Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

That happened with Daryl over at The Walking Dead. He was only suppose to be a short-term character but the writers/producers loved his character so much that they kept him and now he is one of the most beloved characters in the fandom.

Yeah, this happens a lot. In addition to the ones already mentioned, Summer Roberts was never supposed to be a main character on The O.C.; she was envisioned as a minor supporting character but everyone loved Rachel Bilson's performance so much that they made her a regular after 13 episodes (and she ended up being one half of an "endgame" couple, too).

At least with The O.C., that was due to Josh Schwartz's inexperience. It was his first show, he was one of the youngest showrunners ever at like 26 I think when The O.C. premiered and eventually it showed. The show ran through too many storylines way too quickly that it was burned out by the end of S2. And Josh has admitted this over the years and talked about all he learned doing that show.

The problem with RIB when it comes to Glee is that they just didn't really have a plan beyond maybe the Pilot for this show or characters and just half-assed it, enjoying the perks of it being a success. When things started going downhill, helped greatly by the moronic S3 decision, they just stopped caring at all and just threw complete and utter crap hoping something would stick. Not to mention that judging by their bullshit "meta" which actually isn't even really meta (because not even that they can get right), they seem to take no responsibility for the show's massive demise and instead put it on the viewers and fans.

(edited)

I totally agree the runaway success of Glee caught them by surprise. They literally ran out of ideas by Season 2 , or rather they didn't care to flesh out the characters at all. Finn was the most flagrant example of a " plot device" they ruined one of their leading characters from a combination of laziness/indifference/hubris.

The retread of worn out ideas from love triangles to losing virginity to Sue threatening Glee was such tired slop.

Edited by caracas1914

Fly/I Believe I Can Fly? No.

Ugh! I hated everything about that performance. Actually I disliked the whole episode.

I would have liked to see Pretty/Unpretty in there instead.

Agreed. Perfect example of what the Glee music producers can do when they use their power for good. 

• Love 1

That lists reminds of the hypocrisy on Glee. It's wrong to sing songs by Bobby Brown or Chris Brown but R Kelly and the Rolling Stones are no problem?

The only one on that list I would've chosen was Rumour Has It/Someone Like You. I would've had both the season 1 mash ups, and I have a soft spot for Dangerzone/Old Time Rock n Roll.

(edited)

The TV Guide article does reference DSB, like its kind of a given.

Yeah, I'm not still (ever) swooning over Klaine. I don't know who would be after season 3.

Edited by indeed

No Jessie's Girl? I freely admit Cory was not the best singer on the show but that was one of Glee's seminal performances.

I always thought Cory was great, but I freakin hate Jessie's Girl. I hate the song, the women is obviously nothing more than an object to be owned.

If I had to name my top 10 Glee performances, Jessie's Girl wouldn't be on there. I'm not sure it would even make the top 25. I think I've Gotta Be Me is my favorite Finn number. It wasn't like a big character moment, or a big show stopper, but I think Cory was great and so enthusiastic during that one, and it always made me smile watching it.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is from some entertainment blog:

Glee cast come out to support Kindred Adoption

One-third is about the fundraiser for the foundation started by Samantha Futerman and Jenna (and a trailer for the Twinsters documentary), one-third about how the cast felt filming the last performances (spoilers for some cast returning which I think is common knowledge by now), and the last third is about Darren's songs (the word "milestone" makes an appearance again). 

Edited by fakeempress

Longer version online of the TV Guide Best and Worst performances. From the intro:  "Also, "Don't Stop Believin'" is obviously the clear winner in all-time best Glee performances, so we didn't include it in our list."

http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/best-worst-glee-1037798/

I also 100% agree that Pretty/Unpretty should be on any top mash-up list - and on this one as well.  A really great mash-up plus it was perfect for the episode, too.

Longer version online of the TV Guide Best and Worst performances. From the intro:  "Also, "Don't Stop Believin'" is obviously the clear winner in all-time best Glee performances, so we didn't include it in our list."

http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/best-worst-glee-1037798/

I also 100% agree that Pretty/Unpretty should be on any top mash-up list - and on this one as well.  A really great mash-up plus it was perfect for the episode, too.

Did Heather Morris write that? Seriously how many inclusions did Brittany get? Much as I don't like it I sort of get I'm A Slave For You or Lanslide, but Something Stupid? Seriously? 

I think Dianna just  became a strong contender for the first to pen the Glee tell-all.

Exactly what I thought! I mean, she was fairly polite about it, but still. Haha, subtly shading RIB left and right. 

When you think about it, Ryan worked them like like DOGS ( IIRC  Mike O'Malley said he had never seen a harder working schedule on a TV show) and wanted to dump them after 3 seasons.

He's a prize, that one.

• Love 1

When you think about it, Ryan worked them like like DOGS ( IIRC  Mike O'Malley said he had never seen a harder working schedule on a TV show) and wanted to dump them after 3 seasons.

He's a prize, that one.

The fact that they would send someone to check on them to make sure they were too sick to actually work, shows how much of work horses RIB turned them into. 

Hum I really got the sense that some (a good bit) of it was mostly directly at more recent working situations.

The fact that they would send someone to check on them to make sure they were too sick to actually work, shows how much of work horses RIB turned them into. 

That could be standard  tbh.  Shutting down a day is big money.

• Love 1

I doubt the description of the hardworking schedule described recent working conditions for Dianna.

Of course I didn't mean that one because that question was specific to glee, ergo why I said SOME of it.

Edited by tom87

I really didn't see anything we didn't already know and hadn't already heard in several other interviews.  Almost every single one of them have said that Glee, especially in the early years, had a brutal brutal schedule.  I also didn't get the impression she threw shade at any of her co-stars on Glee.    

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

A " good bit", no?

It's the bitch in me that seems to think that Dianna had friction with her co stars throughout her Glee tenure per the interview. A good bit.

A " good bit", no? or maybe or yes.

Not saying all but she has also had to change cast, crew and directors  a lot in the past year or two and that is going to give you a lot more  people and  differences to deal with. 

She also seemed  a couple times to allude to more recent  times and actors.    So yeah a bit more which  does not even mean majority just more than it may seem on the surface.  It is easy to assume it  mostly about glee but with how much she has worked recently it is possible that is the focus.

Edited by tom87

I'm not denying Dianna maybe also alluding to recent projects/actors , but she does seem to reference to friction also within the Glee set as teaching her how to cope with others. As a family they bickered yet worked as a team. That was definitely Glee.

If I'm remembering correctly by the end of the 2011 tour everyone had been sick (like needed antibiotics sick) at least once. I remember seeing a picture of some of them landing back in L.A. and they looked like the walking dead. I think Amber was in a wheelchair.

“We got to the point, second and third season of Glee where you’re like.. not disrespectfully, but, you know, if there was a director saying, “well I think your character is doing this right now”, you would really want to ask them “why?”, and make sure that they had reasons that kind of fit with this character that you’ve been building.”

I think Dianna is throw shade with this quote.

Well, it fits with what Ryan meta'd in The New Normal, with the Quinn character ("Brynn") getting killed off bc the actress who played her questioned his decisions.

A " good bit", no?

It's the bitch in me that seems to think that Dianna had friction with her co stars throughout her Glee tenure per the interview. A good bit.

Must be, because I haven't heard anything about Dianna having friction with her costars - the only issues I ever heard were with Ryan Murphy screwing her (and Quinn) over because they dared to question him. 

Hearing Diana talk about the work condition on Glee, is why I hate when the original cast is disregard or dismiss in talks about the success of Glee. It's why I hate when the fandom dismissed or disregard one of the original actors. The original cast worked HARD to help Glee become the success it was. All of them, whether they had one line or no lines, had to be there for rehearsal and filming. On top of all this work, they had to do for filming an episode, they also had to do a tour when they were done filming. Because most of them were newbies, they didn't even get adequate payment for all this hard work. I have great admiration for these people when it comes to their work ethics and the amount of blood and sweat they gave to help Glee become the success it was. Just for that, I think RIB should have shown more respect to them as actors.

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 12

Hearing Diana talk about the work condition on Glee, is why I hate when the original cast is disregard or dismiss in talks about the success of Glee. It's why I hate when the fandom dismissed or disregard one of the original actors. The original cast worked HARD to help Glee become the success it was. All of them, whether they had one line or no lines, had to be there rehearsal and filming. On top of all this work they had to do for filming an episode, they also had to do a tour when they were done filming. Because most of them were newbies, they didn't even get adequate payment for all this hard work. I have great admiration for these people when it comes to their work ethics and the amount of blood and sweat that gave to help Glee become the success it was. Just for that,  I think RIB should have shown more respect to them as actors.

The newbies would've had those hours and those conditions without any of the credit that goes with it. To somehow suggest that the original cast is somehow put upon because they were part of the original success is ridiculous.

According to most Glee fans the original cast are the only reason Glee was a success and everyone who came after is inferior in terms of talent and now apparently work ethic.

I think that from Season 4 on, they did not have quite the same grueling schedule, though I'm sure the last-minute rewrites and long days were still there. I remember reading articles, etc from S1-3 and they practiced dancing in that trailer studio for hours, after running lines for hours, then when most actors on TV had a few months off, they did huge tours with plenty of choreography, etc. The newbie cast didn't. While not the ONLY reason for the initial success of Glee, the original cast and their work, chemistry, etc was a huge part of it.

• Love 4