Type keyword(s) to search

Season 19 Spoilers & Speculation

• Start Topic

I don't know if or when Raul is leaving the show, it may be this season, or he may stay till the show's end, who knows for sure? Actors leave shows for all kinds of reasons all the time. We don't even know for sure if Andy Karl left to do Groundhog Day, or if he was only contracted for one season to begin with. Right now I'd guess that Barba is leaving, but then again we've all been lead astray by promos and hints that were greatly overblown and amounted to nothing at all. 

• Love 1

Andy's initial recurring contract was for one year, but it's not like they told Andy at the beginning they were going to kill off his character. But when Andy approached producers to tell them about the Groundhog Day opportunity, they told him that it was fine, since they were killing off Baby Dodds by the end of the season. 

I would not be SHOCKED if Raul chooses to leave or is let go mid season. It happens all the time on different shows. Hell, this show kicked Richard Belzer and Dann Florek to the curb mid season 15. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 2

Another sneak peek.

http://www.eonline.com/news/911661/law-and-order-svu-sneak-peek-jack-mccoy-vs-olivia-benson-why-sam-waterston-s-return-might-not-be-welcome

I have to think that the whole episode will turn toward Rafael's "misdeeds" by mid episode, if they  want to get in enough screen time to introduce Peter Stone to the new job and set up wherever they are going with this story. I will say this. If this episode involves JUST a suspension or censure for Rafael, I think that is a story miscalculation, if only because that plot device was used last season against Rafael.  How many times can an ADA be suspended and still keep his job? Because if this whole mess was just to set up Raul's absence for a few weeks to account for his work in "Chess", there are plenty of other ways to go about it without bringing down/muddying the waters of an established character. They could easily have either written episodes that don't require an ADA's actual presence (something the writers have done every season, since Raul has never appeared in every season's episodes), or they could have sent him on a long, deserved vacation and used that absence to set up Peter Stone's introduction to the series. But to go to the well for a second year in a row on unethical conduct on the same character seems rather eyebrow raising, if Rafael will still have a job by the end of it all. Maybe Rafael will be acquitted by the end and all will be well, but when a DA is willing to prosecute one of his ADAs for misconduct, I can't see how that DA wouldn't fire the ADA even in the face of an acquittal. How could McCoy fully trust Rafael again on the job after all of this? So if this is all just to set up Raul's real world exit, I am "okay" with it, only because there would be lasting consequences for his behavior. Granted I would not be "ok" if this show destroy's Rafael's character completely as an exit plot, rather than just simply have Rafael take a new job elsewhere. But I can't be supportive of this show having these type of storylines over and over again, simply for drama's sake.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 3

So they ruined Rafael Barba’s character to justify bringing failed Chicago Justice’ golden boy to the board and they expect us to care for him? He even got emotional backstory in his first episode.

They could easily write him in without destroying Barba. If Barba will be acquitted and suspended for a while, would he really come back and work in the DA’s office under supervision of 35-old, less experienced guy who just arrived? Would he be so desperate? He could easily find job in private sector. I don't want Barba to go but if they'll continue to ruin his character so another bland white guy can shine, I'm done.

• Love 3

Hmmm...another sneak peek.

Overall I thought this was an interesting clip that reveals something about Rafael we didn't exactly know and see how McCoy and Rafael interact (and give us a hint about where this episode is going). Though one small point of continuity. Back in season 16's "Padre Sandunguero" Rafael told Nick this his father had been dead for 15 years by that point. Granted that is just a small point, since the overall circumstances of his death could be the same and just the timeframe different, but I always cringe when show writers start screwing with the details of a character's backstory. Though in this case, it's probably just a matter of the writer not having seen or remembered that episode. But still...

And more sneak peek for McCoy and Peter Stone.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 8:21 AM, QueenMab said:

It sounds like he's just got a stage show lined up for when SVU takes their summer break which starts about April or May. 

He is rehearsing for Chess which is showing next week. So he will be absent for an episode or two but not for long. 

I hate how they’ve completely shit on Barba just like I predicted just so Churnuchin can bring Stone in and make him look good. I like Peter Stone but I don’t like that they’ve made Barba into a pathetic, incompetent fool just to make Stone look good. Barba has been so completely derailed I don’t really care if he stays or not. 

Anyone see the sneak peek where Benson meets Stone? As expected, she’s a complete unprofessional bitch to him and all she says to him is “I hope you suck”! How the fuck is this woman allowed to be in charge of anything, could you imagine Cragen or anyone else being this unprofessional? I hate Benson, she isn’t fit to run a port a potty.

It’s great to see Jack McCoy again though, hope this isn’t the last we see of him.

More sneak peeks for this episode than any for episode I can ever remember. 

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Love 3

Yeah I saw that promo. I found it rather cringe worthy. I get that Olivia is on Rafael's side, but damn does she act unprofessional to someone who is just doing his job and doesn't have an ax to grind with Rafael. It's the times like this I really miss Cragen. He was a far better leader of SVU than Olivia has been. 

• Love 4

A few thoughts about the whole "I hope you suck" scene. First of all, how immature and unprofessional of Benson. She sure sounds like a level headed, secure, and capable leader of a police squad, doesn't she (insert sarcasm of course)? Second, her hoping that Stone sucks sort of implies that there's somewhat of a solid case against Barba. If not, Liv wouldn't have to worry about Stone's competence as a lawyer. Finally, Stone doesn't suck. 

• Love 3

I didn't like the promo. Jack McCoy never has had that interest in poor Barba. And Stone going into Barba's courtroom, sitting in Barba's chair...don't like the symbolism of that. Hopefully, Barba is going to take a week off, and go somewhere besides Benson's crappy hole apartment ( she can afford better folks) and rethink being a prosecutor, and why he's been running on someone else's juice, reasons, and motivation, instead of his own.  And maybe come to the conclusion that being an ADA isn't the path he should stay on. That he's been going along with the Benson Flow because he's burnt out and lost his reasons, his motivation for doing that job. Of course that's probably too deep and introspective for this nighttime soap. I'm still hoping he goes into private practice with Pearson, Specter, and Litt! I can dream. :)

Wait, wait. Based on that promo...

TIIC killed Ben Stone?! Whaaa?

Though I will say, in the video still pic, Winchester seems to have a surface resemblance to Michael Moriarty. Weird!

And it's sort of jarring to me to see Jack McCoy so elderly. So used to seeing his younger days in repeats.

• Love 1

I think Stone going into the courtroom had nothing to do with Barba and everything to do with Ben Stone, Peter was remembering his father sitting in that seat when he was a prosecutor and reminiscing, I thought it was a nice scene.

I also liked the scene with Barba and McCoy in Barba’s office, I love seeing Jack McCoy again, I hope SVU brings him back on occasion. And I’m also glad to see Barba interacting with someone not named Olivia Benson. 

I hope this episode serves as a wake up call for Barba to stop acting like an idiot and stop putting Benson’s needs in front of his, but I’m afraid Barba has been permanently ruined because no character is willing to criticize Benson anymore and the only way to redeem Barba is to have him push back at Benson.

53 minutes ago, Fiero425 said:

If anyone's interested, Raul is acting in that "Criminal Intent" episode called "Lady's Man" tonight on Oxygen! In Chicago it begins at midnight; in about an hour! ;-)

Same episode, but it's on WE here, after the Mothership marathon ends - in 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Same episode, but it's on WE here, after the Mothership marathon ends - in 10 minutes.

I blew it; you're right! It's on WE, not Oxygen! Been a long day! I'm falling asleep watching replay of Super Bowl! Thanks! ;-)

2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think Stone going into the courtroom had nothing to do with Barba and everything to do with Ben Stone, Peter was remembering his father sitting in that seat when he was a prosecutor and reminiscing, I thought it was a nice scene.

Yeah, that seemed fairly obvious, at least to me. Especially since Peter broke down and started to cry at the end of the clip.

1 minute ago, Fiero425 said:

I blew it; you're right! It's on WE, not Oxygen! Been a long day! I'm falling asleep watching replay of Super Bowl! Thanks! ;-)

Hey, we all have brain farts.  :-)  No problem.  :-)

Ummmm....excuse me....I just watched the scene with Barba and McCoy, about how seven years ago Barba's father went into a diabetic coma, suffered along time and then died. Have they totally forgotten the episode from 2015 called "Padre Sandungero" where Barba talks with Amaro in a bar and says his father has been dead for 15 years and his hand still curls into a fist every time he thinks of him?! WTH? All of a sudden Barba has a change of personal history to show a connection with the current case? They still show that episode. Are they going to completely change Barba's personal history to accommodate the current story lines? Are we expected to have amnesia and suspend disbelief and just go along with the new and revised Barba? I like how McCoy told Barba "we're not in the compassion business". Benson certainly is. Is this going to be , as Xeliou hopes, Barba's crisis of conscience wake up call, and in order to detach him from Benson they are just going to expect us to forget the past six years and pretend he and Benson barely know each other?! Is this show going to turn into "Dallas" and the past six years was just Pam Ewing's bad dream?! W T F??!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, QueenMab said:

Ummmm....excuse me....I just watched the scene with Barba and McCoy, about how seven years ago Barba's father went into a diabetic coma, suffered along time and then died. Have they totally forgotten the episode from 2015 called "Padre Sandungero" where Barba talks with Amaro in a bar and says his father has been dead for 15 years and his hand still curls into a fist every time he thinks of him?! WTH? All of a sudden Barba has a change of personal history to show a connection with the current case? They still show that episode. Are they going to completely change Barba's personal history to accommodate the current story lines? Are we expected to have amnesia and suspend disbelief and just go along with the new and revised Barba? I like how McCoy told Barba "we're not in the compassion business". Benson certainly is. Is this going to be , as Xeliou hopes, Barba's crisis of conscience wake up call, and in order to detach him from Benson they are just going to expect us to forget the past six years and pretend he and Benson barely know each other?! Is this show going to turn into "Dallas" and the past six years was just Pam Ewing's bad dream?! W T F??!

So what's supposed to send Raul to jail; actually euthanizing the old guy instead of letting him go naturally? ;-)

10 minutes ago, QueenMab said:

Barba says he watched his father suffer in great pain but couldn't/wouldn't do anything to end it because Father Mike wouldn't have approved. So....that ain't the reason. :)

...and people don't lie when it comes down to their guilt or culpability in a crime? OCO! He knows Jack would prosecute his own mother for jaywalking! ;-)

Who wants to take the over/under on if this is Raul's last episode? I don't see how McCoy could or would keep Rafael as an ADA, not after prosecuting him for some sort of misconduct. I mean if this show wanted to have two ADAs working together, why introduce the new ADA by tearing down the old ADA? That, plus some of the secrecy around this episode makes me think it is Raul's swan song.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1

ForeverAlone I can see your point....the show is going to be pre-empted for maybe a couple of weeks because of the Olympics. And Esparza is taking advantage of that to do a stage show. It would give us a "cliffhanger" for a couple of weeks, but...midseason? After six years? Ok, possible. But as a fan of the Mothership I recall McCoy being arrested and thrown in jail multiple times for his courtroom actions, and even put on the witness stand and grilled on a reopened case that involved an innocent man sent to prison for years. And it was about serious sexual misconduct on his part with another ADA who was working the case with him, that put the guy there. THAT is very serious stuff. Misscarriage of Justice. As a result, Adam Schiff gave McCoy serious crap for a long time because of it...big deal public scandal, and it took McCoy years to get his rep back. Because the guy was innocent and set free. That's heavy stuff but, McCoy kept his job and his Law License. Barba having a crisis of conscience over a right to die case is small potatoes by comparison and in the promo scene, McCoy doesn't seem terribly bent out of shape about Barba's "interference". McCoy's "been there done that" many times. What I can see him being upset about is Benson's "undue influence" on his ADA and leading him down that road. I don't know...it might be the end of Barba, on the other hand, this show is basically a soap opera and this just might be more of that drama bs this show likes to dish to get everybody worked up about. If Barba no longer works for the DA then he an Benson would be free to declare their undying love publically and be together forever openly. THAT is what would make me barf, if they're ending Barba just so they can have "Barson". Yechhh!

• Love 1

Remember how the show unceremoniously dumped two original cast members in the middle of season 15? It's certainly possible that the show could do that to a cast member who has only been on five and a half years, particularly to make room for Michael's new toy (and I say this as someone who really likes Peter Stone and would love to see Peter and Rafael actually working together as colleagues). Plus the fact that this show has never had two main lawyers together, and it seems like Phillip is joining the cast full time. Granted I would love to see more lawyering, but this is a show now built around the worship of Olivia Benson, and more lawyering would take away from that. I also might think differently if the show hadn't gone to the misconduct well for Rafael last year. But two years in a row? It just seems like it is a desperate, overused trope if this was simply for drama's sake. If they wanted some team misconduct to justify bringing in an outside lawyer, they could have done the same thing with Olivia or Carisi or someone, since Rafael wouldn't be able to prosecute them, due to conflict of interest.

Now I personally don't have a problem with Raul leaving, since the writers have trashed his character in many ways. Unless it was to make way for Barson of course, which would just make me angry. 

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 1
El 30/1/2018 a las 2:23 a.m., RafaelBarba35 dijo:

Estoy harto de esta mierda No es justo lo que le gusta a los mejores personajes del programa, un chico latino que crea en el capó, que trabajó duro para obtener una beca, fue un Harvard, se convirtió en un fiscal fiscal, es inteligente como La pregunta es que no se puede hacer, Benson, que está haciendo los argumentos finales de los ridiculizados, tomando casos que nunca verían una sala de tribunal en la realidad vida, y tomar decisiones estúpidas todo en nombre de la visión de justicia de Olivia Benson. 

Entiendo que la persona más preocupada por las víctimas, pero más fácil de lo que es pensar en cómo afectar la víctima cuando pierda un caso débil. Hiciéndolos pasar por el proceso de contar su historia a un grupo de extraños y luego saber que no los creían. Eso tiene que ser traumático.

Y ahora está haciendo acrobacias estúpidas como la escena del ascensor con los jurados. ¿O ahora de manera que se interfiere con un caso y pone en peligro la oficina del fiscal? De Verdad? ¿Por qué no podemos tener una historia convincente de Barba que no lo involucre haciendo algo estúpido? Él no es un tipo estúpido. ¿Por qué insisten en escribirle así? Es molesto. Y ahora tienen que traer al joven blanco para asegurar que no se equivoque. O algo de mierda Me parece molesto Aparecer , solo las personas pueden ser promovidas en este programa.Amaro fue descartado como una causa perdida, Fin pasó el examen de sargentos pero tenía que perder la unidad (Munch y Benson no), y ahora a Barba se le había tirado por la borda porque los escritores querían que hiciera a Benson. ofertas. Yo no lo haría 

Raúl Esparza es blanco como Andy García y otros cubanos que son éticamente caucásicos 

Es curioso que los hispanos que son caucásicos se describen como no blancos, aunque sus rasgos indican una clara descendencia europea, 

Esto es simplemente molesto Nadie piensa en Charlie Sheen como un no-blanco, pero si hubiera sido llamado por su nombre real, Carlos Estevez entonces ... ¿sería "un muchacho latino, no blanco?

Edited by bubibartra
  • Love 3

It didn't register that the Stone mentioned at the funeral was Ben! Wow; taking us all the way back! His son didn't care for him since the job was more important than his family I guess! McCoy had the same problem with his daughter until later on when she agreed to meet him! Lenny Briscoe couldn't save his daughter for the same reason! It's not like these people are doctors with people needing care around the clock! What makes people ignore their families? I should talk since my parents were career people! They couldn't even retire with people nagging them to help them one more time! They still tried to spend time, take vacations, and to be around when needed! ;-)

OMG, now I see how Rafa's prosecuted and thrown under the bus by McCoy! I know what he was thinking, but hard to believe he went thru with it! Wow! Could I pull the plug on my mom? In a heartbeat! ;-(

I like Carisi a lot (mostly I like there isn't a male cop with rage issues running around every episode anymore), but I like objectivity more. My new fear for the season, especially if there will be a season 20, is that Stone will be the new Bad Guy, for actually doing the prosecution job correctly and not according to Benson, so Carisi will have to "step in" and go over to the prosecution side of things to save the office and act in accordance with Liv.

I fear St. Olivia will break down Peter's objectivity as well. I've seen hints that point in that direction from interviews, and it pisses me off that this show writes a freaking cop as knowing the law better than seasoned prosecutors. Oh hell no! 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

I like Carisi a lot (mostly I like there isn't a male cop with rage issues running around every episode anymore), but I like objectivity more. My new fear for the season, especially if there will be a season 20, is that Stone will be the new Bad Guy, for actually doing the prosecution job correctly and not according to Benson, so Carisi will have to "step in" and go over to the prosecution side of things to save the office and act in accordance with Liv.

Speaking of a rage-aholic; not sure where I read it, but there are hints of Meloni making a comeback for the right money! That's what's going to kill his chances; one of the reasons he was sent packing! ;-)

Edited by Fiero425

I hope Stone doesn’t become Benson’s puppet like Barba did. Mariska’s ego is destroying all the other characters in that she demands Olivia always be right and everyone else bow to her wishes. If Stone becomes a dickless bitch like Barba did I will be very pissed off. It’s time we got an objective prosecutor who did his job instead of following the commands of Benson. God I’ve come to hate Olivia, she’s ruining the show, if she was gone the show would be so much better. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I hope Stone doesn’t become Benson’s puppet like Barba did. Mariska’s ego is destroying all the other characters in that she demands Olivia always be right and everyone else bow to her wishes. If Stone becomes a dickless bitch like Barba did I will be very pissed off. It’s time we got an objective prosecutor who did his job instead of following the commands of Benson. God I’ve come to hate Olivia, she’s ruining the show, if she was gone the show would be so much better. 

I think that ship has sailed. When Meloni left, there was a real opportunity to rebuild it as a squad series after devolving for years into "will-they-or-won't-they" with Benson & Stabler. Instead, they turned it into The Olivia Benson Hour. She's the center of every case, she's a magnet to every powerful man who becomes a regular, and even though she's been promoted well out of the detective category, for some reason she's the lead on every case from basic crime scene work to the courtroom.

Mariska/Benson is just insufferable.

And NBC ditched the Mothership to keep this dreck going.

• Love 4

Amaro got a fair share of ass kissing too. Looking back, at least with Stabler, Fin never hesitated to call him out. Munch never put up his own money to bail him out of jail when he deserved to be in jail. He was on for less time yet I feel like he had just as much drama as Stabler with even more support.

Rollins got away with a ton by still having her job, but her mistakes her held against her. Usually by Liv of all people. That time Liv went for the low blow with "I thought motherhood would change you" when she thought Rollins did that press leak only to find out it was Dodds, Rollins had nothing at all to do with it, and apparently never owned up to it and told it as an aside at Dodds' funeral still annoys me. Tucker was right and doing his job when he'd investigate Stabler and Amaro but he was the bad guy until Liv suddenly needed a personal life.  Carisi was treated like a moron just because he was friendly and brought in pastry for the squad when he first came on . Now, watch, Stone will be shat on for not being a team player. There's no middle ground.

• Love 4

So...does anyone have any spoilers that indicate that this might someday become a show worth watching again? Like...maybe Carisi or Rollins will get an episode? Or Fin will...get more than one line?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

So...does anyone have any spoilers that indicate that this might someday become a show worth watching again? Like...many Carisi or Rollins will get an episode? Or Fin will...get more than one line?

Magic 8 Ball says, "Not likely."

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

Spealing of a rage-aholic; not sure where I read it, but there are hints of Meloni making a comeback for the right money! That's what's going to kill his chances; one of the reasons he was sent packing! ;-)

I just can't see it. I'm sure he would return for a guest spot, but on a regular basis? He seems to be quite happy and has a great career with a variety of projects. And if the money required to keep him on against his creative instincts and judgement was cost prohibitive with higher ratings and budgets how would they afford him now? Would Mariska accept sharing the spotlight again? I can't see her being happy with a strong showrunner and a co-lead who would probably be more popular with the fanbase and have a lot of pull. I'm sure NBC and Dick Wolf would be thrilled if he came back again since it would probably guarantee a ratings bump and a record breaking Season 21, but there are just too many obstacles in the way for me to think it will happen. I hope that he does come back before the end though for a proper and respectful sendoff!

After watching the last three episodes (19.11, 19.12, and 19.13) ,has anyone noticed that when Benson interviews the victims? That it's always Benson telling the victims how she can relate to them, their situations and it ends up more about Benson than the victims?

• Love 2

That pretty much the current state of this show. Just like how Rafael's last speech was about amazing Olivia was, and she barely said anything about him. Even though HE was the one leaving. It's all about her, and that is the show's biggest detriment right now, in my opinion. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Apparently, during the Carisi centric episode, one of his nieces is the rape victim.

Terrific, more personal bullshit. At least it isn’t Noah in danger but somehow I’m sure they will manage to make this episode entirely about Benson once again, everything has to revolve around her, all the victim’s stories now are about how St Olivia relates to them, Barba’s exit was all about her etc.

I find it interesting how often the show has returned to the Cassidy well over the years. I don't particularly hate Cassidy, though he always comes across rather rough and not that smart. I wouldn't mind seeing Munch or Cragen again, just to change it up a bit. 

As for Dominic's niece, it will be interesting to see how that all plays out. This show has had an extensive history of playing fast and loose with their characters' back stories, and writing character stuff that fits the episode at hand, rather than building a coherent character with a coherent back story. 

• Love 2

I’m not a fan of Cassidy, he can be interesting but he isn’t that smart, he’s sleazy and he has no chemistry with Benson, I’m not surprised that he’s gotten himself into more, well, mayhem. The only thing that would make this episode interesting is if Cassidy does turn out to be dirty, because everything else is unoriginal, even the storyline about a doctor getting killed after a trial for sexual assault was done in season 10’s Lead. 

And then Carisi’s niece as a victim, yet again a family member as a victim which SVU has done to death, I’m tired of it, and somehow I know they will make this Episode all about Benson even if it’s Carisi’s niece. I also wonder if the episodes will have it where Stone is skeptical of SVU and questions their personal involvement and then when they clear the cases Stone will realize just how almighty the glory of St Olivia is, I’m afraid that’s where they are going since Benson can’t be anything but 100% right, I’m afraid they will make Stone into her spineless fanboy just like Barba became. 

2 hours ago, ForeverAlone said:

I find it interesting how often the show has returned to the Cassidy well over the years. I don't particularly hate Cassidy, though he always comes across rather rough and not that smart. I wouldn't mind seeing Munch or Cragen again, just to change it up a bit. 

I thought his return in the S13-15 was actually good stuff, going back to a S1 character after 13 years had an interesting dynamic. Now? There’s nothing left to do with the character. And it’s without question I’d much prefer to see Munch or Cragen put in an appearance. I think it’s been since S16 for Cragen and S17 for Munch. Noah would be more bearable if we saw Grandpa Cragen or Uncle Munch playing catch or something with him. I wonder if Florek and Belzer are enjoying their retirement and don’t want to occasionally film a show or if the crack monkeys in charge are too busy with the current drivel to consider asking them back.

• Love 3