Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Crushing Blows

• Start Topic

Nick :( go get help, dude. Not very cool of ya to play with Wild Bill's feelings like that.

Jake lucked out big time with only 1100 lbs of dead loss.

Close call for Keith trying to get out of the docks, too! 

And Zack's back for cod fishing. Wonder what he's been up to.

• Love 6

Holy Crap - Am I the only person that did not see it coming about Nick as an Opoid addict ? What a jerk to play with Bill's feelings like that. I don't think Bill was too bright buying the boat with plans to turn it over to Nick someday. He already knew about Nick's drinking problem and something like that would be a risk.

Jake sounded kind of crazy when he was laughing when he was talking to Lenny about the crab loss. He has got to learn to control his temper or he will have a heart attack/stroke or loose his mind.

Wow, close call for Keith moving the Wizard.

Jake needs to take lessons from Sean in terms of how to treat his crew and manage a boat. If you have a lazy crew get rid of them, there are I am sure other fisherman who you can hire. The  difference between the two is night and day and Sean is 11 years younger than Jake.

• Love 5

So... what are the rules about calling the authorities about drugs on the boat so that you don't (as captain) risk your insurance/license?  Is it the difference between discovering them at sea and discovering them in town?  Seemed odd for Bill to lay it all out there - when he kept saying he wasn't going to have it, I thought that meant he had called the cops.  

Would love for Zach and Sean to really hit it off and work productively together.  The older guys were raised by the caveman generation of crab fishermen (their term, not mine), and even the ones who have evolved still have certain expectations and dysfunctional behaviors - it's part of what has kept them on the show.  Sean and Zach are calmer, more balanced people, but they might still do perfectly fine in the industry.  We've had other captains featured over the years who were low drama (Rick Quashnik, Rollo guy, Jim (I think, the guy who so calmly handled the rescue when his deckhand went overboard), the guy who wore the sweaters, even Derrick (until pushed beyond his limits).  So there ARE calmer personalities out there making a living, even if they're not prime documentary material.  

Let's not forget that Sean (or his family, anyway) have another boat.  Depending on how happy they are with whoever is running that one, Zach could still work his way into the captain's chair by being a relief skipper to Sean and moving up that way.  

I expect Bill will sell out and move back to sport fishing in warmer climes (as he was when we first met him) as soon as the show ends.

• Love 3

Are we going to have to listen to Bill bitch about Zach working on another boat for the rest of the season?  I hope not.  Bill and Zach just don't work well together and it's probably in both their best interests if Zach works separately.  He can just keep gaining experience and decide if fishing is what he wants to do.  How old is Zach? He's over 30 I think, so he needs to make a decision about his future.  Maybe if Bill keeps the boat, and retires in a few years, Zach will be ready to take over.  Has Zach taken any steps toward getting his captains license, like Jake did?  I also wonder if Zach had any clue about Nick's drug use?  I hope he didn't or else that would be a real slap in the face for Bill.  To let a known addict run gear on a boat, far from land is criminal IMO.  If anyone got hurt or killed, Nick, his dealer and any of the crew who knew should be held responsible.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well, we all know Derick called the police on Jake Harris when he suspected he was smoking pot on the CM. I guess captains are obligated to notify authorities. I remember Derick saying captains could lose their boats if drugs were caught on the boat.  Based on the history of addiction in the fishing industry and the injury rate, I am not surprised Nick has the Opoid problem.  Very sad about Nick as he is a great fisherman

I  think Zach has gotten his captain's license as he has done tendering in the summer for Bill.  Zach will be 33 in either July or August of this year.

OB - I agree, both Zach and Sean seem to have similar personalities. I would guess they would work well together.

Edited by NEGirl
4 hours ago, NEGirl said:

OB - I agree, both Zach and Sean seem to have similar personalities. I would guess they would work well together.

Or they'd have the world's most laid back clash.

• Love 3

I'd love to see a scene where Bill calls Zach and tells him he wants him back on his boat; then Zach would say, "Gee, Dad/Bill, I'm working on the Brenna A now.  Sean treats me like a capable adult, and when we do have a disagreement, he doesn't use it as an opportunity to badmouth Mom.  So, no thanks.  I'm good."

• Love 9

AZ - Me too...

Saw on another site that has Nick completed rehab that Bill paid for and is now clean and sober. Looks like Bill and Nick are back on good terms. I like Nick so I am glad to hear this. 

• Love 7

Or they'd have the world's most laid back clash.

Zach:  I'm really sorry, that was my bad...

Sean:  What are you talking about? That was MY bad....

Zach: So, are we good? It's nice talking about stuff instead of yelling about it.

Sean:  Yes, we're good.  No worries, communication is one of the fundamentals of good relationships.

• Love 7

Arguably the most dishonest edit in DC histoire with Jake A. and the Saga.

No, not the dead loss.  The fact they never showed us the excellent harvest they absolutely must have had from Sig's pots.  We saw the first one in the string and it was awful,  That was the last we saw.  Then, we had the loose bin boards and he had to come in sooooo early.  B.S.  He brought in, what, over 70K pounds of live crab?  How much more was he planning on being able to keep in his tanks????  He was no more than a couple of days away of coming in anyway.  Annnnnd...the fishing was GREAT.  

No mention of the time Jake had to then take to offload Sig's pots in his conversation with the owner.  Did he think the owner would never find out how messed up everything was?  Maybe he needs to go back to his original "family."

Good to know that Bill's entire future is tied up in the boat and he is not even going to stick around for cod.  He's just gonna fold his tent and have a catastrophic end of the year.  Huh?  What about his partners?  They just sat back and let the ship sit idle in port?  

• Love 5

No tears for Nick.   I have no use for liars or people who endanger other people's lives and livelihoods.

Not only that, Nick has been a first-class asshole to greenhorns and Zack for years now.   I used to cringe watching his abuse of Zack while Bill stood by saying nothing.

• Love 5

What chaps my hide is how much favoritism Wild Bill showed to Nick all these years, while knowing he was a fuck up, yet he shat all over his own son at every turn just because his son reminded him of his ex-wife.  That "You're just like your Mother" comment, and many more asides to the camera just like it, traumatized me - goodness knows what it did to Zach.  Wild Bill may have great hair, but the chip on his shoulder from carrying all that resentment is heavy enough to capsize a crab boat.

He got the "son" he deserved in Nick.

• Love 7

Is there something about cod fishing that I don't know (other than everything)?  I know that's not what they signed up for and is not as lucrative as crabbing, but they have to understand that in order to be crabbing in the future, you have to do whatever you have to do now?  It's just crazy to me that someone would give up a job (possibly a career) because they don't want to do a few weeks of something else.  I hope they don't get hired by another boat.  I know if I were hiring I'd take into consideration the fact that someone was that unreliable.  They looked like a bunch of 175 lb babies to me and I was embarrassed for them.  So somebody please tell me what the horror of cod fishing is.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:22 PM, kassa said:

I expect Bill will sell out and move back to sport fishing in warmer climes (as he was when we first met him) as soon as the show ends.

Hopefully the fishery improves or he may not even recoup his investment.  He'd have bought high and sold low.  He might be stuck on the Bearing Sea for a while if things don't turn around.  Maybe he can get Josh Harris or Elliott to captain for him.  Lmao

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, eskimo said:

Is there something about cod fishing that I don't know (other than everything)? 

Haha!  I'm sure I know no more than you, but in previous seasons captains have explained that King crab fishing (and maybe opies?) was the reward for working the rest of the year on the boat.  Especially in the derby days, you could make tens of thousands of dollars in a single week... but the people who got that opportunity were the people who did the long, boring, less lucrative seasons in other fisheries, as well as time in the ship yard rigging the pots and doing boat maintenance.  It was one of the problems that Andy had with Jon's kid, and Phil (I think ) with his own kids -- they wanted to draw a big paycheck for the three months a year the boat was raking in the big bucks, and leave the 9 months of grunt work to everybody else.

• Love 4

Even successful boats work to stay active (and earn money) during the non-crabbing season.  Some fish for cod or salmon.  Some (including the Time Bandit) serve as tenders for other boats during the salmon season.  These BrennaA guys should understand that ALL of us sometimes have to do jobs that we'd rather not do.  It's called "working for a living."  A captain is more likely to keep crew members who are loyal to the boat, even in the off season.  

• Love 4

That's what I thought Kassa and AZ.  It's why I'm so confused over the whole thing.  Maybe it's because the Brenna A is a new boat and they haven't had the 'non-crabbing' duties of crabbing modeled for them?  They were scheduled to be out at that time anyway, he wasn't even asking them to give up any personal time.  Says a lot about their character.  I'd like to see them act like that to Keith, they'd go home with their heads in their luggage.  Lol  Big babies!

I'd also like to add that if their problem is that it doesn't pay well enough, have they considered the pay they get for not working at all?  Dumb asses.

• Love 4

AZ & Eskimo - I agree - fishing cod and salmon is necessary to keep a boat running. I remember WAY back when they showed shots of Phil fishing, cod and tendering with Jake and Josh. I am sure Sean has found some guys who will work for him no problem and understand the need to keep the boat running. Even the NW does tendering in the summer. I know Bill had Zach doing the tendering when he had the Cape Caution.

Kassa - Yep, that was the big bone of contention between Scotty/Johnathan and Andy. Scotty did not want to wish in the summer because he wanted to spend the time with his kids. Andy said he would never make captain unless he devoted his life to the boat or some such words.

• Love 4

I do remember though that cod fishing is really a grind.  In one of the earlier seasons, Sig pretty much fished his crew 24/7 on cod, since he said he could catch as much as he wanted.  And after that season, one of his crew up and quit (and I think never to be seen again).  His name was Adam(?), I think.

And there isn't a whole lot of $$ for all that grind either.  But as they say, "It's a living..." So sometimes you do have to do stuff you don't want to in order to keep a business running.

• Love 2