Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Ace Reporter

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And where is Superman? S1 had everyone pinning for him, and at least we had the occasional IM from Clark, or mention of him, but now, since they have shown us Superman in episode 1 and 2 he is never heard from again.

I think Clark is in this weird bubble. On the one hand, it's logical to wonder--when you have National City being hit by an earthquake for example, or explosions happening all over that even Kara can't get to all of at once--why no one calls Superman for assistance. Especially when he has shown he WILL come of his own accord when he feels it's necessary, like with the shuttle in the season premiere. On the other hand, this is Kara's show, and they don't want it to seem like Kara can't be the hero herself or needs her cousin to pull her out of a jam all the time.

3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

"Starling".  It was a reference to the flock of starlings that inspired his "fix" for the Biomax or whatever it was.  I was surprised that it wasn't Lena's birthday.

Thanks.  I watched it again and was able to hear what she said.  But I still can't understand what Mon-El said when he took Jack's security badge.  Right after Kara said "What did you do?"  Something about shenanigans.

11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, JapMo said:

I'm scratching my head on this statement.  If anyone eats all the time, it's Kara, shoving potstickers in her face, slamming back ice cream all the time and eating cupcakes.   I can't recall Mon-El eating that much.

It's a figure of speech. It doesn't refer to literal eating, but to overacting in such a way that he dominates everyone else.  A similar (and more familiar) expression is "chew the scenery."

Hmmm....I think it was literal, since I've not seen any comments on this board or others that they think Chris overacts.      

My comment wasn't about overacting or eating on the show. "Eating the show" referres to the way that Mon-El this season has taken up a disproportionate amount of screentime--especially in episodes that should focus on other characters, like 2x14--and the way Kara hasn't had a storyline this season because Mon-El's arc has been prioritized and focused on instead of hers (and her "storyline," insofar as she's had one, has been reacting to him).

Basically it's a figure of speech that means I strongly agree with everyone else who posted that 2 minutes is the right amount of screentime for Mon-El and that it was refreshing that Kara powered the plot this week.

• Love 7

Those nanobots reminded me of a less creepy version of the bugs from the Mummy movies. 

This episode was okay. I didn't care for the James/Winn stuff. It seemed like filler. James could be written off of the show without ever being mentioned again and I wouldn't notice or care. I would rather see more stuff at the DEO. 

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

My comment wasn't about overacting or eating on the show. "Eating the show" referres to the way that Mon-El this season has taken up a disproportionate amount of screentime--especially in episodes that should focus on other characters, like 2x14--and the way Kara hasn't had a storyline this season because Mon-El's arc has been prioritized and focused on instead of hers (and her "storyline," insofar as she's had one, has been reacting to him).

Never heard the term before.  Heard 'chewing scenery' but never 'eating the show'.  OK, I learned something new.

42 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Never heard the term before.  Heard 'chewing scenery' but never 'eating the show'.  OK, I learned something new.

You must not watch soap operas then!?

Both the characters of Sonny-the-worst-mob-boss-murdering-whiny-Corinthos and Victor Newman, from General Hospital and The Young and the Restless, have been eating their shows for over two decades now, but their is no end or relief in sight. I finally broke the cord and stopped watching GH a year and a half ago, but I have friends who still watch.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

You must not watch soap operas then!?

Both the characters of Sonny-the-worst-mob-boss-murdering-whiny-Corinthos and Victor Newman, from General Hospital and The Young and the Restless, have been eating their shows for over two decades now, but their is no end or relief in sight. I finally broke the cord and stopped watching GH a year and a half ago, but I have friends who still watch.

I don't watch anymore but I remember Sonny.  We're going way back here when John Bernadino was still alive.  He played Dr. Steve Hardy.  And he complained that they were ruining the show with all the mobster stuff.  Yeah, you either liked the new GH with all Sonny and Jason or you stopped watching.   Y&R was one of the few soaps I never watched.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JapMo said:

Thanks.  I watched it again and was able to hear what she said.  But I still can't understand what Mon-El said when he took Jack's security badge.  Right after Kara said "What did you do?"  Something about shenanigans.

According to the closed captioning:

Mon-El: Use me for good. Please. ( in a Japanese accent)

Kara: This is an exception.

Mon-El: Yes! Shenanigans.

Kara: Shut up.

The bit with the vaguely racist accent reminds me that I like Chris Wood in this role but wish someone would remind him he's playing an alien when he starts to adlib random shit.

• Love 2

Damn, of course they killed Jack off. I was hoping Rahul would be recurring on this show since he's such a mopey drip now on iZombie, and I loved his chemistry with Lana.  Now she's probably going to turn evil and turn on Supergirl.

Missed Alex and Hank, but I like the James/Winn/ Lyra dynamic. I didn't like her go all nutso on him at the bar- it was OOC. 

1 hour ago, twoods said:

Damn, of course they killed Jack off. I was hoping Rahul would be recurring on this show since he's such a mopey drip now on iZombie

I was the other way around. When I saw him, I went "regular on iZombie, Jack is dead.

• Love 1

I forgot the show was coming back! And it was Rahul's episode! Nooo.

Well, I liked Jack and Jack and Lena's flirtation. They actually felt like two adults instead of bickering teenagers, like I though the show liked their romances, and I appreciatted that so much (I'll be fair, Alex and Maggie are not that bad). The Jack character was likeable due to Rahul but if it were any other actor I would have felt cold about him dying in the same episode we met him. Especially after he was set up to appear to be the villain for most of it. Still, that is one good looking man.

I was actually very endeared by Lena when she didn't get upset at Kara for crashing her date. That was nice. I liked their last scene in the couch, so touching and I love Kara as a protector. I really don't want her to go to the dark side but I'm excited for her story if it goes there, I'm not sure what I want.

My favorite part of the episode was seeing Kara get back into reporting and following the investigation and being protective and a hero. Her last scene with Snapper was very nice. I also thought Melissa Benoist looked especially gorgeous this episode, I loved the blue and white shirt and white skirt she was wearing, oh, and that blue dress and coat Karie McGrath was wearing was also fantastic, they should let her keep her hair down more often.

I wish they would have added a scene with Kara and Alex processing Kara witnessing the whistleblower's death and not being able to help him, I get that other things needed to be furthered but I could have done with a little less Lyra-Winn.

I feel so bad for James for the way the show has treated him this season that it hurts to complain about his story but I just didn't care for it and thought he was in the right and Winn was in the wrong.

Mon El was ok, it's kind of sad because I can't get over my dislike of him to fully enjoy him when he is being fun. I don't get why he couldn't have been a fully nice guy all the time instead of making him a douche who rehabilitates for Kara.

• Love 3

I agree with those who said Kara got her job back just a little to easily.  I thought perhaps Snapper would say something like, "It's about time you actually adhered to proper journalistic standards.  Keep this up and perhaps you might be able to work for me again."  And have her freelance for awhile before Snapper would agree to take her back.  Oh well, it's really no biggie for me.  I would think being a superhero and working for the DEA would be a full time job in itself.  At least the opening credits are correct now -- she is a reporter for CatCo once again.  :)

As I said before, I like Mon-El in small doses.  Am glad in this episode his dose was small.  It was kinda fun to see him steal the badge and him and Kara sneaking around that office.  Really don't care for Guardian plotline, but I am glad James and Winn allowed Kyra to work with them.  She does kick butt rather well.  Just gotta direct that kick butting properly is all.

One minor thing.  When Lena and Kara were talking about their "Kryptonite", just seemed a bit strange.  Is Kryptonite part of their world's vernacular?  I suppose the story from last season about Red Kryptonite might have made it into the public arena.  Just seemed a bit funny to have them talk about it that way in their universe. 

Decent filler episode.  Looks like Mommy Dearest is gonna be back again as soon as next week.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Dovega said:

Mon El was ok, it's kind of sad because I can't get over my dislike of him to fully enjoy him when he is being fun. I don't get why he couldn't have been a fully nice guy all the time instead of making him a douche who rehabilitates for Kara.

Then he wouldn't be interesting.  He'd be like James.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2017 at 8:48 PM, Dovega said:

I was actually very endeared by Lena when she didn't get upset at Kara for crashing her date. That was nice. I liked their last scene in the couch, so touching and I love Kara as a protector. I really don't want her to go to the dark side but I'm excited for her story if it goes there, I'm not sure what I want.

I hope Lena doesn't go to the dark side, either, especially given how clear she's made it that she's nothing like the rest of her family and wants as little to do with them as possible.  But I can see why people think that could happen, since Lena herself admitted that she's most afraid of turning into Lillian 2.0 if she ever does cross that line once she starts feeling again after the shock of losing Jack again (and being the one to put him down) has worn off.

As for SuperCorp?  Nope.  Still not seeing it.  I'm seeing more repressed sexual tension between James and Winn (didn't James himself tell Winn that now that he and Winn are "brothers," he's having feelings about his friendship with Winn that he hasn't felt since he and Clark were inseparable BFFs?).  Yet nobody's seriously shipping Jinn -- or even thinking about shipping them -- the way they're shipping the hell out of SuperCorp.

I can see why people ship Supercorp - Melissa and Katie have a lot of chemistry.  Personally I don't see them as a couple as Kara seems completely straight to me (not that anyone is completely straight).  I have to admit Lena gives off some serious power-lesbian vibes and that might be interesting to play with - she likes Kara who doesn't reciprocate, or she tries to muscle in on Alex or Maggie.  That could bring out a side to her that people wouldn't like without her going "bad", and could make some of her motivation questionable.

I can't see James and Winn though - mainly because I just don't care at all about James.  They really ruined his character.

1 hour ago, FortKnox said:

So which relationship has the biggest gay undertones Clark/Lex from Smallville or Kara/Lena on Supergirl?

So I get that people will ship who they ship. But Kara and Lena talk to each other like adult women who are friends and support each other. To me.

Clark and Lex acted like boyfriends half the time. Lex was constantly on him to open up and be honest with him. All their fights were about BETRAYAL in a way that sounded like they were a couple. Lex's biggest gripe with Clark through everything was that he didn't choose Lex - as a confidant first but then as a partner. Even him marrying Lana seemed like a move to make Clarke jealous. The person who wrote a Lex diary portraying him as a smitten 14-year-old was hilariously spot on.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, sskrill said:

I can see why people ship Supercorp - Melissa and Katie have a lot of chemistry.  Personally I don't see them as a couple as Kara seems completely straight to me (not that anyone is completely straight).  I have to admit Lena gives off some serious power-lesbian vibes and that might be interesting to play with - she likes Kara who doesn't reciprocate, or she tries to muscle in on Alex or Maggie.  That could bring out a side to her that people wouldn't like without her going "bad", and could make some of her motivation questionable.

I'm telling you guys, I'm holding out for an Alex/Lena fling when Sanvers (inevitably, because it's the CW, and temporarily) breaks up. That would be hot and make Kara and Maggie's heads explode.

Kara/Lena have a ton of chemistry imo. I don't ship it, but I get why people do, especially as Kara sparks with zero guys on the show. I don't see James/Winn at all--I actually really like their odd couple friends chemistry, but don't see romantic/sexual sparks. If Winn sparks with anyone romantically, tbh it's Mon-El!

I actually wondered if the showrunners heard about Supercorp and told the actresses to take it down a few notches. This episode was the most platonic they've ever felt to me. All of their other episodes have been a lot flirtier imo. I do think KM, at least, has until this episode played Lena such that if the writers were to write a "Lena has an unrequited crush on Kara" storyline, it would not feel out of left field to me.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I'm telling you guys, I'm holding out for an Alex/Lena fling when Sanvers (inevitably, because it's the CW, and temporarily) breaks up. That would be hot and make Kara and Maggie's heads explode.

I do think KM, at least, has until this episode played Lena such that if the writers were to write a "Lena has an unrequited crush on Kara" storyline, it would not feel out of left field to me.

Yeah i was thinking she pursues Alex to get at Kara or she pursues Maggie to hurt the person Kara cares most about.  But honestly I don't want to see either so hopefully it doesn't go there.

Oh, I don't even need Lena to be that shady. Just a good old-fashioned rebound for Alex that will annoy Maggie forever once she and Alex get back together. ;) (Disclaimer: I know it will never happen because the show will never make Lena anything other than straight. I just enjoy imagining the soapy goodness!)

• Love 1

So after one episode of "Kara is upset at being unemployed" she gets her job back (I know it was three episodes ago she was fired, but this was the only episode that really dealt with her job search). They could at least have her struggling to find a new job - maybe have her temping at the alien bar for a week (or something else that doesn't require any new sets). Even if it's inevitable she'll be back at Catco eventually, at least have her work to get her job back!

As for the Lena Luthor & her ex plot: Goddamit Kara, did you HAVE to say, "I'll always stand by you"* (or however she worded it) because that pretty much guarantees she'll now turn evil. Hope it doesn't happen, but I fear it's inevitable.

JapMo Hasn't he ever heard of corporate espionage?  I didn't quite hear the password, but I know it was just a word...no numbers, letters, symbols.  Puhleeze.

It would have been more believable to have NO password (he'd forgotten to log out, say) - sloppy security, but the sort of thing people do all the time IRL.

Lantern7 "We had to get Kara her job back. It was that or alter her narration in the opening. Our hand were tied."

Change the status quo? Don't be ridiculous!

* And the Shippers went wild!

On 5/1/2017 at 5:05 AM, stealinghome said:

Oh, I don't even need Lena to be that shady. Just a good old-fashioned rebound for Alex that will annoy Maggie forever once she and Alex get back together. ;) (Disclaimer: I know it will never happen because the show will never make Lena anything other than straight. I just enjoy imagining the soapy goodness!)

Eh... while I don't think Lena is being written as bi, even if she was I honestly don't see any reason why those two would end up together. Lena's 'type' seems to be optimistic do gooder dreamers and Alex, other than when she was acting like a lovesick teen in the early stages of her relationship Maggie, is a much tougher, more cynical character.

Actually based on what she seemed to like about Jack and Kara (as a friend or otherwise) Winn strikes me as much closer to Lena's type than anyone else in the cast.

I actually have wondered whether the show will flirt with getting Lena and Winn together next season. They sparked fairly well in whatever the bank robber episode was (2x05?), they have complementary interests, and they can bond over NOT wanting to go evil like their parents!

• Love 2

I liked this episode! I, too, really hope Rhea doesn't turn Lena bad.

The chemistry between Kara and Lena is great, second only to Kara and Alex. But I don't see them as romantic. My closest female friend and I are constantly mistaken for a lesbian couple. It happens all the time! We'll even be out with her husband and kid, and people will assume we're the couple and the child is ours. I think Kara/Lena do love each other, they are very emotionally attached, and yeah...if the choice is Kara or a killer nanobot ex, I'd hope Lena would choose Kara. I like the portrayal of an angst-free, totally supportive, loving, nonsexual female friendship. We've seen several loving relationships among women on this show, actually: Alex/Kara, Alex/Maggie, Cat/Kara. They all work very well and don't all need to be sexual. In my experience, the variations are true to life.

• Love 3