Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, nikma said:

I'm still not geting "Targaeryan restoration" vibes from the interviews.

Me, neither. Also, I didn’t transcribe it, but there was a long pause when NCW was asked whether he thought fans would like the ending before he said that he thought there would be a lot of discussion. Yikes.

I feel like Tyrion's comment about Aegon the Conqueror building the wheel was a pretty big hint that a Targaryen restoration isn't going to happen.

6 minutes ago, nikma said:

I think Dany going to the dark side is possible then. Killing Varys, maybe conflicts with Jon and Tyrion.

This is what I suspect as well, especially with NCW's most recent interview posted in this thread, but how on earth is there enough time to explore that arc without it appearing as inorganic? We already have three villainous factions in Cersei, Euron and the Night King. Unless each episode is two-hour-long, season seven is going to look like a masterpiece in terms of pacing compared to season eight. 

29 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

This is what I suspect as well, especially with NCW's most recent interview posted in this thread, but how on earth is there enough time to explore that arc without it appearing as inorganic? We already have three villainous factions in Cersei, Euron and the Night King.

I don't know. Cersei and Euron are one faction, but it still too much. 

It's clear from S7 that something is going to happen between Dany and Tyrion. Maybe they will just argue, or maybe they will be torn apart.

One thing I am sure is that I can't imagine Targaryen restoration happening with these comments. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, nikma said:

I don't know. Cersei and Euron are one faction, but it still too much. 

It's clear from S7 that something is going to happen between Dany and Tyrion. Maybe they will just argue, or maybe they will be torn apart.

One thing I am sure is that I can't imagine Targaryen restoration happening with these comments. 

Theon's been set up to go head to with Euron in order to save Yara and earn some cred, so even though Euron and Cersei are one faction, it's a separate storyline from the North/Dany/Jaime vs. Cersei one. I think it's a waste of time that could be spent on other characters but that's just me. 

It's not that I disagree about a potential Tyrion/Dany or Varys/Dany or even Jon/Dany conflict (I think the build up's there), I'm just doubtful they can successfully pull it off unless it's an underlying tension that's carried out until the season finale. I don't know. I suspect that when real spoilers start getting leaked, everyone's going to be in denial lol.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Me, neither. Also, I didn’t transcribe it, but there was a long pause when NCW was asked whether he thought fans would like the ending before he said that he thought there would be a lot of discussion. Yikes.

To be fair, the smallest most insignificant comment generates tons of discussion in the fandom and is turned into a Big Deaaal (not pointing fingers, applies to me, too :)) ). If it wasn't acting/PR-ing/hyping, since it's certainly the kind of question a GoT actor could expect, I'd understand he'd think long and hard before uttering a word in answer.

Conspiracy theory: they give the vibe of a non-Targ restoration so that people are surprised when there's an actual Targ restoration. Emotional roller-coaster trick. Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun.

Edited by Happy Harpy
Uncooperative keyboard
  • Love 7

I'm not really expecting a Targ restoration in the sense that the Targs will win the Iron Throne and rule as they always did only now with dragons again.I think some big loses and huge changes will happen there.But tbh I am mostly expecting some combination of a Targ on the throne unless they go for a democracy with a council ruling or something.Because I really think Jon and Dany have been given the biggest,most developed ruling arcs I don't think that's for nothing.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I don't care about an ending that's smart or original or subversive. I want an ending that makes sense, B+M=E.

I agree. I'm really not a fan of the sentiment I sometimes see that tropebreaking is superior to everything else and ASOIAF/GOT will be inferior if the ending feels like the logical result of years of buildup rather than a shock twist that trashes the main characters and renders them irrelevant in a daring display of "clever" subversion. A democratic break-the-wheel ending would be ridiculously unrealistic considering the stagnant institution/bureaucracy/trade/education-less nature of Westeros and GRRM's near total disinterest in non-noble characters as anything other than random victims of rape and torture. I'm not a huge Targaryen fan, but based on the books we have and how the TV show has developed the foreshadowed plot points, Jon and/or Dany + baby on the throne absolutely feels like the most logical ending to me: it works both as a story ("learning to rule" arcs as the answer to GRRM's whining that we don't know why Aragorn was supposed to be a good king, even though he spent decades gaining experience before the main story of LOTR began) and within the world (democracy suddenly appearing out of nowhere or a patricidal dwarf getting accepted as king in a supposedly realistic society? Hell no).

Of the potential "good guy" conflicts, Dany vs. Varys feels like it has the strongest setup and the best potential to seem logical for both characters. Dany vs. Tyrion is shakier but it wouldn't be out of nowhere, I'm just far more doubtful that they'd manage to make a Tyrion backstab in particular seem logical on the show (in the books he's a raging hateful mess and would absolutely be capable of self-sabotage).

• Love 11
(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, anamika said:
On 6/22/2018 at 8:48 AM, Eyes High said:

If GRRM knows Sansa's endgame but doesn't know the Hound's, the sensible and in my opinion obvious conclusion is that one has nothing to do with the other.

Then why bring him back? His story is over in the books.

I don't think his story IS over in the books. GRRM took good care to show us that he is alive and has changed significantly for the better as a person  - I mean, being a humble gravedigger for the good of the community is a BIG change - even though, as we were shown, his war horse was alive and well and uncastrated and could have taken him riding off wherever he wanted to go. The Septon who told his story of religious rebirth after a near-death experience was probably talking about the Hound's experience as well as his own.

And the fact that GRRM took the trouble to show us that his war horse - which we know won't let anyone but the Hound ride him - IS alive and well and uncastrated and unrideable except for Sandor IMO is a hint that Sandor will one day ride back to battle on him. Yes, a gravedigger works for the good of the community, but any strong man can dig a grave. Few men have the Hound's martial skills. If he truly wants to serve the community and there comes an overwhelming need for a martial champion, he'll go riding to do his best. IMO, it'll probably be to take care of The Mountain - hence serving the community AND taking care of that old score to be settled.

It's quite likely that that plotline will have nothing to do with Sansa, save perhaps as an occasional sentimental flashback to the girl whose prayer for mercy once woke his conscience and reminded him of his own humanity.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 5
(edited)

Some real spoilers at last from Los Siete Reinos (finally), summarized by /jorywea78 as follows:

A spectacular new scene with hundreds of extras In The Seven Kingdoms we have seen that Game of Thrones has begun to shoot one of the most important scenes that the series has had in the recreation of King's Landing built for the last season. Its scale is one of the most significant that the series has had.

In the filming of this scene more than 600 extras will participate and it has had several phases. They started filming it 10 days ago but that scene is not being filmed every day. Next week they will re-record and it is expected to end the first days of July.

An important nuance is the profile of the extras: all types have been searched, also women and of different races. That is to say, it is not the classic battle scene in which only extras with a military aspect are looked for to exercise as soldiers. We can deduce that they will be the varied population of King's Landing.

https://lossietereinos.com/noticias-del-rodaje-la-8a-temporada-belfast-una-gran-escena-extras-fuego-la-capital/

I know Maisie is filming next week, IDK if anyone else will be working too. Most actors are done. Whatever the battle is, I don’t think it’s a wildfire plot.

Edit: I’m told it may or may not be a battle, more a event a very big event

Now, real talk: are these 600 extras all KL civilians fleeing dragonfire, or is it more like 300 wights and 300 civilians fleeing the wights?

Was Vladimir Furnik (NK) in Belfast during the past 10 days? He was doing some convention stuff earlier this month, if I recall correctly. If the NK is on a dragon attacking while all this is going on, I wouldn't expect him to be needed, but Vladimir Furnik also does stunts for the show, so...

Characters whose actors were either confirmed to be or likely to be in Belfast this past week: Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Dany, Sam, Davos, and the Mountain

Characters whose actors weren't in Belfast this past week: Jaime, Brienne, Theon, Sansa, Bran, and others

Seems like this is an extension of whatever Kit, Peter, Liam and Maisie have been filming for the last six weeks or so.

Edited because Thor is not a GOT character.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

https://lossietereinos.com/noticias-del-rodaje-la-8a-temporada-belfast-una-gran-escena-extras-fuego-la-capital/

News of the filming of the eighth season in Belfast: a great scene with extras and fire in the capital

By

Javi Marcos

-

Jun 23, 2018

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

The shooting of the last season Game of Thrones lives already his last weeks. This time we bring you two novelties: a great scene with many extras shot in the famous new set of King's Landing and fire in the same location.

A spectacular new scene with hundreds of extras

In The Seven Kingdoms we have seen that Game of Thrones has begun to shoot one of the most important scenes that the series has had in the recreation of King's Landing built for the last season . Its scale is one of the most significant that the series has had.

In the filming of this scene  more than 600 extras will participate and it has had several phases. They started filming it 10 days ago  but that scene is not being filmed every day . Next week they will re-record and it is expected to end the first days of July.

An important nuance is the profile of the extras: all types have been searched , also women and of different races. That is to say, it is not the classic battle scene in which only extras with a military aspect are looked for to exercise as soldiers. We can deduce that they will be the varied population of King's Landing.

Fire in King's Landing

If we already told you that some of the structures built on the set of Landing had been damaged as a result of the flames ,  A Red Priestess  has managed to record the moment in video.

The smoke also reaches the city gates. If you remember, we  had shown you this smoke  last week . We also have pictures of the set fire.

A Red Priestess@a_red_priestess

And some pictures... #GameOfThrones

9:29 AM - Jun 22, 2018

There is very little left for the filming of last season to finish, but this final line looks like it will be very, very interesting.

2 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Some real spoilers at last from Los Siete Reinos (finally), summarized by /jorywea78 as follows:

Characters whose actors were either confirmed to be or likely to be in Belfast this past week: Jon, Tyrion, Arya, Dany, Sam, Davos, and Thor

Characters whose actors weren't in Belfast this past week: Jaime, Brienne, Theon, Sansa, Bran, and others

Seems like this is an extension of whatever Kit, Peter, Liam and Maisie have been filming for the last six weeks or so.

LOL!!!!

(edited)
5 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

LOL!!!!

Oops! Thor is not a GOT character, although I'd totally watch that crossover.

Even if there are no soldiers involved in this sequence, there's likely plenty of action, since Maisie's stunt double will be working through the first week of July.

Maisie's stunt double has been in Northern Ireland for eight months. Is Arya doing anything in Season 8 that isn't action?

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to the scenes of pandemonium in KL?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
Just now, GrailKing said:

News of the filming of the eighth season in Belfast: a great scene with extras and fire in the capital

By

Javi Marcos

-

Jun 23, 2018

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

The shooting of the last season Game of Thrones lives already his last weeks. This time we bring you two novelties: a great scene with many extras shot in the famous new set of King's Landing and fire in the same location.

A spectacular new scene with hundreds of extras

In The Seven Kingdoms we have seen that Game of Thrones has begun to shoot one of the most important scenes that the series has had in the recreation of King's Landing built for the last season . Its scale is one of the most significant that the series has had.

In the filming of this scene  more than 600 extras will participate and it has had several phases. They started filming it 10 days ago  but that scene is not being filmed every day . Next week they will re-record and it is expected to end the first days of July.

An important nuance is the profile of the extras: all types have been searched , also women and of different races. That is to say, it is not the classic battle scene in which only extras with a military aspect are looked for to exercise as soldiers. We can deduce that they will be the varied population of King's Landing.

Fire in King's Landing

If we already told you that some of the structures built on the set of Landing had been damaged as a result of the flames ,  A Red Priestess  has managed to record the moment in video.

The smoke also reaches the city gates. If you remember, we  had shown you this smoke  last week . We also have pictures of the set fire.

A Red Priestess@a_red_priestess

And some pictures... #GameOfThrones

9:29 AM - Jun 22, 2018

There is very little left for the filming of last season to finish, but this final line looks like it will be very, very interesting.

My guess is that this scene is the burning of King's Landing and its inhabitants by either dragonfire or wildfire or both.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Liam still had his beard as of Kit's wedding today (he had said he would shave it off when he was done), so he's likely filming this KL sequence as well next week. Ditto for John's beard (even though he never said he would shave it after finishing the show).

Emilia's roots couldn't have grown in that fast, could they? Was it some balayage thing? (I ask because I'm wondering if she's still filming or if she only has ADR left.)

Edited by Eyes High
Just now, Eyes High said:

Oops! Thor is not a GOT character, although I'd totally watch that crossover.

Even if there are no soldiers involved in this sequence, there's likely plenty of action, since Maisie's stunt double will be working through the first week of July.

Maisie's stunt double has been in Northern Ireland for eight months. Is Arya doing anything in Season 8 that isn't action?

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to the scenes of pandemonium in KL?

I am also looking forward to the scenes of pandemonium in KL.  I suspect that Team Good Guy will try to evacuate the city, but I don't think they will be able to save most of the inhabitants of KL.  The inhabitants of KL are being fucked over by Cersei.  They won't have dragonglass weapons, or food or clothing.  And I think they will suffer for it.  It's the opposite of what I think will happen up North where the leaders are taking the threat seriously and even if Winterfell burns down, I think that loss of lives will be minimized.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Sunshinegal said:

I am also looking forward to the scenes of pandemonium in KL.  I suspect that Team Good Guy will try to evacuate the city, but I don't think they will be able to save most of the inhabitants of KL.  The inhabitants of KL are being fucked over by Cersei.  They won't have dragonglass weapons, or food or clothing.  And I think they will suffer for it.  It's the opposite of what I think will happen up North where the leaders are taking the threat seriously and even if Winterfell burns down, I think that loss of lives will be minimized.

Sounds like KL civilians fleeing the AOTD on the ground paired with dragon/dragon combat in the skies. That may also explain the Magheramorne quarry coming back into play for green screen sequences. Crazy. Hardhome massacre on steroids plus dragons fighting each other? Sign me the fuck up.

I do wonder where Jaime and Brienne are while this is going on, though, unless they filmed their parts in this sequence earlier in the month (since NCW and Gwen were in Belfast not too long ago.) Sounds like it's mostly the surviving combatant members of Team Jon/Dany--although Tyrion, Davos and Sam admittedly aren't great fighters--involved.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Jumping Gendry? Ah, I guess it's technically action. LOL.

Imo, most of the non-action scenes were filmed in Belfast this late fall/winter, when actors were often seen together in bars or buying street food in the evenings etc.

14 hours ago, ElizaD said:

A democratic break-the-wheel ending would be ridiculously unrealistic considering the stagnant institution/bureaucracy/trade/education-less nature of Westeros and GRRM's near total disinterest in non-noble characters as anything other than random victims of rape and torture.

Indeed. Although there are historical precedents in democracies in the last century of people just following the sovereign whoever it was, I don't think that Westeros is ready for that because the smallfolk is too much of a background player, if not an element of the background. Even the characters who were smallfolk are players now, even as soldiers like Gendry, and even if they didn't forget where they come from.

Edited by Happy Harpy
17 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Jumping Gendry? Ah, I guess it's technically action. LOL.

Imo, most of the non-action scenes were filmed in Belfast this late fall/winter, when actors were often seen together in bars or buying street food in the evenings etc.

Indeed. Although there are historical precedents in democracies in the last century of people just following the sovereign whoever it was, I don't think that Westeros is ready for that because the smallfolk is too much of a background player, if not an element of the background. Even the characters who were smallfolk are players now, even as soldiers like Gendry, and even if they didn't forget where they come from.

I think if Gendry were to be king in the end he’d be involved somehow in this big crowd scene being currently filmed and in the other KL exterior set scenes filmed over the past little while with Maisie and Kit, maybe assuming a leadership role in the chaos and showcasing his kingly qualities or whatever.  However, he must be otherwise occupied because Joe Dempsie wrapped in Seville.

...The sequence of events in the last two episodes is very confusing. This is what we know about:

1. There’s some sort of big battle at the Dragonpit, involving Jon, Grey Worm, Unsullied, and various other characters including Brienne and Jaime fighting (much of which was filmed with green screen in Northern Ireland). It seems as if this battle takes place at night...?

2. There are scenes set in or around the Dragonpit with Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne and Robin possibly involving action, since those actors’ doubles were needed. This takes place during the day. No Jon or Dany in these scenes.

3. There are scenes with Arya, Bran, Sam, Davos and Gendry set in or around the Dragonpit but not requiring doubles, also taking place during the day. No Jon or Dany in these scenes.

4. There are KL exterior scenes with Jon, Davos, Arya and Tyrion but not Sansa or Gendry taking place in the city proper, not at the Dragonpit, but presumably during the day.

5. There is a big fire in the city of KL where a dome burns in a scene requiring 600 extras to play KL civilians and Jon, Davos, Arya, Tyrion and Dany’s actors, but not Sansa, Jaime, Brienne or Gendry, also presumably during the day.

6. Edmure is at the Dragonpit for some reason...?

7. The throne room collapses and someone’s corpse is discovered in the wreckage.

8. Dany and the NK fight at some point while riding dragons. 

I guess the key question is whether the last stand is in the city of KL or at the Dragonpit.

Sounds like KL civilians fleeing the AOTD on the ground paired with dragon/dragon combat in the skies. That may also explain the Magheramorne quarry coming back into play for green screen sequences. Crazy. Hardhome massacre on steroids plus dragons fighting each other? Sign me the fuck up.

I do wonder where Jaime and Brienne are while this is going on, though, unless they filmed their parts in this sequence earlier in the month (since NCW and Gwen were in Belfast not too long ago.) Sounds like it's mostly the surviving combatant members of Team Jon/Dany--although Tyrion, Davos and Sam admittedly aren't great fighters--involved.

Wonder if we will see this through Bran's eyes?

5 hours ago, screamin said:

I don't think his story IS over in the books. GRRM took good care to show us that he is alive and has changed significantly for the better as a person  - I mean, being a humble gravedigger for the good of the community is a BIG change - even though, as we were shown, his war horse was alive and well and uncastrated and could have taken him riding off wherever he wanted to go. The Septon who told his story of religious rebirth after a near-death experience was probably talking about the Hound's experience as well as his own.

And the fact that GRRM took the trouble to show us that his war horse - which we know won't let anyone but the Hound ride him - IS alive and well and uncastrated and unrideable except for Sandor IMO is a hint that Sandor will one day ride back to battle on him. Yes, a gravedigger works for the good of the community, but any strong man can dig a grave. Few men have the Hound's martial skills. If he truly wants to serve the community and there comes an overwhelming need for a martial champion, he'll go riding to do his best. IMO, it'll probably be to take care of The Mountain - hence serving the community AND taking care of that old score to be settled.

It's quite likely that that plotline will have nothing to do with Sansa, save perhaps as an occasional sentimental flashback to the girl whose prayer for mercy once woke his conscience and reminded him of his own humanity.

His fighting days are done. He left behind violence to seek redemption through religious penitence. You roll all that back and throw away his development to bring him back as a fighter.

Fighting the Mountain also goes against GRRM's themes on vengeance. Vengeance is corrupting, vengeance is bad. 

The point of the Hound finding peace on the Quiet Isle is that he's moving beyond his hatred of his brother. He needs a to find a new reason to live. That's a really hopeful message albeit neither flashy nor wish-fulfillment.

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

I think if Gendry were to be king in the end he’d be involved somehow in this big crowd scene being currently filmed and in the other KL exterior set scenes filmed over the past little while with Maisie and Kit, maybe assuming a leadership role in the chaos and showcasing his kingly qualities or whatever.  However, he must be otherwise occupied because Joe Dempsie wrapped in Seville.

...The sequence of events in the last two episodes is very confusing. This is what we know about:

1. There’s some sort of big battle at the Dragonpit, involving Jon, Grey Worm, Unsullied, and various other characters including Brienne and Jaime fighting (much of which was filmed with green screen in Northern Ireland). It seems as if this battle takes place at night...?

2. There are scenes set in or around the Dragonpit with Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne and Robin possibly involving action, since those actors’ doubles were needed. This takes place during the day. No Jon or Dany in these scenes.

3. There are scenes with Arya, Bran, Sam, Davos and Gendry set in or around the Dragonpit but not requiring doubles, also taking place during the day. No Jon or Dany in these scenes.

4. There are KL exterior scenes with Jon, Davos, Arya and Tyrion but not Sansa or Gendry taking place in the city proper, not at the Dragonpit, but presumably during the day.

5. There is a big fire in the city of KL where a dome burns in a scene requiring 600 extras to play KL civilians and Jon, Davos, Arya, Tyrion and Dany’s actors, but not Sansa, Jaime, Brienne or Gendry, also presumably during the day.

6. Edmure is at the Dragonpit for some reason...?

7. The throne room collapses and someone’s corpse is discovered in the wreckage.

8. Dany and the NK fight at some point while riding dragons. 

I guess the key question is whether the last stand is in the city of KL or at the Dragonpit.

It's definitely at KL. 

The Dragonpit stuff seems like it comes after the fighting is done. I don't see why Robin and Tyrion and Sansa would be there otherwise.

? He doesn't need to be king for Arya to jump him...(which is way more likely than a Baratheon restoration imo).

23 minutes ago, nikma said:

So it's now 100% confirmed that AOTD will be at KL?

I thought it was confirmed around the Seville filming?

I've always thought it would be lackluster if the AOTD's invasion was stopped before, after being hyped for 7 seasons.  Will all of Westeros be invaded, including Dorne, this time? I don't remember a geographical feature that would allow KL to be "saved for last" but I don't have the feeling this would be the kind of detail that'd stop D&D.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, WindyNights said:

It's definitely at KL. 

The Dragonpit stuff seems like it comes after the fighting is done. I don't see why Robin and Tyrion and Sansa would be there otherwise.

It seems like there were two separate sets of Dragonpit scenes: the night shoots (involving Jon, Grey Worm, the Unsullied, and possibly Jaime, Tyrion and Davos at some point) which are battle scenes, and the day shoots, which involved the characters Sansa, Robin, Brienne, Tyrion, Arya, Gendry, Davos, Sam and Bran. (Someone who seemed to be in the know said that Sophie, Peter, Gwen, Isaac, John, and Liam filmed for all four days, while Lino, who plays Robin, only filmed for one. They didn’t mention Maisie or Joe, but it seems like they may have forgotten.)

The night shoots seem to be a continuation of some of the Magheramorne quarry green screen shooting. There was also filming of the Dragonpit without actors in Seville before the cast arrived, which seems like establishing footage for VFX (much like what they did in Iceland for the wight hunt battle). We also know that there was fake snow in the Dragonpit, which suggests that whatever was filmed in the Dragonpit arena was set during the conflict as opposed to a denouement.

With all that said about the Dragonpit amphitheater, we also know that the Italica site was shut down in its entirety for filming.

So the only real question is was the stuff filmed during the day at the Italica site with Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne, Robin, Arya, etc. from the battle itself or from the denouement? I had speculated that the fact that the actors were filming during the day in Seville in May meant that they were probably not dressed for winter. Furthermore, Sophie was absent during  the Magheramorne quarry filming, and four days isn’t any kind of time to shoot a big battle scene unless it’s to touch up the previous Magheramorne quarry shoots. On the other hand, the use of stand-ins and the presence of fake snow in the Dragonpit means that this could be another scene from the battle.

It is curious, though, that Tyrion, Arya and Davos are in the Seville day shoot scenes and Jon is not, even though the KL exterior scenes shot over the last several weeks seem to have had Jon, Arya, Davos and Tyrion in them. It’s also curious that Sansa is involved in the Seville day shoot scenes but not in the big KL sequence being currently shot. So which of these two sets of scenes comes first, the KL sequence with Jon, Arya, Davos and Tyrion or the Italica stuff with Sansa, Tyrion, Davos and Arya but not Jon?

2 hours ago, nikma said:

So it's now 100% confirmed that AOTD will be at KL?

I wouldn’t say 100% clear. I should clarify that the Dany/NK dragon fight is still a rumour.

Edited by Eyes High
7 hours ago, WindyNights said:

His fighting days are done. He left behind violence to seek redemption through religious penitence. You roll all that back and throw away his development to bring him back as a fighter.

I don't think so.  The point is more likely to be his becoming a warrior for a righteous cause, as opposed to the nihilistic philosophy he embraced post-injury that saw him killing kids for the Lannisters.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, SeanC said:

I don't think so.  The point is more likely to be his becoming a warrior for a righteous cause, as opposed to the nihilistic philosophy he embraced post-injury that saw him killing kids for the Lannisters.

You're missing the philosophy that the Quiet Isle and Elder Brother are preaching. The Elder Brother preaches that people put down their swords and care for their loved ones. 

Sandor would have to murder dozens of men to get to Gregor and the idea behind saying that the Hound is dead or at rest is an indication that Sandor's moving towards something more than a life of revenge. Because Sandor killing Gregor is a revenge fantasy and revenge is......bad.

One more thing:

"The idea that Sandor’s redemption is based on killing his brother fundamentally misunderstands what redemption means. Kinslaying is a sin (repeated how many times?), and Sandor’s own sins are from killing (among other things). If he has any active redemption within the books (beyond gravedigging), it will be from saving someone, not via killing someone."

You don't redeem yourself by repeating your sins again. How many monsters have fought for "righteous" causes?

But you know there are practical considerations to consider?

[…] By the time the readings were completed, the last of the food had been cleared away by the novices whose task it was to serve. Most were boys near Podrick’s age, or younger, but there were grown men as well, amongst them the big gravedigger they had encountered on the hill,  who walked with the awkward lurching gait of one half-crippled. 

////////////////

On the upper slopes they saw three boys driving sheep, and higher still they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave. From the way he moved, it was plain to see that he was lame.  

-------------

It's the Jaime treatment. Can't be a legendary warrior anymore. Gotta be something else.

Edited by WindyNights
  • Love 1

If Sandor really wanted to kill his brother, he would have taken his sword to his head when he fought him during the tourney of the Hand when he was not wearing his helm. Sandor is a lot of bark when it comes to Gregor, but not a whole lot of bite. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, WindyNights said:

It's the Jaime treatment. Can't be a legendary warrior anymore. Gotta be something else.

Yeah, he has a limp. Jaime is missing a hand, yet he hasn't put down his sword and curled up at home. I'd say Sandor is in a better position to be able to fight if needed.

"Sandor’s own sins are from killing (among other things). If he has any active redemption within the books (beyond gravedigging), it will be from saving someone, not via killing someone."

You don't redeem yourself by repeating your sins again. How many monsters have fought for "righteous" causes?

Westeros has literal monsters, in both the NK and his minions, and in FrankenGregor, as well as human beings who've behaved like monsters. And killing is not always a sin, in self defense or in the defense of the weak and helpless. Jon has killed a lot of people. Does that necessarily make him evil? And would refusing to fight any more - regardless of who needed him to do it - make him good?

5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

If Sandor really wanted to kill his brother, he would have taken his sword to his head when he fought him during the tourney of the Hand when he was not wearing his helm. Sandor is a lot of bark when it comes to Gregor, but not a whole lot of bite. 

Sandor knew that Tywin valued his brother as a weapon of terror and might take it out on Sandor if he killed him, not to mention he'd be a social pariah as a kinslayer. At that time, Sandor still had a prestigious career and a lot to lose. So he welcomed a chance to humiliate Gregor in public by defeating him in front of everyone, AND take the moral high ground at the same time by keeping the tournament fair, but at that time he didn't have the impetus to do him in.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, WindyNights said:

You're missing the philosophy that the Quiet Isle and Elder Brother are preaching. The Elder Brother preaches that people put down their swords and care for their loved ones. 

I'm not "missing" the Quiet Isle's philosophy.  There is obvious symbolism that the Hound isn't entirely onboard with the Elder Brother's particular way of things, most obviously Stranger.

Sandor would have to murder dozens of men to get to Gregor and the idea behind saying that the Hound is dead or at rest is an indication that Sandor's moving towards something more than a life of revenge. Because Sandor killing Gregor is a revenge fantasy and revenge is......bad.

I wasn't arguing that the Hound would come back and focus on getting revenge on the Mountain.  If he fights the Mountain, it will be in defense of others.

• Love 5
On 6/23/2018 at 1:41 AM, ElizaD said:

I agree. I'm really not a fan of the sentiment I sometimes see that tropebreaking is superior to everything else and ASOIAF/GOT will be inferior if the ending feels like the logical result of years of buildup rather than a shock twist that trashes the main characters and renders them irrelevant in a daring display of "clever" subversion. A democratic break-the-wheel ending would be ridiculously unrealistic considering the stagnant institution/bureaucracy/trade/education-less nature of Westeros and GRRM's near total disinterest in non-noble characters as anything other than random victims of rape and torture. I'm not a huge Targaryen fan, but based on the books we have and how the TV show has developed the foreshadowed plot points, Jon and/or Dany + baby on the throne absolutely feels like the most logical ending to me: it works both as a story ("learning to rule" arcs as the answer to GRRM's whining that we don't know why Aragorn was supposed to be a good king, even though he spent decades gaining experience before the main story of LOTR began) and within the world (democracy suddenly appearing out of nowhere or a patricidal dwarf getting accepted as king in a supposedly realistic society? Hell no).

Of the potential "good guy" conflicts, Dany vs. Varys feels like it has the strongest setup and the best potential to seem logical for both characters. Dany vs. Tyrion is shakier but it wouldn't be out of nowhere, I'm just far more doubtful that they'd manage to make a Tyrion backstab in particular seem logical on the show (in the books he's a raging hateful mess and would absolutely be capable of self-sabotage).

Weird thing for me is that I don't think Jon and Dany are learning to rule.  They are currently ruling and not learning from their experiences.  They keep making the same mistakes, they don't listen to advice that is useful to them, they are not listening to what their opponents are saying, they don't communicate effectively, they are both bad at diplomacy and they dont really know much about Westeros and their people.

If Jon and Dany die I also don't think their child will rule.  westeros already had two child kings in Joffrey and Tommen and neither one of them was a good ruler.

Jon and Dany are ruling at the same time as Cersei and I doubt people think that Cersei is learning to rule.

Jon and Dany are selfless with a desire to help people and use their power for good.  But they are given opportunities to rule and learn and are failing.

I think that as GRMM hid the main protaganists (Jon and Dany not Ned and Robb).  He is hiding who is learning to rule (Not Jon and Dany, most likely Sansa and Arya).  I think the people learning to rule aren't currently ruling.  I also think there will be a parallel to Egg and how he hid his identity to learn about the kingdom.  Sansa and Arya had to hide their identity but I also think that they are also learning.

I think Jon and Dany's role is to defeat the big bad, not rule.  I think that is why Jon was resurrected and why Dany has the dragons.  I also think that magic comes with a price and that neither Jon or Dany paid the price.  I also think that Jon and Dany will need to make a personal sacrifice to defeat the Night King.

To me it is logical that there is no Targ restoration.  I just don't see it happening.  I also think that the Iron Throne or having one ruler for Westeros is tied to the Targs. I think in the end we will have a grand council with the rulers of the various kingdoms working together (I think that is what was filming in Seville).

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, GrailKing said:

It sounds like what's being filmed now is a continuation of what's been shot in the KL exterior set over the last two months and that what's been shot over the last two months on that set is a battle, if WOTW is to be believed:

According to Los Siete Reinos, this won’t be the typical battle scene of exclusively armed soldiers: this particular scene, which began filming two weeks ago, features more than 600 extras—among them women, which points to civilians being caught in the crossfire. Reportedly, the scene will resume filming this week and will wrap in early July. By the end, at least three weeks of filming will have been allocated for this portion of the larger King’s Landing battle sequence, which has been about a two months shoot, overall!

A few thoughts:

1. I'm still not sure how the Dragonpit stuff ties into that, since there were action scenes shot in Seville as well with some of the same actors who have been filming at the KL set. Is the last stand at the Dragonpit or in KL?

2. No matter what the sequence, Emilia's absence from the KL battle filming would make sense, since there are rumours that there is a big dragon/dragon fight while the KL battle is happening.

3. If there is a dragon/dragon fight in 8x06, what does this mean for Dany's possible pregnancy? Does she fight while pregnant? Does she only get pregnant after the end of the war?

4. If there is a big Viserion vs. Drogon battle, then isn't this confirmation that Rhaegal dies earlier in the season?

5 It looks like the only possible postwar exterior scenes taking place in KL would be the Seville Italica day shoots (since the night shoots were indisputably battle stuff) and/or whatever was filmed in Dubrovnik at the pier used in previous seasons to represent KL. (We only saw filming pics of Kit and Lena in the tower and on the steps, but the pier had several props such as crates and the like, so something was definitely filmed there, too.)

13 hours ago, Sunshinegal said:

I think in the end we will have a grand council with the rulers of the various kingdoms working together (I think that is what was filming in Seville).

If Tobias Menzies (Edmure) was indeed in Seville, I'm sure the Seville day shoots were postwar stuff, but that's just my hunch. There's no reason Edmure can't show up to lend a hand during a crucial KL battle, after all. Ditto for Robin, whose actor definitely filmed in Seville.

Reminder of who filmed during the day in Seville for all four weekdays (Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday), by character:

Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne, Robin (Lino only filmed for one day, allegedly): needed stand-ins

Arya, Sam, Davos, Bran: didn't need stand-ins

Gendry's actor was also filming during the day on at least one day, but I don't know whether he was filming for all four days.

And then of course we have the characters whose actors who were in Seville but who didn't film during the day:

Varys, Jaime, Cersei, Jon, possibly Grey Worm?

If I'm right about this theory, all of these characters whose actors filmed during the day in Seville survive the final battle. Jon and Dany may survive and just be elsewhere during these scenes, maybe measuring curtains for the rebuilt Red Keep or whatever.

At any rate, if Emilia filmed at the Dubrovnik pier, and Architectural Digest is correct about Emilia's last scenes of the show being filmed in Dubrovnik, Dany definitely survives. 

The interesting thing, of course, is that if Architectural Digest said that Emilia's final scenes were being filmed in Dubrovnik, and they also knew about Kit being in Dubrovnik, are they confirming that Jon's last scene in the show is without Dany?

Edited by Eyes High
(edited)

R.e Dany’s inevitable pregnancy in s8, I am wondering if it will be discovered in say ep 3 (after the R+L=J bomb is dropped). That way they can get away with Dany having no preggo belly, or a small 1st trimester belly, for the rest of the season. They seemed to ignore the space time continuum in s7 so I’m sure that will continue in s8. Plus Cersei has no visible belly in s7 and she was pregnant for at least 3 eps right?

Or maybe D&D will just go full hilarity and Dany will announce a pregnancy in one episode then give birth the next. That way she can strap the baby to her back and take the little Targ for a dragon ride when she’s fighting the NK.

The only reason I think they will have Dany be pregnant in s8 and not wait until after the war is I can see them wanting to do a juxtaposition between her baby joy and Cersei miscarrying. I could even see Dany being pregnant as the reason Cersei fully loses her marbles and decides to send her army to attack Winterfell mid-season. 

Edited by bubble sparkly
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

It sounds like what's being filmed now is a continuation of what's been shot in the KL exterior set over the last two months and that what's been shot over the last two months on that set is a battle, if WOTW is to be believed:

A few thoughts:

1. I'm still not sure how the Dragonpit stuff ties into that, since there were action scenes shot in Seville as well with some of the same actors who have been filming at the KL set. Is the last stand at the Dragonpit or in KL?

2. No matter what the sequence, Emilia's absence from the KL battle filming would make sense, since there are rumours that there is a big dragon/dragon fight while the KL battle is happening.

3. If there is a dragon/dragon fight in 8x06, what does this mean for Dany's possible pregnancy? Does she fight while pregnant? Does she only get pregnant after the end of the war?

4. If there is a big Viserion vs. Drogon battle, then isn't this confirmation that Rhaegal dies earlier in the season?

5 It looks like the only possible postwar exterior scenes taking place in KL would be the Seville Italica day shoots (since the night shoots were indisputably battle stuff) and/or whatever was filmed in Dubrovnik at the pier used in previous seasons to represent KL. (We only saw filming pics of Kit and Lena in the tower and on the steps, but the pier had several props such as crates and the like, so something was definitely filmed there, too.)

If Tobias Menzies (Edmure) was indeed in Seville, I'm sure the Seville day shoots were postwar stuff, but that's just my hunch. There's no reason Edmure can't show up to lend a hand during a crucial KL battle, after all. Ditto for Robin, whose actor definitely filmed in Seville.

Reminder of who filmed during the day in Seville for all four weekdays (Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday), by character:

Sansa, Tyrion, Brienne, Robin (Lino only filmed for one day, allegedly): needed stand-ins

Arya, Sam, Davos, Bran: didn't need stand-ins

Gendry's actor was also filming during the day on at least one day, but I don't know whether he was filming for all four days.

And then of course we have the characters whose actors who were in Seville but who didn't film during the day:

Varys, Jaime, Cersei, Jon, possibly Grey Worm?

If I'm right about this theory, all of these characters whose actors filmed during the day in Seville survive the final battle. Jon and Dany may survive and just be elsewhere during these scenes, maybe measuring curtains for the rebuilt Red Keep or whatever.

At any rate, if Emilia filmed at the Dubrovnik pier, and Architectural Digest is correct about Emilia's last scenes of the show being filmed in Dubrovnik, Dany definitely survives. 

The interesting thing, of course, is that if Architectural Digest said that Emilia's final scenes were being filmed in Dubrovnik, and they also knew about Kit being in Dubrovnik, are they confirming that Jon's last scene in the show is without Dany?

What's at Dubrovnik? That's KL but why is Daenerys' final scene being there mean she survives?

(edited)
1 hour ago, WindyNights said:

Emilia's last scenes of the show being filmed in Dubrovnik

Does the article say that Emilia's last scene is Daenery's last scene?  Because filming can and does happen out of order quite frequently.  It's quite complicated to coordinate all the schedules of all the actors and the availability of the locations.  Emilia's last scene could be one at the beginning or the middle of the series' finale.  She could have shot Dany's last scene before she shot her final scene.

Also, let's not confuse stand-ins with stunt doubles.  Many think the presence of stand-ins means that a scene contains an action sequence, when this is probably not the case. A stand-in is a person who resembles an actor in build and coloring and who literally stands in the actor's place before the scene is shot so that the lightning can be adjusted, and the director can frame the shots he wants.  The actors are only called in to perform after everything has been set up, so that no time is wasted adjusting lights or moving props or changing actors' marks when the actor is there.  Probably because it would take actors out of character to have to stop a performance for these things, and it could be difficult to get back in character after many starts and stops. While the stand-ins are doing this, the actors are getting into costume and make up, and/or perfecting their lines, and/or chilling in their trailers.

Stunt doubles, OTOH, are used when a scene calls for the character to perform a physical sequence that might put the actor at risk of injuries.  It's not typical for an actor to also be capable of handling risky action sequences safely, plus, if an actor does do his/her own stunts, insurance goes through the roof and production has to pay for it (it's more costly to compensate an actor for injury than a stunt double).  So, when a scene calls for a risky, physical sequence, a stunt double is hired to do the sequence in place of the actor.

The presence of stand-ins does not indicate that an action sequence (or a battle) is being filmed.

Edited by WearyTraveler
4 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Does the article say that Emilia's last scene is Daenery's last scene?

I agree about filming out of order, but Dubrovnik was in February and Emilia has filmed since. If there were last scenes put in the can there it can only be the characters' and not the actress'.

(edited)
10 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

Does the article say that Emilia's last scene is Daenery's last scene?  Because filming can and does happen out of order quite frequently.  It's quite complicated to coordinate all the schedules of all the actors and the availability of the locations.  Emilia's last scene could be one at the beginning or the middle of the series' finale.  She could have shot Dany's last scene before she shot her final scene.

The Architectural Digest article referenced Emilia's comments about having filmed Dany's last scenes and then said that they could confirm that those scenes were filmed in Dubrovnik. Emilia has filmed since February, when the Dubrovnik stuff was shot.

Also, let's not confuse stand-ins with stunt doubles. 

I'll let /BoatsexBaby, the source of information at /Freefolk about the stand-ins in Seville, explain:

From the looks of it, Peter, Sophie, Maisie, Gwen, Isaac, John, Liam, Joe and Lino filmed for multiple days. Among those, only Peter, Sophie, Gwen and Lino had their stand-in/doubles present in Seville. If they were all part of the same scene, I see no reason why Maisie, Isaac, John, Liam and Joe didn’t have stand-ins too. I think Tyrion, Sansa, Brienne and Robin might have shot scenes like the Daznak’s pit sequence which had doubles for all actors due to the potential for injury while running around. Bran might be present in his astral form. Arya, Gendry, Davos and Sam might have filmed some other scene altogether.

So the question is if Isaac, Maisie, John, Liam and Joe were filming scenes in Seville for multiple days along with Sophie, Peter, Gwen and Lino, why did only Sophie, Peter, Gwen and Lino need stand-ins?

(I heard from another person with sources in Seville that Lino only filmed for one day and not four, so grain of salt.)

The only other actors who had doubles in Seville were Kit and Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm), and we know that Kit and Jacob filmed some kind of stunt, so it's possible that Sophie, Peter, Gwen and Lino were involved in something similar.

11 hours ago, WindyNights said:

What's at Dubrovnik? That's KL but why is Daenerys' final scene being there mean she survives?

Because a death scene, a scene with Dany's corpse, or really any inherently spoilery scene, wouldn't be filmed out in the open in Dubrovnik. Whatever Dany's last scene is--assuming Architectural Digest is correct--it's nothing that would look like a spoilery final scene to paps or snoops, so not a death scene. 

Edited by Eyes High

I'll let /BoatsexBaby, the source of information at /Freefolk about the stand-ins in Seville, explain:

So the question is if Isaac, Maisie, John, Liam and Joe were filming scenes in Seville for multiple days along with Sophie, Peter, Gwen and Lino, why did only Sophie, Peter, Gwen and Lino need stand-ins?

I think BoatsexBaby may be the one causing the confusion, then, as she refers to stand-ins and doubles interchangeably, and they are not the same thing.  It would be easy to miss a stand-in for other actors.  In fact, I don't recall that we've had too many spoilers talking about stand-ins, and anyone that has a similar build and skin coloring as the actor in question would suffice, they don't even need to be the same gender as the actor.

A thin, tall, red headed guy can stand-in for Sofie, for example; they need the hair color and skin tone to adjust lighting and the height to adjust props and other actors' positions.  BoatsexBaby might have recognized the most obvious stand-ins and not realized that other people milling about were also stand-ins.  Plus, sometimes the director doesn't need a stand in for everyone in the scene, he/she might only need a few stand-ins to light a tricky scene (particularly if filming with natural light) or to frame a shot with a lot of height disparity among the actors involved.  Gwen and Sofie are very tall, Peter is short, Lino is halfway between the two, but the script might call for him to appear as we remember him, a sickly, thin boy, who should not be as tall as Sansa, or as short as Tyrion.

Height disparity is probably the reason they wanted those specific stand-ins.  It wouldn't do to film a scene with say, 10 or 12 characters, and have two of them out of the shot. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

I think BoatsexBaby may be the one causing the confusion, then, as she refers to stand-ins and doubles interchangeably, and they are not the same thing. 

I agree that stand-ins and doubles are not the same thing and your explanation is correct. /BoatsexBaby seems to be muddying the waters by using the terms interchangeably. The weird part is that /BoatsexBaby provided photos taken from inside the vehicle which the stand-ins/doubles used to leave the set, so she obviously knows one of them or a crew member who works closely with them, meaning she must have a pretty good idea whether they're stand-ins, doubles, or both. She also knew that on the Thursday they were filming in Seville, Peter and Sophie's stand-ins/doubles were working with the crew.

With all that said, I thought Gwendoline Christie's S7 stand-in was a guy (as you say, stand-ins don't necessarily need to be the same sex as the actor), but the person in Seville doubling for Gwen is a woman, so the doubles in Seville seem to be true doubles and not stand-ins. The example I keep thinking of is /BoatsexBaby's example, the S5 Daznak's pit sequence, where we know that doubles were used for Daario, Hizdahr, Dany, Tyrion and Missandei's actors. 

We also know that Kit and Jacob had stand-ins/doubles in Seville as well, and that Kit and Jacob Anderson were doing some kind of stunt. It stands to reason that Sophie, Gwen, Peter, etc. may have been involved in a stunt as well, which explains why their doubles were in Seville but not Maisie's or Liam's.

ETA:

Looks like the tower's being repainted "greenscreen" green, meaning it's likely going to be destroyed.

There's some more filming at Magheramorne, and HBO is taking steps to keep away would-be snoops. Horse trailers were spotted at the site. It also seems as if Kit, Jacob, Maisie and the NK's actor at the very least are filming this week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/8u129d/all_action_in_magheramorne_today_during_recording/

Edited by Eyes High

I’m more and more starting to believe Craic_Chancer’s possible leaks on Reddit, compiled here. Plus, their username is so Irish, but not in a way that most Americans would realize, so if they’re a fleaker, at least they’re likely to be an Irish fleaker.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Leila6 said:

I’m more and more starting to believe Craic_Chancer’s possible leaks on Reddit, compiled here. Plus, their username is so Irish, but not in a way that most Americans would realize, so if they’re a fleaker, at least they’re likely to be an Irish fleaker.

He says that GreyWorm dies at the hands of the Golden Company and there were pictures of their shields at WF. If they're filming KL scenes right now and Jacob/his stunt double is there, those fleaks are debunked.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1