Type keyword(s) to search

Weekend Update: Summer Edition - 2017

• Start Topic

I liked it.  It was good to see Alec back and to have an actual sketch outside of Update.  Alec does so much with his face and has the mannerisms. I laughed at him saying he "solved" Afghanistan.  I liked Pete going meta. "Is Pete still on the show? Where is he? That was my Mom."  There were plenty of rumors at the end of the season that he was indeed done.

Alex has some range, going from I'm Eric to Connor Macgregor.

Looks like Cathy Ann has replaced Girl at a Party as Cecily's go to character.  I miss Girl at a Party. 

So Pete is back. Wonder about Melissa and who they might hire.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5

I liked it too. We had the engaged pissed off at Trump Alec Baldwin instead of depressed going through the motions Alec Badwin (and they were riffing on an event that was basically an SNL sketch to begin with) and while nothing reached the level of sheet caking the rest of the material was stronger than last week IMO. Pete's bit was much better than I expected at the beginning, Cathy Ann has never done it for me personally, but it was well done for what it was, and the non-political material was really fun, Still don't like the whole grim reaper Bannon schtick, but fortunately that's not really going to be a problem going forward. And Che's tribute to Dick Gregory at the end was a nice gesture even if my instinctive reaction was "not in your wildest dreams are you even close to approaching being him..."

• Love 1

I think I'd appreciate Pete Davidson's meta commentary more if he didn't mostly play himself anyway (or maybe a version of himself?). He just seems like a little slacker-guy without much experience in the world making somewhat random and not especially deep observations. Also, does he ever go outside? That boy is PALE.  If you're making Colin Jost look like a picture of rosy-cheeked robustness, you need some sunshine, sunshine.

Edited by Sandman

"You might remember Shailene Woodley." Damn, Michael. That was brutal.

Cathy Anne is, to paraphrase another show, the calm breeze in this fuckstorm of a presidency right now. Why does a woman who looks at an eclipse with her one good eye make all the sense in the world? I love her, and Cecily commits to the bit splendidly.

I liked Pete's bit ("Why isn't Kate doing this?"). I go hot and cold on him a lot of the time, but in general I think I'm glad he'll still be on the show. I'd like to see him change up his shtick though, get out of his comfort zone a little bit.

1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

So this was the last episode? Three episodes? Really?

Right? I felt like there was all this buildup and now it's suddenly over. I thought they were three very strong episodes but at the same time, like, what was even the point?

• Love 4

Well I thought there would be at least four.  Take it through the end of the month.

19 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

They need a month to write for Ryan Gosling?

They don't.  The shows are always written that specific week, so that's not the issue.  I'm sure they are trying to staff up though.  I heard there were auditions Wednesday in the studio. Who knows. I'm inclined to believe it was mostly poor planning by the network. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Also, does he ever go outside? That boy is PALE.  If you're making Colin Jost look like a picture of rosy-cheeked robustness, you need some sunshine, sunshine.

I don't know how bad his Crohn's Disease is, but I give him a lot of slack there.  I think he looks healthier than he did last year.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I don't know how bad his Crohn's Disease is, but I give him a lot of slack there.  I think he looks healthier than he did last year.

Well, colour me stupid. I had no idea that he had Crohn's. Maybe it's not just indoor pallor.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

Looks like Cathy Ann has replaced Girl at a Party as Cecily's go to character.  I miss Girl at a Party. 

I prefer Cathy Anne. I particularly liked her this ep. Queen Aunt Tifah. :D And I'm so glad Michael flipped that eyepatch back down. Ick. 

I liked Pete, too. He had some good lines.

I'm not really a boxing fan. I hate MMA. I saw an ad for the fight yesterday, and there was a clip of Connor doing the MMA stuff, so I was confused. I thought the fight was going to be MMA. Anyway, I saw some headlines about possible violence if Connor wins (or vice versa), but I don't know how true that is. Maybe just promo for the fight.

I liked seeing Alec as Trump again. I didn't like that Kenan, as Michael the Black Man, said he was answering an ad for a black supporter because the guy is a real supporter. I did like when he held up the Blacks For Whites sign then the Cash 4 Gold sign.

I also liked Colin pointing out that Trump was listing off hate groups like they're Pokemon cards. So true. He's ridiculous. (Trump, that is.) 

Oh, and when Colin said that Trump pausing before saying "from Japan" was like he was thinking, "Don't say yellow. Don't say yellow," I think that's a real possibility. I didn't think about that, but T was probably going along listing colors, about to say 'Yellow', but somehow he self-corrected.

7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and when Colin said that Trump pausing before saying "from Japan" was like he was thinking, "Don't say yellow. Don't say yellow," I think that's a real possibility. I didn't think about that, but T was probably going along listing colors, about to say 'Yellow', but somehow he self-corrected.

Or "Oriental".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Well, colour me stupid. I had no idea that he had Crohn's. Maybe it's not just indoor pallor.

Yeah, my mom has Crohn's and it seems like she is always pale these days. She gardens and such, so it seems like it's not for lack of time spent outdoors. Not that everyone with Crohn's is pale. It's just likely a side effect for him (and my mama). I always cut him slack for everything, because that disease sucks and I have no idea how he has kept his job with all his time off. My mom just retired early it got so bad.

• Love 1

While it was great to see Alec and Kenan as That One Black Guy at the beginning, I wasn't feeling this finale as much.

Somehow I just haven't really found Alec's impression of Trump as funny since the election. I mean, it was fine before the guy actually won, but now it's just kind of depressing. It's not so much a parody as it is a re-creation of things Trump actually said, and the original is so horrifying I just don't find anything about it to laugh at.

• Love 6

The desk that Michael and Colin sat at was huge.  From the front it looks solid and very elegant.  But I guess this is just a facade.  In the final seconds of this episode, while the band played, Che and Jost were chatting and there was a cameraman in the back.  When the shot cut to that camera's view it showed the rear of the desk, which contrasted greatly from the elaborate front.  Almost pegboard-like in appearance.  The desk looked relatively thin/lightweight and probably can be easily broken-down in between episodes. 

On 8/25/2017 at 9:50 AM, cpcathy said:

So this was the last episode? Three episodes? Really?

Disappointing but it is tradition. The 2008 and 2009 editions of Thursday Night Weekend Update had three episodes.  The 2012 edition only had two.

On 8/25/2017 at 8:54 AM, Sandman said:

Also, does he ever go outside? That boy is PALE

He looked normal to me.  But then again, I am pale.  I have two colors--pale or ruddy.  I prefer pale. 

• Love 2
On 8/26/2017 at 3:16 PM, Irlandesa said:

He looked normal to me.  But then again, I am pale.  I have two colors--pale or ruddy.  I prefer pale. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I myself only come in two shades -- Sandman Travels Everywhere By Tunnel, and "Damn, that is a sunburn."

I caught the first episode on On Demand this week. I liked Che's "When did the Statue of Liberty get so bougie" bit a lot.

I never realized that the there have been summer seasons of Weekend Update before. This thread is proving highly educational for me.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I never realized that the there have been summer seasons of Weekend Update before. This thread is proving highly educational for me.

There haven't. In 2008 and 2012 they did Weekend Update Thursdays for the elections, but those were in the fall, interspersed with the regular season.

Edited by helenamonster
  • Love 2

I think these episodes proved Alex is a worthy cast member.  He does really good character work and since Beck and Kyle weren't around competing for airtime, he stood out IMO. Mikey goes without saying. It's like Mikey is already in his fifth season. He's that polished.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

I think these episodes proved Alex is a worthy cast member.  He does really good character work and since Beck and Kyle weren't around competing for airtime, he stood out IMO. Mikey goes without saying. It's like Mikey is already in his fifth season. He's that polished.

His exposure in "Marty & Maya" really showcased his abilities.

• Love 1

Color me crazy, but we watched this on Hulu last night, and the Tina Fey sheetcake bit wasn't in it.

Edited to add: Oops, just realized there was more than one episode this summer. Never mind.

Edited by Milburn Stone