Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: Uncharted Territory

• Start Topic

The crabs have vanished, which ignites a grueling hunt to save the fleet's way of life. Captain Sig returns to the helm after a major heart attack. Wild Bill debuts his own brand new boat in a crisis season. A rescue is attempted for a heart attack victim.

My family had quite the laugh at the Wild Bill stuff. Oh my goodness, lol! New hair-do (ponytail), the new boat Summer Bay, palm tree logos, "attitude makes the difference" lolololol. Basically, the total opposite of Bill. His mind must really be on retirement. It's either that or he's finally having a midlife crisis. Lol at him trying to remain calm by tending to his roast. Even Keith finds this whole thing hilarious. Good prank.

The theme of this episode was the captains trying to remain calm

Sean and his hippie gang are doing their usual chillaxin' and doing decent. Jake is still 2 seconds away from having a stroke or a heart attack. Dude's gonna throw the bait boy overboard probably. 

Sig needs to stop smoking asap. At least he trying to remain calm. He managed to dissolve his and Jake's 5 minute partnership in a rather gentle manner. I'm just glad he didn't suspect Jake of trying to screw him over or something.

Poor Johnathan. The Time Bandit always has the worst luck.

No Cornelia Marie... 

Nice!

Sounds like the West is where the crab are at.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 4

Jake did look like he was about to have a stroke or heart attack. Using the wrong combination of bait was a stupid mistake, something his deck boss should have caught. Sig was right to back away from the partnership. He's given Jake a lot of help. It's time for Jake to step up. The Time Bandit segments were interesting. I'm glad they took the trouble to show us how much of the metal was eaten by the oxidation, as well as the folly of just painting over it. I hope the Cornelia Marie doesn't appear in the show this season.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I hope the Cornelia Marie doesn't appear in the show this season.

Josh Harris put out on social media a few months ago that the CM would NOT be on the show.  YAY!!!!  The Brenna A captain is a much better role model for young men in ANY industry.  To see how much wiser and more professional he is than Josh is refreshing.

• Love 3

Jake A is falling from any sort of grace. IMO Poor guy just is not ready to captain a boat. I think his ambition out paced his capabilities. He gets a great quota and instead of being happy he immediately jumps to stress.  He doesn't believe in himself so his crew doesn't believe in him either.  He runs to Sig to fix it.  Sig was there for him but ultimately right to cut the apron strings. I hope Jake does well, really well so maybe he can get some self confidence.  

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, terrymct said:

The boat that had the Coast Guard remove a person who was having a heart attack was called the Seabrook. Is that the same ship that used to be on the show?

I wondered the same thing. Was that Junior's boat?

I was also wondering if Jake's crew were purposely half-assing the bait bags over the ass-chewing he gave them earlier. Of course they deserved it. But he still doesn't have a handle on his crew yet and that is kinda sad. They have a great quota and you would think they would be a little thankful for that.

Also wonder if they are leading up to Jake's boat owner splitting the quota with the Breanna A if Jake can't pull it off....

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I was also wondering if Jake's crew were purposely half-assing the bait bags over the ass-chewing he gave them earlier. Of course they deserved it. But he still doesn't have a handle on his crew yet and that is kinda sad. They have a great quota and you would think they would be a little thankful for that.

Also wonder if they are leading up to Jake's boat owner splitting the quota with the Breanna A if Jake can't pull it off....

Jake needs to fire at least some of these guys when they get back to port.  They're clearly testing their boundaries with him, starting with the damn trip to the sauna.   

• Love 4
12 hours ago, terrymct said:

The boat that had the Coast Guard remove a person who was having a heart attack was called the Seabrook. Is that the same ship that used to be on the show?

Yes, Seabrooke is Junior's boat and according to the DC website, Junior is not longer crab fishing, but his Dad and other family members are.

• Love 3

I wish they would do a "where are they now" episode that would let us know about Junior.  I know some people left on bad terms, but many didn't, and why not throw them a few hundred bucks and give them some airtime?  Remember Hiram? Well-oiled Crosby?  

Who would you like to see and find out what they're up to now?

• Love 3

I love when they repeat those very early episodes - it's amazing how young they all were and how much more healthy they looked. Well, we could not get through one show without Jake having a major meltdown/temper tantrum. He is 36 and it is about time he grow up.  How about Wild Bill's new look !  I think I like the hair flowing better. Boy, he is risking a lot buying a new boat and it looks like he and Zach have not reconciled. Keith seemed to be more mellow now that he has stopped drinking. And, your right, poor Johnathan, the TB always has the worst luck(outside of the CM of course), I thought they just did a new paint job and rehaul  just a few years ago.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NEGirl said:

And, your right, poor Johnathan, the TB always has the worst luck(outside of the CM of course), I thought they just did a new paint job and rehaul  just a few years ago.

It was September, 2012.  This is a picture of me looking at the Time Bandit when it was being overhauled in Kodiak.  They spent about half a million then . . . and it sounds like the new paint job is going to be big bucks, too.

Picture1.gif

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 4

Man, how refreshing to not have the Harris boy(s) crammed down my throat.  Of course, Disco could not resist a cameo still shot of Phil being shown.

I totally missed the payoff of Keith's gear being at the mercy of the TB's dry dock.  Did they ever say how he got it?  

Bill thoroughly screwed up his retirement.  He's a grown man and he made a familial decision.  Delusional, but familial.

The "missing" bio masses was an enormous Disco misdirect.  They were right where the fleet thought they would be.

How huge was the premium for quota paid by the Saga ownership?  It had to be ginormous.  And they entrusted Jake Anderson to harvest it.  Just wow.

My, how far Sig has come in embracing media.  Could you ever have imagined the taping and airing of a conversation like the one we saw of him and his wife in the truck?  It was also quite something that he easily acknowledged that his going out was a choice and in no way a necessity.  A stupid man, he is not.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, kassa said:

Who would you like to see and find out what they're up to now?

I always liked Eric, and I think his boat was the Rollo. He seemed to have kind of a calm, zen-like approach to everything. I remember in one episode, he was ready to head out, and told the crew something like, "Hey, you know that thing we do where we pull up the anchor, float out to sea, and then try to catch some crab? We're gonna do that now." It was funny.

• Love 7

I suspect that some of the Time Bandit's problems are Andy doing deals on the cheap.  The overhaul five (?) years ago had all sorts of problems, and now they are in a Seattle dock getting the rust scraped off by people who aren't scraping the rust off.  References and well-written contracts should handle these issues; going all the way to Seattle for service doesn't mean the service is going to be any better.

And the Wizard doesn't have their sorting table and coiler - images from the show  had them unloading the pots into those carts, and coiling by hand.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I suspect that some of the Time Bandit's problems are Andy doing deals on the cheap.  The overhaul five (?) years ago had all sorts of problems, and now they are in a Seattle dock getting the rust scraped off by people who aren't scraping the rust off.  References and well-written contracts should handle these issues; going all the way to Seattle for service doesn't mean the service is going to be any better.

And the Wizard doesn't have their sorting table and coiler - images from the show  had them unloading the pots into those carts, and coiling by hand.

Looks like they're at Lake Union Dry Dock, normally a first rate operation.

On 4/12/2017 at 8:52 AM, terrymct said:

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/490262/cold-bay-alaska-fishing-vessel-medevac

http://fisherynation.com/archives/tag/fv-seabrooke

What, Jake?  I can't take a schvitz without you turning into a complete meshugenah?

It's becoming painfully clear that Jake does not have the temperament for the captain's chair.   His men don't respect him, or fear him, while Jake seems like any minute he'll start bawling in rage.    His boss is pressing him on the phone (and will obviously see this footage).   Not looking good for Mr. Anderson at the moment.

Meanwhile, over on the Northwestern, Sig lights a cig to celebrate Heart Health Month.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Meanwhile, over on the Northwestern, Sig lights a cig to celebrate Heart Health Month.

I bet Mrs Sig will declare the Northwestern a No Smoking zone and not even let the crew smoke.  Them Sig can't bum cigarettes off of them.

SIG:  THIS IS YOUR LIFE.  DON'T SMOKE.  EVER.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, millennium said:

And I lit one in commiseration with him. :~)

2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

SIG:  THIS IS YOUR LIFE.  DON'T SMOKE.  EVER.

SOOO much easier said than done.  It is an addiction like no other; I understand it on an intimate level, for sure, and I understand Sig, too.  All the begging and recriminations, health risks and skyrocketing costs - often do nothing except make a true addict want to smoke even more.  It doesn't make any sense, but it also doesn't mean the smoker is stupid or weak in character.

Jake needs to stop hiring his "buddies", and needs to get a grip.  He's an emotional toddler (perhaps due in part to his own addictions and life circumstances); he could benefit from some serious counselling.

Still loving Sean and the Brenna A ... so far he's conducted himself rather admirably.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

SOOO much easier said than done.  It is an addiction like no other; I understand it on an intimate level, for sure, and I understand Sig, too.  All the begging and recriminations, health risks and skyrocketing costs - often do nothing except make a true addict want to smoke even more.  It doesn't make any sense, but it also doesn't mean the smoker is stupid or weak in character.

I agree.  I was once on an anti-depressant - Paxil - for several years.  As life calmed down and I felt more able to cope, I tried to get off of it (I gained over 100 pounds as one of side-effects of being on it).  The first two tries were unsuccessful, even though I followed the doctor's instructions.  This stuff is worse than heroin to get off of.  The final (successful) attempt took me 5 months of misery.  And I know I'll never go back on it again.

I just don't want to see Sig going back downhill health-wise.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I agree.  I was once on an anti-depressant - Paxil - for several years.  As life calmed down and I felt more able to cope, I tried to get off of it (I gained over 100 pounds as one of side-effects of being on it).  The first two tries were unsuccessful, even though I followed the doctor's instructions.  This stuff is worse than heroin to get off of.  The final (successful) attempt took me 5 months of misery.  And I know I'll never go back on it again.

I just don't want to see Sig going back downhill health-wise.  

I'd imagine that Sig is much like me (and my Mum), who grew up around chain smokers (vowing to NEVER partake), and who started smoking at a very early age.  The younger brain (and genetics, brain chemistry, etc.) is much more susceptible to many addictions, but especially to smoking.  It is physical, emotional, and ridiculously difficult to get a handle on, since neither nicotine substitutes nor nicotine e-cigs can ever replace the desire for the real thing (not to mention the ingrained habit of doing "that thing" with your hands and your mouth for every occasion - from a cup of coffee, after a meal, during stress or boredom - the litany is endless).  Sometimes I think I'd rather be hooked on heroin and use methadone every day ... but then, I am one of the few who'll admit I LOVE everything about smoking, except the financial and health costs.  :-)

So, I've seen a couple of teasers announcing one captain will step down - forever.  The last episode teased that it might be Jonathan; but with these constant Disco games, it could be someone else, too.  Any clues out there?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

So, I've seen a couple of teasers announcing one captain will step down - forever.  The last episode teased that it might be Jonathan; but with these constant Disco games, it could be someone else, too.  Any clues out there?

"Even before the tragedy of the Destination, Captain Johnathan Hillstrand had already decided that this is his final season of crab fishing."

http://www.inquisitr.com/4058704/deadliest-catch-2017-who-is-leaving-show/

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Stampiron said:

"Even before the tragedy of the Destination, Captain Johnathan Hillstrand had already decided that this is his final season of crab fishing."

http://www.inquisitr.com/4058704/deadliest-catch-2017-who-is-leaving-show/

Thanks, @Stampiron.    :-)

I'm glad for Jon, but surmise there was quite the family drama around who'd take over the captain's chair, since in the past Jon was dead set against Andy's plans to give it to Scotty.

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, AZChristian said:

Whatever happened to Elliot Gould being the youngest OWNER of a crab boat - the Saga?? 

Drug rehab. 

I'm not sorry to not see the Harris boys. Their dad was the interesting one, they're both duds.  Hopefully JakeA will follow them off the show, he's just a raging idiot.  Who doesn't verify they're using the right bait?  I laughed and laughed when Sig told him to get lost.

Bill had the other facepalm moment by refusing to move out of his old harvesting grounds.  "Attitude makes the difference."  No, dumbass, ocean temperature does.  Sheesh. 

Still loving Sean and the Brenna A ... so far he's conducted himself rather admirably.

So much this.  He's the triumphant fanfare to JakeA's fail trombone.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, walnutqueen said:

I'd imagine that Sig is much like me (and my Mum), who grew up around chain smokers (vowing to NEVER partake), and who started smoking at a very early age.  The younger brain (and genetics, brain chemistry, etc.) is much more susceptible to many addictions, but especially to smoking.  It is physical, emotional, and ridiculously difficult to get a handle on, since neither nicotine substitutes nor nicotine e-cigs can ever replace the desire for the real thing (not to mention the ingrained habit of doing "that thing" with your hands and your mouth for every occasion - from a cup of coffee, after a meal, during stress or boredom - the litany is endless).  Sometimes I think I'd rather be hooked on heroin and use methadone every day ... but then, I am one of the few who'll admit I LOVE everything about smoking, except the financial and health costs.  :-)

I get you walnutqueen! It's the hardest addiction to quit, hands down. I only quit when I was diagnosed with cancer. Even than it was hard! I found e-cigarettes helped. The motion of having something in your hand and mouth is such a big obstacle! Coffee in the morning was the hardest!

Someone once said; "I feel sorry for people who don't drink coffee or smoke. Why else would you get up in the morning?"

• Love 2

Man, I've tried a couple of different e-cigs and they make me cough like crazy, but don't do much else for me.  My Mum tried Chantix, & it made her sicker than a dog and semi suicidal.

Two new episodes tonight, according to my DVR.***

*** Whoops - apparently the other episode my DVR is picking up is one of those rehashes called "Evolution of Danger".  I hate when Disco fakes out my DVR!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

My Mom tried to quit for many years and was unable to do so. Both her and my Dad past from smoking. I am glad I never started as I don't think I would have been able to stop.  I agree in that it is one of the hardest addictions to quit. Mick Lady - hope you are doing ok now.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

My Mom tried to quit for many years and was unable to do so. Both her and my Dad past from smoking. I am glad I never started as I don't think I would have been able to stop.  I agree in that it is one of the hardest addictions to quit. Mick Lady - hope you are doing ok now.

I'm doing great NEGirl! Thanks for asking. My friends here over on Supernatural (and my wonderful husband) were a huge help getting me through it! One of the very many reasons of love this place!

• Love 2
On 14 April 2017 at 0:01 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Whatever happened to Elliot Gould being the youngest OWNER of a crab boat - the Saga?? 

I think you mean Elliot Neese. (I think it was something like that...not sure on the spelling)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Gould

I can't believe they entrusted Jake A to that much of a quota...and that bait mistake?  Who is he hiring for his crew??

I understand the addiction of smoking been through some myself--I wish everyone all the best in quitting and/or trying.  xox.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, gryphon said:

I think you mean Elliot Neese. (I think it was something like that...not sure on the spelling  

Yes, you're right.  I remember reading back over my post a day or so later and my brain said, "That's not right" . . . but I just ADHD'd onto something else.  Thanks for catching that!

• Love 2