Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Hella Open

• Start Topic

I wish this show was an hour long.

Tasha dragging Lawrence was well deserved.  Nothing wrong with just hooking up, but Lawrence can't play the role of a boyfriend and bail when it's inconvenient.  He didn't even bother calling Tasha to let her know what was going on.  Dick move, Lawrence.  He shouldn't have gone in the first place.  

Poor Issa, being so sexually frustrated.  Fwiw, most remote controls use AA batteries, Issa.  I'm just saying.  Her taking back the charger had me cackling.  I don't blame her, they're not cheap!  Who was that texting her at the end?

Sterling K. Brown (Lionel) was looking too yummy tonight.  So used to seeing him as Randall.  Too bad he and Molly aren't going to happen. 

I'm really disappointed that Molly is putting her therapy on hold.  I suspect it's because her therapist is revealing things (like the truth) that Molly doesn't want to hear.  On a shallow note, I am loving Molly's style this season.  Her hair, her clothes, she looks gorgeous.

I'm torn on the school situation.  On one hand, Frieda isn't wrong.  But I also understand why Issa is being tight-lipped about it.  It was hard enough for them to keep the program going, and now they have more than enough students to sustain it.  My concern is that word will get out about what the principal is doing, and it will get back to Issa's boss.  

• Love 17

Molly, what? I knooooooooooooooo this bish is not blowing off her male equivalent without even giving him a chance. She would never last in a long-term relationship with a casual and laid-back partner anyway. She's firing on all cylinders constantly, she wouldn't respect someone who's not the same. 

White boy lawyer did not deserve that apology. Imo, for those types it's better for them to respect you as a bitch than snort at you as a pushover. 

DRAG HIM TASHA!!! That was a 100% trash move on his part, and he knows it. Treating her like a damn vending machine that churns out sex for every 10 minutes of conversation endured. 

Issa telling the ceiling stain it wouldn't steal her joy was hilarious. 

If Frieda is so stressed about this, she could, I dunno, go talk to more teachers and try to round up more latinx students? Instead she's just constantly whining and virtue signaling and expecting Issa to shut down the project because 'morals'. She's probably going to end up going back to the boss behind Issa's back and make the whole thing blow up in her face.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 14

DRAG HIM TASHA!!! That was a 100% trash move on his part, and he knows it. Treating her like a damn vending machine that churns out sex for every 10 minutes of conversation endured. 

Yes! Lawrence was capital T trash for that shit. Straight up fuckboy. She was dead on when she called him out for being a 'nice guy.'

This is why you always keep spare batteries around, Issa. But I died when she legit tried to take batteries out of the smoke alarm.

I can't with Molly's ol' self-sabotaging ass. I'm not saying commit if you're not feeling things, but damn, she's always going to be on the hunt if she keeps this up because she's looking for perfection. I so want her to go back to therapy. Her therapist needs to get at her about this nonsense.

I dunno how I feel about Issa smashing her neighbor. Why shit where you eat? Also, I'm going to assume that Issa is on birth control at least because this is the second time she got raw dogged.

I was disappointed there wasn't a new episode of Due North.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

I noticed that, too.  I wonder if it was because they already had cameos this week with Sterling K. Brown and Luke.  Maybe they want to space them out.

• Love 1

I was side eyeing Lawrence with all his honesty.  It's one thing to admit that you slept with someone else.  It's quite another to be really specific about what the "work thing" is.  It's like he's having some of the same issues Issa is having.  He sees himself as relationship Lawrence but he wants to be  swingin' single Lawrence.  I guess that era can begin. But dude, I totally get why he may have had an epiphany that he wasn't really wanting all that during the picnic but suck it up for a few hours before you pull the plug. 

But I was also side-eyeing Tasha a little.  There was, at one point, where she hoped he was a fuckboi. 

Issa made me cringe too.  Good for her for getting her groove on but the actual sex was even more uncomfortable than the sex she turned down earlier in the evening. 

Molly had a sweetheart last season and blew it.  She has Sterling K Brown this season and blew it. That's all well and good but she needs to stop saying that she wants "it."  I'm not saying she has to settle for just anyone but Lionel is exactly what she claimed she wasn't getting from her boyfriend last season yet she won't give it a few dates?  Yes, skipping to being settled is a little intense but still...

I'm confused about things at the school.  We know the principal is racist but I thought the guidance counselor was the one who managed to get the program up and running.  Is she pro-black/anti-latinx students too?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Yes! Lawrence was capital T trash for that shit. Straight up fuckboy. She was dead on when she called him out for being a 'nice guy.'

This is why you always keep spare batteries around, Issa. But I died when she legit tried to take batteries out of the smoke alarm.

I can't with Molly's ol' self-sabotaging ass. I'm not saying commit if you're not feeling things, but damn, she's always going to be on the hunt if she keeps this up because she's looking for perfection. I so want her to go back to therapy. Her therapist needs to get at her about this nonsense.

I dunno how I feel about Issa smashing her neighbor. Why shit where you eat? Also, I'm going to assume that Issa is on birth control at least because this is the second time she got raw dogged.

Molly could have just gone to SZA with fine-ass Sterling K. Brown as a friend and seen where things went, you know? To shut it down that quickly was silly. And I knew she wasn't going to keep seeing that therapist.

I was like "Not the smoke alarm!" Invest in a rechargeable vibe, Issa! Was she painting over wallpaper?

I wish shows were better about showing condom use. Like, they couldn't have ol' boy reach in a nightstand drawer? I can understand not using condoms with Lawrence - they were together five years and I assume they weren't using them - but if Issa is going to have a ho phase, she needs to be using condoms. "I would like to respectfully decline." I fell out.

Tasha wasn't wrong about Lawrence. He's a fuckboi. I was glad she cussed him out. But if she knew it wasn't anything serious, why bring him to a family barbecue in the first place and have him acting like her man? I think she was hoping it would prompt him to get serious - she was being monogamous AT him and hoping that would work. It never does, which I called (I've made this mistake before).

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Molly could have just gone to SZA with fine-ass Sterling K. Brown as a friend and seen where things went, you know? To shut it down that quickly was silly. And I knew she wasn't going to keep seeing that therapist.

I was like "Not the smoke alarm!" Invest in a rechargeable vibe, Issa! Was she painting over wallpaper?

I wish shows were better about showing condom use. Like, they couldn't have ol' boy reach in a nightstand drawer? I can understand not using condoms with Lawrence - they were together five years and I assume they weren't using them - but if Issa is going to have a ho phase, she needs to be using condoms. "I would like to respectfully decline." I fell out.

Tasha wasn't wrong about Lawrence. He's a fuckboi. I was glad she cussed him out. But if she knew it wasn't anything serious, why bring him to a family barbecue in the first place and have him acting like her man? I think she was hoping it would prompt him to get serious - she was being monogamous AT him and hoping that would work. It never does, which I called (I've made this mistake before).

Empress, you just said a word! Tasha was hoping that the cookout with "Rules" (Tasha's cousin cracked me up) would jumpstart Lawrence into a relationship. Otherwise, you don't claim to know what it was but then invite him to a family gathering after several months of weekend smashing.

You could see that she thought they were on that relationship path when they were chilling in her room, watching TV, and she already had the scarf on her head and was trying to tell him about her day. She wasn't about to miss How to Get Away with Murder for sex at that moment. Lawrence, on the other hand, was still seeing her as Weekend Smash Tasha. 

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 10

I think that Tasha and Lawrence were both to blame for the way things ended up.

Tasha knew that this started as sex only and then tried to transition to a relationship. I do agree with what she said though because when she started moving things away from sex only into more boyfriend/girlfriend territory (watching tv together while rebuffing his attempts to have sex, inviting him to a family party), he didn't voice any objections or say, "Hey, I'm just looking for sex on the weekends, remember?"

Lawrence's fault was letting her think that they were not just fuck buddies anymore. If a girl you are hooking up with asks you to come to a family party, that is when it's time to either set the record straight by reminding her that this is a sex only situation or admit that this is not just sex only anymore. But if it's sex only, then don't say yes, you'll go and then bail in the middle of the party. That's just fucking rude for ANYONE to do (not just fuck buddies). You agreed to go so the least you can do is stick around for the actual party.

It's fine if he doesn't want a serious relationship, but that means being honest and maintaining boundaries. It's not fair to start acting like a boyfriend and then say, "Yeaaaaaah, I don't really want to do that."

I loved the montage of awkward clothing removal with Issa and Eddie. Usually on tv and in movies, the girl's top comes off to reveal an attractive bra and then we cut to either sex or just after sex, but in real life sometimes there are jeans that are hard to get off (I laughed when Issa said she was wearing tapered jeans as she struggled to remove them).

I was also cracking up when Issa was raiding everything in her place trying to find batteries.

• Love 8

There are moments in this show where I think Issa Rae is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.  They had to button her up to the chin in an oversized shapeless flack jacket to support the case for no one hitting on her. 

This ep had a lot of gems.  I think every line in the bar scene made me laugh:  catfish basket, sexy walk, your drill must be hard, important phone call, "Wings!"

But impulse-fucking your building super?  He's not even conveniently tucked away in a basement apartment; he's right outside the front door, every damn day.  REGERTS.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, candall said:

There are moments in this show where I think Issa Rae is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.  They had to button her up to the chin in an oversized shapeless flack jacket to support the case for no one hitting on her. 

This ep had a lot of gems.  I think every line in the bar scene made me laugh:  catfish basket, sexy walk, your drill must be hard, important phone call, "Wings!"

But impulse-fucking your building super?  He's not even conveniently tucked away in a basement apartment; he's right outside the front door, every damn day.  REGERTS.

Even in that, they still could not hide her fabulous legs.  

I think this is a show about a bunch of millenials who think they want relationships, but:

• Are too self centered to actually put in the work needed for a sucessful relationship.
  • Are always thinking they can do better then the person they have, so they are always unsatisfied
  • Are a little too afraid to admit they might just be happier by themselves.

This is pretty realistic in that age group and this does it all in a way that makes me laugh.

I love Molly, but turning down Sterling...no sympathy

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4

This, the entire thing had me rolling my eyes at both of them, they are both in the wrong. Once again, women with their denial when it comes to men, looking the other way then bitching about the outcome, or just trying to will things to happen. He just told you that the slept with his ex, he's just out of a relationship why are you putting your ego/heart at risk by inviting him to a family function? Something you do when you are an established couple who has spent some decent time together. Lawrence is acting like a child, how about Tasha, I like spending time with you, of course I like the sex but I don't want a serious relationship, which means I don't want you introducing me to your family like we are a solidified couple. 

Highlight of the episode was Issa risking burning up in a fire just to pop one off, by stealing those batteries out of her smoke detector, damn, hilarious.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 4

Lol, Issa giggling like she's never had sex before. What was the deal with the guy's fingers?

Took me a minute realize that "Halle Berry shit" was a reference to Monster's Ball. Interesting reference.

I think Lawrence's co-worker wants to get herself a tall piece of chocolate. Of course he's completely oblivious.

I'm glad Tasha told Lawrence about himself but I hope we've seen the last of her. (No surprise pregnancies, please.) She knew she was taking a risk with a guy on the rebound. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I think this is a show about a bunch of millenials who think they want relationships, but:

• Are too self centered to actually put in the work needed for a sucessful relationship.
  • Are always thinking they can do better then the person they have, so they are always unsatisfied

This is pretty realistic in that age group and this does it all in a way that makes me laugh.

That was pretty much the premise of Seinfeld also. Millennials may have learned it from their older siblings, or reruns. ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Even in that, they still could not hide her fabulous legs.  

I love Molly, but turning down Sterling...no sympathy

On the one hand, I'm like, Molly turned down Sterling K. and SZA tickets?! On the other hand, even though Molly has now ditched another therapist, I do see it as some growth that she didn't automatically fall into anything with Lionel. He was everything she should want in her man: attractive, Black, successful, ambitious, on the path to marriage and children. However, maybe her curving him was low key an answer to her therapist's question from last week [paraphrase]: "Are you willing to see your life outside what you think the 'should's should be?"

It sounds like what the therapist (and what Issa confirmed in their phone conversation) said may have stuck just a teeny tiny bit. Molly's starting to rethink her need to check off this list.

• Love 6

I have to watch this one again because I was alternately cringeing, hiding my eyes  and cackling so hard at Issa's forays into sexy times.  Girl has NO game. Poor thing.

Man, Lawrence is not coming off well here.  I do like seeing him in his work environment but his --- whatever it is --- with Tasha is so messed up.  I do agree with everyone who says that both of them were in the wrong.  On some level Tasha knows she is just a FWB.  But it just isn't a good look with her passively-aggressively make him into her man.  I mean I also cringed during the part when she was talking about people in her family and their potato salad as if he'd known them for years.  Felt a little desperate, tbh. But Lawrence should never have gone.  And having gone he shouldn't;t have ghosted (although, honestly, her family was just a bit too ... too much! Holy shit who expects strangers to lean in so quickly? and I won't lie, I probably would have been out at the introduction of the "play" uncle.)  But she is dead right that he thinks of himself as a good guy when he isn't really acting like it.

I think I gasped-sighed when I saw Sterling K Brown.  Holy moly, that man is sexy-chocolate.  I get not feeling a spark, but I wonder what is it that Molly actually wants?  We've seen her get over-involved in guys who were NOT interested and  look longingly at other relationships not knowing what it takes to get there, meanwhile she shoots down guys who have the smallest flaw or immediately dismiss guys with potential because they don't check off a specific box.  Is simply not knowing part of her pathology?  I need her to get back to therapy to explore this.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4

I absolutely love this show and the performers are excellent. However I'm getting really freaked out over Issa's sexual behavior. The no condoms thing as many here have mentioned already but also, going to a stranger's house for sex then laughing at his tickly fingers? That's dangerous in  my books. You don't know how some man you don't actually even know will respond to being laughed at during sex! Gah! I did love the whole idea that someone can be attractive but the way they touch you is totally wrong.

The super who is super into Gossip Girl killed me. I love those little details in the show.

I never liked Lawrence. From the beginning he was a toxic blend of annoying, boring and pissy. I think she needs and deserves more. I liked that Tasha called him out even though yes she is also partly to blame but he really acted like an asshole. 

• Love 2

I actually really liked the super. His binge watch of Gossip Girl and his absolute lack of embarrassment about it endeared him to me. I loved be when adults unabashedly watch teen shows and give no fucks that other people know (it annoys me when people act like shows with teen characters are beneath them). 

I also liked that he at least asked if he could titty fuck her. A lot of guys would just do it without asking. And then he didn't get mad when she respectfully declined. 

Heh, the reasons why I like him show juat how low the bar is set. 

I considered giving him demerits for accepting Issa's lie about finding a charger after her party, but I figured he played along for the same reason she made up that story in the first place - he just wanted an excuse to invite her in. 

• Love 2

With Tasha and Lawrence, I...feel kinda bad because while I'm glad Tasha told Lawrence off, the ain't-shit part of me completely understands why Lawrence wasn't feeling it. Tasha is sitting around in bed with her head wrapped up wanting to watch shows on her DVR while Lawrence wants to get it in. Then she takes him to her wack-ass family reunion complete with the geriatric relatives and her play-play uncle. I...can't with the bae shit. Tasha, Lawrence just told her had sex with his ex. Maybe keep it a little cuter than that for awhile. She wasn't wrong and to be honest, I don't really understand why she'd want Lawrence around that much anyway. Lawrence comes off low-key and to-himself, so other than being the dick, why would you want to hang out with him? I'm not blaming Tasha for liking him, I'm just saying I think she can find somebody else.

Molly is also being kinda wack right now. I didn't get the impression last season that Molly's problem was that she falls too hard too fast for men. I know she kind of did with Jidenna, but that wasn't necessarily her fault. I think Molly's used to doing too much, so maybe reversing that is a good step forward, but don't blow off a good guy just to prove a point to yourself, to your therapist, and/or the universe that you can be distant and make decent dudes seem thirsty. Molly, a mature man with his shit together who is open about his goals and aspirations is what it's all about. That bored feeling because there's no chase? That's maturity and stability, boo. It's a bunch of bullshit cues and signals like you're used to.

With Issa, okay...First of all, I want her to tell Frieda to relax. It seems like she's determined to not do too much, which I can appreciate, but she's too pressed for me. Go talk to some other teachers to solicit other children to join. It's not like they're being completely left out; they probably don't give a shit. And I know the school is mostly Hispanic, but didn't the last time they had some Hispanic kids even show up, they showed up just to steal their snacks? So, yeah. Just work with the kids that are there, and don't stress so much.

Issa and her Ho phase are interesting. I'm fascinated by this as a guy. Not that I didn't know about Ho phases, because I've known plenty of women who have gone through them, and I even went through one as a guy (even though I was doing more than just having a lot of casual sex...), but Issa's is weird. I always thought a Ho phase for women was because she got her heart broken by a guy who did her wrong, so she decided not to invest too much into a relationship and just have fun, flirt, have sex, and not commit. But Issa being kind of a ho is what got her to this point. I mean, she slept with Daniel, Lawrence found out and left. I love her too, but that's Issa's damn fault. So if you cheat on your mate and then go have a Ho phase, doesn't that just kind of make you a ho? IJS.

The scene with the Super was funny. With him talking about Blake Lively doing her thing. I'm like that with certain shows, too. I remember I got into an early season of Project Runway several years ago. A friend (with benefits)  would come over and we'd watch it. She thought it was funny and weird how into it I was. We'd be laying in bed watching marathons on the weekend and I'd be like, "yo, I know Uli fucks with those prints heavy, but she's doing her thing, though. Still, I think Mycheal is gonna pull it off." But he didn't and they let cheating ass Jeffrey Sebelia win. Anytime I see him with that neck tattoo that's a poem or scripture or some shit, I'm always like, that is ghetto as hell. That's what strippers get. #FOH4LIFE Jeffrey.

Anyway, he said he probably left his charger but he had his phone charging. Smooth move, bruh. Not. I hope Issa realizes she's not built for a Ho phase. She's too old for that and I think deep down she wants a relationship. And I'm curious: are women usually this meta about being in a Ho phase?

I also liked that he at least asked if he could titty fuck her. A lot of guys would just do it without asking. And then he didn't get mad when she respectfully declined. 

I forgot about that part! Ladies, uh, is this A Thing in real life? Do guys really want to TF? That shit looks stupid even in porn. In real life, I imagine it's probably just kind of weird and uncomfortable and might even be painful. And you ask a woman to do that the first time y'all have sex? Any guy who asks a woman to tittyfuck should be considered to be doing the most, and you probably need to excuse yourself from his whole entire life.

ETA: Did anybody try to find that song they played right after the opening scene with Issa in the dude's apartment? The "I got real bitch problems" song? I found the girl's Soundcloud page. I love that Insecure is exposing more female hip-hop to the masses. That song is lit.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 5

I have to watch this one again because I was alternately cringeing, hiding my eyes  and cackling so hard at Issa's forays into sexy times.  Girl has NO game. Poor thing.

The entire time I was like this is why the original name of this series on Youtube was called Awkward Black Girl among other reasons.  I actually liked that title better than Insecure. Issa the writer/actress has said in interviews how she felt awkward, something about  not fitting in and going to schools here in this country after spending some of her primary years in her father's African country, I think it's Senegal and her mother is from the south.  But going to school in CA and not fitting in with the black American kids etc...she felt awkward, because she didn't get any of the lingo, the culture at first.  In the ABG series her best friend was I think she was white, maybe Hispanic, but it wasn't a black girl.  I forgot where they said they met, but she was with Issa at the very beginning of ABG, writing and finding places to shoot their little series. I think the actress who played her best friend on ABG was in a couple of episodes of Insecure last season, as a character who worked at Issa's job.  I could have sworn I saw her on the trip when they took the kids to the beach. Actually, I think she was in the episode before last when they were having the meeting and the white guy turned to the white girl and said something about I though she was Mexican, something to that effect. Yeah, that girl played her best friend in ABG.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, totally flashing back to ABG during this,  And several of her ABG characters have popped their heads into this series.  Her BFF on that series CeCe does play Sarah on this one.  She is an Indian actress. And the guy who played Baby voice (one my my favorite LOL  gut busting characters on ABG) plays Thug Yoda here.   Wondering if White Jay will show up?

• Love 2
On 8/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, 27bored said:

I always thought a Ho phase for women was because she got her heart broken by a guy who did her wrong, so she decided not to invest too much into a relationship and just have fun, flirt, have sex, and not commit. But Issa being kind of a ho is what got her to this point. I mean, she slept with Daniel, Lawrence found out and left. I love her too, but that's Issa's damn fault. So if you cheat on your mate and then go have a Ho phase, doesn't that just kind of make you a ho? IJS.

Eh, ho phases mean different things to different people, I suppose. Of course the classic/cliched reason for a woman to engage in promiscuity is because she's hurt, but, as we can see with Issa, and I'm sure with plenty of other women, sometimes, you just want to get it in. Nothing emotional about it. Dating can be the pits.

Cheating ≠ho. Depending on the situation. If you're pulling a Tiger Woods, maybe, but I'm going to assume that Lawrence and Issa were monogamous during their relationship, and Issa had a one-time slip up with Daniel. So, 'hoeing' isn't what got her where she is, being a cheater did. 

On 8/8/2017 at 6:38 PM, 27bored said:

Molly, a mature man with his shit together who is open about his goals and aspirations is what it's all about. That bored feeling because there's no chase? That's maturity and stability, boo. It's a bunch of bullshit cues and signals like you're used to.

I'm with you on this. I'm confused by her reasoning for curving Lionel. Someone who's actually interested and making time to see her and she's like, nah? I don't get it. But it goes back to her not knowing what she wants. Molly's one of those types who can get everything she asks for, yet still find fault. You give her the moon and she'll complain about the stars. She needs to have longstanding appointments with her therapist. 

• Love 6

Cheating ≠ho. Depending on the situation. If you're pulling a Tiger Woods, maybe, but I'm going to assume that Lawrence and Issa were monogamous during their relationship, and Issa had a one-time slip up with Daniel. So, 'hoeing' isn't what got her where she is, being a cheater did.

You're right; being cheater doesn't make Issa a ho. I didn't mean to imply that. What I was saying is, having a Ho phase after your relationship ended because she cheated kinda makes her one. And I don't even think having casual sex is ho-ish in and of itself as long as she's being honest about what she wants.

18 hours ago, 27bored said:

You're right; being cheater doesn't make Issa a ho. I didn't mean to imply that. What I was saying is, having a Ho phase after your relationship ended because she cheated kinda makes her one. And I don't even think having casual sex is ho-ish in and of itself as long as she's being honest about what she wants.

She is being honest about what she wants.  She wants to get back into the groove.  Whenever a woman says she's going into a "ho phase" it's typically a tongue-in-cheek way of saying they just want to sleep around with no strings.  And this ho phase is completely divorced from cheating.