Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Box

Norma is desperate to connect with Norman; Dylan must decide if he should risk his life to save a loved one; Romero hopes a former colleague can help him determine Norman's involvement in a crime.

Well if everyone in town is as breakable as Nick Ford then Dylan should just grab a gun and  hop on the nearest horse (motorcycle) and head over to zane's Hideout.  He'll be controlling the entire marijuana biz in no time at all.  

At least now we know for sure who killed Miss Watson (I miss Miss Watson.)    It was a real shame that she died so soon.  I honestly wouldn't have minded having her around for a little longer.  I am sick and twisted that way.  

HI Mother!

Best sight visual of the episode was watching Norma jump up and down frantically on camera (with no sound) trying to get inside  Dylan's drug office.  THat was just funny as hell.  

I am starting to really freak out about Emma.  I am not really sure what to make of her anymore.  On any other show I would just think she is a nice girl  who has had enough of the constant crazy but this last episode she has frightened me a little.  (Does she even have a family of her own?)  There is just something off about her lately.  

Question of the night:  Would Norma have asked Norman to commit murder to save Dylan's life?

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 3

So, they finally revealed it.  Norman did kill Miss Watson, because she totally was a dirty woman, who liked them young!  That made all their scenes way back in S1 even creepier.  But now Norman also knows the truth and what happens with his blackouts.  Yeah, I suspect some big stuff is going to come out of this.  Plus, it sounds like Romero is really zoning on him as the killer, so I wonder how he'll wiggle out of that.

Damn, Dylan killed Nick Ford!  That's one way to take out the competition.  But, now it seems like not only is Jodie giving him the go ahead to ice Zane, but Zane might be wanting him to do the same with Jodie.  Decisions, decisions, Dylan.  Maybe you can get them both and take it over for yourself!  Remo would probably be down with it.

Emma is breaking my heart, especially since, if she knew any better, not being part of their "family", would be the best thing to happen to her. The close she gets, the more endangered she is.  But she clearly wants some kind of family, even though I'm not quite sure whatever happen to her father (who taught Norman taxidermy.)

Norma and George already broke-up, but I'm not sure if that's going to lead into anything.

Vera Farmiga had some really great moments tonight; especially her freaking out in front of the security camera at the weed warehouse.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

Regardless of the truth about Norman killing Miss Watson, I think that it's probably in Romero's best interest to keep the Bates' content, especially if Dylan moves up to the top rung of the pot ladder. Nick Ford's not around to keep her investigation going anymore. No one but Norman knows for sure who killed her and I'm assuming he will adopt Norma's twisted logic and start believing he's better off denying his dark passenger.....or accepting it and become a Dexter.

I'm just not so sure how Dylan can keep from having a target on his back now. He has to kill Zane & recruit his henchmen & Ford's to stay alive.

The acting just keeps getting better. Emma broke my heart as well last night. The scenes with Norman in the box were good & creepy.

Vera Farmiga was on Letterman last night. She was talking about what a pain it is to raise children. :)

• Love 3
Why hasn't Dylan just left town yet?

I think it fits what we know of Dylan’s character that he has stayed around. Even though he has fallen out with his family, he still feels a connection to them. And since I’m guessing that Dylan doesn’t have any other support or college education to fall back on, he sees the financial benefits of this drug business. It’s not about loving money, but the lure or security of it for someone that probably never had it before. He’s been hinted at being a “bad boy” with street smarts from the start; it fits him to stick around even when the going gets hard (or even dangerous). I don’t think Dylan is a stranger to having to tough things out.  I agree, I don’t think he’s in love with Jodi, but I do think that’s a missed opportunity to develop a relationship for Dylan.

Is...Nick Ford dead?

Most of the cast are simply listed as guest stars. Now I imagine that could change if TPTB decide to pick them up as regulars for next season, but as of right now only Norma, Norman, Dylan, Emma, and Romera are credited in the openings as the show’s stars.  That being said, I’m going with Nick being dead and the actor simply a multi episode role like Abernathy last season. 

How does this help Norman?

Well he’s now off the hook dealing with any kind of retribution for Miss Watson’s death from her father, the drug king pin. Now he just has Romero to deal with.  Which is rather disappointing because I was looking forwards to seeing how Norman was going to juggle both the law and the criminal world.

But her getting so pissy about Norma not letting her in on family secrets kind of felt sudden to me.

Yes, that seemed to come out of nowhere.

What happens if someone wants to check in in the middle of the night?

I’ve wondered that too! Or if a guest needs something in the middle of the night?  Is there an after-hours buzzer or phone line up to the main house? Good thing no one needed it when Norma was off screwing George and Norman was being kidnapped.

When Norman attacked Caleb, it seemed like Norma had taken over Norman's body and was acting through him. But in the latest episode -- both when he imagined her appearing to him in the box, and when he flashed back to the night of Miss Watson's murder -- it's more like Norman is so attuned to her that his extreme empathy for her allows him to project her into events she's not actually present for. She lives in the world, and in his head? Or they're linked on a psychic level in some other way?

Yes! This bothered me too. I think we need some input from that shrink Norman and Norma visited to connect these two different psychiatric breaks from reality that Norman seems to have.

Have I missed anything in terms of George and his sister and why they're trying to get an in with Norma? I feel like there's always been more to it but they've just played up the disastrous Norma / George relationship.

Norman's "NOOOOO" was so Star Wars like I couldn't help but laugh.

Edited by maculae
Have I missed anything in terms of George and his sister and why they're trying to get an in with Norma? I feel like there's always been more to it but they've just played up the disastrous Norma / George relationship.

No, you didn't miss anything. I feel the same way and I'm still waiting for more explanation/development on those two. 

• Love 1

This episode was dark, and I was a bit frightened watching it, especially for Dylan. 

I was surprised to learn that Norman actually had killed Miss Watson, but I was even more surprised that he now remembers doing it.  The evidence was obtained illegally so that can't use that to pin it on him, so the only other way is to get a confession, and that is doubtful, because Norman would then be locked up, and we know that cannot happen in terms of where the story is heading.  

One thing I thought was odd was the sheriff went to the Bates home to talk to Norman and Norma said he was sick/sleeping.  He had just come from the motel office where Emma claimed Norma had been looking for Norman too.  I'm surprised Romero didn't question Norma on that point.

Romero knows that Norma's a liar and would say anything to protect Norman. He's also aware that there's a whole lotta creepy, crazy, criminal things happening with the Bates and he seems willing to look the other way with much of it, and when it benefits him, but the fact that Norman may be a psychotic killer is something he needs to be up on. As big a hassle as it can be, he's got to enforce the law every now and then.

• Love 1

Best sight visual of the episode was watching Norma jump up and down frantically on camera (with no sound) trying to get inside  Dylan's drug office.  THat was just funny as hell.  

Yes! Loved that.

• Love 1

Love Norma's breakup speech to George. Loved that whole scene, in fact, including Norma changing her mind and running after him.

But my favorite scene? Norma keening and crumpling to the floor after she learns that Norman's semen was found in Miss Watson's body. Pure mother love/fear -- such a contrast from last week's grossness! The show does a fantastic job of showcasing her strengths and weaknesses as a mother.

But as usual, the weed business is boring. Oooh, maybe Zane isn't the dumbass Dylan and Jodi think he is ZZZZZZZZZ. The whole thing feels like it was written by someone whose only walk on the wild side was going to Tufts instead of Brown. :)

• Love 3

Vera totally owned the episode, of course, with Sheriff Suddenly Susan coming in a  close second (poor confused George--run, George, run like the wind!).

By the way, this is driving me a bit mad: they are the Bateses, not the Bates. I cannot turn off my inner editor.

• Love 2

"I'm in HIGH SCHOOL!" Heh. I don't know why but that just cracked me up.

Doesn't Emma seem to be a bit cray cray of late? She just seems so desperate. Odd.

I don't think she is. And of course she's desperate. The poor girl has been craving for some affection and clearly sees Norma as a mother figure and has been having a crush on Norman from the beginning (god knows why, but that's another story).

We never got to see her dad this season so she seems super lonely, except for Cupcake Boy.

I just wanted to give Emma a big hug this episode, the way she was holding back her tears while giving her big speech to Norma. Too bad the timing was really shit, with Norma worried sick about Norman.

• Love 2

Romero knows that Norma's a liar and would say anything to protect Norman. He's also aware that there's a whole lotta creepy, crazy, criminal things happening with the Bates and he seems willing to look the other way with much of it, and when it benefits him, but the fact that Norman may be a psychotic killer is something he needs to be up on.

On this point -- why did Romero look so stricken (if I read his expression correctly) when Norma confessed that Nick Ford had taken Norman? In Season 1, Romero was completely poker-faced when Norma was all "OMG Abernathy is going to kill me and my boys HAALP!"

Was Romero internally freaking out because an all-out drug war was threatening to take over the town? Did he feel bad for Norma? I don't get his character -- last season he was sort of a standard-issue Dirty Harry character, but this season he's like Dirty Harry + FEELS....

• Love 1

Nick Ford having Norman is very bad for Romero because Nick Ford might start to suspect Norman killed his daughter (just like Romero is suspecting now), so as far as Romero knew, the biggest drug lord in town is gonna be pissed at him for putting away the wrong guy and letting the real murderer slip by. ALSO Romero likes Norma more now than he did before, so there is that, too. I think it's a number of things combined.

Norman's "NOOOOO" was so Star Wars like I couldn't help but laugh.

Yeah, the scream complete with the camera pulling up, up and away was hilariously melodramatic.

On this point -- why did Romero look so stricken (if I read his expression correctly) when Norma confessed that Nick Ford had taken Norman? In Season 1, Romero was completely poker-faced when Norma was all "OMG Abernathy is going to kill me and my boys HAALP!"

Romero season 1 dealt with Norma with thinly veiled contempt. Except not very thinly and not very veiled. It was a very "oh God, this lady again." This season seems to be more friendship based. So more of a "oh Norma."

• Love 2

Interesting to see Norman regain some of his memory during his black out session thus confirming that he did kill his former teacher. The preview for the finale looked promising.

I've been affectionately calling the guy that plays Romero "Mascara man" cause "Guyliner Man" just doesn't have the same ring to it even though that's what it is. lol

• Love 1
(edited)

Norman's hallucination inside the titular box: 

Norman, honey, I'm right here with you. It's all gonna be okay.
Are you sure?
Yeah, of course I'm sure.
But what if I can't find you?
I'm always with you. Everybody's mother lives inside them. If you're ever worried about something, just hear my voice saying, 'It's gonna be okay'—and it is.
I love you, Mother.
I love you, too.
Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 3