Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

I have absolutely no understanding of how what Mark did and what Lea did is any different.  They both posted a photo on social media.  How is that any different because he posted it 2 days later??

The difference is that Lea did it. Everything she does seems to be suspect. Look, I have side-eyed plenty of her social media posts, but this? That's a bridge too far for me. No one knows from the outside what a person is dealing with personally. Like I said, if she hadn't referenced Finn/Corey, people would have said she didn't care.

As for her trying to send a message because of Samchel, Lea didn't write that. I am well on record in my absolutely disgust at the Samchel story and specifically how it has been disrespectful to both Finn and Mercedes previous relationships with Sam and Rachel and Rachel's friendship with Mercedes, but that's on RIB. I doubt Lea had any say it in it or is all that worked up about it one way or the other. 

• Love 3

I have absolutely no understanding of how what Mark did and what Lea did is any different. They both posted a photo on social media. How is that any different because he posted it 2 days later?? To me, that is such a bizarre line to draw. Maybe it's promo for the episode tomorrow!

Not the person you're responding to, but to me there's a difference in Mark posting a picture that he took and Lea posting an artsy photo that someone had to take of her from behind. It's not a big deal, but it does take away some of the sincerity to me. But I roll my eyes at probably 90% of stuff that people, famous and not, post on their social media pages because it all seems so calculated. For the record, I think it's nice that she took the jersey.

Edited by dlyn
  • Love 2

Not the person you're responding to, but to me there's a difference in Mark posting a picture that he took and Lea posting an artsy photo that someone had to take of her from behind. It's not a big deal, but it does take away some of the sincerity to me. But I roll my eyes at probably 90% of stuff that people, famous and not, post on their social media pages because it all seems so calculated.

I know this is a message board and everyone's entitled to their opinions and such, and at the risk of coming off preachy, I do want to say one thing.  I find it pretty gross to judge and question the motivation of any of the cast on how they want to remember Cory/Finn or their time on the show.  

I just feel like people forget that the actors are real life people and not every action is some intensely calculated event.  

But to your point, that is the nature of social media.  You're sharing personal thoughts online for others to see.  I just see no difference between Mark/Lea's intention.  They're both posting a nice sentimental photo.  And Mark had to plan where to put that plaque, take that photo, and tweet about it.  But, again, I don't question his motivations behind it.  I think it's a nice gesture.

For all you know, Lea decided to get that jersey and a friend happened to snap a nice photo on their iPhone.  Hang out with my friends and those kinds of "artsy" photos happen pretty much everyday.  But, even if it was a planned photo, who cares.  It's a nice memory for them and a nice memory to share.

Edited by dizzyizzy01
  • Love 7

there's a difference in Mark posting a picture that he took and Lea posting an artsy photo that someone had to take of her from behind. It's not a big deal, but it does take away some of the sincerity to me.

I think someone,maybe from the camera people, took both Lea's and RIB's pics that Lea and Brad F. ended up posting, because they look very similar in the way they're shot. It doesn't mean though that what the pics convey is insincere - on the contrary. I think Lea meant it in a very heartfelt way.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

So ridiculous I bet  if Lea waited a week and posted the picture of the jersey some people would still claim it was in bad taste or done for PR.      People are constantly looking for  things to complain about when its comes to Lea.   Amber liked Lea picture and Telly responded positively to the picture  and maybe more cast/crew so if they were fine with it so be it.

And oh my if Lea posted nothing and then this picture from Mark popped up,  oh boy the haters would have been in line saying Mark cares and Lea doesn't. blah blah.

Can't be said enough she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.     

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1
Can't be said enough she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

While I agree with that what I disagree with is that that sort of attitude is limited to her.  That is always what I have taken issue with - that she alone is unfairly judged or that she alone is someone people are always looking for something to complain about.  I simply don't believe she gets judged any more unfairly than any number of celebrities so it makes me roll my eyes when some in the Glee fandom try to martyr her or for that matter Darren, Chris, Cory, Naya, etc.  They all have both admirers and detractors who have stepped over the line.  

So my caveat is can't be said enough it isn't Lea alone who is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't and anytime anyone tries to tell me she gets it worse than the other actors of Glee or for that matter actors outside of Glee will find me saying no I don't agree with that.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 3

While I agree with that what I disagree with is that that sort of attitude is limited to her.  That is always what I have taken issue with - that she alone is unfairly judged.  I simply don't believe she gets judged any more unfairly than any number of celebrities so it makes me roll my eyes when some in the Glee fandom try to martyr her or for that matter Darren, Chris, Cory, Naya, etc.  They all have both admirers and detractors who have stepped over the line.  

Oh they all have crazy fans and critics, but Lea does get more just because she's more high profile.  And I do believe it's also because she's a woman (although to that end Naya gets a lot of flack also).  I mean, there are articles about Lea and Arianna fighting on the set of Scream Queens already, and 1. production hasn't started yet, and 2. they haven't even formally met.  You don't see any articles about Chris/Darren/Matt feuding with co-stars.  

Even here, nobody's questioned Mark's tweet, but you clearly see a couple of people questioning Lea's motivations.

I don't think anyone is a martyr though.  It isn't that serious.

Edited by dizzyizzy01

While I agree with that what I disagree with is that that sort of attitude is limited to her.  That is always what I have taken issue with - that she alone is unfairly judged or that she alone is someone people are always looking for something to complain about.  I simply don't believe she gets judged any more unfairly than any number of celebrities so it makes me roll my eyes when some in the Glee fandom try to martyr her or for that matter Darren, Chris, Cory, Naya, etc.  They all have both admirers and detractors who have stepped over the line.  

So my caveat is can't be said enough it isn't Lea alone who is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't and anytime anyone tries to tell me she gets it worse than the other actors of Glee or for that matter actors outside of Glee will find me saying no I don't agree with that.   

No caveat is  needed for my comment since I never said or implied no one else has ever been is in a situation where they are damned if they do and damned if they don't though.

I just said that haters would hate  no matter what she did, but I did not say only Lea gets hate.  We are talking about her in this situation  so that is what I was addressing.

Edited by tom87

Again I just don't believe that.  As someone who followed Cory since the day he went on Twitter until the day he passed I can tell you he had detractors telling him up until the day he died Glee would have been a better show if Finn Hudson would have never existed and Lea would have been better off if he had died when he Od'ed at 19.  And even with that sort of hate spewed at him I don't think he had it any worse than many of the other actors on Glee or elsewhere.  Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet has brought out the vile side of some people and celebrities are often the target of that hate.  

Edited by camussie

So ridiculous I bet  if Lea waited a week and posted the picture of the jersey some people would still claim it was in bad taste or done for PR.      People are constantly looking for  things to complain about when its comes to Lea.   Amber liked Lea picture and Telly responded positively to the picture  and maybe more cast/crew so if they were fine with it so be it.

This isn't me at all, so I don't particularly like being considered a hater for having one unpopular opinion. I never questioned her motivations/grief and I thought I made it clear (but apparently didn't) that my problem was more with the nature of social media and people needing to have a great picture of every moment than any issue with Lea personally.

• Love 1

This isn't me at all, so I don't particularly like being considered a hater for having one unpopular opinion. I never questioned her motivations/grief and I thought I made it clear (but apparently didn't) that my problem was more with the nature of social media and people needing to have a great picture of every moment than any issue with Lea personally.

If I was referring to you are about you I would have quoted you.   I was talking in general.    :)

Edited by tom87

Again I just don't believe that.  As someone who followed Cory since the day he went on Twitter until the day he passed I can tell you he had detractors telling him up until the day he died Glee would have been a better show if Finn Hudson would have never existed and Lea would have been better off if he had died when he Od'ed when he 19.  And even with that sort of hate spewed at him I don't think he had it any worse than many of the other actors on Glee or elsewhere.  Unfortunately the anonymity of the internet has brought out the vile side of some people and celebrities are often the target of that hate.  

Cory certainly got a lot of crap also and the comments about his death/OD were and continue to be supremely gross.  But as someone immersed in this stuff, it is a fairly objective statement, that women in general do get it worse.  You can physically count up the articles and comments about the various actors if you want, but I do think you'd find it would support the argument.

Part of it is simply because Lea is more high-profile than some of the other cast members.  I like Mark, but nobody's really checking for him right now.  And again, you don't see a single article about Matt or any of the guys feuding with their new costars, but you already see stuff about Lea and she hasn't even met her costars.

Even if this board is a small sample size.  You already have a few people clearly making judgments about sincerity with regards to Lea, but not the others.

Why does it have to be a competition? They all seem to get varying levels of hate and negativity thrown their way. It is just a fact that women get painted with a harsher brush often. In this particular situation with Lea regarding Cory and her relationship him, she has very much been in a can't win situation. That's not saying other people don't have similar issues. I guess I'm missing how acknowledging that Lea is often put in a tough and unfair spot is the same as saying no one else suffers similar fates. You don't want to know the awful, racist, stuff people tweet to Amber. And Naya has been tabloid fodder since she started on the show (remember Mark and the alleged keyed car?) Dianna has come in for her fair share as well. Every time she even looks at a guy that have her coupled up. But we weren't talking about any of these people, we were talking about Lea.

• Love 2

Oh they all have crazy fans and critics, but Lea does get more just because she's more high profile.  And I do believe it's also because she's a woman (although to that end Naya gets a lot of flack also).  I mean, there are articles about Lea and Arianna fighting on the set of Scream Queens already, and 1. production hasn't started yet, and 2. they haven't even formally met.  You don't see any articles about Chris/Darren/Matt feuding with co-stars.  

Even here, nobody's questioned Mark's tweet, but you clearly see a couple of people questioning Lea's motivations.

I don't think anyone is a martyr though.  It isn't that serious.

Don't know what articles you refer to (paper or online), but there were quite a few online sites, true mostly gossip, saying Chris was trying to get Darren fired. I saw today on tumblr that the Backlot posted the first, I think, part of the latest Chris & Darren BTS and saw it fit to opine how Chris must hate his co-star because he wasn't looking a lot at him or touching him (?!?!) I guess anything to get hits - or for the gay entertainment media, also another way to fawn over someone they consider hot (in this case, Darren).  

But I think you're right about women - women are apriori expected to get into catty fights, it's absurd. 

Don't know what articles you refer to (paper or online), but there were quite a few online sites, true mostly gossip, saying Chris was trying to get Darren fired. I saw today on tumblr that the Backlot posted the first, I think, part of the latest Chris & Darren BTS and saw it fit to opine how Chris must hate his co-star because he wasn't looking a lot at him or touching him (?!?!) I guess anything to get hits - or for the gay entertainment media, also another way to fawn over someone they consider hot (in this case, Darren).  

But I think you're right about women - women are apriori expected to get into catty fights, it's absurd. 

Oh right, those stupid blind gossip things.  I'll be honest.  At this point, tumblr is a harder site to quantify and measure, but it's certainly becoming an increasingly bigger player.  I'm also not that familiar with Thebacklot, but apparently they're just as catty about dudes as some more mainstream outlets are about women!

The gossip sites I meant aren't blogs on tumblr, but they are of the category of Blind Gossip, just don't recall which ones exactly. The Backlot is the successor of After Elton, and they still write about Glee.

Edited by fakeempress

I think "hate" gets thrown around in different ways. 

No one is going to talk about how "catty" Darren Criss is, because he's a straight man, and straight men don't get that label. They might suggest some other, equally hateful things. (Such as, degrading his achievements.) But Naya gets the same crap as Lea. And as mentioned above, Chris Colfer even gets some of that suggestion. (When really, him and Darren just don't post stuff with each other on social media because Klaine fans got creepy.) 

• Love 1

That Tina/Artie kiss was random, I didn't even remember it. Brittany/Sam in Blame it On the Alcohol should have been on there. I hated them as a ship in S4, but that kiss in S2 was hot.

• Love 1

Top 5 kisses and Tike aren't there at all. Tina's there with fuckin Artie!!! Seriously that's all Tike did for two seasons, they had to be separated by a teacher, Mike's abs are on show in several of them!

Jesus the people voted in these things are dumb as shit!

I wish the Finn/Rachel kiss had been the one in the midst of the nationals celebration.  I loved that kiss.  Although the first one was the start of it all so there is that.  

Edited by camussie

http://www.accesshollywood.com/matthew-morrison-on-final-glee-scene-playing-in-finding-neverland_video_2659137

Matt Access Hollywood - He took a plaque from Will's desk and  dog he brought to the set that was his teachers.

I haven't seen Matt interviews for a while, and he sounds so well spoken and sincere, and also excited about FN here. I'm happy for him getting a starring role on BW, and if I was going to NYC during his run, I'd definitely check out his show. I didn't realise until recently that Kelsey Grammer plays Hook. I'm a big fan of Kelsey as an actor (he's one of those cases where I exercise dissociation from his rl persona).

Reporter girl feeling the need to tell us Darren's going to be brilliant in Hedwig, while talking to Matt, lol.  

Edited by fakeempress

That Tina/Artie kiss was random, I didn't even remember it. Brittany/Sam in Blame it On the Alcohol should have been on there. I hated them as a ship in S4, but that kiss in S2 was hot.

And no Puck/Rachel "Mashup" makeout?

Pshaw.

I get the ones for Finchel/Klaine/Brittana, but wtf are those other ones doing there? Especially over Will and Emma in "Sectionals."

Edited by SNeaker
  • Love 2

Hey, I'm all for more Kurtofsky love. And while it might not have been a romantic kiss, it certainly was passionate (on Karofsky's part) and the scene was one of the most emotionally charged that they ever filmed. It certainly deserves some praise (along with the two actors who really gave that scene their all).

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

I haven't seen Matt interviews for a while, and he sounds so well spoken and sincere, and also excited about FN here. I'm happy for him getting a starring role on BW, and if I was going to NYC during his run, I'd definitely check out his show. I didn't realise until recently that Kelsey Grammer plays Hook. I'm a big fan of Kelsey as an actor (he's one of those cases where I exercise dissociation from his rl persona).

Reporter girl feeling the need to tell us Darren's going to be brilliant in Hedwig, while talking to Matt, lol.

3 of the full somg performances( from rehearsal) are in the " Cast In Other Roles" thread. The last one posted has a lot of Kelsey in it.

Hollywood Reporter article on Darren's two original songs for Glee. Title: Darren Criss Sets 'Glee' Musical Milestone (Exclusive)

Based on the Broadwayworld writeups and this, Darren's publicist is firing on all cylinders. 

I'll make it a contest here. Funny how the same publication had zero articles devoted to the milestone of the first cast member to write an original script for the show (bad Chris publicist there lol). They managed to write about Matthew directing, but somehow the word "milestone" wasn't mentioned though he was the first and only cast member to direct. 

Edited by fakeempress

I'll step on the third rail here. That seems more about how active their PR teams are than anything else. Matt and Darren have teams that eke every last nugget out of anything they do. Chris seems more laid back and his team with him. They probably should try harder, but they rarely do. I assume he's more into his book tours than flogging every last thing he can get out of his tv deal. I don't necessarily agree with their approach, but Chris does seem to dislike the crazy more than most. If that's his priority, his call.

Chris is hardly hurting for work at the moment. We know that he's got a major film and he's stated on multiple occasions about other projects that he will be able to talk about as things get closer. I don't mind a PR team working hard for their people, but with Darren's team, it does feel positively predatory. It's one thing to have PR on your radar, but it's another thing to be as obvious as Darren's people are.

And to be fair, there were articles when Chris wrote an episode for Glee.

Edited by Hana Chan

And to be fair, there were articles when Chris wrote an episode for Glee

Of course there were. But not in this publication, though it's close to mind that they also got the press release about his episode. I did a site search out of curiosity, they had no headline stories about it, most of his project-related headlines are about the book deals. Matt got a headline for his directing debut, but apparently didn't deserve superlatives for that lol. 

Edited by fakeempress

Of course there were. But not in this publication, though it's close to mind that they also got the press release about his episode. I did a site search out of curiosity, they had no headline stories about it, most of his project-related headlines are about the book deals. Matt got a headline for his directing debut, but apparently didn't deserve superlatives for that lol. 

Well that is becasue Matt didn't direct two or Chris write two .  The milestone is 2 songs silly.

• Love 2

I read the article and I am pretty certain that the "milestone" the author is referring to is Glee having one of its cast members write an original song to be performed on the show. It actually states in the first line "the Fox musical has hit another milestone." So I certainly didn't get the impression the milestone is referring to Darren and his career. 

Also, I follow THR on twitter and purchase the physical copy of the magazine. It's the few entertainment magazine I do (along with People and EW) and I know for a fact that Chris was written about when he wrote an episode of Glee, there was also a story recently about his first children's illustration book, there were articles about his book deals with his publisher, news items when his books topped the NYT best-sellers list, etc. Not to mention all the other coverage of his writing an episode - EW, TV Guide, Vulture, People, TV Line, E! Online, etc. 

YMMV but this is what gets me about all the talk of fandoms and how these people are doing this and how bad or annoying these fans are about this when it sometimes feel like some just sit around looking for something to pinpoint about and compare. And it's like every so often the facade slips and the same behavior that gets called out, others are guilty of. Also, for the love of all that's good, why is it always Chris and Darren when that's the same so called "crazy fandom" behavior that's supposedly judged? That piece was barely a story and as noted so clearly a publicist's work. But suddenly that's getting judged now - a publicist doing what it is they are paid to do?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I read the article and I am pretty certain that the "milestone" the author is referring to is Glee having one of its cast members write an original song to be performed on the show. It actually states in the first line "the Fox musical has hit another milestone." So I certainly didn't get the impression the milestone is referring to Darren and his career.

Who said it was about his career, and not about what the title said? It was because of what the title said that it was compared to the headlines HR gave the other cast members who contributed in a similar way to the show.

Also, I follow THR on twitter and purchase the physical copy of the magazine. It's the few entertainment magazine I do (along with People and EW) and I know for a fact that Chris was written about when he wrote an episode of Glee, there was also a story recently about his first children's illustration book, there were articles about this book deals with his publisher, news items when his books topped the NYT best-sellers list, etc. Not to mention all the other coverage of his writing an episode - EW, TV Guide, Vulture, People, TV Line, E! Online, etc.

The talk was about the headlines. Feel free to cite the headline given to Chris' episode by HR, because I'm curious how it was worded - which was the whole point, the wording. It was duly noted that HR gave Chris headline titles about his books, which were very factual in wording. The whole point was HR didn't use the bombastic language of milestones neither with Chris, nor with Matthew in these headlines - and headlines are editorial decisions, not the publicists'.

And the first song, Rise, is a co-writing credit for Darren, there are five other people who worked on the song. Milestone indeed. 

People already duly noted that the entertainment press did write about Chris' episode, it's not like this fact was denied or neglected. 

YMMV but this is what gets me about all the talk of fandoms and how these people are doing this and how bad or annoying these fans are about this when it sometimes feel like some just sit around looking for something to pinpoint about and compare. And it's like every so often the facade slips and the same behavior that gets called out, others are guilty of. Also, for the love of all that's good, why is it always Chris and Darren when that's the same so called "crazy fandom" behavior that's supposedly judged? That piece was barely a story and as noted so clearly a publicist's work. But suddenly that's getting judged now - a publicist doing what it is they are paid to do?

People will talk about what catches their fancy, truthaboutluv, what's so strange about that? Please feel free to contribute and show whose behaviour wasn't called out in that little discussion of headline wording, or I'm not getting your meaning there. 

Why Chris and Darren? Well, it was Chris, Darren and Matthew here, not just Chris and Darren. Because these three happen to be the cast members contributing in that way to the show. If Jenna or Dianna for instance had written songs, directed episodes or written scripts, it would be about them too - but it so happens they didn't. I can't invent something that isn't there just to make it about someone else than Darren, can I?  

Not all PR campaigns use the kind of bombastic language currently employed by Darren's. that's why it caught my attention, and why I discussed it. While I'm at it, I can add to the bombasticness that Playbill gave Darren the headline about the 17 Again industry reading (when there were other BW people involved) in terms of "starring". To quote, "Darren Criss Wakes Up to "Teenage Dream" as Star of 17 Again Musical". Seems like according to Playbill's headline he's billed as the star of this musical, while the actual article was just about him and others (some of them actual B'way vets) doing the table read. I haven't seen the term "starring" used about table reads, but maybe it's something the B'way press does all the time - I just happen to be curious about things like that. 

As people noted, other cast PR works differently and it was a point of comparison. It is a media thread after all. PR fall under this rubric of discussion, I'd think.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Click bait for 17 Again? There may have been other stars (I don't know, I didn't click and read), but maybe they thought DC would get more eyeballs. A table read itself doesn't sound that exciting.

As someone who has worked in media (print and broadcasting), and has friends in PR (political campaigns), I beg to differ, Cranberry. If it was only a single instance and not timed with a new high profile project, I would be more inclined to think someone just arbitrarily chose bombastic language.. 

Edited by fakeempress