Type keyword(s) to search

9JKL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah - I wanted to give this show a fair shake even after the milquetoast pilot but boy, this episode had me actively offended. This stupid cliche about single men and one-night stands was just so stale and derivative. I'm glad they at least allowed some of the characters to embrace the idea of a more relationship-oriented guy but still - the generalities are straight out of Sitcom Writing 101. Nothing new to see here. 

And if the show somehow manages to survive past its initial order of episodes, they desperately need to ditch the annoying doorman. 

• Love 5

This show is so bad, I have taken it off my PVR. What a disappointment, given the cast. But as others have said, the writing is just soooo bad. Oddly enough, the other new comedy that I wasn't sure I would like - Me, Myself and I - I absolutely love. Well written and well acted. I really hope it survives, and this one is cancelled. Bad writing should never be rewarded, though we know it is given other terrible shows that survive to live another day. 

Judy forces Josh to choose between her and his new best friend, Luke, when she finds out his pal is the upstairs neighbor she claims caused water damage. Also, Andrew asks Nick the doorman to help him assemble Wyatt’s new playpen. 

I watched this episode last night and was offended so I came here to see if I had lost my sense of humor or if others felt the same way. I thought the first few episodes of the Big Bang Theory were abysmal but I think the writing has improved over the years. I wonder if this one will stay on the air long enough to get some decent scripts.

The idea behind the too many bananas was kind of funny. Mr Beezella and I have each bought, for example, dessert and had too much at once. I would have a very hard time throwing away food. However, they live in a huge apartment complex! Give them to neighbors! Or put a bowl at the front desk. There's always banana bread, but that only goes so far.

I also found the one night stand idea offensive.

Edited by Beezella
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Beezella said:

The idea behind the too many bananas was kind of funny. Mr Beezella and I have each bought, for example, dessert and had too much at once. I would have a very hard time throwing away food. However, they live in a huge apartment complex! Give them to neighbors! Or put a bowl at the front desk. There's always banana bread, but that only goes so far.

They have an infant grandson who seems to have disappeared.  Babies older than 6 months, and sometimes earlier, eat pureed bananas. Lots of them,  Especially over-ripe ones.

(Also, foil-wrapped peeled bananas on a stick. or sliced into chunks, freeze well and taste similar to ice cream, or at least a tasty frozen dessert!)

5 hours ago, Beezella said:

They have an infant grandson who seems to have disappeared.  Babies older than 6 months, and sometimes earlier, eat pureed bananas. Lots of them,  Especially over-ripe ones.

(Also, foil-wrapped peeled bananas on a stick. or sliced into chunks, freeze well and taste similar to ice cream, or at least a tasty frozen dessert!)

This is the only episode I've watched.  I should have read the posts here first or I'd have known better than to waste my time.  I am 59 years old and love "old timey" sitcoms but this one is just plain BAD.  I love Elliott Gould and saw the lead on a talk show and liked him so I thought I'd give it a watch.  Plus I'm from NYC and lived right under my parents in the same apartment building when I first got married, which created a lot of funny situations with them and some interesting neighbors, so I thought I'd relate to this, but again, it's just SO BAD that even I can't find something to like about it.  It turns out my own life was much funnier, so I think I'm better off with my memories plus reruns of "Seinfeld" and "Big Bang Theory".

• Love 2

For me, this was the first episode I quite enjoyed. It gave me hope the quality might improve over time.

The mother is shrill, but I enjoyed the father and him explaining what happened to the wallpaper in the bathroom amused me.

Luke is indeed "Cool Friend Luke."  Liked him.  They desperately need a normal guy on this show.

I'm still 'okay' with the show--they're doing a somewhat decent job of branching out to other storylines besides "family invades man's living space," but Mom Judy is WAY too rude and annoying.   Josh just accepts that his mother stole his turbo bike and borrows another?  "Henpecked husbands" afraid of their wives--is that still a laugh-getter?

Seems like Judy might be a terrific mother to have, if you could keep the Atlantic Ocean between you.  She'd send you lots of newspaper clippings about your classmates and your favorite American treats.  Otherwise:  hard pass.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 11:05 PM, Big Mother said:

What?!! I'm so surprised by the negative reviews here!!!

I was legit laughing out loud and cracking up too many times to count.

I guess being an an 'older' tv viewer - I'm in my 40's - and of a conservative background, I appreciated the old-timey feel of this sitcom, and that the jokes were not overly edgy or raunchy. There was some great comedic timing here, it was legit funny!!!

My only issue here is that the premise will wear thin pretty soon. How many episodes can you have of having meddlesom relatives ruining your life, before it gets boring. All Josh needs to do is move out, or change th elocks on the door, or give his parents/sibs a real riot act, and the premise of the show is over. I really don't like comedies where there's a bit old fat elephant in the room that's keeping the premise alive.

But the actual contenty of the episode was really laugh-out-loud funny, without becoming over the top or raunchy. I liked it.

I'm not surprised by the negative reviews on here. I learned a long time ago that some people like to "hate watch" shows and then run to message boards to say how much that "hate" XYZ shows.

I like it

Edited by stillhere1900

I just watched the first four episodes.  Those will be my only four episodes.   OMG the bad.  So, so, so bad.  I was like, 'this is a good cast.  I'll give it a go"   I genuinely do like the cast... and that is it.   

This show is simply awful, just awful. It's a sitcom from the 80s, but not even a good 80s sitcom. The overbearing mother trope is SO overdone, why is this such a regular depiction of mothers on TV? Sure, there are mothers who are like this, but seriously, find a new angle! It's not funny, or maybe these writers aren't talented enough to make it funny. Either way, it doesn't work.  The rest of the cast is forgettable. 

Linda Lavin and Elliot Gould did decades of great work to end up on this show? 

• Love 1

Bombs away!

Now opening the Eye’s night, Kevin Can Wait — with 6.3 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating — was on par with its own previous outing but delivered not even half of what Big Bang last did in the time slot (13.2 mil/2.8). That led 9JKL (5.1 mil/0.8) to drops of 29 and 43 percent.

(Last week was 7.2 million total viewers and a 1.4 demo rating.)

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 1

The highlight for me was that Dwayne Wayne from a Different World played the photographer. 

Has anyone ever seen the "Gavin" videos from Vine? The doorman makes me think that's what Gavin will look like when he grows up.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Is (I don't know the lead character's name) Blind Cop's apartment a studio? His bed is in the living room.

Harry and Judy shower Andrew with attention after he lands a local television gig as a medical correspondent, with help from Josh. Also, Eve grows frustrated by the lack of boundaries between her in-laws and Andrew.

If Josh just moved back home within the past few weeks, then what did Harry and Judy do all that time when he was away? Were they constantly intruding into Andrew and Eve's lives the way they are with Josh's now? Or didn't they ever pay any attention to them until Andrew got this TV job? 

Eve and Josh vie for the attention of Wyatt's perfect new nanny, until Josh realizes she is better with babies than adults. Also, after Andrew gets Harry and Judy a new television, they both remember why they prefer to watch in separate rooms. 

The show is getting better.  I love Elliott Gould's character.  The Mom was much less abrasive tonight.  And this was the first time I found the doorman funny.  The show could grow into something deserving of the talented actors it has cast.

I think Josh is the character that works the least for me which is too bad since it's his show.  He needs to have more interesting story lines than dating odd women.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

One weird little thing I noticed in this episode is that Judy and Harry's kitchen is covered in post-it notes. The refrigerator and the cabinets are literally covered with them. 

They've been there in previous episodes.  Maybe Mark Feuerstein's parents do the same thing.

21 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I really like the sibling interactions between the brothers. They have good chemistry and play off each other quite well. They just need to tone down the mother.

I especially liked the older brother's response when Josh expresses surprise he'd been seeing a therapist: "They're my parents too."

• Love 2

Sure, cancel the restaurant reservation in an attempt to force your mother to cook an entire holiday meal by herself.

I'd also have Wyatt (the baby) checked out.  He's too quiet for a real baby.  Probably because he's ignored so much, he's just given up.  I wonder if he enjoyed his first Thanksgiving.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
28 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Sure, cancel the restaurant reservation in an attempt to force your mother to cook an entire holiday meal by herself.

Yep, that's where the episode lost me, and that was in the first three minutes!

Initially I thought the mother was the worst character, but lead guy is pretty terrible too. What a manipulative, entitled brat. Last week he insisted on dating the nanny despite his brother and sister-in-law's objections, now this shit. And before that he horned in on his father and brother's event and made it all about him. He's a dick.

Then they promised me Walton in a mankini and I was back on board. And then they didn't follow through. Booooooo.

But naming the nursing home Shady Pines? They get points for that.

Boy, this episode was a roller coaster.

Edited by TheOtherOne

I enjoyed this episode. Fake Nana was funny and I like how the concierge guy kept wheeling her around. I also agree that Josh is self-centered but that's what happens when you grow up spoiled and coddled. I think this was the first episode I really liked.

Yeah, I have to grudgingly admit the show is growing on me. Mostly because of the cast. It's not great but it's not the worst sitcom on TV right now. I did think this episode was a step up and the writing is improving. Fake Nana was pretty funny and called them all on their crap. (But really  . . . what could Eve have done to every single dish that would have made all of them inedible? Even the turkey? I mean, either it's cooked or it isn't. It's not like it has "ingredients.")

After Harry gets sick, Josh accompanies Judy on a pre-planned anniversary spa getaway where everyone believes the two are a couple. While there, Josh alternates between 'dates' with his mother and Natalie, a woman he meets at the spa. 

18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I have to grudgingly admit the show is growing on me. Mostly because of the cast. It's not great but it's not the worst sitcom on TV right now. I did think this episode was a step up and the writing is improving. Fake Nana was pretty funny and called them all on their crap. (But really  . . . what could Eve have done to every single dish that would have made all of them inedible? Even the turkey? I mean, either it's cooked or it isn't. It's not like it has "ingredients.")

There's a lot to do with a turkey (just ask Bob Belcher from "Bob's Burgers").

I liked how everyone called the nasty old lady "Wrong Nana" consistently throughout the episode. 

Adam is the younger brother? I thought Josh was, but maybe that's because he's shorter.

While I enjoyed the episode, are we supposed to believe that in the 12 years he was in LA. Josh never came home for Thanksgiving? 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if the show has gotten better or if it's just worn me down, but I think it's won me over. This one was pretty charming and made me laugh out loud a few times. I thought the sassy gay guy was a stereotype I was exhausted with, yet I found the concierge hilarious, both his lines and the delivery. Plus the regular characters weren't annoying.

Part of me recognizes this still isn't a great show, but if it stays more like this, it'll remain the kind of show (and characters) I won't mind spending a half hour with. I don't have a lot of shows like that.

(It didn't hurt to watch this after the other three CBS sitcoms on the night. It's vastly superior to those, even Superior Donuts, which I enjoyed last year and which seems to have lost something.)

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 2

I haven't disliked this show in the past, but I hated pretty much everything about this one.  Of course the concierge refuses to believe that Josh and Judy aren't a couple, despite Josh's repeated insistence that they are mother and son.  Of course Josh meets a pretty girl at the spa and can't tell Judy about her because just as he is about to, she breaks down about how much she is enjoying their time together.  Of course she finds out because he spends the last of their "lover's credit" on beers in the bar (really?  He's that dumb?  He knew she was tracking the money.) 

And I really hated the "sick" storyline.  If I never see the tired old joke of grown people sneezing on others like 3 year olds again it will be too soon.  I have never been too sick to reach for a kleenex or napkin, or at the very least, turn my head away from others.  And then the person who got sneezed on gets sick immediately?  What kind of super bug was that?

Maybe I'm just cranky because my sinuses have been kicking my ass for the last couple of weeks, but the only thing I laughed at in this episode was Nick's "cure".  

Of course Josh meets a pretty girl at the spa and can't tell Judy about her because just as he is about to, she breaks down about how much she is enjoying their time together. 

And I think that was a deliberate, manipulative ploy on her part to prevent Josh from ditching her for the hottie. She knew what he was about to say and she went into this song and dance about how much it meant to her to have him spend time with her. "Now what were you saying about the lobby?" She knew damn well. 

That's kind of the thing with Judy - sometimes it's funny she's so manipulative but sometimes she crosses the line. We were all saying last episode, it was kind of a dick move for Josh to call the restaurant and cancel the reservation  . . . but look what he grew up with. He learned that kind of behavior from his mother.

If I never see the tired old joke of grown people sneezing on others like 3 year olds again it will be too soon. 

Agreed. That storyline didn't really work for me either.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this episode. It was funny, charming, and I think the cast has finally gelled. The chemistry is great and I'm a big fan of the brother who is a doctor.

I hope this show gets renewed because I think I will miss it if it's gone. Hopefully next week will be good as well.

After surprising Andrew, Josh and Eve with the gift of family burial plots, Harry and Judy learn that Josh and Eve don't want theirs, so they try to find a compatible couple to spend eternity with. Also, Josh hooks up with Nick's sister, Toni.