Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation with Spoilers: We're all Seers Now

duckyone
  • Start Topic

Well, I am shocked.  I thought for sure JRM was going to be Alfred....

Goes to check out Bishop Heamund. An "antecendent of the Knights Templar"  - sounds intriguing.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2

Thanks spinxella, great work especially with the Heahmund news.  He sounds like a really interesting character.  And with Ecbert aging and not intending to take the field actively and Aelle gone in quite dramatic fashion sometime in the coming season, we need more than just Alfred and Aethelwulf to "represent" when we cut to the Saxon side of what will be the centerpiece storyline of Season 5.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, spinxella said:

Sorry for the duplicating but this format won't allow me to delete.

Thank you very much for the info and all the lovely pictures!

What a cute camel, it looks so sweet and soullful.

Edited by magdalene

Looks like Rollo's story on the show has pretty much concluded now.  It's probably for the best that Floki can't see the future because I doubt he would like to learn that his generation of Vikings never conquer all of England - Alfred stops them. But about 200 years later Rollo's great-great-great son does conquer England and his line lives on in the royal familes of Europe to this day. 

Rollo himself and his family and followers prospered in Normandy. Rollo lived into his eighties and seems to have reverted back to his Viking youth in his last days due to senile dementia. By then he had passed the succession on to his oldest son William.

It would be great if this show lasted long enough to feature William the Conqueror.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, magdalene said:

Looks like Rollo's story on the show has pretty much concluded now.  It's probably for the best that Floki can't see the future because I doubt he would like to learn that his generation of Vikings never conquer all of England - Alfred stops them. But about 200 years later Rollo's great-great-great son does conquer England and his line lives on in the royal familes of Europe to this day. 

Rollo himself and his family and followers prospered in Normandy. Rollo lived into his eighties and seems to have reverted back to his Viking youth in his last days due to senile dementia. By then he had passed the succession on to his oldest son William.

It would be great if this show lasted long enough to feature William the Conqueror.

You might want to check your history books 

Spoiler

in 1016 Cnut (Danes) conquered the English Saxon line. The Danes ruled until 1042 when the Saxons under Edward the Confessor tossed them aside.

6 hours ago, Stratego said:

You might want to check your history books 

Reveal hidden contents

in 1016 Cnut (Danes) conquered the English Saxon line. The Danes ruled until 1042 when the Saxons under Edward the Confessor tossed them aside.

You don't have to spoiler tag stuff in the spoiler thread. 

Yes, this guy ruled England for a little while but he has nothing to do with the generation of Vikings in the show I was talking about.  Plus, he is almost forgotten today but everybody knows who William the Conqueror is.

Hey, the last two episodes of the season leaked and being a regular visitor on tumblr I managed to get thorougly spoiled. I was annoyed and glad in equal measure about this as there is at least one thing I preferred to be spoiled early on rather than have it sprung on me. Be careful out there!

• Love 1

I love spoilers.  Is there any way (in here, the spoiler thread) we could hear them?  Or, since they are on Tumblr and presumably now public access, there is a link?  I'd love to hear/see the storyline.  Please?  If not, or it's in violation of some code of conduct, no worries.  Thank you, magdalene!

5 hours ago, Captanne said:

I love spoilers.  Is there any way (in here, the spoiler thread) we could hear them?  Or, since they are on Tumblr and presumably now public access, there is a link?  I'd love to hear/see the storyline.  Please?  If not, or it's in violation of some code of conduct, no worries.  Thank you, magdalene!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/01/vikings-episode-419-one-eve-promo.html

Go to the comments of that post and read under the spoiler tags.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, saoirse said:

Let's please keep it to one or two images per post in here - multiple images seem to be slowing down loading, and especially when they get quoted; so linking to the images rather than posting them in here will probably help.

The images that were here have been moved to here, but please keep in mind, they're probably still going to load slowly in there. Thanks!

Thanks again in this thread to restoring my access to same.  My computer is old and it could no longer load this thread at all with all the graphics.  It just froze up completely even after 10 minutes of wait time.  Had to shut off and re-boot my computer just to escape the thread too.  So I greatly appreciate links instead.  I'd love to see the stills but until I can afford a new computer I'm staying away from that new thread.

• Love 2

Anybody else intrigued by who JRM is playing? A precursor to the Knights Templar and according to twitter in the fifth season the right hand man to Aethelwulf.

It will be good to have somebody on the Saxon side who can maybe out-class and and out-loose cannon Ivar.

• Love 1

So given that the Vikings are in Wessex next week and we know Alfred has been recast as an adult, is it safe to assume Aethelwulf and Co. get wiped out and at minimum Judith and the kids escape?

Also do you guys think the next time skip will occur at then end of the finale like it did last year or will they wait til next season?

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

So given that the Vikings are in Wessex next week and we know Alfred has been recast as an adult, is it safe to assume Aethelwulf and Co. get wiped out and at minimum Judith and the kids escape?

Also do you guys think the next time skip will occur at then end of the finale like it did last year or will they wait til next season?

Well, Aethelwulf and army lose and lose big but going by pictures from next season - which you can see in the pictures spoiler thread - plus the Johnny Rhys Meyers character news, Aethelwulf must somehow escape and become king because Johnny Rhys Meyers warrior bishop Heahmund will be Aethelwulfs right hand in the fifth season. 

Also, Alfred hasn't been recast with an adult actor - he has been recast with a 17 year old teen who looks quite a bit like the Athelstan actor.  So there will be a time jump but not a very big one.  They have also recast the older son Aethelred to a slightly older version.

Historically the succession went something like this: Ecbert to Aethelwulf, and then Aethelred if memory serves, and then finally Alfred who became king when he was like 22 and was a much beloved and respected king to old age.

Oh, and Judith is in next season too in some capacity.

Heahmund is introduced at the end of the season finale, holding a mass and afterwards having sex with some woman.  He may have the final scene? I am not sure because the stuff I saw was the leaked Russian version.  Some of this may also be edited for American TV because they always cut the explicit sex and nudity out of the European version of Vikings for American broadcast.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Well, Aethelwulf and army lose and lose big but going by pictures from next season - which you can see in the pictures spoiler thread - plus the Johnny Rhys Meyers character news, Aethelwulf must somehow escape and become king because Johnny Rhys Meyers warrior bishop Heahmund will be Aethelwulfs right hand in the fifth season. 

Also, Alfred hasn't been recast with an adult actor - he has been recast with a 17 year old teen who looks quite a bit like the Athelstan actor.  So there will be a time jump but not a very big one.  They have also recast the older son Aethelred to a slightly older version.

Historically the succession went something like this: Ecbert to Aethelwulf, and then Aethelred if memory serves, and then finally Alfred who became king when he was like 22 and was a much beloved and respected king to old age.

Oh, and Judith is in next season too in some capacity.

The GHA (though not all of the central characters of the show) will remain in "England" for about 14 years. They do quite a bit of winning, but never conquer Wessex (Vikings do take bribes, you know). One can check their favorite search engine to learn what actually happened over time.

• Love 2

The Vikings never conquered Wessex and the armies rallied around Alfred who pushed the Danes back to Eastern England.  I don't believe the Danes ever gave up York/Jorvik though.  Still, the cultures were melded in time as the Danes became assimilated.  In fact there was a Danish king of England (Cnut) after Alfred since succession was not necessarily hereditary but was a matter of who was in the right place to seize power.  If you had a good claim but were out of the country, oops, too bad!  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

JRM's character looks like a total bad ass. Season 5 is going to be good. 

He really does, doesn't he? I am ready and primed to root for him and Aethelwulf and co.

It's clear Hirst thinks Ivar is the best thing ever and the sun shines out of his derriere. But despite Hogh having charisma I can't root for Ivar, he is just too psycho for my taste. I wish there will be more to do for the saner brothers that are left next season.  I still like Ubbe.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2017 at 4:07 PM, Silverglitter said:

Heh, so maybe those of us who thought Lagertha was eyeing up Ubbe weren't totally nuts.

I don't know what it says about me but Lagertha with Ubbe bothers me less than Bjorn and Astrid which gave me the major icks....

On 1/27/2017 at 7:05 AM, Haleth said:

The Vikings never conquered Wessex and the armies rallied around Alfred who pushed the Danes back to Eastern England.  I don't believe the Danes ever gave up York/Jorvik though.  Still, the cultures were melded in time as the Danes became assimilated.  In fact there was a Danish king of England (Cnut) after Alfred since succession was not necessarily hereditary but was a matter of who was in the right place to seize power.  If you had a good claim but were out of the country, oops, too bad!  

There are multiple ways to conquer: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2577003/A-million-Vikings-live-One-33-men-claim-direct-descendants-Norse-warriors.html

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I don't know what it says about me but Lagertha with Ubbe bothers me less than Bjorn and Astrid which gave me the major icks....

Oh, I'm actually totally on board with Lagertha/Ubbe.

It shocks me because usually, large age differences creep me the hell out, but I guess the whole idea of a relationship between them is too awesomely twisted that I just want it.

Bjorn and Astrid sucks because it came out of no where. Astrid in general they just don't seem to know what to do with her. Right from her introduction, I feel like there's been no solid path with her. They just keep flinging her around. I'd understand if the show knew she wasn't playing well and were just trying different things to make her work, but considering they film so far ahead, that obviously isn't it. I don't even think the actress is all that bad, the character is just so poorly conceived and written.

• Love 1

Oddly, I don't have a problem with Astrid. There are plenty of random male characters who don't bug me, either. Shit, I couldn't tell half the Ragnarssons apart until the final episode. OTOH, Floki annoys me to no end. 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Silverglitter said:

relationship between them

I must have missed something, but all I saw was Lagertha and Ubbe sitting on the thrones drinking, not unlike Ragnar and Eckbert.  What did I miss?