes put it in there just to give him something to do. I don't think TR loved that George cheated on Callie, then failed his exam, etc. I remember an appearance of his on Ellen's show some time in season 4 where he talked about the writing for George sort of being a bummer. He was joking around, but you could tell he meant it (he said something along the lines of "I'm an adulterer and a failure now" and noted George's constant misfortune.) 

• Love 1

I sort of remember something like that now that you bring it up. Maybe Rhimes put it in there just to give him something to do. I don't think TR loved that George cheated on Callie, then failed his exam, etc. I remember an appearance of his on Ellen's show some time in season 4 where he talked about the writing for George sort of being a bummer. He was joking around, but you could tell he meant it (he said something along the lines of "I'm an adulterer and a failure now" and noted George's constant misfortune.) 

TR was getting upset the way they were writing George. So much, that the producers were calling him a "pain in the ass". He didn't like where George was going and really started hating the story lines. Hence, the bus running him over. 

No wonder he was upset, his character was ruined to the point of no repair. He just couldn't win at life and kept going from one low to another, until he became completely irrelevant. I didn't know about the drama behind the scenes at the time but I clearly remember thinking how weird his character development was. 

I felt like pairing him up with Lexie was the last chance for his character on the show and it have potential, but of course it turned into nothing as well.

The way George was treated also makes me suspicios that Lexie being eaten by wild animals wasn't just a coincidence.

• Love 1

TR was getting upset the way they were writing George. So much, that the producers were calling him a "pain in the ass". He didn't like where George was going and really started hating the story lines. Hence, the bus running him over. 

That's kind of how I remember it (and the EW article sort of confirms it.)  As always, I'm sure that the truth lies between what TR says and what Shonda says, and I think that their relationship never recovered after everything with Isiah.  One thing that does interest me is how Shonda/the writers seem willing to allow input from some of the actors (Sandra Oh, Sarah Drew apparently) but not from others.   Nearly every actor on this show has gotten either some godawful material or has had their character written in a way that probably displeases them (even Cristina with the second pregnancy), but some have been vocal about and some haven't.  I guess it comes down to how much the actor cares, how much clout they have with Shonda and whether or not any of the head writers are sympathetic.

As always, I can't wait for the tell-all!

That's kind of how I remember it (and the EW article sort of confirms it.)  As always, I'm sure that the truth lies between what TR says and what Shonda says, and I think that their relationship never recovered after everything with Isiah.  One thing that does interest me is how Shonda/the writers seem willing to allow input from some of the actors (Sandra Oh, Sarah Drew apparently) but not from others.   Nearly every actor on this show has gotten either some godawful material or has had their character written in a way that probably displeases them (even Cristina with the second pregnancy), but some have been vocal about and some haven't.  I guess it comes down to how much the actor cares, how much clout they have with Shonda and whether or not any of the head writers are sympathetic.

As always, I can't wait for the tell-all!

Oh I agree, it does make you wonder. All the series I have watched over the years, seeing or hearing how a lot of the actors had stories based on what they wanted and others who really want to pay their bills. It does amaze me what counts as someone who can have input on a story and others who are told to shut up and deal with it. Its like with Owen once again getting a storyline with a character he has some "past with" been there so many times you wonder how the guy was even in the military. Yeah, I do look forward to a Tell-all some day because when you watch or read about shows like Grey's you are really shocked by things that were going on behind the scenes. 

It was very long time ago and I've never rewatched those episodes, but I could swear that Callie started out as a weird girl no one knew/liked? And then she transformed into a sex goddess of some kind. 

• Love 2

Remember the article Ellen did about two years ago where she said that Katie's problem was she reupped her contract, took a big payrise and then decided she wanted out, when did Heigl resign?

If it was the end of season five then I've no issue with Shondas bitterness of the whole thing but it it was earlier then I don't get why they just couldn't do for her what they did for TR and write her out. I don't get why she so badly wanted to keep Heigl around since the relationship by then had clearly soured.

Expressing my intense (and apparently very long-lasting) bitterness about Denny in the other thread reminded me of something that I wished had been better handled in season 5.  I have always felt that the writing for Izzie was awful, and did a huge disservice to the character.  For someone who was practically a lead in some of her later seasons, Izzie's motivations have always been a mystery to me and I often had to walk myself through why she would do half of the stuff that she did.  And far be it from me to ever call this show unsubtle, but there were times when I felt that the writing for her could have been a little more obvious in terms of who Izzie was. I was a big fan of her and Alex back in the day and when season 5 started, it seemed like they were going to go with a kind of cracked fairy tale theme in regards to these two.  I remember that the first episode that season had the Taylor Swift fairytale song in it and it ended with the voice-over saying something about reality possibly being better, if scarier, than the fairy tale, as Alex slammed the door in Izzie's face while making out with some skank (God I miss that Alex sometimes!)

Anyway, I had high hopes that it would turn out that Izzie had been wishing for some Prince Charming to show up and fulfill the fantasy of the perfect guy that she cooked up back in the trailer park, but after failing that with Denny and George, she finally comes to the conclusion that there is no such thing as fairy tale romance, and that the guy who had her back for so long and who understood her the best, was actually Evil Spawn Alex, whose idea of romance was giving her a bouquet of cadavers to practice on and probably as far from her Prince Charming as she could get.  I thought that watching Izzie reconcile all of her unrealistic expectations and give up what she thought she wanted to attempt a real and messy relationship with someone who was guarded, could be cruel and very far from perfect, would be a great storyline and would go a long way to explain why Izzie made the choices that she made.  But instead, Denny showed up for the whole middle of the season, Alex turned into a perfect guy who had no problem with Izzie imagining other guys while she masturbated (!!!), and it turns out that he was kind of second choice all along.  Ick.  I think that they kind of revisited the fairy tale vs. real life at the end of the season with the wedding and the arguments about the DNR, etc. but I have always been disappointed in the way that season refused to really follow through on what I thought would have been a great character arc.

• Love 2

That was possibly the worst thing about Izzie. On one side we have people like Leah Murphy who make up this huge romantic love story for the ages every time they take a liking to someone and who deservedly get a mocking treatment for it, but with Izzie we were always supposed to take it a at face value and just run along with it. It stopped being believable really quickly.

I could never get into her pairing with Alex in season 5 as it just seemed so random. The way I saw it, she might have just as well fallen for Mark or Hunt or whoever.

In Season 1, I really liked Izzie, especially her response to Alex's plastering her modeling photos all over the place. But once she met Denny, she went downhill fast. I think Heigl could be a pretty good actress, but her histrionics when she was trying to get Denny to agree to let her cut the LVAD wire ("Do it for me!!!!!") felt like the acting in a high school play or something.

I think the chemistry between Heigl and Chambers probably was the driving force for the pairing, and from a story standpoint, I think we were meant to feel like they connected because they came from similar backgrounds. 

• Love 2

TR sounds like most likely candidate, but any chance it could be Eric Dane?

there are way more knowledgeable people than me on this issue, but I believe Shonda didn't want to let Eric Dane/Mark go but had to cut the cast down because of budget reasons.  

there are way more knowledgeable people than me on this issue, but I believe Shonda didn't want to let Eric Dane/Mark go but had to cut the cast down because of budget reasons.

I think Shonda said she felt Mark had to die because she couldn't believe he would leave Sophia.

Of course it could be someone we've not even considered like one of those killed in the shooting or someone on Scandal (actually the guy that played Harrison might be a good shout)

I don't think its Eric because IMO Mark had the best written death of all the characters who died. It was sort of a celebration of the character, with flashbacks to many of his moments. If its an actor on Greys, George was taken out by a bus, Derek by a truck and the wolves got Lexie so one of those 3 is more likely. I'd then say Chyler is the least likely of the 3 given some of the comments Shonda has made about both Chyler and Lexie after she departed.

Could be from Scandal though but even Columbus' exit didn't feel as nasty to me as TR's and PD's. Or its no one and its all for publicity to get attention on her book.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

I think Chyler also gave notice that she wanted to leave. I read somewhere that she did it the same way as Oh and said it to Shonda at the beginning of the season that it would be her last.

Heigl and Dempsey seemed to both dick around with their contracts so I could see them being the ones she hates the most.

I don't think its Eric because IMO Mark had the best written death of all the characters who died. It was sort of a celebration of the character, with flashbacks to many of his moments. If its an actor on Greys, George was taken out by a bus, Derek by a truck and the wolves got Lexie so one of those 3 is more likely. I'd then say Chyler is the least likely of the 3 given some of the comments Shonda has made about both Chyler and Lexie after she departed.

Could be from Scandal though but even Columbus' exit didn't feel as nasty to me as TR's and PD's. Or its no one and its all for publicity to get attention on her book.

i think windsprints nailed it!  actually in more ways than one.  

but to keep the convo going, i'm fairly certain it wasn't Chlyer or Eric.  Shonda seems think Mark and Lexie had this epic, perfect, romantic ending.  Even though Lexie was literally eaten by wolves, in it's not really regarding as a "bad" death ala George or Derek.  

I don't think it is anyone on Scandal, that crew seems pretty tight with Shonda.

I am going with TR Knight.  In my re-watch I just finished the episode If/Then,  the one where Meredith dreams of an alternate reality-- BTW I loved that in the alternate reality Derek was 'McDreary' LOL.   Anyway, even then George gets shat upon.  In the alterna reality he didn't even pass his intern exam, was derisively called 007 by everyone and basically had flamed out in the first year.  So yeah, even in the alternate reality George had a terrible fate.

• Useful 1