Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E08: Week 8: Trio Night

• Start Topic

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Selkie75 said:

Agree 100% with this, though in my opinion, it's gone beyond appears to actually doing. There is a clear agenda this season and I would say it's less about Normani winning than it is about Val winning. Normani seems like a sweet girl, talented and clearly can dance; not surprising as I remember reading somewhere she began training at a very young age and dancing is a large part of her career now. But, I feel like I know almost nothing about her, other than that. David is not the best dancer by far but I can't help but cheer for him because he wears his heart on his sleeve and is just so authentic. What Normani went through in terms of the bullying was horrible, but her dance this week was like another my most memorable year dance where people are likely to vote for the emotional connection rather than solely on the dance. That's fine, but other celebrities should have the same opportunity. They are tipping it so far in her direction - the over praising, the lack of critique, the nauseating hyperbole - that their agenda is becoming more and more crystal clear by the show. I feel like it could have been anyone partnered with Val (though no matter who they would have had some advantage, as has been the case historically) and they would be getting the same treatment. Because of him. Would really be interested to see him win once without so much help.

I don't think Normani really had a most memorable year dance until this week.  I think TPTB wanted 5th Harmony to perform so Normani had to use the positive part of being in that group for her memorable year dance.   Because of the bullying incident, Normani is guarded and we really don't know that much about her.  I can't say that I blame her though.

Everything you said about Val could be said about Derek.  As others have said, TPTB really care about their male pros that they think are "stars".  Now, that Derek is gone, that falls on Val.  Even when Derek was there, Val and Derek got the celebrities that had a chance to make it far.  Some might think that Derek didn't with Marilu last season but I do think they were hoping that she would be like Jennifer Grey. 

ETA - What I said about Val makes it look like I don't think that Normani deserves judges' praises.  I do think that Normani is the best dancer left.  Her praises are also not as bad as Bindi who they thought was an angel.  At least, they are talking about Normani's dancing ability.  They could tone down the hyperbole because it is a turn-off to a lot of people.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

I don't think Normani really had a most memorable year dance until this week.  I think TPTB wanted 5th Harmony to perform so Normani had to use the positive part of being in that group for her memorable year dance.   Because of the bullying incident, Normani is guarded and we really don't know that much about her.  I can't say that I blame her though.

Everything you said about Val could be said about Derek.  As others have said, TPTB really care about their male pros that they think are "stars".  Now, that Derek is gone, that falls on Val.  Even when Derek was there, Val and Derek got the celebrities that had a chance to make it far.  Some might think that Derek didn't with Marilu last season but I do think they were hoping that she would be like Jennifer Grey. 

ETA - What I said about Val makes it look like I don't think that Normani deserves judges' praises.  I do think that Normani is the best dancer left.  Her praises are also not as bad as Bindi who they thought was an angel.  At least, they are talking about Normani's dancing ability.  They could tone down the hyperbole because it is a turn-off to a lot of people.

Fair enough regarding the bullying and as I stated, what she endured was inexcusable. But even sharing a common experience has not made me warm up to her at all. Is that because of Val? I'll own it and say it's definitely possible but I have liked some of Val's other partners so that is not the only reason.

While I agree that TPTB definitely highlight the male pros (which is downright horrible when it comes to female pros like Emma and Lindsay), Val's "stardom" has always felt very forced to me. Of course, as you said, others will say that about Derek, but I have yet to understand how Amy Purdy was ever considered a a celebrity with an advantage and Amy Purdy has since become one of my all-time favorite celebrities to be on the show. I do appreciate you mentioning that both Derek and Val have been given celebrities who have a chance to make it far; I can definitely agree with that.

I guess for me there is no arc with Normani; she came in a talented dancer and will leave a talented dancer, regardless of who her pro was and whether or not she has a mirror ball trophy.  My guess is that since Derek is no longer on the show, TPTB are desperate to have someone win as much and will do what they have to to make it happen. Why they can't just let it happen naturally with say, Sasha or Artem, or even Val if it was meant to happen that way, I'll never understand. I have always been a viewer much more likely to vote for the celebrity who is just themselves, not so great dancing and all, and who improves from week to week. I am indeed a fan of the "journey" and there just isn't one there with Normani.

1 hour ago, Selkie75 said:

I know this is going all the way back to page one, but I just had to respond.

Henry failed because he has an ego the size of Texas and felt that he was better than being a troupe member assisting a celebrity and pro. Source for that is Shirley Ballas on Afterbuzz. Some might agree with him on that, I actually would have before that season, but arrogance is never a good look.  Sasha proved he could be a team player and I've been overjoyed to see him as a pro three times after that.

Shirley (rodent-face's "mother")is not without bias.

Nastia  seemed to like Henry

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Mr. T/Master P confusion made me laugh. I remember Master P, and poor Ashley. It was the first time I saw a "4" paddle. Not all old times are good times!

I think Master P holds the distinction of being the only one ever to see the "2" paddle. Week 4 he got 4-2-2.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Selkie75 said:

While I agree that TPTB definitely highlight the male pros (which is downright horrible when it comes to female pros like Emma and Lindsay), Val's "stardom" has always felt very forced to me.

I so agree with this and I think that's because he really didn't have to prove himself. He was spotlighted and featured as a star the minute he arrived on the show because he was the successor to Maks where other new pros had to earn their way up the ladder.

11 hours ago, gohawks said:

Shirley (rodent-face's "mother")is not without bias.

Nastia  seemed to like Henry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ This is the sort of thing that feels pointless to argue and re-litigate, since none of us were in the room, but I followed Nastia on Instagram after that season and she likes and comments and posts to Derek and Sasha all the time, and never to Henry. If we want to guess at Nastia's feelings.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

He was spotlighted and featured as a star the minute he arrived on the show because he was the successor to Maks where other new pros had to earn their way up the ladder.

It wasn't even just as the successor to Maks. There was apparently the whole Val vs. Mark ballroom competition history that was highlighted and referenced when they did that whole dance/musical battle performance. Val's name had been thrown around for awhile before he joined the show and I remembered reading that a reason he hadn't yet joined was because he was still competing professionally. So by the time he joined the show, he did come with all this "buzz". I didn't see the big deal and he was eliminated quickly that season but then I think it was by his next season he had Kelly for the All-Stars season and that showmance happened. 

13 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

This is the sort of thing that feels pointless to argue and re-litigate, since none of us were in the room, but I followed Nastia on Instagram after that season and she likes and comments and posts to Derek and Sasha all the time, and never to Henry. If we want to guess at Nastia's feelings.

For me it also comes down to the fact that the no matter who one likes or dislikes, in my opinion it's clear as day that both Derek and Henry are egotistical. Most creative people are. And so for me, this was simply a battle of egos. And whatever one's feelings about him, the fact was Derek was the one billed as the Pro and Nastia was his celebrity, which means he was more than entitled to not want someone making changes to his choreography, IMO.

Also, all the proof I need that Henry is an egotistical douche is that picture my friend sent me of his Memorial Day Instagram post, which was a shot of him in some speedo, with an American flag draped over him, with his caption thanking the brave men and women for their sacrifice that allowed him to follow his dreams. Like what dream was that - to take a douchy half naked picture with a flag draped over him?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Also, all the proof I need that Henry is an egotistical douche is that picture my friend sent me from of his Memorial Day Instagram post, which was a shot of him in some speedo, with an American flag draped over him, with his caption thanking the brave men and women for their sacrifice that allowed him to follow his dreams. Like what dream was that - to take a douchy half naked picture with a flag draped over him?

Remember his whole 50 Shades of Gray photo shoot he was posting on Instagram? LOL

6 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Remember his whole 50 Shades of Gray photo shoot he was posting on Instagram? LOL

That was when I unfollowed him. It was ridiculous. And I mostly like Henry! 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, luvthepros said:

Scratching my head about this. Mr. T. is notorious as the most obstinate and horrid dancer ever to appear on this show. I can only assume your statement is merely hyperbole.

Umm, no. That would be Master P. 

Oops, sorry, just saw that others have already made the Mr. T-Master P. correction...

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 1