Type keyword(s) to search

Damnation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Who knew the depression could be so depressing? Well done, but probably the darkest drama I've seen in a long time. Not quite sure if I'm up for it, to be honest. Decent performances all around and I did enjoy the soundtrack, so there's that.

I DVR'd it and just watched today, and I'm going to keep watching. I'm interested in the brothers'  back story  most of all. This time period is something I find particularly interesting, so I'm curious how it's all going to play out.

I really liked it even though it is very dark. I watched quarry and sancuary so fan of logan marshall green and christopher heyerdahl (who has been in everything not just sanctuary but he had the most to do in that as bigfoot and jack the ripper) i dont remember the preacher from anything so even though he is the "main" character ide rather see the other peoples storylines (the women were in stuff ive seen too just cant recall what).

Big fan of logan marshall greens prostitute who is gonna grift alot from him. She is very smart and i hope she makes it through to the end of this dark show.

• Love 1

Why does the only black woman on the show have to be a prostitute? Couldn't she have been someone's maid or cook or housekeeper or working on the farms instead? There were African American families barely surviving working on farms in rural areas during the Depression.  It is so pathetic.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Why does the only black woman on the show have to be a prostitute?

I know, right?

And despite the fact that in the 30s illiteracy for black people was four times higher than the national average, that black woman was the only one of the prostitutes who could read!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I know, right?

And despite the fact that in the 30s illiteracy for black people was four times higher than the national average, that black woman was the only one of the prostitutes who could read!

ITA. And if they were going to give her the ability to read, why on earth didn't they make her a school teacher or a publisher of a local paper for black residents? That would make more sense. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Berryman being Bessie's father threw me for a loop. I figured he was one of her "regulars". This certainly makes the scene where Berry confronts Creely about the crucifixion alot more interesting. Creeley chiding Berryman for not acknowledging Bessie's greeting and telling him he should show a little more respect to her because it appears the two were well acquainted...makes me wonder if Bessie revealed to Creeley the true nature of her relationship with Berryman.

I want to believe that the blonde assassin woman's(can't remember her name) didn't murder that little girl.

Edited by FlowerofCarnage
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, FlowerofCarnage said:

Berryman being Bessie's father threw me for a loop. I figured he was one of her "regulars". This certainly makes the scene where Berry confronts Creely about the crucifixion alot more interesting. Creeley chiding Berryman for not acknowledging Bessie's greeting and telling him he should show a little more respect to her because it appears the two were well acquainted...makes me wonder if Bessie revealed to Creeley the true nature of her relationship with Berryman.

I want to believe that the blonde assassin woman's(can't remember her name) didn't murder that little girl.

Bessie/Berryman threw me too. Him being her father definitely put a whole new dynamic to those scenes. At this point though, I don't think Creely knows the truth but I hope he finds out.

I loved Bessie's scene with the newspaper guy. Her literally throwing money at him was fabulous.

I think Connie Nunn did kill the little girl.

I am even more interested in Seth now. Is Creely telling the truth about him?

Initially, it seemed like Creely was full on evil and Seth was the "good" guy. Is Seth trying to suppress his demons? Is Creely truly a puppet who does what he's told yet "punishes" himself for each life he takes.

Is my tv darker than everyone else's?  I can't tell any of these people apart!  All the men are tall thin white guys with aquiline noses and haircuts shaved on the side/long on top.  All the women except the prostitute-who-reads are willowy blondes.

Oh come on.  The scene I'm watching right now has the sun blazing up in the sky and the people are still dark silhouettes.

I'm interested in the time period and the subject matter, but they've artsied themselves out of consideration.  Annoying.

• Love 1

I just caught up on this show, but I’m still not sure about whether I’ll stick with it. I’m most intrigued by Bessie, Creeley and Seth when he’s not preaching about sticking it to the man - though I do understand his message. 

Are we supposed to see the woman whose killing everyone influenced by Seth as some kind of badass? Because at this point I just find her annoying and really the worst of all these horrible people we’ve seen. 

I was cheering Victor on when he was telling Seth that he and his people have been suffering for 300 years hence the reason why he was ready to accept a good deal when it was offered. 

Also, Bessie and Amelia had an interesting exchange. I wonder how they know one another?

Again, I’m mildly intrigued with some characters but right now I really don’t care about any of them or their plights. Still I may give this a couple of more episodes to see where it goes. 

Edited by Enero
On 1/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, SuzieQ said:

Anyone still watching this??  It's dark but I'm enjoying it now that some of the backstory is coming out.

I’d given up on this show but a friend recommended I give it another chance. I did and I must say the last couple of episodes have been really good. 

There were no winners in Seth and Creeley’s backstory. The situation was bad for both boys. 

Glad Bessie got the truth about her past. Those scenes were very well acted. Too bad she didn’t know the truth sooner maybe she wouldn’t have ended up prostituting. 

I’m disappointed with DL’s demise. I was rooting for him and Amelia. 

• Love 2

Yeah. The final episode had its moments but kind of fizzled out there at the end. If they get a second season I’m not sure what direction they can take this to keep things interesting. 

Logan Marshall Green. despite being in his 40s, still has a boyish face and looks (considerably) younger than Killian Scott. I'm sure it was a deliberate choice, but I struggled the entire season with the former cast as the older brother. 

As seems to be common these days, I found the female characters much more interesting than the males. The show would have been more fascinating to me if Bessie, Amelia, and the disturbed blonde woman were the leads. 

And most importantly, I had the opposite reaction than likely intended with the Seth character.  I kept hearing how Creeley was responsible for Seth's old girlfriend, and I'm like, "Huh?"  He wasn't the one lying by omission about who he was, and he didn't pull the trigger.  Fine, be mad that he told the abusive father you were leaving with her.  But to blame him for her death PLUS frame him for several murders? I didn't feel the least bit sorry for him, and was hoping that Creeley would have let him hang in episode 9.  Alas, protagonist and all, so no dice. 

I wish Victor and his family had gotten the heck out of Dodge instead of fighting with the farmers.  

On 1/12/2018 at 9:16 AM, Enero said:

I’m disappointed with DL’s demise. I was rooting for him and Amelia. 

Same, but I figured he wouldn't survive once he showed his courage. 

10 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Logan Marshall Green. despite being in his 40s, still has a boyish face and looks (considerably) younger than Killian Scott. I'm sure it was a deliberate choice, but I struggled the entire season with the former cast as the older brother. 

Agree about Logan. I was shocked to learn he’s in his early 40s. He really does look considerably younger than this and yes, much younger than Killian Scott. That said, I didn’t have a problem with Creeley looking younger, because there wasn’t a whole lot of focus on Seth being the younger brother. Though I do question their true kinship since Creeley was born in a brothel and it is implied to a prostitute. How would they know for sure that Seth’s dad is his, if the mother was entertaining several men? Anyway I found Creeley to be the most interesting and complex of the brothers (and generally all the men) on the show. DL was also interesting and really lost potential. I’m sorry they killed him off.

The only women I find intriguing are Bessie and Amelia. Connie had some interesting things to say especially when schooling Brittani on life for women, but that was about it. 

And most importantly, I had the opposite reaction than likely intended with the Seth character...I didn't feel the least bit sorry for him, and was hoping that Creeley would have let him hang in episode 9.  Alas, protagonist and all, so no dice. 

I agree. I found Seth to be off putting most of the season with his self-righteous indignation when he was living a life of lies and omissions. I could understand him being angry at Creeley for what he obviously saw as a betrayal but framing him for that massacre and worse not being remorseful about it was unforgivable.

I wish Victor and his family had gotten the heck out of Dodge instead of fighting with the farmers.  

Realistically where would he and his family go? They’d built a life in Holden. Best to try and stay there and work through the conflict and try and salvage what they had. Plus this is 1930s American, there really were no good places for a black person and their family to go. There was turmoil everywhere for us.

Edited by Enero
On 1/23/2018 at 4:49 AM, Enero said:

Though I do question their true kinship since Creeley was born in a brothel and it is implied to a prostitute. How would they know for sure that Seth’s dad is his, if the mother was entertaining several men?

There were details like this overlooked throughout the season, but I just went with it.  Because there was no legitimate reason Creeley had to be the older brother.  Another thing I wondered: the sheriff and Bessie's mother met in Memphis.  Why would she have been placed in an orphanage in (or near) Iowa? Why not Memphis? 

On 1/23/2018 at 4:49 AM, Enero said:

Realistically where would he and his family go? They’d built a life in Holden. Best to try and stay there and work through the conflict and try and salvage what they had. Plus this is 1930s American, there really were no good places for a black person and their family to go. There was turmoil everywhere for us.

This is the same show that had Bessie, a black prostitute in 1930s Iowa who grew up in an orphanage, as the only one in the entire brothel who knew how to read.  In addition, Victor and his family as one of the few (if not only) blacks seemingly living in harmony with his fellow white farmers ONLY until he decided to break from the strike.  And after the violence that erupted when he delivered milk to the ice cream shop, he and his family were not driven out of town or lynched! The show wasn't really going for black realism beyond vague monologues and bigoted antagonists, so in my mind, there was nothing to stop them from picking up their life and moving to the next town. Or further west. 

8 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Another thing I wondered: the sheriff and Bessie's mother met in Memphis.  Why would she have been placed in an orphanage in (or near) Iowa? Why not Memphis? 

I think she was placed in an orphanage in Memphis. She told the Sheriff that she learned who he was after sneaking a peak at her records before escaping the orphanage. I’m guessing the records included information on where he resided, which led her to Iowa.

Victor and his family as one of the few (if not only) blacks seemingly living in harmony with his fellow white farmers ONLY until he decided to break from the strike.  And after the violence that erupted when he delivered milk to the ice cream shop, he and his family were not driven out of town or lynched! The show wasn't really going for black realism beyond vague monologues and bigoted antagonists, so in my mind, there was nothing to stop them from picking up their life and moving to the next town. Or further west. 

Good point with regards to the black realism in how Victor would’ve been treated by the white farmers whom he lived amongst. But since the writers are taking liberties with the realism, why would he leave? There’s no telling how long it took him to build his farm and get it up and running. Per the nerve Creeley seemed to hit with Victor  when mentioning how he cleared his land on his own and worked his farm himself. Despite the losses suffered (mainly food)from battling the Black Legion, he can start over right there in that town. He already has a strong foundation with his land and livestock. It’d probably be simpler to try and make things work there than attempting to move and start from scratch in a new town.

Edited by Enero
On 1/26/2018 at 7:48 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

Well that's that. USA has pulled the plug due to poor ratings; I can't say I'm surprised. I wish they'd gone the route of Netflix's "Godless" and made this as a one-season story, with a full resolution at the end.

I'm bummed!! I thought there was much more story there!