Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Kimmy Steps on a Crack!

The Ghost parody was hysterical (throwing away the brooch because it looked like paste) but I wasn't happy about seeing Jacqueline kissing her BIL. I preferred her out witting the family and being loyal to Russ. I'll have to see how that pans out. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

The Ghost parody was hysterical (throwing away the brooch because it looked like paste)

I thought she threw it away because she was shaken by this strange and unexpected sign that Nana's ghost really HAD been there, and wasn't just a hallucination. Perhaps indicating that Nana was summoned by the usage of her recipe, erotically co-baked with Jacqueline, turned on all the gas as a classic poltergeist move, and left her brooch as a supernatural calling card.

Or, you know, was just an innocent hallucination brought on by a gas stove left on by a novice cook ;)

• Love 12

So...are we saying that Orange is the New Black is set in the same universe as Kimmy Schmidt? Is this just the beginning? Are ALL of the Netflix originals in the same fictional universe? Have we been watching the beginning of some kind of TV version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Wait, but what about the Marvel Netflix show? Are all THOSE shows in the Netflix universe? Are the Netflix shows in the MCU, and just no one ever talks about it? Are we going to get references to President Frank Underwood? A mention of the tragic suicide of a high school student whos parents are suing her negligent school? Will we find out that Jacqueline is psychically linked to a depressed talking horse? Does this all take place inside a snow globe? WHERE DOES THE MADNESS END?!?!

Or it was a silly joke to end the episode on. Whichever explanation you want I guess.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So...are we saying that Orange is the New Black is set in the same universe as Kimmy Schmidt? Is this just the beginning? Are ALL of the Netflix originals in the same fictional universe? WHERE DOES THE MADNESS END?!?!

Or it was a silly joke to end the episode on. Whichever explanation you want I guess.

Kimmy is actually the long lost Michelle Tanner 

• Love 4

"If you can do everything better than me, you get them to stop masturbating so much." "...I don't want to do that."

I know it was an over-exaggeration (as everything on this show is) but it did get me thinking about how there really are no women cult leaders, and maybe it's the way society treats men and women that contributes to that (note: I am not advocating for more cult leaders of any gender). I laughed so hard at Gretchen's "child husbands." It just doesn't "work" (in a sickening way) like child brides do. No one slavishly follows women, even other women. Man. I'm gonna have to think about this for a bit.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:21 AM, wayne67 said:

That Gay Swat guy was such an offensive stereotype... 
Why do I love him so much more than Titus. 
Then again I like everyone more than Titus. 

I think the offensive stereotype was the point. The FBI guys didn't know how to deal with a dangerous female criminal like Gretchen, so they just treated her like many men stereotypically treat women. She's crying, I'll leave her alone, and I'll apologize for whatever I did wrong even though I don't know what it was, oh and also the only men that any women truly open up to are their flaming homosexual besties.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:46 PM, tennisgurl said:

So...are we saying that Orange is the New Black is set in the same universe as Kimmy Schmidt? Is this just the beginning? Are ALL of the Netflix originals in the same fictional universe? Have we been watching the beginning of some kind of TV version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Wait, but what about the Marvel Netflix show? Are all THOSE shows in the Netflix universe? Are the Netflix shows in the MCU, and just no one ever talks about it? Are we going to get references to President Frank Underwood? A mention of the tragic suicide of a high school student whos parents are suing her negligent school? Will we find out that Jacqueline is psychically linked to a depressed talking horse? Does this all take place inside a snow globe? WHERE DOES THE MADNESS END?!?!

How close are we to getting UKS into the Tommyverse?

On 5/25/2017 at 11:54 AM, Empress1 said:

"The only ingredient is chunks!"

"Chunks of what???"

• Love 1

Ugh, being the only adult woman in a house full of teenage boys is one of my worst nightmares. Every time one of them opened their mouths, I was like yup, I can see why Gretchen wants to end things in a blaze of glory.

"Can I have $200? It's for a sword."

"Is Gretchen still here? The three of us glued our weiners together."

But it did crack me up every time one of the boys came in to ask a question and then both Gretchen and Kimmy yelled at them.

I thought maybe the corn recipe had something important written in code or invisible ink and that's why Russ's brother wanted it. But man, is that guy petty. He's the golden child - rich, powerful, his father's favorite - and he still wants the one thing his brother has.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:42 PM, helenamonster said:

I know it was an over-exaggeration (as everything on this show is) but it did get me thinking about how there really are no women cult leaders, and maybe it's the way society treats men and women that contributes to that (note: I am not advocating for more cult leaders of any gender). I laughed so hard at Gretchen's "child husbands." It just doesn't "work" (in a sickening way) like child brides do. No one slavishly follows women, even other women. Man. I'm gonna have to think about this for a bit.

There's probably several factors to consider .

Biology, one male and several fertile females means he gets to spread his DNA further, it also indicates extreme wealth, charisma, looks (for the attraction off those females) eg harems.
One woman and several males simply means that it's highly likely she'll spend a lot of time pregnant and or dealing with a bunch of competitive males trying to assert breeding rights, which could get very messy very quickly. eg actual patriarchal societies.

Also there are women that slavishly follow other women, Feminism, Hillary's 'for her' campaign, to name a couple. 

The point of child spouses is to mold them into the perfect Stockholm slaves.. She did it wrong, she should have started off with a single runaway of around 13 trained him up to the be the prime enforcer and had him beat all the new recruits so that she could offer succor... She lacked a good stick and carrot approach. 

Also there are women who have multiple male partners that cater to their whims, they're called polyamorous relationships where two beta males orbit an alpha female, they're all too likely to be promoted by Buzz Feed as the new super progressive relationships. Women just tend to be more subtle about getting their needs taken care of by multiple men. Men tend to be more flashier and in your face about their popularity. 

I am curious where she grabbed all these boys from. Did she just steal a school bus with the children on board? / fake summer camp?

Tell that to beauty gurus. Or stans of Taylor Swift or Beyonce. Sure they have been violent, authoritarian, etc. female leaders who have wielded power in a way that's more similar to how we've seen men exercise power. But I'm curious where they'll go with Gretchen in prison because I thought what was missing in the episode (until the end) was the acknowledgement that she wasn't failing because she was a woman but because she was trying to do the exact same thing as the reverend but gender flipped. Both women and men have cults of charisma but women tend to obtain power that way more often than through something like military dictatorships or the kinds of misogynistic set ups that advocate polygamy and child brides. 

Ah, Gretchen.  Not surprised that she would try some kind of reverse-gender cult like The Reverend, but it would end up not working due to all the boys acting like obnoxious jackasses, and the FBI treating her with kid gloves, because they don't take her seriously since she is a woman.  While I do think it was exaggerated on some levels, I do imagine that a female version of The Reverend would be treated differently.  Definitely think she will excel at prison.

Never would have predicted that Jacqueline's storyline with the Snyders would include a scene of her cooking cornbread, Ghost-style, with Meemaw.  And then Duke makes out with her.  He's such a scumbag, but Josh Charles continues to play him to perfection.

Kind of bored with the Titus/Lillian stuff, because why this show is obviously very broad and exaggerated, the idea that it would be that hard for them to find fruit was just silly.  And then the guilt-trip with Kimmy at the end, although I'm glad she stood up for herself that.  She's not Titus' mother, for goodness sake.  Still, it was fun seeing Artie again.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, tennisgurl said:

So...are we saying that Orange is the New Black is set in the same universe as Kimmy Schmidt? Is this just the beginning? Are ALL of the Netflix originals in the same fictional universe?

I would say yes, but the weather guy, Drench Thunderman (so awesome) is also the very disturbed guard, Humpfrey.  

On 6/4/2017 at 7:42 PM, helenamonster said:

I'm soooo late to this party, but Ayn Rand.

And Anne Hamilton-Byrne, an Australian who led a cult called The Family.  From Wikipedia:

The basis of The Family's philosophy was that Anne Hamilton-Byrne was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ and a living god. Jesus was said to be a great master who came down to Earth, and the group believed that Buddha and Krishna were other enlightened beings who similarly came down to help humanity. Hamilton-Byrne was regarded as being in the same category as these teachers. One adopted daughter, Sarah Hamilton-Byrne, later described the group's beliefs as a "hotch-potch" of Christianity and Eastern mysticism

• Love 1