Type keyword(s) to search

Doc Martin - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched the final episode last night!  I may watch again as I was feeling down and anxious and thought a comedy would take my mind off before bed.

It was a wonderful satisfying ending to a series that's been around for years but I only discovered by trying it out recently during the pandemic, and binged until this final season was released.

Portwenn is such a lovely place (real life Port Isaac) and I thoroughly enjoyed each season.

Mrs. Tishell was such a loon in the last episode!

What did you think of Ruth's theory of Doc being misdiagnosed?

Louisa seems to have sorted herself out with the trials and tribulations of being married to Martin and was quite likeable in the end.

I loved the little dogs each season.  Chicken found his home and was welcomed in at last.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I've had very mixed feelings about this show.  There are too many people that we are supposed to find funny that I just find very annoying.  Then there is the Doc who I find frustrating.

On the positive side, the place is so beautiful and I enjoy the visits there and the stories are usually interesting.  I'm glad they tied up the series with Doc Martin's change of attitude toward staying.

• Love 1

Mrs. Tishell ruins this show. Even worse than Bert. Otherwise I enjoy every character. Louisa did very well helping Martin in the last regular episode. She is a great actress.  Perfect casting finding James. Martin Clunes is also a great actor. Beautiful scenery. Love this show. Will miss it. One more to go, the Christmas episode.

Edited by rcc
Mrs. Tishell - looked it up IMDb.com.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I like the way the series ended, but I thought the last ten minutes or so were rushed.  Everything wrapped up too fast.

I liked Mrs. TISHELL, although she could be annoying at times, but not nearly as annoying as Bert and Joe.  I didn't find them comical at all.  I don't see the series as a comedy.  Yes, there are humorous moments, but there's also some serious ones.  I guess I'd call it a dramedy.  

I will really miss Dr. Ellingham and his family.  Would love to watch the children grow, but I understand that the actors want to do other things.  I thank them for all the joy they have brought to their many fans.

Edited by DonnaMae
Spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, roseha said:

I guess I'm the only one who has seen the final episode?  I will check back later.

They did do a good job of wrapping things up though there were some plot twists I didn't exactly expect.

Kind of agree about Bert being so annoying (though he softens in the last ep) but to me Mrs. Tissel has always been the worst.  Being obsessed with someone as she is with the Doc should possibly make her a sympathetic character on some level but I just find her grating not to mention predictable.

Bert used to redeem himself one way or another in the past, but this season he really didn't.

16 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

^^^^This^^^^

I think that Mrs. Tissel is supposed to be a comic element, but she stopped being funny when she started commiting felonies.  Also, they are pretty clear that this is a woman with mental health issues and using that for comedy (when it isn't needed...there is already a lot of comedy in this show) is distasteful.  

Yeah, I would have liked to see Mrs. Tishell finally come to grips with her obsession and let him go. After she crossed the line a few seasons back, it seems in poor taste to have her dancing anywhere near that line at this point. Ruth was not a very effective doctor for her.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, ForReal said:

Bert used to redeem himself one way or another in the past, but this season he really didn't.

Yeah, I would have liked to see Mrs. Tishell finally come to grips with her obsession and let him go. After she crossed the line a few seasons back, it seems in poor taste to have her dancing anywhere near that line at this point. Ruth was not a very effective doctor for her.

Speaking of irredeemable, not only did Sally Tishell cross the line in seasons past, but I guess even the quirkiest locals got so used to her that no one thought to call the mental health hospital to try to get her off that van and into some form of treatment!  Ruth certainly had had her work cut out for her with that woman.

• Like 2

*FINAL EPISODE*

Yes I think if you want to have an obsessive character like Sally Tishel for a show that runs ten seasons, you really ought to have some sort of character development, which they clearly never did.  Otherwise they probably should have written her out but no one ever seems to leave Portwenn so...

I didn't love the London episode though I realize it was probably necessary to set up the end of the story.  The part about Martin's old flame was kind of meh to me.  I thought they'd follow up about Louisa's father but I guess there was nothing further to say about him.

I spent the last couple of episodes wondering if Martin and Louisa and family were really going to leave or not but when Ruth told him he was wasting his talent by going to London I figured they would end up staying.

I wasn't expecting a scene with Martin almost bleeding to death and Louisa having to save him!  Still the show has always been light enough that I figured he would make it. 

I could have done without that doctor telling Louisa "I'm sorry..." as if Martin had died when he just had forgotten his glasses!

I did like the ending with the dog coming in and then Martin looking out and closing the door.

Just as with Baby James I got a kick out of the number of credited babies playing Mary.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, roseha said:

*SPOILERS*

Yes I think if you want to have an obsessive character like Sally Tishel for a show that runs ten seasons, you really ought to have some sort of character development, which they clearly never did.  Otherwise they probably should have written her out but no one ever seems to leave Portwenn so...

I didn't love the London episode though I realize it was probably necessary to set up the end of the story.  The part about Martin's old flame was kind of meh to me.  I thought they'd follow up about Louisa's father but I guess there was nothing further to say about him.

I spent the last couple of episodes wondering if Martin and Louisa and family were really going to leave or not but when Ruth told him he was wasting his talent by going to London I figured they would end up staying.

I wasn't expecting a scene with Martin almost bleeding to death and Louisa having to save him!  Still the show has always been light enough that I figured he would make it. 

I could have done without that doctor telling Louisa "I'm sorry..." as if Martin had died when he just had forgotten his glasses!

I did like the ending with the dog coming in and then Martin looking out and closing the door.

Just as with Baby James I got a kick out of the number of credited babies playing Mary.

I missed the credited Mary babies although I remember there were two James baby actors.  I was always keeping track of the dogs!  If I remember correctly two dogs played Buddy from last season and Chicken was played by a dog named Taffy who was credited as the name of Taffy's Owner and Handler, Sonia Turner or something like that.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, roseha said:

*FINAL EPISODE*

I think that was the best moment of the entire season, to be honest.

• Love 3

Did a Christmas night marathon with relatives to view the whole last season together on Acorn for free.  It was a delight to see everyone again although Sally is in serious need of some adjustments to her medication.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 12/31/2022 at 8:32 PM, Cetacean said:

The Christmas special is up on Acorn, it's the ninth episode in season 10.  I haven't found the behind=the-scenes episode, though.

I just watched the behind the scenes episode. It was highlighted on the main Acorn screen and is called "Farewell Doc Martin". Very well done. 

I thought that the Christmas episode was good too. I really enjoy the various characters - even though it is hard to find new things for them to do. Nice ending to the series. 

• Like 5

As the daughter of a mother much like Martin's, I appreciate that they didn't show a happy change of attitude in the mother.  Martin said, "I forgive you," and she responded (IIRC), "For what?"  And when her memorial lantern fell onto the Christmas tree and set fire to it, my thought was . . . "Yep, and that ending would have not bothered her (or my Female Birth Vessel) at all.  Forget what the impact is on other people.  Just create havoc and upset others if possible."

Bye, Doc . . . thanks for the beautiful scenery and for making us aware that folks who are "different" aren't necessarily worse.  They're just different.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2

I've been a loyal watcher since the beginning.  I have loved this show and will miss it, even as I understand it's time for everyone to move on.

I was sort of "meh" about the last season.  Due to COVID, they had two extra YEARS to write really good scripts and what we got was average at best.  

Several of the stories were retreads from prior episodes.  Martin's smart doctor GF -- did that one several years ago.  Trying to decide whether to go to London.  Been there and done that.  Martin's car crashing.  Done that at least twice.   U.S. series have 22 episodes per year and manage to come up with new ideas.  UK series only do 8 episodes -- there really isn't a need to repeat plot lines.

My second issue is the treatment of women on this series (and this isn't a feminist rant).  Why is it that we can't have any professional women who aren't (1) incompetent, (2) ill, and /or (3) nasty?  Just this series we had the herbalist, the female MDs at the conference, and Martin's ex. Even Louisa is treated as second-rate in terms of her career.  Given that a woman is producing this show (Clunes' wife no less), you'd think that they could show ONE woman as a competent professional on a par with Doc Martin.

Finally, I didn't find the dialogue as "crisp" or as engrossing as in prior seasons.  There used to be a lot of double entendre, witty repartee, and just an overall spark to what was said and how it was said.  It's hard to explain, but it all seemed rather "mushy."  I could understand if this season had been rushed, but it obviously wasn't.  

Rather than doing the "I'm leaving for London, no I'm not, yes I am, no I'm not," plot, I would have liked to have seen a story arc about Martin learning to appreciate his role in the community and the community showing more appreciation to and for him.  Would have loved there to be a party for him staying or people welcoming him back to practicing after his "retirement."  There was a lot of potential and it seemed the writers took the easy way out by recycling old plots.

The above said, I will miss seeing the ongoing antics -- the kids turning into teenagers, etc.  But all good things must end and this is no exception.

• Like 7

I just binged the final season, having just remembered to watch it. 

Bert and Mrs Tishell remained infuriating to the end. Especially Bert.  His scammer ways are no longer funny.  

For some reason, the Christmas episode seemed cheesy to me.  I know it's Christmas.  The acting almost seemed satire like.  I did love Santa and his car/sled at the end. What did the kids think though of seeing 2 santas?

• Like 1
On 7/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, howiveaddict said:

Bert and Mrs Tishell remained infuriating to the end. Especially Bert.  His scammer ways are no longer funny. 

I agree. Early on, Bert balanced his conniving with a kind heart, but later he just seemed selfish and willing to take advantage of his own son. Mrs. Tishell worked so hard to overcome her feelings, I didn't like seeing her slip back in the end.

• Like 3

I saw an episode from Season 2 on tv recently, so I started streaming early episodes and I'm on S4 now. I had always rather sided with Martin than Louisa because I thought she was often unfair to him, but sheesh, he could be awful, usually to other people. I watched an episode where a woman's husband died (right next to Martin on the train), and he couldn't seem to figure out how to offer the tiniest bit of compassion to her. It seemed unrealistic to me that he couldn't fathom her pain to some degree, couldn't expend any effort to care for her. Also, when he spouted off about how Louisa couldn't have a baby and teach -- really? There were no other working parents in Port Wen, or in all of England that he had undoubtably come across in his lifetime? How did he expect her to live without income, and he not once offered child support. Granted, they were at odds and they had to work through things, but it felt like the writing for him was a bit heavy handed.

I did like how, after the failed marriage attempt, when she accused him of preparing to leave her at altar, he pointed out that she wasn't at the alter. I think that was, in a sense, his appeal to her -- he was able to call her out when she was wrong, and not many people ever did that to her.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, zapper said:

season 10 started on PBS, I've watched episodes 1 and 2, but with nothing in this forum, it would seem I am the only one :)

I'm watching it too.  Thanks for posting.  Episode 3 tonight.   

• Thanks 1
On 8/6/2023 at 5:00 PM, kaygeeret said:

Just one gal's opinion.

Probably the only one.  "Doc Martin" is a very popular series. I never got bored of the series or most of the characters, although I was not a fan of Bert Large.

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1

I liked Bert when I started watching (i picked it up around season 5), when I went back I still enjoyed him. But later -  after the Large Whiskey endevour - I started to tire of him and now I just see him as  getting worse and lazier (even for Bert!) while Al has blossomed and really got his "stuff" together.

This last season just seems like they're all tired.  This third episode was probably the most boring of the entire series.  I didn't care for Mrs Tischel for a while but I'm back to liking her.  She is comic relief on a show that badly needs it.  Bert is just kind of pathetic.  But I love the scenery and I know I'll watch it to the end.    

• Mind Blown 1
On 12/30/2023 at 1:49 PM, zapper said:

season 10 started on PBS, I've watched episodes 1 and 2, but with nothing in this forum, it would seem I am the only one :)

Wait! What? ugh! I missed it

• Like 1

I liked this weeks episode a lot better than last weeks.  I get a kick out of those very small cups the Doc drinks out of.    It was nice seeing Mrs Patmore (Lesley Nicol) from Downton Abbey.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this last episode immensely, maybe because some of it was outside of Portwenn.  This one had the doc's former girlfriend, and I loved the interaction between her and Louisa (Laura?).  I even enjoyed the parts with Janice.   

• Like 1

I must be the only one watching.  I enjoyed this last episode too.  And I especially like Morwenna.  She has the best facial expressions.  

• Like 1
On 1/29/2024 at 10:29 AM, alias1 said:

I must be the only one watching.  I enjoyed this last episode too.  And I especially like Morwenna.  She has the best facial expressions.  

I watch every Tuesday between 4pm and 9pm on Ovation.

• Like 1
On 2/5/2024 at 3:29 PM, peacheslatour said:

I watch every Tuesday between 4pm and 9pm on Ovation.

I watch on PBS. They show new episodes every Saturday night at 8pm.  Sadly, this Saturday is the last episode of the series.  

• Sad 1

not a bad wrap up  - but I think that there is another [Christmas] show to happen, no?

maybe we'll see a reformed Doc who is more like the movie version, still gruff but a lot more socially acceptable with more emotion than just disdain.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zapper said:

not a bad wrap up  - but I think that there is another [Christmas] show to happen, no?

maybe we'll see a reformed Doc who is more like the movie version, still gruff but a lot more socially acceptable with more emotion than just disdain.

There's a MOVIE?!?

49 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There's a MOVIE?!?

couple of prequel movies. Everyone says that the character is so much more relaxed and congenial, but I see the same curmudgeonly cantankerous person deep inside.

Doc Martin (2001) and Doc Martin and the Legend of the Cloutie (2003). Both on DVD and worthwhile.  Both spin-offs from the movie Saving Grace (2000) which I have not seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1